As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Returning used 360s [Solved]

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking to possibly pick up a used 360, but I'm worried about the RROD problems.

What are the details with MS's policy on returning RROD'd systems? Do you need a receipt as proof of when it was purchased? Do you need to be the original owner? Do you pay for shipping or any type of repair?

Also, is there a way to tell by simply looking at a system if is the newer model that doesn't have the RROD problem?

Edit: Also, is there a potential problem with people selling 360s who have been banned from Live? Is it the console itself that gets banned or the user's account?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
Figgy on

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Careful with the used system. Because since they're used, even if you buy it today, in Microsoft's log, it could show that it was sold 3-4 years ago, meaning that it's past warranty.

Then again, I doubt you can actually found a system from the initial launch that works...

And you pay for shipping. Usually you can just go to UPS, and they know what to do, guy I talked to when I brought mine said he gets at least 2 a day.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Edit: Also, is there a potential problem with people selling 360s who have been banned from Live? Is it the console itself that gets banned or the user's account?

Yep, and it's the console itself that's permanently banned from Live. You don't want to buy from someone you don't trust 100%.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yeah don't buy a used 360. i made that mistake a couple years ago and when it died i was fucked.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Honestly, I love my 360... but buying one used is just not a good idea at all.

If you can find one from a store that sells refurb-ed ones with a good warranty it's maaaaybe ok, but I would never ever ever buy one that isn't explicitly covered by a different warranty (because it'll be easy to get screwed by MS on a used one) and certified to not be banned from live (as mentioned above)

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yeah don't buy a used 360. i made that mistake a couple years ago and when it died i was fucked.

From the other side of this, I bought one used from eBay with at least two previous owners, and when I got it replaced I had no trouble. This was because I re-registered it to me as soon as I got it.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok, so the consensus is to simply buy new unless I trust (aka: personally know) the seller?

Sounds like a plan. I saw a posting from a guy in my city selling a 60gb 360 with a few games for $225. He said it was 5 months old, but when I asked the guy where he bought it and if he had the receipt, his answer was:

"I bought it from a friend who had it still new in the box, but I don't have the receipt."

So.. the console is probably fairly old.. likely getting intermittent errors, and could possibly be banned on live.

Is it better to buy the arcade console and then get an HDD seperately, and does that basically make it identical to the pro?

Figgy on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just buy the Pro system.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The Pro has a wireless controller; the Arcade has a wired one.

The Pro has a silver disc tray; the Arcade has a white one.

The Pro comes with both composite and component cables; the Arcade, only composite. This means you need to buy an extra cable for HD display if you buy an Arcade. However, if you were planning on displaying through HDMI, you need to buy that cable no matter which one you get.

The Arcade comes with a free memory card, and the Pro does not. This can be useful to keep your profile on if you go to a friend's or whatever.

I think the Pro comes with a network cable, but I'm not certain on that.

Both systems can be used with any 360 accessory, and operate exactly the same. Both have HDMI ports.

It's up to you to decide if you care about any of the differences and whether it's worth the difference in price.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well, it looks like I might as well just go for the Pro. I do need component, and I won't need HDMI since my TV doesn't output 1080p anyway.

So far I'm looking at:

360 Pro: $299
    Extra controller (incl. Banjo and Kazooie, and Viva Pinato: Trouble in Paradise): $80

These prices are all in CDN. I've been scouring the Internet all morning for different deals and what not, and this seems to be the best bet. There is also a pepsi promotion right now where I can mail away for a $25 rebate on the console.

Edit: Another quick question.

I'm finding some "Holiday Bundles" still available at stores for $299. Should I just grab this for the extra two games, even if they're crap? I could always just goozex em or trade em in somewhere for a few bucks. What I'm wondering is if the holiday bundle 360 is an earlier hardware version than the one I'd get with the simple pro package.

And uh.. this seems like a no-brainer since I'd want to subscribe to Live right away anyway, and that's $60 CDN right there. It's like getting an extra headset, the messenger, and PGR4 for free.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, that Live pack's a good deal. Just be aware that when you sign up for Live that you should choose Silver first, because after confirming that you want Silver it'll then offer you a month of Gold for free, which you won't get if you just choose Gold from the outset. It's just basically an extra month.

The holiday bundles, as long as they're 08 bundles, will be more than fine as far as I'm aware. You might want to ask for a second opinion on that, because it seems like it would be a nice way of getting rid of old stock, but if you bear in mind the fact that I'm still using a refurbished system from early '05 I don't think you've got much to worry about.

Insofar as signing up to Live, don't grab one on Xbox.com in advance or anything. When you get it and create a profile, plug it into your router and select 'Join Xbox Live' while signed in. If you don't do this and play offline first you can end up with two separate profiles and having to do stuff twice, and it's a massive hassle.

Also, be aware that the Xbox 360 is not capable of connecting to a network wirelessly out of the box. You need to buy a separate adaptor, which is extortionately priced. You may want to factor in the cost of a long cable if you need it.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Whoops, also, I should mention that when you buy Live subs or MS Points to always do it through prepaid cards rather than through Live. Once MS have your CC info they do not let go of it under any circumstances. Plus, it's cheaper to buy the cards, which often go on sale at various stores.

I think Tycho once put it as 'buying twenty dollars for ten dollars'.

Willeth on
  • Options
    stawkstawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    The Pro has a wireless controller; the Arcade has a wired one.
    not anymore, arcade comes with a wireless one as well
    The Pro has a silver disc tray; the Arcade has a white one.
    this really only matters if you want to swap face plates, even ill admit that a white tray looks dumb with any face plate
    The Pro comes with both composite and component cables; the Arcade, only composite. This means you need to buy an extra cable for HD display if you buy an Arcade. However, if you were planning on displaying through HDMI, you need to buy that cable no matter which one you get.
    hdmi cables come with elites
    The Arcade comes with a free memory card, and the Pro does not. This can be useful to keep your profile on if you go to a friend's or whatever.
    the arcade has built memory now, you dont get a card anymore
    I think the Pro comes with a network cable, but I'm not certain on that.
    they both come with the cable
    Both systems can be used with any 360 accessory, and operate exactly the same. Both have HDMI ports.
    the elite does actually have a different chip set
    whoops, also, I should mention that when you buy Live subs or MS Points to always do it through prepaid cards rather than through Live. Once MS have your CC info they do not let go of it under any circumstances. Plus, it's cheaper to buy the cards, which often go on sale at various stores.
    that and if you get the cards in stores you pay no tax, however some states charge tax on online purchases

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well nuts, I didn't see that Silver->Gold trick soon enough. Ah well, it's only a month :(

I'm liking things thus far. I've got Banjo Kazooie, Viva Pinato, and PGR4 for now, and Fable II is on its way from Goozex. I'm also downloading the Bionic Commando MP Demo as we speak, so that should be fun for a bit.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Figgy on
This discussion has been closed.