As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So I want to switch Doctors

XobniXobni Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi All,

Since you've all been so helpful in the past I thought I'd come back here for some more advice.

A number of months ago I made a post about my awkward social skills. It's not a huge issue but I want to talk to a counselor about it. Anyway, I trusted my old doctor a lot and she said she didn't think drugs were what I needed. My insurance ended up changing before I got a referral from her and my insurance won't cover visits to her office.

So I got a new doctor. Here's the problem - I don't like him at all. The first appointment I had was because I wanted him to look at something gross on my foot (not too gross, but no need for details). He got really caught up about my thyroid (I have no idea why, I'm in good shape) and ended up leaving the room without looking at my foot. Next thing I knew the nurse was leading me to the lab for blood tests and then I was sent home. It took a few calls before I found out nothing was wrong and I still don't really understand what they were checking for. My second appointment I asked about getting a referral because of the social stuff. Well, that didn't go much better. Basically my doctor gave me a long speech about how he's really nervous around people and he was able to get an MD and that drug companies are just trying to push drugs on people. Then he started asking me about weed, alcohol and recreational over-the-counter drugs and whether or not I'm into that. I told him I like drinking with friends and I used to smoke pot. From his response I'm kinda convinced he thinks I just want some drugs for kicks.

Anyway, venting aside, I want to switch doctors. What I'm wondering is, will this doc forward all his files to my new doctor? Basically I'm wondering if this doc will tell my new one that he thinks I'm some sort of drug fiend? Like, will my insurance company request the old office to send files to the new office?

I know I'm probably totally overacting - but honestly, the conversation I had with the doctor about awkward social behavior was incredibly uncomfortable, so uncomfortable that I really don't see myself talking to him about it again (and when I ask my new doc for a referral I really don't want to have the same type of conversation).

Xobni on

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Did you have to choose a primary physician with your insurance agency when you signed up/before you went to the doctor?

If so, call your insurance company, tell them you want to pick a new primary physician. An agent should be able to help you do this over the phone.

If not, you should be able to see anyone without going through your insurance agency.

Either way, though, calling your insurance agency will enable you to confirm what your options are.

There is absolutely NO reason you should feel like you have to remain with a doctor that makes you feel uncomfortable, or even just less than comfortable. A lot of people shop around for a doctor they trust.

edit: Hell, there's no reason why you can't even bring this up to the second doctor, in my opinion. Just say you saw someone a week/a couple of weeks ago and after explaining that you have some problems and you'd like to seek psychiatric help as a result, or whatever, you got a weird vibe from the doctor.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • XobniXobni Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sorry, I really should have thought to mention that I had to pick the primary physician. Basically the new insurance company's prices were way different and an HMO plan was a lot more affordable.

I know it's silly, but I have this fear that the insurance company will have the current doctor's records sent to the new one and I'll go in asking about a referral and they'll start up with, "so do you smoke a lot of pot? like to drink five nights a week? looking for a zanax kick?" Like I said, I know it's silly.

Xobni on
    edited May 2009
    Xobni wrote: »
    Sorry, I really should have thought to mention that I had to pick the primary physician. Basically the new insurance company's prices were way different and an HMO plan was a lot more affordable.

I know it's silly, but I have this fear that the insurance company will have the current doctor's records sent to the new one and I'll go in asking about a referral and they'll start up with, "so do you smoke a lot of pot? like to drink five nights a week? looking for a zanax kick?" Like I said, I know it's silly.

Well I can't really help you with how you feel. If your provider allows you to switch doctors under your policy, then do it. Being afraid that they are going to ask you if you are a drug addict, particularly when you are NOT a drug addict, is not something you should let stop you. So...don't let it stop you.

Drez on
  • XobniXobni Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay, yeah. When you put it like that it sounds ridiculous. :lol:

Xobni on
    edited May 2009
    Good luck!

Drez on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    On the medical files thing, the doctor himself probably won't have to forward his files, what will probably happen is you'll have to call his office and tell them you want copies of your files sent to X office. Then a nurse or secretary will send them--the one thing you should know is that sometimes they'll charge you to do this.

Hypatia on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just as a heads up, any physician doing a medical history for a new patient is going to ask you about drug and alcohol use. Don't get paranoid if and when the new doctor asks you about it.

RUNN1NGMAN on