Options

Windows 7: Releasing on 10/22/09 - RC is Free to Download

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay I've only been using Win7 for about two days now but.... I don't get it. I don't get why I should spend more money for this OS other than if I ever stick two more gigs of ram in my comp. Don't get me wrong it's a fine OS but... I just don't get...."it".

What I like about 7, off the top of my head:

-less of a resource hog than Vista while having the Vista security advantages
    -better support for multi-GPU-multi-display setups (particularly with onboard GPUs)
    -better file transfer speeds in general (system to system over network, system to external HD/vice-versa)
    -better 'old' software compatibility than Vista (in my experience.)
    -built in ISO burning
    -the new window resizing features

That's what _I_ like, anyhow. The biggest part is that it's faster than Vista while offering the same advantages as Vista over XP.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Likewise. Win7 has been all about the little changes that make it easy to use and navigate, and the taskbar is near the top of that list. I use XP pretty much everyday due to work, and I find myself stumbling over the lack of shortcuts. It's kind of bad, actually. I really like how they probably unknowingly made it even easier to mostly use the keyboard. I try to use my mouse as little as possible when hopping around, and applications aside I can pretty much just use keyboard shortcuts. It's beautiful.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is there a way to move the Show Desktop button? Because why in the fuck would my mouse be over by the bottom right-hand side of the screen where nothing else of use is.

I hate arbitrary changes. Really I don't like much about any of the shit MS has done to clump everything together in one big blob of "simplification" since XP, but one must adapt.. change. I didn't find an easy way to get my old start menu back so I'm trying to deal with the idiocy they've been pushing since XP.

Also is there a way to get the Explorer to default to Computer instead of Libraries? Show me my drives, dickhead, not your fantasy categories that someone in abstract land dreamed up while jerking off on a picture of Steve Jobs.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rage, much? Man, with that much hate toward it, stick with XP or whatever else you've been using...

I do agree with the Libraries being default, though... I figured it was making duplicates when I manually switched around, but apparently saving an image to Libraries automatically makes it show up in "My Pictures" or whatever it's called now. Not my favorite feature

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Both of your problems can be solved by the use of keyboard shortcuts.

windows key + D will show your desktop, and a second time will restore your windows.

windows key + E will open Explorer at My Computer.

As for the start menu, you can trim a lot of the useless crap out. That's the best that can be done without registry hacks, I believe, and I'm not even sure there's much that can be done with hacks.

My start menu just has links to Downloads, Computer, Control Panel, Devices and Printers, and Run...(which is vestigial anyway because of winkey+R)

edit:

I'm also starting to realize the potential for the Libraries. At first I just ignored them like I did with My pictures, music, etc., but it kind of cleans up hunting around for all the stuff when you need a specific type of file. Take the 20 minutes to configure them and they make up for it over time.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh God, I forgot about libraries. Argh. I'm not looking forward to the first few hours after installation.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm actually really liking libraries. As I use Win7 more and more I find more and more uses for them. I think it's a really good feature.

FYI the concept of libraries was originally slated to be in Vista, but called "Virtual Folders" but it was one of the many pulled features.

The main problem with libraries will be user confusion. It's a completely new thing for consumers to grasp, and it'll probably take till Windows 8 for the masses to really "get" it.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Libraries are the selling point for me in this OS.

It's incredible.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    But I don't want to use libraries or anything else Microsoft thinks is a good way of replacing folders that have a specific use. The Music and Movies folders on my secondary drive are there for a reason - they occupy part of a 1TB drive, and they wouldn't fit on my 250GB that I use for Windows. My documents are safe on the second drive when I choose to reinstall or install an os on my machine. But still Microsoft insist on My Documents, My Music, My Videos and all that crap that nobody really uses, and now Libraries is just a new name for it.

If they'd just let me turn the damned thing off, I wouldn't be so annoyed.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rohan wrote: »
    But I don't want to use libraries or anything else Microsoft thinks is a good way of replacing folders that have a specific use. The Music and Movies folders on my secondary drive are there for a reason - they occupy part of a 1TB drive, and they wouldn't fit on my 250GB that I use for Windows. My documents are safe on the second drive when I choose to reinstall or install an os on my machine. But still Microsoft insist on My Documents, My Music, My Videos and all that crap that nobody really uses, and now Libraries is just a new name for it.

If they'd just let me turn the damned thing off, I wouldn't be so annoyed.

You can add custom folders to the music library, and it will merge them in the Library view. No harm, no foul.

*edit*

And by merge I mean it will not actually copy files, it will just show all the files as if they were in one folder.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    yea, I have all my music/video/docs on a seperate hard drive. I change the video library to point to that folder on that drive, and save to that drive. It's not hard. Hell, you could add 50 folders to that library, and just have the one default save location.

It's also great if you have things like video spread over 3 hard drives, like I do.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    But that's the same thing as displaying the Music folder as a shortcut on the desktop. I don't mind the Libraries as long as they're not being shoved in my face, and unfortunately they are.

Edit - I see what you guys are saying, I just don't want to use them. Microsoft thinks otherwise.

Rohan on

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Then don't use them. What harm are they causing you by existing? They don't do anything except sit there. They're not in your way at all.

If you want My Computer to open instead of libraries, here:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-explorer-defaults-libraries-folder-windows-7/

Sarksus on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is the RC going to be usable until the full release? I'll be building a new box soon and would love to just use W7 start to finish. I haven't heard anything, I imagine there would be some kind of cutoff or required-purchase date, any news on if / when that would occur?

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Is the RC going to be usable until the full release? I'll be building a new box soon and would love to just use W7 start to finish. I haven't heard anything, I imagine there would be some kind of cutoff or required-purchase date, any news on if / when that would occur?

The Release Candidate will expire on June 1st, 2010, so over a year from now. Starting in March of 2010, however, the OS will shut down every two hours. This makes using it difficult but it gives you time to back up your data before you purchase the operating system and reinstall or reinstall another OS.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Then don't use them. What harm are they causing you by existing? They don't do anything except sit there. They're not in your way at all.

If you want My Computer to open instead of libraries, here:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-explorer-defaults-libraries-folder-windows-7/

Taking up valuable space on my disk drive? :P

Seriously though, thanks for that link. They won't bother me at all now that I know how to bypass them when opening My Computer. They did irritate me to no end with the beta, which is why I said my first few hours after installing the RC will annoy me. But no fuss.

Rohan on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Do the libraries take up extra space? I thought the files stayed where they were stored, they were just aggregated to one location with Libraries. I imagined it worked like the search tool. When you search for something and it shows you a list of files those files never leave their location and they're not suddenly copied to a "Search" folder and take up more space.

I might be wrong, I don't know much about the Libraries.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    When I save to "My pictures", it shows up in both My Pictures, AND Libraries. When I save to Libraries, it shows up in Libraries AND My Pictures.

I would imagine it is only actually saved in one place.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I doubt they take up much space at all, I was just kidding.

Rohan on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh, alright then.

I haven't used the Libraries yet but I'll probably check it out.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yea, what libraries actually are are essentially saved, indexed searches, or a tool that will just show the contents of the folders you add to it.

You set a default save location for each library. So if you save a document to the "documents" library, it actually saves that document into the folder that is set as the default save location within that library.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Yea, what libraries actually are are essentially saved, indexed searches, or a tool that will just show the contents of the folders you add to it.

You set a default save location for each library. So if you save a document to the "documents" library, it actually saves that document into the folder that is set as the default save location within that library.

There was some confusion so I've done some truth liming here.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Libraries are awesome, for the one reason that I can include remote shares from my Windows 2003-based server on it (with Desktop Search 4.0 installed). Hit Windows key, type in the filename, and aggregate files from all locations at once, effortlessly. Sublime.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Did they put a classic theme in yet? That is probably the biggest thing I've been annoyed about with Win 7.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    Glen@microsoft-springboarGlen@microsoft-springboar __BANNED USERS new member
    edited May 2009
    "maximumzero wrote: So I downloaded the Beta when it first launched way back when.Do I need to download RC1 too, or is it an automatic update to the OS?Redownload."
    Thanks for your very valid question, you will have to download the R.C., and install over the Beta.

Glen

Glen@microsoft-springboard

Glen@microsoft-springboar on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I thought they always had classic in. Either way there's one in there now. :)

I wish there was a "classic" theme that still had Aero features, but oh well.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I seem to be having a few problems, but I've been out of the PC loop for a while, so it is probably my fault.

Trying various Nvidia graphical demos, which worked fine under Vista, some are running in 4:3, and not 16:9.

I have no idea why, and can't seem to find a specific driver for the laptop monitor anywhere...

Going to try another older GPU driver.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    There's been a windows classic theme in since the beta.

edit:

After using the Windows Classic theme since '95, I think it's about time for a change. XP's default theme was garbage, I'll give you that. Didn't give Vista a shot, so this is my first real entry into non-Classic theme that wasn't modded in. not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I <3 the snipping tool.

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    AfroJ wrote: »
    I <3 the snipping tool.

What can you do with it exactly. I really want to get OneNote, but if there is already a good alternative built into the OS I might not need it.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited May 2009

edit:

After using the Windows Classic theme since '95, I think it's about time for a change. XP's default theme was garbage, I'll give you that. Didn't give Vista a shot, so this is my first real entry into non-Classic theme that wasn't modded in. not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

I read somewhere that it was taken out in one of the builds, maybe it was wrong. So I guess I was annoyed about it for no reason.

I'm planning on giving it a shot, but I don't know. Change is scary.
    Fire BAAAADDDD

edit: I'm installing it on a second partition I just made right now. Let's see how this bitch works.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

edit:

See, I always thought the Windows Classic theme looked like asshole and that XP's default theme was pretty good. I do like Windows 7's default theme a lot more though so it doesn't matter anymore.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cronus wrote: »
    I <3 the snipping tool.

What can you do with it exactly. I really want to get OneNote, but if there is already a good alternative built into the OS I might not need it.

I'm using OneNote right now for all my classes and it's pretty amazing. I really suggest getting it.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cronus wrote: »
    I <3 the snipping tool.

I'm using OneNote right now for all my classes and it's pretty amazing. I really suggest getting it.

OneNote is truly amazing.

Regarding the themes: I still think it's pretty sill that Microsoft doesn't allow for native reskinning of the GUI, but yeah, if you go with Classic you are missing out on some pretty important features of desktop graphics composition.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    How do you make IE8 STOP keeping track of everywhere you've been? The whole "tabs history" and crap is bugging me.

Also, what's the best way to password a folder? I see that's an option in the properties now, but other than that are there better ways?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Running 7 now. Pretty easy install, haven't had a single driver question or anything. Didn't need to set up my network, it just all works. That's not too shabby.

Anyway to set up a more classic style start menu? Not the theme, but the actual layout, I never really liked how they did it default in xp (not sure how vista was.) I supposed I can always get used to it, but like I said, fire baaaadd.

Also, anyone with experience in getting google chrome to work mind telling me how all that works? I hate the look of IE.

Another question, is there anyway to squeeze the bottom bar smaller? It feels to huge to me.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Running 7 now. Pretty easy install, haven't had a single driver question or anything. Didn't need to set up my network, it just all works. That's not too shabby.

Anyway to set up a more classic style start menu? Not the theme, but the actual layout, I never really liked how they did it default in xp (not sure how vista was.) I supposed I can always get used to it, but like I said, fire baaaadd.

Also, anyone with experience in getting google chrome to work mind telling me how all that works? I hate the look of IE.

Another question, is there anyway to squeeze the bottom bar smaller? It feels to huge to me.

Regarding the taskbar:

Right-click on the taskbar and select properties. Select "Never Combine" from the Taskbar Buttons drop-down menu. This will separate the windows and give every tab a text label. In order to make the taskbar itself smaller select "Use small icons" just above the Taskbar Buttons drop-down menu.

Regarding Google Chrome:

The method that was recommended to me, and the one I use, is downloading the Google Channel Changer which switches which "channel" Google Chrome is tuned to when it checks for updates. There are three channels, stable, beta, and developer. Select the developer channel and from the wrench menu on Google Chrome select "About Google Chrome". It will check for updates and install a developer version. It's potentially not as stable but it works in 7. I don't know if someone found a better way but this way works fine for me.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for the toolbar help, it looks much better to me now.

About chrome, I actually found a work around that was insanely easy. All I had to do was right click on the shortcut, add in " --in-process-plugins" to the end of the 'target' line and it works perfect. I found it after googling how to get it to work.

edit: well my initial liking it has put me over, and now I wish I had a spare HDD that I could back up to and do a full fresh re-install

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've actually found that doing both fixes results in it being the most stable.

Blake T on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You could also just download the beta version of Chrome, that works in Win7 without the need to do anything special

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.