As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thief 4 announced, taffers call it Thi4f

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah I didn't like the supernatural stuff. A little bit is fine but mostly it should be humans/living humanoids as the enemy. Thief 3 gets it just right, it's pretty much all human guards, city watch, keepers, hammers, pagans etc. There are the occasional lizardman thing and then you have the zombie ship and the god damn cradle. If there had been a load of zombies/ghosts earlier the cradle wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective.

I installed T3 today and it seems to be working okay. Whenever it loads it minimises to desktop for about 5 seconds and then maxes back into the load screen. A little weird but at least it's running fine.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I entirely agree

LaCabra on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I loved the undead and monsters in the first game. The fact that you couldn't just blackjack them made for very atmospheric/scary levels. Well, scary until you realized you could casually jog in front of zombies and they wouldn't be able to catch up.
    There was a survey done on the Through the Looking Glass forums back in the day, which aspects of the games people liked and other info. Interestingly, people who replayed the game multiple times liked undead and monsters a lot more than players who just finished the game once. Maybe that's because they played on Expert, which turned the undead levels from small tomb ventures into epic descents into the depths of the underworld. I swear, some levels felt 3x larger on Expert.

Glal on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    I loved the undead and monsters in the first game. The fact that you couldn't just blackjack them made for very atmospheric/scary levels. Well, scary until you realized you could casually jog in front of zombies and they wouldn't be able to catch up.
    There was a survey done on the Through the Looking Glass forums back in the day, which aspects of the games people liked and other info. Interestingly, people who replayed the game multiple times liked undead and monsters a lot more than players who just finished the game once. Maybe that's because they played on Expert, which turned the undead levels from small tomb ventures into epic descents into the depths of the underworld. I swear, some levels felt 3x larger on Expert.

I still haven't been able to complete the Haunted Cathedral on Expert because I can't find some of the areas.

SETEC ASTRONOMY

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Cooties Rat Semen

Glal on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cooties Rat Semen

o_O

"Nah..."

"No, I-"

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Damn you, I don't have time to watch that movie again. And yet...

Glal on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    God, Thief is brilliant. When I played them before I never got into the thieving/adventuring aspects, but you do get to pull off some pretty incredible escapes in the game. Barely shifting a charging guard's attention from your spot in the shadow, just to give you the opportunity to run feet behind his back and vault over a banister to safety. Mmm.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just finished Shalebridge Cradle for the first time today.

Yikes.
    Although I didn't trust the little girl's ghost. The whole time I thought she was going to turn on me and lead me into a trap or something. I especially was not interested in locking myself in that cage that would make the Cradle think I was a new inmate, thank you very much.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Did it occur to them that not liking the undead was the reason they didn't bother replaying it?

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    I installed T3 today and it seems to be working okay. Whenever it loads it minimises to desktop for about 5 seconds and then maxes back into the load screen. A little weird but at least it's running fine.

Quick idea for Thief 4 - installing the game makes desktop icons disappear. Garret is stealing them!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I reinstalled T3 last night

weeee this should be fun

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, I KNOW the first part of the cradle is empty.

But I STILL crouch the whole damn time and panic at every noise. Goddamn.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Spoiler tag, that, man. Thats like, the best part.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, definitely spoiler the hell out of that.

I was so scared

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No joke, The Cradle is amazing. It really shows how to do horror right, none of this RE "Dog jumps through a window" Boo scares, just slow simmer untill the player is running from shadows. I read something, i think on PA, where in a game of Splinter Cell, playing spies V. Mercs, once, the tension was so high, the merc shot at shadows, he thought he saw something.

When video games are finally recognized as an art form, The Cradle is something they'll hang up, saying, "This! This is how you scare someone."

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    Did it occur to them that not liking the undead was the reason they didn't bother replaying it?
    Unlike anonymous surveys interpreted by 3rd parties this one was done by the forum members who then discussed it among themselves. If the main reason people didn't replay the game was the tomb raiding aspects it didn't get brought up enough to stick to my memory. But hey, it's been quite a few years.

Glal on
  • Options
    BorysBorys Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The excitement level is rising. I hope they don't fuck this up. Are TTLG forumites as rabid as the NMA ones?

Borys on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    These days, no idea. Back in the day, no worse than this place, with your nutcases sprinkled among the sane populace.

Glal on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Man, I KNOW the first part of the cradle is empty.

After going through the Outer Cradle, I was convinced the Inner Cradle would be empty until I triggered something. So I was just nonchalantly reading some texts in the Hall of Records when this thing with a bird cage for a face opened a door behind me. Scared the living daylights out of me.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    McAllen wrote: »
    I wish Thief would get a remake. I don't think I could play Thief 1&2 and be frightened. It's looks so ancient. But the style of combat(or lack of), stealth gadgets, and badass missions + monsters, I wish I had a time machine so I never missed the first opportunity with this game.

Dude.

Dude, what the hell.

DARK FUCKING MOD

Mayday on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've kind of written it off seeing as how it's been in development so long.

But hey, maybe it'll be awesome.

august on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There is a playable demo, august. Development is going on at full throttle.

Just download and play it. On a scale from T2 to DS I rate it AWESOME.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Guess I need to buy Doom 3...

august on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    http://www.gamingindians.com/2009/05/eidos-president-talks-arkham-thief-hitman-etc/3/
    Eidos Montreal are currently working on Deus Ex 3, and they’ve announced that they’re working on a secret second project.

Yes, they are.

Could that be Thief IV?

You might think that; I couldn’t possibly comment.

Okay, do you plan to release another Thief game in the future?

Well, we did some research on all our franchises and the one that was most wanted was Thief. So you might want to draw your own conclusions, but I cannot confirm that.

august on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Finally got all three Thief games installed with the bestest texture packs and video tweaks. Gettin' ready for a marathon.

This pack for Thief 2 is especially awesome.

But sweet Jesus merging the three major graphics mods for Thief 1 was a headache.

august on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    august wrote: »
    Finally got all three Thief games installed with the bestest texture packs and video tweaks. Gettin' ready for a marathon.

This pack for Thief 2 is especially awesome.

But sweet Jesus merging the three major graphics mods for Thief 1 was a headache.

Really? How'd you do it? I just tried to install Thief 1 and 2, and man...I cannot get it to run. I don't have my CD's here, so I had to download em. Is it pirating if you download something you own?

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Start here and here. My major problem with Thief 1 was I had to set compatibility mode for 2000.

august on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, the Thief games are both an example of the downsides and the upsides of revitalizing old PC games.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    http://www.thief4.com/

I'll just leave this here.
    I'll go ahead and be a complete buzzkill and guess based on absolutely no evidence at all: console-based, third-person view, no Garrett, heavy focus on combat.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What's "Thiaf?"

Fawst on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dumb name is dumb.

Great to see it confirmed, though. Welcome back, Garrett.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The fact that Eidos pulled a "Driv3r" with the name is... something.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, luckily that 'logo' is apparently not set in stone or anything. The bitching about it has already begun of course. But really, 4 typically being the stand in for 'A' does make that rather nonsensical.

Oh yeah, the community liason for Eidos Montreal, René, is on TTLG... he? is going to need all the help he can get I'm sure.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wonder if that Thi4f thing isn't just the logo. The website address is thief4, and the Eidos guy who announced it on the forum called it Thief 4.
    Thief 4 Officially Announced!
    The worst kept secret in gaming finally comes out from the shadows! Yes, it's official: Thief 4 is in development at Eidos Montréal!

Clevinger on
  • Options
    mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    korodullin wrote: »
    http://www.thief4.com/

I'll just leave this here.
    I'll go ahead and be a complete buzzkill and guess based on absolutely no evidence at all: console-based, third-person view, no Garrett, heavy focus on combat.

D:

I guess better to stay pessimistic until we get more information just to not get dissapointed.

mantidor on
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's just a working title for now. As you can see, we are using www.thief4.com and the name of this forum is Thief 4 not THI4F. So don't worry!

My nerd rage is quelled.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sorry Eidos, too late. I'm calling it THIAF from now on.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    also, I wouldn't count on any info anytime soon:
    We're in the early development stages for Thief 4, but this is an incredibly ambitious project and a very exciting one. It's too early for us to offer any specific game details, right now we are focused on recruiting the very best talent to join the core team at the studio

http://www.eidosmontreal.com/en/news.html_eidos-montreal-is-excited-to-unveil-our-previously-secret-second-title-in-development-at-the-studio-as-thief-4-the-next-instalment-in-the-legendary-series.html

Clevinger on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thi4f is a working title and I doubt it'll stick because well...its pretty stupid. At least they aren't pretending it's the first game in the series.

TVs_Frank on