As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend a Music creation program!

ShadeShade Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Need a music program! I've had a friend recommend Fruity Loops, but I was wondering what else is out there?

Shade on

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Garageband is good.

Space Pickle on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For what? Recording with a microphone or creating music from samples?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

yes

Shade on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How much money do you have to spend on this endeavor? There are free apps that will let you birth music through a painful laborious process, and expensive apps that do most of the setup and just require a creative musician to tell them what to do.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    By Fruity Loops, do you mean the pleb versions or FL Studio? Cuz, that's the best you're gonna get.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Shade wrote: »

yes

...that was an either/or question.

Unless you mean you want to record your own samples and then sequence them?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    By Fruity Loops, do you mean the pleb versions or FL Studio? Cuz, that's the best you're gonna get.

No clue.

Shade wrote: »

yes

...that was an either/or question.

Unless you mean you want to record your own samples and then sequence them?

I want to be able to record and sequence.

Shade on
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Are you on PC or Mac?

Either way, my first suggestion is Ableton Live. The lite version comes with pretty much every piece of audio hardware ever, so you could probably just talk to a musician you know and get a free copy. It's arranged really intuitively, and makes sequencing and recording ridiculously easy. On top of that it has a pretty impressive effects bank, and of course the ability to use VSTs.

That's another suggestion, is to google around for free VSTs once you've picked a DAW, there are a zillion. They really are instrumental (groan) in coming up with your own unique sound.

Atheraal on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Are you on PC or Mac?

Either way, my first suggestion is Ableton Live. The lite version comes with pretty much every piece of audio hardware ever, so you could probably just talk to a musician you know and get a free copy. It's arranged really intuitively, and makes sequencing and recording ridiculously easy. On top of that it has a pretty impressive effects bank, and of course the ability to use VSTs.

That's another suggestion, is to google around for free VSTs once you've picked a DAW, there are a zillion. They really are instrumental (groan) in coming up with your own unique sound.

pc

Shade on