As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime Thread] S2: Haruhi Strikes Back

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I still don't get how Arlong survived being lynched.

Crocodile at least has the excuse of being semi immortal and having the marines there to haul him away, and Enel just fucking disappears.

But Arlong?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Crocodile at least has the excuse of being semi immortal and having the marines there to haul him away, and Enel just fucking disappears.

But Arlong?

Fishmen are hearty motherfuckers as you'll soon find out.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man you guys are taking this way too seriously.

Resurrection in this genre. Really. Never Happens.

Naruto has been good lately. This doesn't change it any.

Basically my thoughts. And I think Naruto being able to save the ones who died and basically break the cycle of war and death actually makes it a pretty decent turn of events, that fits the direction the story is going and the ongoing themes very well.

Really, hearing that
    Kakashi is resurrected
    is kinda unsurprising.

I mean,
    He's a major character and major characters in Naruto get a fair amount of time dedicated to their deaths so if a major character barely gets any time dedicated to their death....

Slicer on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, at least One Piece doesn't kill people only to bring them back. I'd rather no one ever die than death to be proven pointless. What makes it even more funny is none of the deaths were any good anyway.
    Even if they were good it still doesn't make them real, just see the Chase Sasuke arc. Fake death is such lazy storytelling. All the impact with none of the follow-through. It really makes it hard to take the conflict seriously. How many Konoha ninjas have died for real since the start of the show? The Third, Asuma and Jiraiya. That's it.

Zek on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, at least One Piece doesn't kill people only to bring them back. I'd rather no one ever die than death to be proven pointless. What makes it even more funny is none of the deaths were any good anyway.
    Death isn't pointless though. There are still plenty of meaningful deaths in the series, plus the person responsible for this is now dead himself. The point of the deaths here wasn't the deaths themselves, it was the pain that war brings. Naruto has now broken that cycle of war and death. Thematically, this works.

It's not like things are now like DBZ, where there's never any drama around character deaths because everyone can just be wished back at the end of the arc. This is one specific situation, that actually has a meaning in the overall story. I don't think it was the greatest way to go about it but I wouldn't really call it bad, either.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, this chapter of Naruto was the biggest ass pull i've ever read.

Like, holy shit, I just lost a ton of respect for it.

Wow.

Also One Piece was, as usual, fan-fucking-tastic.
    The Warden! The Warden

What a stone cold motherfucker.

Also acknowledgment that Skypiea existed!

Godfather on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    Man you guys are taking this way too seriously.

Resurrection in this genre. Really. Never Happens.

Naruto has been good lately. This doesn't change it any.

Basically my thoughts. And I think Naruto being able to save the ones who died and basically break the cycle of war and death actually makes it a pretty decent turn of events, that fits the direction the story is going and the ongoing themes very well.

Really, hearing that
    Kakashi is resurrected
    is kinda unsurprising.

I mean,
    He's a major character and major characters in Naruto get a fair amount of time dedicated to their deaths so if a major character barely gets any time dedicated to their death....

Every other Character said something about it. Hell the character in question had his say on the matter.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    Even if they were good it still doesn't make them real, just see the Chase Sasuke arc. Fake death is such lazy storytelling. All the impact with none of the follow-through. It really makes it hard to take the conflict seriously. How many Konoha ninjas have died for real since the start of the show? The Third, Asuma and Jiraiya. That's it.

Hayate as well. But really, it's nothing new in the genre for the good guys to have far less fatalities than the bad guys. I never though Choji and Neji were gonna die when I was first reading anyway. I just assumed they were exausted and passed out. I don't see why a character has to die for the conflict to be dramatic and impactful.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

Wow.

The Warden! The Warden

Looking back it wasn't really that big of an ass-pull. Nagato had already been established as being able to raise the dead. Up until now, we had only seen him raise his own bodies...but I don't think it's much of a stretch to extend that to people he's recently killed.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Wow.

The Warden! The Warden

Looking back it wasn't really that big of an ass-pull. Nagato had already been established as being able to raise the dead. Up until now, we had only seen him raise his own bodies...but I don't think it's much of a stretch to extend that to people he's recently killed.
    Rinnegan users are messiahs.

I'm far more amused at the anger towards death being reversed than anything else.

It's like. you made me feel. HOW DARE YOU TAKE IT AWAY.

this doesn't happen for me. I always feel relief.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Wow.

The Warden! The Warden

Rinnegan users are messiahs.

I'm far more amused at the anger towards death being reversed than anything else.

It's like. you made me feel. HOW DARE YOU TAKE IT AWAY.

this doesn't happen for me. I always feel relief.
    A least after these last few chapters, we finally know why the Rinnegan was supposed to be the most powerful ocular ability.

But really, people are acting like there's no impact from this arc now. But I don't see that at all. Pain is dead. Jiraya is dead. Naruto has grown a LOT as a character. Hinata confessed. Konoha is destroyed, and is now ripe for Danzou's hostile takeover. A lot happened in this arc, emotionally and thematically.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Don't worry, the Mangaka will write himself into a corner, want to keep the series going and another even better eye-bullshit guy will come along to create another 15 chapters of underwhelming tension.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

But Arlong?

Presumably he runs away to the ocean floor, where angry townsfolk can't get him.

And Enel doesn't disappear. He runs away in his airship and goes to the moooooooooon!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Naruto:
    Well, there's still Madara, so I'm sure we haven't see the last of Sharingan Ex Machina.

I'm actually pretty excited with where everything is going. Sasuke and Madara and inbound to the now-devestated Konoha...just as Danzou is plotting to take over...the same man who Sasuke is looking for revenge on. Everything seems to be converging together...I can see some big battles coming real soon.

Still some wild cards though...like Kabuto, Killer Bee and his Kage brother, the other surviving Akatski members and their collected tailed beast spirits. And I'm sure Orochimaru will come back for one last big showdown with someone, either by possesing Kabuto or coming back another way.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ever since his first demise I invisioned a comeback for pedophile voldemort involving him taking over both Sasuke and Kabuto.

Now that would be entertaining!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What's the policy for Naruto spoilers for those not reading the manga.

I'm just asking, since if there are any. Like at all.

Locked on is breaking every single one.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm not sure anyone cares, to be honest. Since the new series went from "okay, this has promise of awesome!" straight back into shittown I stopped caring. Cue disturbing analogy of reach-arounds, only to get punched in the balls.

Glal on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Why is Sasuke...
    ...heading to Konoha? Didn't the remaining Akatsuki learn that he brought in a fake Killer Bee? Don't they want they want to rectify this huge fucking mistake first?

And yeah the whole resurrection thing was fucking crap. Pain's redemption was crap as well. The whole chapter was fucking crap. Why can't this series have villains that stay villains? Why do they all have to be redeemable? If Madara and Danzo do this as well I'm going to be....so mad...um, yeah :(

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Why is Sasuke...
    ...heading to Konoha? Didn't the remaining Akatsuki learn that he brought in a fake Killer Bee? Don't they want they want to rectify this huge fucking mistake first?

And yeah the whole resurrection thing was fucking crap. Pain's redemption was crap as well. The whole chapter was fucking crap. Why can't this series have villains that stay villains? Why do they all have to be redeemable? If Madara and Danzo do this as well I'm going to be....so mad...um, yeah :(

Seriously, I miss those halcyon days when a villain redeeming himself meant decapitating people with his teeth.

Rust on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So again I ask, what's the status in Monster hitting NA?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh I forget to mention something! In the latest episode of Shippuden, Naruto...
    ...takes Yukimaru home with him...
    ...to have sex
    At least that's the impression I got

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited May 2009

You're right, sorry. I didn't even think about people who might be doing this anime-only. I've gone back and tagged everything, hope no one got spoiled.

As far as redeeming villains go, there's been tons that haven't been.
    Really only Gaara and Pain/Konan have been, as far as major villains go. Orochimaru, Kabuto, the Sound Five, the rest of the Akatski, I doubt Madara will be. Haku and Zabuza might have honorable deaths but they weren't really redeemed. Itachi was made into more of a tragic character but he's still a genocidal mass murderer, and I don't think he was truly redeemed, either.

Gaara and Pain are the only ones who really gave up being the bad guy. I suppose you could count Neji, too...as he was sort of an antagonist for a while until Naruto beat some sense into him.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    naruto. eh.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It's cool, I was just trying to work out simultaneously if it was a problem without coming off as an overserious ass about it since I have read it all myself so don't personally care.

Sort of sidelong, if you get what I mean.

There's no enough young wimmin in short skirts for pikapuff to like naruto.

Am I rite

Yknowimrite

ohyeah

imrite

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

You're right, sorry. I didn't even think about people who might be doing this anime-only. I've gone back and tagged everything, hope no one got spoiled.

Really only Gaara and Pain/Konan have been, as far as major villains go. Orochimaru, Kabuto, the Sound Five, the rest of the Akatski, I doubt Madara will be. Haku and Zabuza might have honorable deaths but they weren't really redeemed. Itachi was made into more of a tragic character but he's still a genocidal mass murderer, and I don't think he was truly redeemed, either.

Gaara and Pain are the only ones who really gave up being the bad guy. I suppose you could count Neji, too...as he was sort of an antagonist for a while until Naruto beat some sense into him.
    Itachi wasn't really a villain though. He was a hero forced into killing his clan to protect the rest of the village. His redemption was letting Sasuke live and then giving him the Mangekyo to stop Madara.

And when said villains I actually meant major villains, so the sound-nins don't count as their just cannon folder meant to be killed. Except Kabuto. That guy's going places.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Itachi wasn't really a villain though. He was a hero forced into killing his clan to protect the rest of the village. His redemption was letting Sasuke live and then giving him the Mangekyo to stop Madara.

And when said villains I actually meant major villains, so the sound-nins don't count as their just cannon folder meant to be killed. Except Kabuto. That guy's going places.
    No, actually, Itachi willingly went along with the slaughter. He wasn't forced. He believed it was the right thing to do. No way is he a hero. He had reasons for doing what he did and to him, they may have been noble reasons...but he's a willing mass-murderer who commited genocide. He's gray-area at best.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

No, actually, Itachi willingly went along with the slaughter. He wasn't forced. He believed it was the right thing to do. No way is he a hero. He had reasons for doing what he did and to him, they may have been noble reasons...but he's a willing mass-murderer who commited genocide. He's gray-area at best.
    Seriously. Sasuke was the only survivor. He clearly wasn't the only Uchiha child and I'll bet any amount of money that he certainly wasn't the youngest, so unless another ass-pull power of the Sharingan is the ability to kill people with baby rattles... Itachi was a sociopath, nothing less.

Falx on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

The council and Danzo ordered him to do it. He found out Madara was going to fuck up Konoha. He used his mission to his advantage to strike a deal with Madara in return for leaving the village alone. Yes he didn't particularly his clan at the time, but he didn't do it because he wanted to, he did it to save lives. Hell, he even had to kill his own girlfriend for crying out loud!

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Speaking of Naruto, I watch the first movie of it today, the Land of Snow one. I was pleasantly surprised. The story was cheesy, especially the ending...but I found it fairly solid. The animation was pretty, and it looked great upscaled on my PS3. And I think Sakura was more useful in it than the entire first series. Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I was going to.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    Seriously, I miss those halcyon days when a villain redeeming himself meant decapitating people with his teeth.

Well that is the best way to go for redemption.

You don't get to see that very often because otherwise people would be fucking people over left and right so they can go redeem themselves in such a fashion.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Has anyone subbed Sengoku Basara ep. 8 yet? The place I go to still just has the RAW.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    DonaldRumsfeldDonaldRumsfeld Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

The council and Danzo ordered him to do it. He found out Madara was going to fuck up Konoha. He used his mission to his advantage to strike a deal with Madara in return for leaving the village alone. Yes he didn't particularly his clan at the time, but he didn't do it because he wanted to, he did it to save lives. Hell, he even had to kill his own girlfriend for crying out loud!
    no where does it say Itachi's lover was a girl
    .. just saying

DonaldRumsfeld on
    111111A.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

.. just saying

111111A.png

Furu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    what

what happened there

number 1 is mad at me

Morninglord on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

[tiny]Am I rite Yknowimrite ohyeah imrite[/tiny
    Eh, you know, time skip and all. They aren't 14 anymore.

j/k j/k I still like the Naruto series. Hinata's still hot.
    and now has an extra fun hole! Two if you count the exit wound~

oh and my original eh was mainly me agreeing with what was said about the newest naruto issue.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »

oh and my original eh was mainly me agreeing with what was said about the newest naruto issue.

D:

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Furu wrote: »

.. just saying

111111A.png
    maito_gai.jpg
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

D:
    His only Naruto was a Krogan. Whoops wrong thread!

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

D:

Okay this one I laughed at pretty hard.

Is anyone still checking out Double K? Because it is magical.

Kelor on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

:| <---Abstract Art Chris Hansen Placeholder.jpg

I installed gimp on my home PC a while ago... this seems like a good enough reason to actually use it.

Falx on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Might want to find a smaller one Falx.

Also Eyeshield was pretty good now I've caught up with the last one. Hopefully it'll stay more interesting than the last faceoff.

Edit: Naruto this week.
    The revival thing felt like a fairly big cop out at the end of the arc, but I'm willing to forgive it for the massive amount of ass kicking that was had at the mid point when he showed back up.

Now Sasuke is coming back I'd love for Killer Bee to show back up just in time for his arrival.

Kelor on