As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime Thread] S2: Haruhi Strikes Back

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    How many episodes or OVAs was there of Karas? I remember seeing 3 of them. I feel I missed out on something.

And Bleach will hopefully stay looking pretty, but I feel that we are gonna hear about one of Ichigo's crazy weekends soon. I'm talking about filler if you guys didn't keep up with the convo yesterday.

The manga should hurry up and get with the craziness. This powering up and talking shit is getting boring.

There were 6 episodes of Karas, though I was under the impression it was released in two big chunks, Prophecy & Revelation. So you probably saw the first half.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Rust wrote: »
    Yeah, Full Swing is definitely the weirdest one, just for his dad being replaced by a robot and then he discovers his dad's dehydrated body being stored in the closet.

And him somehow killing the robot by hitting the TV set so hard an alarm clock goes flying off the television and cracks the robot's skull.

AND NOW HERE'S TESTICLE-CAT

Yeah, I'd just filed that away under weird stuff when I watched the AS cut. My god they butchered that. Now I'm going to have to watch the damn thing online. Still, it was probably the anime-weird from three that got him. While four is bizarre, episode three has a robot accidentally pulling the pants off a girl.

now you just need Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai and if your brain has not yet completely been blown, puni puni poemy.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Weekly stupid-early shonen spoilers:

One Piece:
    Somehow Shiryuu's at the gate entrance.
    Blackbeard: Ooh? Someone strong looking just came out. Is it Magellan?
    Shiryuu: So you're Marshall D. Teach?

The two stare at each other.

Hannyabal can do nothing but endure Luffy's fierce attack.

Blackbeard and crew materialize before Luffy with his ability.
    (Shiryuu's not there.)
    So you're our former commander's little brother, huh?
    Is it all right to be eating up time here in this place? They're gonna enforce his penalty. Gehaha.

End.

Naruto (very sketchy translation, I've tried to clean it up to be readable, but it's still a little nonsensical):
    Naruto recounts the story, what Jiraya talked about. Says that a hint was given at the end of the book, and that he's thankful to Nagato.

And then, I think given the weird stuff, it's going to be basically....instead of Naruto reading it, it becomes one of those "the characters are portraying people in the story" things. ie, Nagato is portrayed as the protagonist in the novel. Naruto then reveals that the name of the character is Naruto. It returns to the actual scene, Naruto attempts to explain that they understand one another as they studied under the same teacher. Chapter ends with Nagato starting a seal, while saying that he tried to believe in Naruto, and seemingly failed.

Like I said, it was a really sketchy translation

Bleach (this one's confirmed, is a mediocre trans. I cleaned it up):
    Soi Fong gets Omeida to act as a decoy for some plan, scene cuts to Hitsugaya.

He was able to defend against the attack somehow, the stuff between them is twisted, the flood becomes both offensive and defensive for both.

Hitsugaya does an ass-pull of some sort of ultimate attack, saying that his power is from the heavens (?) and something falls from the sky. End chapter.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    How many episodes or OVAs was there of Karas? I remember seeing 3 of them. I feel I missed out on something.

And Bleach will hopefully stay looking pretty, but I feel that we are gonna hear about one of Ichigo's crazy weekends soon. I'm talking about filler if you guys didn't keep up with the convo yesterday.

The manga should hurry up and get with the craziness. This powering up and talking shit is getting boring.

There were 6 episodes of Karas, though I was under the impression it was released in two big chunks, Prophecy & Revelation. So you probably saw the first half.

I see. I guess I have to do some searching when I get home.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »

One Piece:

(Shiryuu's not there.)
    Is it all right to be eating up time here in this place? They're gonna enforce his penalty. Gehaha.

End.

Naruto (very sketchy translation, I've tried to clean it up to be readable, but it's still a little nonsensical):
    Naruto recounts the story, what Jiraya talked about. Says that a hint was given at the end of the book, and that he's thankful to Nagato.

And then, I think given the weird stuff, it's going to be basically....instead of Naruto reading it, it becomes one of those "the characters are portraying people in the story" things. ie, Nagato is portrayed as the protagonist in the novel. Naruto then reveals that the name of the character is Naruto. It returns to the actual scene, Naruto attempts to explain that they understand one another as they studied under the same teacher. Chapter ends with Nagato starting a seal, while saying that he tried to believe in Naruto, and seemingly failed.

He was able to defend against the attack somehow, the stuff between them is twisted, the flood becomes both offensive and defensive for both.

Hitsugaya does an ass-pull of some sort of ultimate attack, saying that his power is from the heavens (?) and something falls from the sky. End chapter.

Its not the usual sit upon the frozen throne of heaven etc etc?

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

One Piece:

(Shiryuu's not there.)

End.

Its not the usual sit upon the frozen throne of heaven etc etc?

That sounds like his shikai's release command, so I'll have to go with no.

EDIT:
    The rough translation up at MH is:

素人へ
    To the amateur (probably referring to Hitsugaya).

攻撃をなんとか防いだ素人だが前にもまして
    They somehow defended against the attack, However, what's in front of them is twisted.
    強気な素人
    Stubborn Amateur.

二人の攻防で周りが水浸しになっていく
    Flooding out the surroundings becomes both offense and defense.

お前も待っているんだろ?周囲の変化を
    What are you waiting for? For your surroudings to change?
    そんでもって最大奥義使う気なんだろ?おみとおしだぜ!
    So, are you going to use your greatest secret? Let it out!

大事なことなので…
    Seriously, though...

氷輪丸は氷雪系最強!!
    Hyourinmaru is the strongest Ice-Snow type [zanpakutou]!!
    ばんかいした状態でやるのは初めてだが
    This the bankai state at the start, however,
    俺の力は 天からも~(空から何か降ってくる描写で終了)
    My power is... from the heavens... (From the sky, something is seen falling at the end.).

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, is anyone here attending AnimeBoston?

I'm going with a few friends, so it should be good.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If we're doing the con thing, who's going to AnimeNEXT? I'm staffing, but I'll have free time and it'd be cool to meet people from the forum.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    And in this week's episode of Yami vs The Backlog, Yami finished Mononoke and started on the second half of Shikabane Hime: Aka.

By which you mean Shikabane Hime: Kuro.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ergandar wrote: »

I am. Hopefully the registration will work this year.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    And in this week's episode of Yami vs The Backlog, Yami finished Mononoke and started on the second half of Shikabane Hime: Aka.

By which you mean Shikabane Hime: Kuro.

No, Like episodes 7 - 13 of Aka.

However, does it directly lead into Kuro in a Code Geass R2 kind of way, or is it a different show in the same universe?

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    DragonPup wrote: »

I stood in line for 5 hours (being in the normal registration line) with one of my best friends and a neckbearded 20-something who had a plastic Yu-Gi-Oh card dispenser attachment on his arm. I could argue that those were either the best or worst 5 hours of my life. His scrotum-bearded enthusiasm for Yu-Gi-Oh remains close to my heart to this day.

That was my first con, and I was surprised by the presence of scantily clad women cosplaying. Were they hired? Were they not expecting the inevitable sexual harassment from Mr. McNeckbeard?

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Zampano wrote: »
    Oh yes, they completely butchered FLCL on Adult Swim, what with the two slightly more pixelated nudity scenes and the cutting of the credits on the longer than normal finale.

Real 4 Kids work there.

They even bragged that FLCL only had 2 edits ever in one of their commercials.
    And both of them were were in the last episode, not Full Swing.

They only sped up the credits the third or fourth time they ran the show. The first few times it was pretty much untouched. [as] said it was their favorite anime, so I can believe that they'd want to keep it untainted. Especially since they acquired it back when there was actually somewhat of a balance among the Williams Street folks between the anime guys and the comedy guys. Now it seems like the comedy guys have driven the anime guys out for the most part.

The Comedy guys are ( mostly) unprofessional assholes. I'd leave too.

The best thing the Williams Street people ever did was Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast

And it was all downhill from there

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Oh yes, they completely butchered FLCL on Adult Swim, what with the two slightly more pixelated nudity scenes and the cutting of the credits on the longer than normal finale.

Real 4 Kids work there.

They only sped up the credits the third or fourth time they ran the show. The first few times it was pretty much untouched. [as] said it was their favorite anime, so I can believe that they'd want to keep it untainted. Especially since they acquired it back when there was actually somewhat of a balance among the Williams Street folks between the anime guys and the comedy guys. Now it seems like the comedy guys have driven the anime guys out for the most part.

The best thing the Williams Street people ever did was Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast

Sealab 2021 was fantastic until Harry Goz passed away. And even then, some isolated episodes were funny.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I stood in line for 5 hours (being in the normal registration line) with one of my best friends and a neckbearded 20-something who had a plastic Yu-Gi-Oh card dispenser attachment on his arm. I could argue that those were either the best or worst 5 hours of my life. His scrotum-bearded enthusiasm for Yu-Gi-Oh remains close to my heart to this day.

That was my first con, and I was surprised by the presence of scantily clad women cosplaying. Were they hired? Were they not expecting the inevitable sexual harassment from Mr. McNeckbeard?

Last year they tried something new for registration and it failed in a rather epic manner. They've tripled the registration stations this year and hired a company that handles this sort of thing professionally to hopefully make it less horrific to get your badge.

As for the scantly clad women, no they are not hired by the con. Gotta love cosplayers. Just check for an Adam's Apple before taking any to your room.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I won't be at any of those east coast cons, but I will be present at AnimeExpo in LA again this year. I have my fingers crossed on finding some good deals on the last day...like last year, I talked a vendor down to $25 per season of GitS , as well as getting the limited edition of Gantz for like $30.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

Real 4 Kids work there.

Sealab 2021 was fantastic until Harry Goz passed away. And even then, some isolated episodes were funny.

I don't think Williams Street made Sealab. I thought that was all a different studio that Williams Street shut down.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Last year they tried something new for registration and it failed in a rather epic manner. They've tripled the registration stations this year and hired a company that handles this sort of thing professionally to hopefully make it less horrific to get your badge.

As for the scantly clad women, no they are not hired by the con. Gotta love cosplayers. Just check for an Adam's Apple before taking any to your room.

Well, I'm 15, so I can almost guarantee 0 interest from any of the more attractive cosplayers.

Also, to take them back to my room, I would have to take them to my house.

:P

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I don't think Williams Street made Sealab. I thought that was all a different studio that Williams Street shut down.

Yes and no. It was 70/30 productions, which was part of Williams Street Studios.

They also did Frisky Dingo, which I missed out on in its first run, and later found to be pretty damn funny.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I had several respones to this and they all made me sound like I date Pre-op Transexuals.

However I am happy that scantily clad anime chicks are not a myth.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Anime has the nice side effect of having artsy people into it so you can get some good looking ones. The bad side effect of that, if they are fangirls they will be terrible or if they take their cosplaying too seriously they will be terrible. It can be difficult to find reasonable middle ground girls at cons because the other ones all make themselves stand out more.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Anime has the nice side effect of having artsy people into it so you can get some good looking ones. The bad side effect of that, if they are fangirls they will be terrible or if they take their cosplaying too seriously they will be terrible. It can be difficult to find reasonable middle ground girls at cons because the other ones all make themselves stand out more.

Fangirls are easy to work with though. For example -
    Oh you like IchigoXChad ? I thought I was the only one who saw it! They are so totally in love but can't admit it because it's forbidden!

Why yes I would love to talk to you about this at your hotel room.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Oh you like IchigoXChad ? I thought I was the only one who saw it! They are so totally in love but can't admit it because it's forbidden!

What's sad is that this is their thought process. The "Do Not Want!" meme is running through my head right now...

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Toefoo wrote: »

What's sad is that this is their thought process. The "Do Not Want!" meme is running through my head right now...

Listen short of Twilight fans I can put up with alot for a cute girl.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I don't want to generalize or anything, but most of the girls who are seriously into cosplay are nuts. They are attention whores at the worst level and the petty drama they build up within their inbreed circle of other cosplayers is sickening.

Yeah, I made the mistake of dating one of those girls, so my experiences may be a bit skewed. :P

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

So you're more this
    sort20of20want.jpg

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »

I don't want to generalize or anything, but most of the girls who are seriously into cosplay are nuts. They are attention whores at the worst level and the petty drama they build up within their inbreed circle of other cosplayers is sickening.

Yeah, I made the mistake of dating one of those girls, so my experiences may be a bit skewed. :P

A single cosplaying girl managed to ruin my friend's love of photographing cosplayers. We were at my school's really small first year con, and he was unofficially on staff as a photographer. He asks some girl if he could take her picture, and she says in the most exasperated tone possible "I guess you can take my picture too." If you don't want people taking pictures, don't dress up bitch.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

So you're more this
    sort20of20want.jpg

If you are inferring I am like the greatest american hero Al Bundy then yes.

Yes I am.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

King Riptor manipulates poor fangirls

More news at 11

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

A single cosplaying girl managed to ruin my friend's love of photographing cosplayers. We were at my school's really small first year con, and he was unofficially on staff as a photographer. He asks some girl if he could take her picture, and she says in the most exasperated tone possible "I guess you can take my picture too." If you don't want people taking pictures, don't dress up bitch.

Heh, speaking as someone who's been going to the cons for a few years now (well, okay, five years technically), I would tell your friend not to take it so hard.

If someone's already posed 20 minutes for back to back photographs from complete strangers, I don't think it makes her a bitch to be a little exasperated. But hey, that's just me....

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

King Riptor manipulates poor fangirls

More news at 11

Hey now if they want to sleep with me because they think I find gay relationships arousing they have bigger problems than being easy.

Edit- I should point out I have never actually slept with a fangirl just that I know how to work a room.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

Heh, speaking as someone who's been going to the cons for a few years now (well, okay, five years technically), I would tell your friend not to take it so hard.

If someone's already posed 20 minutes for back to back photographs from complete strangers, I don't think it makes her a bitch to be a little exasperated. But hey, that's just me....

I know it's not a huge deal, but I guess something just struck him there. Maybe he just got lucky over the years and never ran into anyone like that before. Now he's just a little more selective, really.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Yes, this was the root cause of last year's debacle. I remember finally getting to the registration computers, and there were, at most, maybe 20 or so of them. For a convention with a 1000+ people. Now that was poorly thought out.

addendum: And the truly ironic part is that the 2006 registration system worked better with simple paper forms, because at least then all you needed was a flat surface to fill it out on.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I'm guessing they'd be more into IchigoXUryu, or GrimmjowXUlquiorra if they're emos.

FCD on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    FCD wrote: »

Yes, this was the root cause of last year's debacle. I remember finally getting to the registration computers, and there were, at most, maybe 20 or so of them. For a convention with a 1000+ people. Now that was poorly thought out.

addendum: And the truly ironic part is that the 2006 registration system worked better with simple paper forms, because at least then all you needed was a flat surface to fill it out on.

So that's what exactly happened. I know at AnimeNEXT every time we had registration issues, it was "At least we're not AnimeBoston." All I knew was that it was some giant clusterfuck.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh my god...

Guys...

Oh my god.

The English dubs to Gurren Lagann are terrible.

They're the fucking worst!

Leeron, Viral, Kamina... ruined.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    They really should have either stuck with the paper forms, or gotten a fuckton more computer registration stations.

FCD on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh my god...

Guys...

Oh my god.

Leeron, Viral... ruined.

Leeron is the best one of the bunch.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh my god...

Guys...

Oh my god.

Leeron, Viral... ruined.

Yeah, the dub wasn't bad. Wasn't fantastic, but wasn't bad. That being said, with one of your specific examples, Steve Blum did Leeron, and he was hilarious.

Jragghen on