As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thief 4 announced, taffers call it Thi4f

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thief 3 still looks really nice with new texture packs.

The lighting work on that game was some of the best I've ever seen

Wait. Hold on. Guys, stop. Wait.

Texture packs? Where?

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thirith wrote: »
    Garrett is a cool character, but I'd rather have him become a supporting character than have them do yet another "Garrett reluctantly saves the City even though he's a cynical, selfish bastard" story. They've taken the character as far as he'll go without changing so much that he'll no longer be Garrett - and who'd want that?

Also, for those here who haven't played Thief 3: get the game. Get John P.'s textures. Get the Minimalist Mod if you want a more old-school experience. Play the game. Do not stop until you've reached the Cradle, even if there will be bits where you think, "I've played this before and it was better the first and second time!" The game is still very much worth it - it's, say, 80% as good as the previous titles. (That's mathematically proven!) And the Cradle is one of the best computer game levels ever, with amazing, perfect storytelling suited to what games are.

august on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Texture packs? Where?

http://www.john-p.com/textures/index.shtml

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Consoles please.

Never got to play any of the previous PC ones or the Xbox one.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    3 is backwards compatible I think.

And yes DX3 and T4 will both be ps3/360/pc.

august on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    3 was my first experience, and I really enjoyed it. Shame that 2 is proving to be tough as nails in comparison. 3 has me spoiled.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BorysBorys Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    I wish to god I could play the Cradle again but these damn devs who used this stupid codec that no longer exists anywhere means I can't play any of the three thief games on my PC anymore.

What? Weird. T3 shoulda run on modern PCs without a hitch - it's an Xbox game after all.

That game had an amazing lighting engine... twas like Doom 3: Medieval Edition.

Borys on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    3 was my first experience, and I really enjoyed it. Shame that 2 is proving to be tough as nails in comparison. 3 has me spoiled.

3 was too easy even on the hardest difficulty. The fact that the difficulty was bugged and would reset to normal when you loaded your game didn't help, either. :x

Main problem was that difficulty only affected how much damage you took. If you never got caught in the first place, it didn't really change anything.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No Thief thread is complete without:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUxsgmJv-2c

Delzhand on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Borys wrote: »
    I wish to god I could play the Cradle again but these damn devs who used this stupid codec that no longer exists anywhere means I can't play any of the three thief games on my PC anymore.

What? Weird. T3 shoulda run on modern PCs without a hitch - it's an Xbox game after all.

It's some retarded video codec that nothing else has ever used or will use again, for T1 and 2 at least. For 3 I can't remember the specifics but I can install the game and get to the mission brief screen and then it will crash. I've tried every fix that's been suggested and nothing has worked.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009

It's some retarded video codec that nothing else has ever used or will use again, for T1 and 2 at least. For 3 I can't remember the specifics but I can install the game and get to the mission brief screen and then it will crash. I've tried every fix that's been suggested and nothing has worked.

That's a bummer :(

Borys on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    august on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Guys, guys.

Deadly Shadows had the Shalebridge fuckin' Cradle.

Go ahead and tell me again how it isn't as good as the first two?
    That whole level, and when you find the note addressed to you (different level), are two of the most horrifying moments I can recall in any game.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The first half of the cradle was the best.
    there were no fucking enemies at all

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    The second half of The Cradle is when I stopped playing Thief 3. Scariest level in a video game, period.

Urian on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    august wrote: »

Probably, but I'm sure I'll try it again some time this week. Doesn't help with T3 either.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I spent the first part moving inch by inch; the random background noise always made me think there was something around the next corner. In the second part, the best was when I knifed one of the guys in the back and then moved closer to get a better look at my kill...

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    I spent the first part moving inch by inch; the random background noise always made me think there was something around the next corner. The best part was when I knifed one of the guys in the back second part and then moved closer to get a better look at my kill...

oh my god stop it stop it stop it

Urian on
  • Options
    freelancepolicefreelancepolice Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vegan wrote: »

Texture packs? Where?

http://www.john-p.com/textures/index.shtml

Will be giving these a try later, many thanks!

freelancepolice on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    I spent the first part moving inch by inch; the random background noise always made me think there was something around the next corner. In the second part, the best was when I knifed one of the guys in the back and then moved closer to get a better look at my kill...
    Hahahaha, that reminds me. After I'd played through the whole game and really hyped it up to my friend, I had the privilege of watching him play through the Cradle for the very first time, with no expectations. For the second half, he just wanted to sneak around and avoid the Puppets, but I convinced him to backstab one - "it'll make it easier, you won't have to watch your back as much."

He jumped about twenty feet in the air when he turned away just before the damned thing stood back up and growled in his ear. I was laughing for days.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    The Cathedral of the Eye was awesome purely for the sheer nervous tension of the level. Running around, knowing that any moment you could be torn to shreds by hordes of flesh eating undead was awesome. Especially when you realize that your objective was hovering in open view in the main hall of the cathedral - right where everybody could see it.....and you.

As far as Oblivion thief vs. Thief thief goes, they have some similarities, but in Thief you don't have the safety of falling back on magic if shit hits the fan so to speak.

There a YouTube vid of this?

"Cathedral of the Eye" just Googles this thread.

The leve is called "The Haunted Cathedral" and you have to steal some Eye there.

Here's a Youtube walkthrough through the whole damn church:

*snip*

Actually Sheep, if you still want to watch the level being referenced, it's called Return to the Cathedral. The same guy that recorded the walkthrough of The Haunted Cathedral also has this level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZHwfu5TGJ8&feature=PlayList&p=B7668A58C4526530&index=84

But yeah, it's Return to the Cathedral that Operative21 was originally talking about.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For anyone looking to play the games for the first time, do not start with 1. It's much more difficult than the second game, and has several levels where you just have to run away from shit. You'll likely get bored/frustrated and quit before the end.

Play Thief 2 first. It's a good showcase of the game's fundamentals, and doesn't get too stupid until the last level. After that, go back to 1 to get some backstory. Since you're much more comfortable with the game mechanics at this point, it shouldn't be much of a hassle, and you can properly appreciate the game's often insanely complex level design.

Then, finish it off with 3. I would never recommend anyone starting with it, simply because the payoff in the storyline is so much greater if you've played the preceding games.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I started with three just because that's when I heard about the series.

I did go back to the others later though.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    For anyone looking to play the games for the first time, do not start with 1. It's much more difficult than the second game, and has several levels where you just have to run away from shit. You'll likely get bored/frustrated and quit before the end.

Play Thief 2 first. It's a good showcase of the game's fundamentals, and doesn't get too stupid until the last level. After that, go back to 1 to get some backstory. Since you're much more comfortable with the game mechanics at this point, it shouldn't be much of a hassle, and you can properly appreciate the game's often insanely complex level design.

Then, finish it off with 3. I would never recommend anyone starting with it, simply because the payoff in the storyline is so much greater if you've played the preceding games.

While I loved Thief 1 more than my testicles, I just couldn't get as into Thief 2 and ended up watching the storyline on YouTube.

Thief 2 was also tense and moody, but I just got sick of the machinery.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, I'm speaking strictly in terms of difficulty. I also prefer the first game, though I admittedly didn't play all the way through until after Thief 2 had been released. Initially I hated what they did with the levels; I wanted to be thieving, not dungeon crawling. But if you think of these levels as a separate entity, more similar to, for example, Metroid or Tomb Raider, they become much more entertaining.

The Bonehoard and The Lost City are brilliantly designed. They just don't have the same impact if you're constantly dying to fire spirits and crab people and whatnot. By contrast, Thief 2 has a several pure thieving levels that are just either forgettable or unimaginatively designed. For every Life of the Party, there's a Precious Cargo and a Soulforge; the latter bordering on being downright terrible level design, which never happens in the first game.

Still, for a first timer, the majority of Thief 2 will likely prove the most compelling experience.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dranyth wrote: »
    The Cathedral of the Eye was awesome purely for the sheer nervous tension of the level. Running around, knowing that any moment you could be torn to shreds by hordes of flesh eating undead was awesome. Especially when you realize that your objective was hovering in open view in the main hall of the cathedral - right where everybody could see it.....and you.

As far as Oblivion thief vs. Thief thief goes, they have some similarities, but in Thief you don't have the safety of falling back on magic if shit hits the fan so to speak.

The leve is called "The Haunted Cathedral" and you have to steal some Eye there.

*snip*

Actually Sheep, if you still want to watch the level being referenced, it's called Return to the Cathedral. The same guy that recorded the walkthrough of The Haunted Cathedral also has this level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZHwfu5TGJ8&feature=PlayList&p=B7668A58C4526530&index=84

But yeah, it's Return to the Cathedral that Operative21 was originally talking about.

That's a terrible walkthrough; the player obviously knows the goals for the 2nd half of the level (so he grabs the body before grabbing the eye, and so forth). It's much more fun to do those tasks after you've gotten the whole cathedral riled up.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Don't be a pussy. Start with 1. Otherwise 2 won't make sense.

Actually, do be a pussy. Garrett's not a damn Jedi.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote: »

*snip*

That's a terrible walkthrough; the player obviously knows the goals for the 2nd half of the level (so he grabs the body before grabbing the eye, and so forth). It's much more fun to do those tasks after you've gotten the whole cathedral riled up.

Eh, I didn't really watch it, just noticed that the video for Haunted Cathedral was linked when really the discussion was about Return to the Cathedral, which *is* a pretty freaky level.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I suppose both of the Cathedral levels are scary. I pussied out and stopped playing at the first one :(

Borys on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I suppose both of the Cathedral levels are scary. I pussied out and stopped playing at the first one :(

The Haunted Cathedral isn't even actually a Cathedral level. It's a 'ruins of what remains of the Old Quarter section of town' level.

To be fair, the very first time I played Thief, I quit at The Haunted Cathedral. Partly because it was kinda freaky and partly because I was getting frustrated and lost.

I didn't play again until much later, at which point I blew through the entire game on Expert. Thief 1 has a *much* better overall story than Thief 2.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I just saw this for the first time(never played Thief 1):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AAzkPkiImo

Wow.

Massive endgame spoiler, apparently.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Wow.

Was that the ending?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Might want to mark that with MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR THE END OF THE GAME or something. You know, just in case. ;-)

EDIT: It's not the ending, it's the end of one of the penultimate missions, but it does give away a huge plot point (if a somewhat obvious one).

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Did anyone use texture packs for Thief 2? Did I miss a good suggestion if I wanted to play with this one?

McAllen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Aumni wrote: »

Wow.

Was that the ending?

It's not the ending.

It just gives you something to be pissed about.

In an awesome way.

EDIT: But for the love of God, don't watch it if you're ever going to play Thief 1. It's an amazing payoff.

Basically
    "You're a God, you manipulated me, didn't fucking pay me, ripped out my eye and made me look like a chump? Now it's on."

august on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yay Thief! I played 3 on gametap and loved it to death.

Re: Shalebridge Cradle: I have to agree that it's a great level... but fuck Shalebridge Cradle. :x For the rest of the game I was like "Oh, yeah, that's not really that scary" at everything.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yay Thief! I played 3 on gametap and loved it to death.

Re: Shalebridge Cradle: I have to agree that it's a great level... but fuck Shalebridge Cradle. :x For the rest of the game I was like "Oh, yeah, that's not really that scary" at everything.

Yeah, it kind of ruins the rest of the game after you go through that god-forsaken place. The first part of the area I KNEW that I needed a shotgun very very shortly because what else would happens in those places?

But I was Garrett. I didn't have a shotgun.

So I started freaking the fuck out. And nothing hostile was even around yet.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think they should just rename Deadly Shadows to "It's That Game With Motherfucking Shalebridge Cradle!!!" and be done with it.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I guess the load screens didn't bother me as much as everybody else, because one other level I liked a lot was
    stealing from the widow. It was really creepy how out of it she was, and yet some part of her knows you are a thief come to rob her. If you bring her a bottle of wine, she'll let you take anything except for her secret stash (and she'll send goons after you later in the game if you do).

But still, no part of the game compared to the Shalebridge Cradle. Which is fine, but it's tiresome when some TRUE THeIF PHAN!!!111 insists that there is no redeeming aspect to the game.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I guess the load screens didn't bother me as much as everybody else, because one other level I liked a lot was
    stealing from the widow. It was really creepy how out of it she was, and yet some part of her knows you are a thief come to rob her. If you bring her a bottle of wine, she'll let you take anything except for her secret stash (and she'll send goons after you later in the game if you do).

But still, no part of the game compared to the Shalebridge Cradle. Which is fine, but it's tiresome when some TRUE THeIF PHAN!!!111 insists that there is no redeeming aspect to the game.

I'm (finally) playing through Thief 3 right now. The only times that the loading screens have really been a pain is the mission where you have to go from Old Quarter to South Quarter and then back to Old Quarter in the space of ten minutes. Since I'm using the high texture pack, I spent more time that mission staring at loading screens than I actually did in crossing the city.

Hedgethorn on