Options

Windows 7: Releasing on 10/22/09 - RC is Free to Download

1565758596062»

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    You're still gonna be reporting a 64bit processor to their stats servers either way..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Stay 64 bit, more programs are going over to it. And i've def noticed a speed difference now i'm using all 6gb of my ram...

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Valve only reports on the architecture of the installed OS for their hardware survey page. They may collect the processor type, but they don't currently report whether it's 32 or 64 bit.

They haven't put up the numbers for September yet, but August shows 64 bit installs increasing steadily, and I think the same was true for July.

xzzy on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    So getting back to this other debate.. I have both a 32 bit and 64 bit RTM from MSDN. I am at 64 bit RC now but I really have seen no advantages to it over a 32 bit OS.

Should I keep the fight alive and upgrade to 64 final edition to have more 64 bit copies of Windows out there, hopefully giving vendors more incentive to support it, or just go 32 bit and forget about the whole thing and be happy knowing I wont be getting more than 4 gigs of ram anytime soon?

If you're having driver trouble you can't overcome with 64-bit, and use less than 3 GB of RAM, then just use 32-bit.

There's no need to "keep the fight alive" because 64-bit has already won. It's quite well supported and now has a rather large install base, not to mention that the majority of new computers have a 64-bit OS.

If you're having problems with old hardware and don't need the extra RAM, you can stick with 32 bit until you need the RAM or they get around to making 64-bit drivers for whatever device is giving you problems.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    So.

The "regular" (S3? the one that actually powers the fans and shit down) sleep makes my computer lock up. Screen goes black, system powers down (or rather sleeps), but instantly wakes back up to a black screen and requires a hard reboot.

Hibernate does pretty much the same.

The other sleep (S1? the one where the fans keep spinning) works fine.

I'm on an ASUS P5QL Pro motherboard.

I thought I got this issue fixed last time I test-drove Win7. This time no luck. I've fucked with bios settings, fucked with other settings, I'm basically out of ideas. You guys have any?

I also have a P5QL Pro and I haven't noticed this issue. I go to Sleep from the start menu, leave it sleeping all night, and then wake it up in the morning and it's perfectly fine. Maybe if you leave it longer or lose power there's something wrong, but overnight doesn't seem to matter.

freakish light on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    OK so I am getting some weird ass prompt in W7...

I just did a fresh install of W7 on a dinosaur with a fairly new Wireless-N adapter, and when I try to connect to my wireless network (which does not broadcast its SSID), I type in the SSID, it works a little, then it comes back asking for user authentication.

I've tried my router login creds, my windows login creds, and even just plain old admin/admin and it comes back failed every time.

The strange part is, just an hour ago before I re-installed W7 on it, it was connecting fine with an identical configuration (except W7 was Build 7000 instead of 7100).

any ideas?

*edit*

When I change the SSID to broadcast, I bypass that prompt, then it asks me for my passphrase, which I enter, then it immediately asks for my "network security key" which is apparently different from my passphrase, and refuses my password entirely... what the hell?

*edit* aaaand a restart has cured all. I had a total system freakout. It was giving every process its own unmovable window O.o

Jasconius on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Europeans don't deserve balloons!

One of the odder Windows 7-related news lately.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ronya wrote: »
    Europeans don't deserve balloons!

One of the odder Windows 7-related news lately.

I think they are doing these things on purpose to get the add/story/product/whatever out there more quickly then it would otherwise.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Probably removed because you know some idiot's going to sue over balloons not being delivered for the party.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Jimmy5150Jimmy5150 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Probably removed because you know some idiot's going to sue over balloons not being delivered for the party.

quoted for truth. I remember reading about an incident where some lady tried to sue Microsoft because one of their ads had a (presumably) married couple using their computer together, but they weren't wearing rings on their fingers.

Either way, I hope they still deliver balloons to my launch party or I will be pissed.

Jimmy5150 on

jimmy5150-wide.png
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyone else having issues with Windows 7 loading a phantom Network?

The two computers in the family have this issue. Boot up, things load but internet isn't working. Look at network connections and it shows 2 connections, one of which is unknown (I only have one NIC in each machine).

I can fix it by going into adapters and disable/re-enable and then it removes the phantom one, but sometimes it will come back after a few hours.

It's the wierdest thing ever...

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I have one, but if I look in Network center it's called Virtual Box Host-Only Network..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sorry I haven't read the whole thread.

I want to try Windows 7 out on my EEE, I have a product key, will it still work? :?

symbolsor on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    symbolsor wrote: »

I want to try Windows 7 out on my EEE, I have a product key, will it still work? :?

It would have worked if you had read the entire thread. Now Windows 7 hates you and will never work for you again.
    NEVER!

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So after throwing Win7 on an older Turion X2 notebook I have, I'd just like to say fuck yeah one more time for it.

No matter what combination of drivers and CPU fixes I installed, the fucker would always run hot and have wireless gremlins. Win7 x64? Flawless, only needed a Windows-Update provided video card update for the onboard video and bam, Aero is on as well.

Should hopefully keep it ticking along until the Westmere notebooks show up. :D

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    symbolsor wrote: »

It would have worked if you had read the entire thread. Now Windows 7 hates you and will never work for you again.
    NEVER!

Noooooooooo!
    windoze.gif

symbolsor on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Do 64 bit free virus checkers exist for 7 yet?

I am just using a 32 bit Avira for Vista at the moment.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Velmeran wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with Windows 7 loading a phantom Network?

The two computers in the family have this issue. Boot up, things load but internet isn't working. Look at network connections and it shows 2 connections, one of which is unknown (I only have one NIC in each machine).

I can fix it by going into adapters and disable/re-enable and then it removes the phantom one, but sometimes it will come back after a few hours.

It's the wierdest thing ever...

What's the name of the phantom one, 1394 network connection?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was successful in installing Windows 7 on a Thinkpad R31 (P3 1.13 Ghz, 384 MB of RAM, 20 GB Hard Drive). It's not really usable and it's missing a decent amount of drivers, but it's pretty cool.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I don't know if you guys have seen this commercial yet but it is THE BEST THING EVER.

ALL HERALD... THE RETURN OF KYLIE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssOq02DTTMU

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Heh... I saw that while waiting for Supernatural tonight. I was pretty skeptical, and wondering why they were advertising so early, then midi-Europe kicked in, and I was like, "Fuck yeah!"

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Do 64 bit free virus checkers exist for 7 yet?

I am just using a 32 bit Avira for Vista at the moment.

Not entirely sure but all virus scanners will work the same 32/64 bit regardless.

Idoliside on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When is Microsoft's Virus Scanner due out, anyways?

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just randomly got a notice during start-up that my copy of Windows might not be genuine. There was an option to check, and it verified straight-away, but I thought it strange. Maybe it's trying to hint that it's time to move on from build 7057.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Technical question:
    does anyone know how to create an extended partition using the graphical installer for W7?
    TechNet isn't being very helpful...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Cyvros wrote: »
    I just randomly got a notice during start-up that my copy of Windows might not be genuine. There was an option to check, and it verified straight-away, but I thought it strange. Maybe it's trying to hint that it's time to move on from build 7057.

Yeh a small hint, "Btw, we know your on the Beta and we like that, we truly do! But could you, you know, possibly buy the full version now? No pressure, it's just our activation servers are now bubbling black liquid and would really like for people to stop abusing this free OS"

Idoliside on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Idoliside wrote: »
    Cyvros wrote: »

Yeh a small hint, "Btw, we know your on the Beta and we like that, we truly do! But could you, you know, possibly buy the full version now? No pressure, it's just our activation servers are now bubbling black liquid and would really like for people to stop abusing this free OS"
    I would be greatly amused if they did that to everyone on the pre-RTM builds once it hits the shelves.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    About Libraries.. they seem nice but would be nicer if the music one added only music files, the movies one added only video content, and so on. I guess my issue is that I have lots of different things in all my folders.

Also:

Holy shit did that commercial just bust into some Europe?

I had to watch it a second time, I thought for sure some other web page I had open had some kind of music playing. But then it really was The Final Countdown in that Windows 7 ad. Awesome.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    About Libraries.. they seem nice but would be nicer if the music one added only music files, the movies one added only video content, and so on. I guess my issue is that I have lots of different things in all my folders.

Also:

Holy shit did that commercial just bust into some Europe?

I had to watch it a second time, I thought for sure some other web page I had open had some kind of music playing. But then it really was The Final Countdown in that Windows 7 ad. Awesome.

Yeah, that ad went from zero to awesome in .07 seconds the second that music started playing.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Recoil42 wrote: »

It's still in beta, no word on public availability. I hope they get it out sooner rather than later. It's actually pretty good.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Recoil42 wrote: »

It's still in beta, no word on public availability. I hope they get it out sooner rather than later. It's actually pretty good.

I'm running it on my Win7 laptops, I like it so far.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What is the Microsoft Virus Scanner? I know they have OneLive or something.

Shens on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shens wrote: »
    What is the Microsoft Virus Scanner? I know they have OneLive or something.

it used to be OneCare, which was a pay product that they pulled off the shelves because no one bought it.

The new one is the easy to roll off the tongue name</sarcasm> "Microsoft Security Essentials."

It's a free product that is a basic anti-virus and anti-spyware software. It does not include all the bells and whistles of a product like norton 360, or the trend micro suites, but competes with AVG and Avast and the like. Microsoft's stratagy with it is that everyone should have a free, basic anti-virus for windows, but to not bake it into the OS to people who want to use something else can easily have.

IMO, I prefer security essentials to AVG or avast, and it's pretty light weight. It's only in mostly private beta right now, and I hope they get it out in final form soon, it does the job well in a no frills way.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sounds great. Thanks for the info.

Shens on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll definitely check that Microsoft scanner out when my free Norton trial runs out in a few weeks.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Whoever makes the next thread, have the decency to make a better OP. I am lazy.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Whoever makes the next thread, have the decency to make a better OP. I am lazy.

Ill work on one now.

Idoliside on