Options

Windows 7: Releasing on 10/22/09 - RC is Free to Download

145791062

Posts

  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Thanks for the toolbar help, it looks much better to me now.

    About chrome, I actually found a work around that was insanely easy. All I had to do was right click on the shortcut, add in " --in-process-plugins" to the end of the 'target' line and it works perfect. I found it after googling how to get it to work.

    edit: well my initial liking it has put me over, and now I wish I had a spare HDD that I could back up to and do a full fresh re-install

    Using that at the end of the shortcut is BAD BAD BAD. It disables Chrome's major security and stability feature of sandboxing...you'll end up with an often crashing browser, and much more vulnerable to exploits. Go ahead and switch to the dev channel and then remove that startup parameter. Dev has a lot of improvements, and you'll be glad you did.

    jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Anandtech just put out a great RC1 analysis along with feature outlines, performance differences, etc... it was a good read if you really want to know what's new in Windows 7.

    http://anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=3557


    I am most excited actually about the Direct2D font rendering... and the DWM RAM savings is a big plus too... probably the singular reason why W7 will run on stuff that Vista would be terrible on.

    Jasconius on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay, so Win7 is starting to grow on me. I get a few weird slow downs in TF2 every now and then that I don't get on XP but that is probably driver issues and my ping seems to be a bit higher when playing.

    I just wish it was possible to set individual programs to use different sound devices. Though I'm sure I'm a minority that actually uses 2 sound cards.

    LittleBoots on

    Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm not sure how lazy I'm supposed to be about drivers and whatnot.

    Like.. am I supposed to install chipset drivers for my motherboard and shit? Because I haven't bothered and my performance seems pretty much the same and everything works. So I'm leaning towards not bothering.

    FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FightTest wrote: »
    I'm not sure how lazy I'm supposed to be about drivers and whatnot.

    Like.. am I supposed to install chipset drivers for my motherboard and shit? Because I haven't bothered and my performance seems pretty much the same and everything works. So I'm leaning towards not bothering.

    Windows should have done that for you, and being that this is a RC they [the ones bundled with windows7] are probably the most up to date out there right now.

    LittleBoots on

    Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So a friend is doing his best to try and convince me not to upgrade to Win 7, here's our convo.
    [21:33] Span_Wolf: So I've read all the articles in the last few weeks and every expert and their mother is saying upgrade from vista to Win7, it's better and more stable than Vista SP1. That and a dozen pages of people gushing about it on PA forums. So why did you say not to do it if I already had Vista 64?
    [21:34] *********: yeah it's awesome
    [21:35] *********: but there's some networking bugs and you have to reboot a lot to fix them
    [21:35] *********: so it's still not THAT much better
    [21:35] Span_Wolf: kinda better is still better?
    [21:35] *********: if you've got vista 64 you're better off for now than windows 7
    [21:36] Span_Wolf: yes but why
    [21:40] *********: because i said so and i KNOW?
    [21:40] *********: because i've been doing this for 12 years now:?
    [21:40] *********: because i've been BETA TESTING for 10 years?
    [21:41] Span_Wolf: I'm asking you to help me understand why, not blind faith. You are the sole voice telling me not to upgrade right now
    [21:41] Span_Wolf: I've already backed everything up and I have the ISO burned to disk and ready to hit go
    [21:42] *********: BECAUSE SHIT IS STILL BROKEN ON IT
    [21:42] *********: IT"S A BETA!!!
    [21:42] *********: BETA IS FOR WHEN YOU KNOW YOU DON"T NEED YOUR PC FOR OTHER SHIT
    [21:42] Span_Wolf: Release Candidate
    [21:42] *********: BECAUSE I SAID SO AND I KNOW WHAT I"M DOING
    [21:42] *********: RC = public beta dude
    [21:42] *********: DUH
    [21:44] Span_Wolf: anything significant that's broken, why is it any different between 32 bit and 64 bit
    [21:44] *********: what the hell are you talking about o.o
    [21:45] *********: there's NO difference between 32 and 64 bit
    [21:45] *********: there's HUGE difference between VISTA 64bit and Windows 7 64 or 32 bit
    [21:45] *********: 64bit is only so you can run more than 2.5 gigs of ram
    [21:45] Span_Wolf: you said sure upgrade, then when I said I had Vista 64 you said oh wait no if you have Vista 64 bit don't
    [21:45] *********: RIGHT
    [21:45] *********: because windows vista 64bit is 300,000,000 times more stable than 32bit
    [21:45] *********: they're updating it more
    [21:46] *********: and if you're using business or ultimate, it's even BETTER than home premium
    [21:46] *********: if you were using vista 32bit home basic
    [21:46] *********: i'd say go fucking install windows 7
    [21:46] *********: but if you're running vista 64bit ultimate or business
    [21:46] *********: keep it
    [21:46] *********: there's still fucking HUGE bugs that need to be resolved
    [21:46] *********: and some games don't work
    [21:46] Span_Wolf: like?
    [21:46] *********: and XP "emulation" mode has NO 3D rendering
    [21:46] *********: and networking breaks
    [21:46] *********: like STOPS WORKING
    [21:46] *********: you have to reboot to fix it
    [21:47] *********: and GeForce drivers are still beta for it
    [21:47] *********: and unsigned
    [21:47] *********: and some games don't work right
    [21:47] *********: and there's some problems with DX10
    [21:47] *********: it's a FUCKING BETA
    [21:47] *********: there's BUGS
    [21:47] *********: unless you WANT to use beta software
    [21:47] *********: stay on 64bit vista
    What say you guys?

    The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would say name me a windows release that doesn't still have bugs. As far as networking bugs I haven't had any. So far Win7 has been rock solid for me but I've only really played TF2 on it. Mind you that this is a TF2 install from a XP 32 bit partition that I just decided to try and run for shits and giggles and it works fine in Win7 64bit. So... yeah, that's all I got.

    LittleBoots on

    Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So a friend is doing his best to try and convince me not to upgrade to Win 7, here's our convo.
    [21:33] Span_Wolf: So I've read all the articles in the last few weeks and every expert and their mother is saying upgrade from vista to Win7, it's better and more stable than Vista SP1. That and a dozen pages of people gushing about it on PA forums. So why did you say not to do it if I already had Vista 64?
    [21:34] *********: yeah it's awesome
    [21:35] *********: but there's some networking bugs and you have to reboot a lot to fix them
    [21:35] *********: so it's still not THAT much better
    [21:35] Span_Wolf: kinda better is still better?
    [21:35] *********: if you've got vista 64 you're better off for now than windows 7
    [21:36] Span_Wolf: yes but why
    [21:40] *********: because i said so and i KNOW?
    [21:40] *********: because i've been doing this for 12 years now:?
    [21:40] *********: because i've been BETA TESTING for 10 years?
    [21:41] Span_Wolf: I'm asking you to help me understand why, not blind faith. You are the sole voice telling me not to upgrade right now
    [21:41] Span_Wolf: I've already backed everything up and I have the ISO burned to disk and ready to hit go
    [21:42] *********: BECAUSE SHIT IS STILL BROKEN ON IT
    [21:42] *********: IT"S A BETA!!!
    [21:42] *********: BETA IS FOR WHEN YOU KNOW YOU DON"T NEED YOUR PC FOR OTHER SHIT
    [21:42] Span_Wolf: Release Candidate
    [21:42] *********: BECAUSE I SAID SO AND I KNOW WHAT I"M DOING
    [21:42] *********: RC = public beta dude
    [21:42] *********: DUH
    [21:44] Span_Wolf: anything significant that's broken, why is it any different between 32 bit and 64 bit
    [21:44] *********: what the hell are you talking about o.o
    [21:45] *********: there's NO difference between 32 and 64 bit
    [21:45] *********: there's HUGE difference between VISTA 64bit and Windows 7 64 or 32 bit
    [21:45] *********: 64bit is only so you can run more than 2.5 gigs of ram
    [21:45] Span_Wolf: you said sure upgrade, then when I said I had Vista 64 you said oh wait no if you have Vista 64 bit don't
    [21:45] *********: RIGHT
    [21:45] *********: because windows vista 64bit is 300,000,000 times more stable than 32bit
    [21:45] *********: they're updating it more
    [21:46] *********: and if you're using business or ultimate, it's even BETTER than home premium
    [21:46] *********: if you were using vista 32bit home basic
    [21:46] *********: i'd say go fucking install windows 7
    [21:46] *********: but if you're running vista 64bit ultimate or business
    [21:46] *********: keep it
    [21:46] *********: there's still fucking HUGE bugs that need to be resolved
    [21:46] *********: and some games don't work
    [21:46] Span_Wolf: like?
    [21:46] *********: and XP "emulation" mode has NO 3D rendering
    [21:46] *********: and networking breaks
    [21:46] *********: like STOPS WORKING
    [21:46] *********: you have to reboot to fix it
    [21:47] *********: and GeForce drivers are still beta for it
    [21:47] *********: and unsigned
    [21:47] *********: and some games don't work right
    [21:47] *********: and there's some problems with DX10
    [21:47] *********: it's a FUCKING BETA
    [21:47] *********: there's BUGS
    [21:47] *********: unless you WANT to use beta software
    [21:47] *********: stay on 64bit vista
    What say you guys?

    Well, he's got some good reasons in there. It is pre-release software and Vista 64 is very stable. Two of the reasons I'm waiting longer for 7. I'm just curious why he wrapped his good reasons up with so much stupid and caps lock.

    Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The difference between what is pre-release and what is release is just the developers prerogative, not some objective standard.

    LittleBoots on

    Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    7 is stable. I've seen less complaints regarding 7's beta than I have regarding Vista's release.

    There's hardly anything to refute there because he's not saying anything. I don't know what bugs he's referring to or what networking problems he's referring to. 7 has problems with program compatibility since it's new but I've found 7 to be extremely usable.

    Off the top of my head the biggest software problem I've had was getting Google Chrome and my firewall to work. It just took installing a developer version of Google Chrome and installing the firewall in Vista compatibility mode to fix both problems.

    If you don't want to mess with software incompatibility problems I would say wait, but otherwise 7 is perfectly fine to use.

    Sarksus on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cronus wrote: »
    So a friend is doing his best to try and convince me not to upgrade to Win 7, here's our convo.
    [21:33] Span_Wolf: So I've read all the articles in the last few weeks and every expert and their mother is saying upgrade from vista to Win7, it's better and more stable than Vista SP1. That and a dozen pages of people gushing about it on PA forums. So why did you say not to do it if I already had Vista 64?
    [21:34] *********: yeah it's awesome
    [21:35] *********: but there's some networking bugs and you have to reboot a lot to fix them
    [21:35] *********: so it's still not THAT much better
    [21:35] Span_Wolf: kinda better is still better?
    [21:35] *********: if you've got vista 64 you're better off for now than windows 7
    [21:36] Span_Wolf: yes but why
    [21:40] *********: because i said so and i KNOW?
    [21:40] *********: because i've been doing this for 12 years now:?
    [21:40] *********: because i've been BETA TESTING for 10 years?
    [21:41] Span_Wolf: I'm asking you to help me understand why, not blind faith. You are the sole voice telling me not to upgrade right now
    [21:41] Span_Wolf: I've already backed everything up and I have the ISO burned to disk and ready to hit go
    [21:42] *********: BECAUSE SHIT IS STILL BROKEN ON IT
    [21:42] *********: IT"S A BETA!!!
    [21:42] *********: BETA IS FOR WHEN YOU KNOW YOU DON"T NEED YOUR PC FOR OTHER SHIT
    [21:42] Span_Wolf: Release Candidate
    [21:42] *********: BECAUSE I SAID SO AND I KNOW WHAT I"M DOING
    [21:42] *********: RC = public beta dude
    [21:42] *********: DUH
    [21:44] Span_Wolf: anything significant that's broken, why is it any different between 32 bit and 64 bit
    [21:44] *********: what the hell are you talking about o.o
    [21:45] *********: there's NO difference between 32 and 64 bit
    [21:45] *********: there's HUGE difference between VISTA 64bit and Windows 7 64 or 32 bit
    [21:45] *********: 64bit is only so you can run more than 2.5 gigs of ram
    [21:45] Span_Wolf: you said sure upgrade, then when I said I had Vista 64 you said oh wait no if you have Vista 64 bit don't
    [21:45] *********: RIGHT
    [21:45] *********: because windows vista 64bit is 300,000,000 times more stable than 32bit
    [21:45] *********: they're updating it more
    [21:46] *********: and if you're using business or ultimate, it's even BETTER than home premium
    [21:46] *********: if you were using vista 32bit home basic
    [21:46] *********: i'd say go fucking install windows 7
    [21:46] *********: but if you're running vista 64bit ultimate or business
    [21:46] *********: keep it
    [21:46] *********: there's still fucking HUGE bugs that need to be resolved
    [21:46] *********: and some games don't work
    [21:46] Span_Wolf: like?
    [21:46] *********: and XP "emulation" mode has NO 3D rendering
    [21:46] *********: and networking breaks
    [21:46] *********: like STOPS WORKING
    [21:46] *********: you have to reboot to fix it
    [21:47] *********: and GeForce drivers are still beta for it
    [21:47] *********: and unsigned
    [21:47] *********: and some games don't work right
    [21:47] *********: and there's some problems with DX10
    [21:47] *********: it's a FUCKING BETA
    [21:47] *********: there's BUGS
    [21:47] *********: unless you WANT to use beta software
    [21:47] *********: stay on 64bit vista
    What say you guys?

    Well, he's got some good reasons in there. It is pre-release software and Vista 64 is very stable. Two of the reasons I'm waiting longer for 7. I'm just curious why he wrapped his good reasons up with so much stupid and caps lock.

    I think he was annoyed with me for daring to question him.

    The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    7 is stable. I've seen less complaints regarding 7's beta than I have regarding Vista's release.

    There's hardly anything to refute there because he's not saying anything. I don't know what bugs he's referring to or what networking problems he's referring to. 7 has problems with program compatibility since it's new but I've found 7 to be extremely usable.

    Off the top of my head the biggest software problem I've had was getting Google Chrome and my firewall to work. It just took installing a developer version of Google Chrome and installing the firewall in Vista compatibility mode to fix both problems.

    If you don't want to mess with software incompatibility problems I would say wait, but otherwise 7 is perfectly fine to use.

    Please tell me that firewall wasn't ZA.

    Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    7 is stable. I've seen less complaints regarding 7's beta than I have regarding Vista's release.

    There's hardly anything to refute there because he's not saying anything. I don't know what bugs he's referring to or what networking problems he's referring to. 7 has problems with program compatibility since it's new but I've found 7 to be extremely usable.

    Off the top of my head the biggest software problem I've had was getting Google Chrome and my firewall to work. It just took installing a developer version of Google Chrome and installing the firewall in Vista compatibility mode to fix both problems.

    If you don't want to mess with software incompatibility problems I would say wait, but otherwise 7 is perfectly fine to use.

    Please tell me that firewall wasn't ZA.

    No. Comodo.

    Sarksus on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    7 is stable. I've seen less complaints regarding 7's beta than I have regarding Vista's release.

    There's hardly anything to refute there because he's not saying anything. I don't know what bugs he's referring to or what networking problems he's referring to. 7 has problems with program compatibility since it's new but I've found 7 to be extremely usable.

    Off the top of my head the biggest software problem I've had was getting Google Chrome and my firewall to work. It just took installing a developer version of Google Chrome and installing the firewall in Vista compatibility mode to fix both problems.

    If you don't want to mess with software incompatibility problems I would say wait, but otherwise 7 is perfectly fine to use.

    Please tell me that firewall wasn't ZA.

    No. Comodo.

    Thank God. Sorry, but PC repair is one of my side businesses and ZA has been driving me insane. ZA needs to die. Comodo is amazing, I now install their free Internet Security suit for all of my clients. Less problems for me as it can update with UAC enabled and the AV has active scanning.

    Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I remember when Zone Alarm was recommended up and down by The Screensavers and most of TechTV. Wonder what happened.

    Sarksus on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cronus wrote: »
    So a friend is doing his best to try and convince me not to upgrade to Win 7, here's our convo.
    [21:33] Span_Wolf: So I've read all the articles in the last few weeks and every expert and their mother is saying upgrade from vista to Win7, it's better and more stable than Vista SP1. That and a dozen pages of people gushing about it on PA forums. So why did you say not to do it if I already had Vista 64?
    [21:34] *********: yeah it's awesome
    [21:35] *********: but there's some networking bugs and you have to reboot a lot to fix them
    [21:35] *********: so it's still not THAT much better
    [21:35] Span_Wolf: kinda better is still better?
    [21:35] *********: if you've got vista 64 you're better off for now than windows 7
    [21:36] Span_Wolf: yes but why
    [21:40] *********: because i said so and i KNOW?
    [21:40] *********: because i've been doing this for 12 years now:?
    [21:40] *********: because i've been BETA TESTING for 10 years?
    [21:41] Span_Wolf: I'm asking you to help me understand why, not blind faith. You are the sole voice telling me not to upgrade right now
    [21:41] Span_Wolf: I've already backed everything up and I have the ISO burned to disk and ready to hit go
    [21:42] *********: BECAUSE SHIT IS STILL BROKEN ON IT
    [21:42] *********: IT"S A BETA!!!
    [21:42] *********: BETA IS FOR WHEN YOU KNOW YOU DON"T NEED YOUR PC FOR OTHER SHIT
    [21:42] Span_Wolf: Release Candidate
    [21:42] *********: BECAUSE I SAID SO AND I KNOW WHAT I"M DOING
    [21:42] *********: RC = public beta dude
    [21:42] *********: DUH
    [21:44] Span_Wolf: anything significant that's broken, why is it any different between 32 bit and 64 bit
    [21:44] *********: what the hell are you talking about o.o
    [21:45] *********: there's NO difference between 32 and 64 bit
    [21:45] *********: there's HUGE difference between VISTA 64bit and Windows 7 64 or 32 bit
    [21:45] *********: 64bit is only so you can run more than 2.5 gigs of ram
    [21:45] Span_Wolf: you said sure upgrade, then when I said I had Vista 64 you said oh wait no if you have Vista 64 bit don't
    [21:45] *********: RIGHT
    [21:45] *********: because windows vista 64bit is 300,000,000 times more stable than 32bit
    [21:45] *********: they're updating it more
    [21:46] *********: and if you're using business or ultimate, it's even BETTER than home premium
    [21:46] *********: if you were using vista 32bit home basic
    [21:46] *********: i'd say go fucking install windows 7
    [21:46] *********: but if you're running vista 64bit ultimate or business
    [21:46] *********: keep it
    [21:46] *********: there's still fucking HUGE bugs that need to be resolved
    [21:46] *********: and some games don't work
    [21:46] Span_Wolf: like?
    [21:46] *********: and XP "emulation" mode has NO 3D rendering
    [21:46] *********: and networking breaks
    [21:46] *********: like STOPS WORKING
    [21:46] *********: you have to reboot to fix it
    [21:47] *********: and GeForce drivers are still beta for it
    [21:47] *********: and unsigned
    [21:47] *********: and some games don't work right
    [21:47] *********: and there's some problems with DX10
    [21:47] *********: it's a FUCKING BETA
    [21:47] *********: there's BUGS
    [21:47] *********: unless you WANT to use beta software
    [21:47] *********: stay on 64bit vista
    What say you guys?

    Well, he's got some good reasons in there. It is pre-release software and Vista 64 is very stable. Two of the reasons I'm waiting longer for 7. I'm just curious why he wrapped his good reasons up with so much stupid and caps lock.

    I think he was annoyed with me for daring to question him.

    Usually if someone starts yelling at you for questioning them before they have actually said any facts they are blowing smoke up your arse.

    I've yet to run into any major problems with it (and the few that I have found have all been fixed by installing beta drivers or programs) and I only expect the release candidate to be even better.

    Blake T on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I had a great experience with the RC last night. I've been reading about how great 7MC is meant to be and wanted to give it a whirl on my HTPC.

    After 3 stop errors during installation I went back to Vista Ultimate.

    I have no idea what was going wrong, but it would repeatedly hang where it was supposed to restart before blue-screening with USB_DRIVER_BUGCODE stop errors.

    This is on a system that's good enough to decode blu-rays, so I don't think it's a spec issue:
    Gigabyte KA8N pro-sli
    2GB Crucial DDR
    Athlon X2 4600
    8500GT

    I'm installing it onto a repurposed WD-Passport drive that had the USB->SATA interface fail which is mounted inside a regular drive bay which causes no problem with the Vista installation, and there's another 1tb drive and a 320gb drive in there. But I'm not sure if they could be the cause.

    I'm a bit disappointed, but not overly arsed because I was due a reinstall anyway (messed up some codec installations trying to play my archived blu-rays in m2ts format), I would've just preferred to have some of the new features of 7MC when I reinstalled, not go back to the same VMC configuration.

    Sigh.

    SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Cronus wrote: »
    So a friend is doing his best to try and convince me not to upgrade to Win 7, here's our convo.
    [21:33] Span_Wolf: So I've read all the articles in the last few weeks and every expert and their mother is saying upgrade from vista to Win7, it's better and more stable than Vista SP1. That and a dozen pages of people gushing about it on PA forums. So why did you say not to do it if I already had Vista 64?
    [21:34] *********: yeah it's awesome
    [21:35] *********: but there's some networking bugs and you have to reboot a lot to fix them
    [21:35] *********: so it's still not THAT much better
    [21:35] Span_Wolf: kinda better is still better?
    [21:35] *********: if you've got vista 64 you're better off for now than windows 7
    [21:36] Span_Wolf: yes but why
    [21:40] *********: because i said so and i KNOW?
    [21:40] *********: because i've been doing this for 12 years now:?
    [21:40] *********: because i've been BETA TESTING for 10 years?
    [21:41] Span_Wolf: I'm asking you to help me understand why, not blind faith. You are the sole voice telling me not to upgrade right now
    [21:41] Span_Wolf: I've already backed everything up and I have the ISO burned to disk and ready to hit go
    [21:42] *********: BECAUSE SHIT IS STILL BROKEN ON IT
    [21:42] *********: IT"S A BETA!!!
    [21:42] *********: BETA IS FOR WHEN YOU KNOW YOU DON"T NEED YOUR PC FOR OTHER SHIT
    [21:42] Span_Wolf: Release Candidate
    [21:42] *********: BECAUSE I SAID SO AND I KNOW WHAT I"M DOING
    [21:42] *********: RC = public beta dude
    [21:42] *********: DUH
    [21:44] Span_Wolf: anything significant that's broken, why is it any different between 32 bit and 64 bit
    [21:44] *********: what the hell are you talking about o.o
    [21:45] *********: there's NO difference between 32 and 64 bit
    [21:45] *********: there's HUGE difference between VISTA 64bit and Windows 7 64 or 32 bit
    [21:45] *********: 64bit is only so you can run more than 2.5 gigs of ram
    [21:45] Span_Wolf: you said sure upgrade, then when I said I had Vista 64 you said oh wait no if you have Vista 64 bit don't
    [21:45] *********: RIGHT
    [21:45] *********: because windows vista 64bit is 300,000,000 times more stable than 32bit
    [21:45] *********: they're updating it more
    [21:46] *********: and if you're using business or ultimate, it's even BETTER than home premium
    [21:46] *********: if you were using vista 32bit home basic
    [21:46] *********: i'd say go fucking install windows 7
    [21:46] *********: but if you're running vista 64bit ultimate or business
    [21:46] *********: keep it
    [21:46] *********: there's still fucking HUGE bugs that need to be resolved
    [21:46] *********: and some games don't work
    [21:46] Span_Wolf: like?
    [21:46] *********: and XP "emulation" mode has NO 3D rendering
    [21:46] *********: and networking breaks
    [21:46] *********: like STOPS WORKING
    [21:46] *********: you have to reboot to fix it
    [21:47] *********: and GeForce drivers are still beta for it
    [21:47] *********: and unsigned
    [21:47] *********: and some games don't work right
    [21:47] *********: and there's some problems with DX10
    [21:47] *********: it's a FUCKING BETA
    [21:47] *********: there's BUGS
    [21:47] *********: unless you WANT to use beta software
    [21:47] *********: stay on 64bit vista
    What say you guys?

    Well, he's got some good reasons in there. It is pre-release software and Vista 64 is very stable. Two of the reasons I'm waiting longer for 7. I'm just curious why he wrapped his good reasons up with so much stupid and caps lock.

    I think he was annoyed with me for daring to question him.

    Usually if someone starts yelling at you for questioning them before they have actually said any facts they are blowing smoke up your arse.

    I've yet to run into any major problems with it (and the few that I have found have all been fixed by installing beta drivers or programs) and I only expect the release candidate to be even better.

    Further proof, here are a few of the things he told you that are just plain untrue:
    [21:45] *********: because windows vista 64bit is 300,000,000 times more stable than 32bit
    [21:45] *********: they're updating it more
    [21:46] *********: and if you're using business or ultimate, it's even BETTER than home premium
    [21:45] *********: 64bit is only so you can run more than 2.5 gigs of ram
    [21:46] *********: and networking breaks
    [21:46] *********: like STOPS WORKING
    [21:46] *********: you have to reboot to fix it

    About the only thing he said that you can take his word on is that the GeForce drivers are still in beta.

    Just because you've been using computers for 12 years, it doesn't mean you're an IT pro.

    jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The reccomended GeForce drivers screwed up my video, so I rolled back to the ones I had with Vista. Works just fine... like 182.50 orsomething, I dunno.

    Also, is there a way to monitor your NVidia card's temperature and fan control without using 3rd party software? In the past, my NVidia cards would show the card temperature in the NVidia control panel, my new GTX 260 does not...

    When I boot into Ubuntu, it'll NATIVELY show me the temp... which is odd, so there's got to be a way to see it in Windows.

    And the fan control, that should also be a built-in option. Currently have to use Rivatuner or something to do all that...

    GPIA7R on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    jonxp wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    Cronus wrote: »
    So a friend is doing his best to try and convince me not to upgrade to Win 7, here's our convo.
    [21:33] Span_Wolf: So I've read all the articles in the last few weeks and every expert and their mother is saying upgrade from vista to Win7, it's better and more stable than Vista SP1. That and a dozen pages of people gushing about it on PA forums. So why did you say not to do it if I already had Vista 64?
    [21:34] *********: yeah it's awesome
    [21:35] *********: but there's some networking bugs and you have to reboot a lot to fix them
    [21:35] *********: so it's still not THAT much better
    [21:35] Span_Wolf: kinda better is still better?
    [21:35] *********: if you've got vista 64 you're better off for now than windows 7
    [21:36] Span_Wolf: yes but why
    [21:40] *********: because i said so and i KNOW?
    [21:40] *********: because i've been doing this for 12 years now:?
    [21:40] *********: because i've been BETA TESTING for 10 years?
    [21:41] Span_Wolf: I'm asking you to help me understand why, not blind faith. You are the sole voice telling me not to upgrade right now
    [21:41] Span_Wolf: I've already backed everything up and I have the ISO burned to disk and ready to hit go
    [21:42] *********: BECAUSE SHIT IS STILL BROKEN ON IT
    [21:42] *********: IT"S A BETA!!!
    [21:42] *********: BETA IS FOR WHEN YOU KNOW YOU DON"T NEED YOUR PC FOR OTHER SHIT
    [21:42] Span_Wolf: Release Candidate
    [21:42] *********: BECAUSE I SAID SO AND I KNOW WHAT I"M DOING
    [21:42] *********: RC = public beta dude
    [21:42] *********: DUH
    [21:44] Span_Wolf: anything significant that's broken, why is it any different between 32 bit and 64 bit
    [21:44] *********: what the hell are you talking about o.o
    [21:45] *********: there's NO difference between 32 and 64 bit
    [21:45] *********: there's HUGE difference between VISTA 64bit and Windows 7 64 or 32 bit
    [21:45] *********: 64bit is only so you can run more than 2.5 gigs of ram
    [21:45] Span_Wolf: you said sure upgrade, then when I said I had Vista 64 you said oh wait no if you have Vista 64 bit don't
    [21:45] *********: RIGHT
    [21:45] *********: because windows vista 64bit is 300,000,000 times more stable than 32bit
    [21:45] *********: they're updating it more
    [21:46] *********: and if you're using business or ultimate, it's even BETTER than home premium
    [21:46] *********: if you were using vista 32bit home basic
    [21:46] *********: i'd say go fucking install windows 7
    [21:46] *********: but if you're running vista 64bit ultimate or business
    [21:46] *********: keep it
    [21:46] *********: there's still fucking HUGE bugs that need to be resolved
    [21:46] *********: and some games don't work
    [21:46] Span_Wolf: like?
    [21:46] *********: and XP "emulation" mode has NO 3D rendering
    [21:46] *********: and networking breaks
    [21:46] *********: like STOPS WORKING
    [21:46] *********: you have to reboot to fix it
    [21:47] *********: and GeForce drivers are still beta for it
    [21:47] *********: and unsigned
    [21:47] *********: and some games don't work right
    [21:47] *********: and there's some problems with DX10
    [21:47] *********: it's a FUCKING BETA
    [21:47] *********: there's BUGS
    [21:47] *********: unless you WANT to use beta software
    [21:47] *********: stay on 64bit vista
    What say you guys?

    Well, he's got some good reasons in there. It is pre-release software and Vista 64 is very stable. Two of the reasons I'm waiting longer for 7. I'm just curious why he wrapped his good reasons up with so much stupid and caps lock.

    I think he was annoyed with me for daring to question him.

    Usually if someone starts yelling at you for questioning them before they have actually said any facts they are blowing smoke up your arse.

    I've yet to run into any major problems with it (and the few that I have found have all been fixed by installing beta drivers or programs) and I only expect the release candidate to be even better.

    Further proof, here are a few of the things he told you that are just plain untrue:
    [21:45] *********: because windows vista 64bit is 300,000,000 times more stable than 32bit
    [21:45] *********: they're updating it more
    [21:46] *********: and if you're using business or ultimate, it's even BETTER than home premium
    [21:45] *********: 64bit is only so you can run more than 2.5 gigs of ram
    [21:46] *********: and networking breaks
    [21:46] *********: like STOPS WORKING
    [21:46] *********: you have to reboot to fix it

    About the only thing he said that you can take his word on is that the GeForce drivers are still in beta.

    Just because you've been using computers for 12 years, it doesn't mean you're an IT pro.
    But, but, he's been BETA TESTING for 10 of those.
    Also, complaining that the XP mode only given to Business, Ultimate and Enterprise lacks 3d rendering is missing the point. It's not what it's made for. If that is what you want Virtualbox has experimental Opengl support and Vmware has experimental Direct3d support though.

    ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    He makes a good point about unsigned drivers though. My wifi adapter's drivers are included in windows 7 after updates, but they are unsigned. So if I want to use the hardware I have to turn off signature enforcement and restart. If I restart without doing that first, I have to do it again. Really annoying because I don't think there is a way to permanently disable signature enforcement- you have to do it at every restart.

    Smurph on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Smurph wrote: »
    He makes a good point about unsigned drivers though. My wifi adapter's drivers are included in windows 7 after updates, but they are unsigned. So if I want to use the hardware I have to turn off signature enforcement and restart. If I restart without doing that first, I have to do it again. Really annoying because I don't think there is a way to permanently disable signature enforcement- you have to do it at every restart.

    If you edit the boot config with something like EasyBCD or the like, you can actually permanently disable the signed driver requirement. It'll also let you fiddle with DEP and a few other things.

    The Deliverator on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Smurph wrote: »
    He makes a good point about unsigned drivers though. My wifi adapter's drivers are included in windows 7 after updates, but they are unsigned. So if I want to use the hardware I have to turn off signature enforcement and restart. If I restart without doing that first, I have to do it again. Really annoying because I don't think there is a way to permanently disable signature enforcement- you have to do it at every restart.
    Is that part of UAC? I use those unsigned Nvidia beta drivers he talks about and I only got one message about when I first installed them.
    Stupid beta drivers won't let me change refresh rate to 72 and 50 Hz. Any way to force refresh rates in Win 7?
    (I can add those resolutions without problem in XP, I have driver for my screen for Win 7. Nvidia custom resolution manager will not try the new refresh rate, it gives a error message instantly)

    ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    BerenBeren Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I did a dumb thing and installed W7 32bit. If I download 64bit do you think I can just upgrade from one to the other?

    I r dum, I know.

    Beren on
    PS4: DarconvillesCat
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nope, just reformat/reinstall. You shouldn't be too far into it anyway!

    GPIA7R on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There is no upgrade path from any 32 bit version of Windows to 64 bit XP, Vista, or 7. As GPIA7R said, you have to format and reinstall.

    RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So since I'm using Windows 7, the question would be best asked here...

    What are the best methods of folder security and access prevention? What about folders you access somewhat frequently? Maybe a way to open a folder for an amount of time and close when you're done

    ...

    Wait, just answered my own question.

    TrueCrypt.

    Thanks!

    :P

    Uhm, lesse... content content... uhm... yeah, my question still stands on NVidia card statistics... showing temps and adjusting fan speed and all that without 3rd party software.

    GPIA7R on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Did anyone here have to install hard drive drivers? I have chipset drivers installed but I'm still noticing frequent freezes when opening windows and installing programs. When it's running good it's amazing but sometimes random things like opening the control panel or deleting a file can freeze the whole system for like a minute. This didn't really happen on XP. I've never had to worry about hard drive drivers before. Also, the install was very slow. Like hours and hours, especially the "Expanding Files" portion. The hard drive is about 3 years old but was my only hard drive on my only computer for most of that time, so it's seen a lot of use.

    Smurph on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Can't help with the random freezing (I've had it happen in Vista personally), but I may have an explanation for the install time. Are you using 64 bit Windows? If so, how much RAM do you have? Someone earlier mentioned an apparently longstanding bug where systems with >4GB may take ages to install. I haven't run into it personally (I have 8GB of RAM myself), but I have no reason to doubt others suffer from the issue.

    RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    RBach wrote: »
    Can't help with the random freezing (I've had it happen in Vista personally), but I may have an explanation for the install time. Are you using 64 bit Windows? If so, how much RAM do you have? Someone earlier mentioned an apparently longstanding bug where systems with >4GB may take ages to install. I haven't run into it personally (I have 8GB of RAM myself), but I have no reason to doubt others suffer from the issue.

    I brought that up before.

    I did the install with all 8 gigs in place this time, didn't seem to have a problem. Installed from USB, if that mattered. DVD gave me trouble.

    GPIA7R on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, this is a shitty time to be out of a functional computer that isn't shared by three people.

    I know that the end result would be the same, but I would learn something from the process.

    My nephew's mother is a bad influence on him.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    NamonNamon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    We are a MS partner and got the RC invites (I know it's open but that's how I got my key :P ), and I'm getting ready to do this. My decision just got easier with the "don't have to reinstall WoW thing" I no longer have the dvd's for that game, so I download and it's a long painful process every time and I am just getting over a recent spat of reinstalls with the release of SLES 11. The whole debate about Microsoft's handling of winding down the RC thing aside, I do wish they would let you purchase a legit copy and just enter the key without having to fully reinstall. I do swear that Microsoft could crap gold for free onto the masses and someone would find something to bitch about.

    Namon on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nothing is ever good enough, and this is the Internet. It was placed here for us to argue and whine in semi-anonymity. The world will find faults in the greatest things.

    Also, I don't like the way your ":P" face is looking at me. I don't like you anymore.
    Not really...

    GPIA7R on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I am only having one problem so far. I can't get my computer to Sleep. The screen goes black and the PC stays running and it is just locked up.

    Any ideas?

    risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok, so I'm ready to make the full jump to windows 7.

    Is there any way for me to do a complete fresh install without needing another HDD to back up to? Like, since I'm running under Win7 now on a small partition I tossed on, could I say, expand the Win7 Partition, drag everything I want to keep over, then wipe the other partition and expand this one to full? It seems kind of sloppy to me, but it's the only way I can think of doing it.

    UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm ready to make the full jump to windows 7.

    Is there any way for me to do a complete fresh install without needing another HDD to back up to? Like, since I'm running under Win7 now on a small partition I tossed on, could I say, expand the Win7 Partition, drag everything I want to keep over, then wipe the other partition and expand this one to full? It seems kind of sloppy to me, but it's the only way I can think of doing it.

    Its certainly sloppy, but its possible. Personally, I want my OS to be the first partition on the drive, and I maintain two partitions, one for OS, and one for installed programs/games. That way, when it comes time to reinstall the OS, I have that secondary partition to backup files to. My current 1TB drive has 50G allocated to the OS partition (Vista 64), and the remainder to programs partition. I have a third partition (second physical drive) with media files and such.

    In other words, its sloppy but possible, and if you can get the OS to the front of the drive, you'll be better off. Don't be afraid to maintain two partitions to make this process easier in the future.

    Oh, and I doubt you'll be able to do this through the OS. You will likely need to boot into a program from USB or CD to accomplish this, as it will need exclusive access to the drive to manipulate the OS partition. I've used GParted before.

    NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm ready to make the full jump to windows 7.

    Is there any way for me to do a complete fresh install without needing another HDD to back up to? Like, since I'm running under Win7 now on a small partition I tossed on, could I say, expand the Win7 Partition, drag everything I want to keep over, then wipe the other partition and expand this one to full? It seems kind of sloppy to me, but it's the only way I can think of doing it.

    Its certainly sloppy, but its possible. Personally, I want my OS to be the first partition on the drive, and I maintain two partitions, one for OS, and one for installed programs/games. That way, when it comes time to reinstall the OS, I have that secondary partition to backup files to. My current 1TB drive has 50G allocated to the OS partition (Vista 64), and the remainder to programs partition. I have a third partition (second physical drive) with media files and such.

    In other words, its sloppy but possible, and if you can get the OS to the front of the drive, you'll be better off. Don't be afraid to maintain two partitions to make this process easier in the future.

    Oh, and I doubt you'll be able to do this through the OS. You will likely need to boot into a program from USB or CD to accomplish this, as it will need exclusive access to the drive to manipulate the OS partition. I've used GParted before.

    I've got myself a copy of Partition Magic after being recommended it a long time ago by my A+ teacher. So it makes it waaayyy easy.

    I was thinking I wanted it on the first partition as well, which had me thinking I might expand my current Win7 partition (only 20g right now), back up everything I need to it, clearing the first partition, and then doing a re-install onto the other drive. Then, dragging everything back to the original, and reformatting the other side, and maybe expanding the first partition back to the full drive.

    UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Poasting from new laptop with Windows 7!

    Its alive!

    And I have to say, I'm starting to love this new OS. So streamlined.

    fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Blech.

    Partition Magic has officially angered me, because not only is it not compatible with Win7, but it screwed my partitions up and now wont let me re-partition them to adjust. So I'm stuck with a partition of 20g and one of over 600g.

    Is it possible for me to just go through the other partition and manually delete out the old OS, or is this going to screw with the drive in any way?

    Eventually I'm just going to buy myself another HDD to stick in there, but right now funds are very very low.

    Quick recap:
    Win7 64bit is on a 20gig partition (which I'm running now), Win XP 32bit is on the rest of it, which is around 600gigs. I want XP gone, but I need to keep a lot of the data on that partition. I have no spare HDD to back up to, and my partition program now hates me. Solutions?

    UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    can you see it from Win7? Why not just delete the windows folder and don't boot to that partition anymore?

    Dunno. I never screw with partitions for this reason. I'm not cool enough to understand how hard drive acrobatics will be such a benefit that the time I spend laboring over them will be offset.

    Jasconius on
Sign In or Register to comment.