As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress: Be sure to "neuter" your cats at the butcher's shop

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    fuck my mayor, all he asks for is adamantine items, too bad i don't have adamantine.

Kill him with an elaborately designed trap that drops him 14 z-levels into a pit filled with previous nobles.

i want to but before i even started my journey i had already named him after me, i can't just kill me!

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Yay! New thread :)

TekDragon on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What I want to do sometime is trap a dragon or titan to serve as my personal Cerberus.

I'd set up a cage trap outside my fortress, containing a titan or dragon. When the sieges occur, I'd raise the drawbridge and then open up the cage. The dragon or whatever would pounce out, destroy the gobbies. I'd then lure it back into a cage trap so I could repeat the process.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    fuck my mayor, all he asks for is adamantine items, too bad i don't have adamantine.

Kill him with an elaborately designed trap that drops him 14 z-levels into a pit filled with previous nobles.

i want to but before i even started my journey i had already named him after me, i can't just kill me!
    Next time, check to make sure the person you pick as your avatar doesn't have something stupid listed in their likes list, such as adamantine :P

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    oops
    there was a ban on exporting idols
    and I had culling on mandates turned off
    <.<
    >.>

Hammerer is gonna be busy for a while...

ffffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF noooo not my legendary armorer D:

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is there any idea when the next version is coming out?

Cheezy on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's been almost a year since I've played. This is weird. Terrain? Elevation? Whoa.

rayofash on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Urrrggg... I've got that itch to play again, I just have absolutely no time to do so.

Quite the conundrum.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    rayofash wrote: »
    It's been almost a year since I've played. This is weird. Terrain? Elevation? Whoa.

The 3D version is actually a year and a half old now. ;) It came out in October 2007.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It keeps telling me I need non-economic rock when I try to build something in the masons shop. How do I fix this?

Edit: Also, my dwarves are thirsty but they wont drink anything. There's plenty of booze in the stockpile.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Figured it out. My dwarves were somehow stuck underground despite the abundance of stairs and ramps. I had to make them build an up/down above them to force them to the surface.

rayofash on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For the rock:
    Look under (z) for the stocks page, and then go to the stone menu to set the options. "Economic" stone is stuff like iron ore, that you don't want to be used to make tables and such, so it's turned off automatically in that menu. It'll show all the uses for any stone on that menu, too. If you're using mayday's graphics set for some reason a bunch of stones are marked as economic when they don't have any uses, so you have to go in and turn them on.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Why wont the stupid dwarves cut the trees, they have an axe right there! It's not rocket science!

Why don't they ever listen to me! :(

Edit: Oh, for some reason that job was disabled.

rayofash on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Do any of the drarves have the woodcutting labor turned on?
    (v) to view, (p) for preferences (i think), (l) for labor

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So dimdums are the real currency.

Rayofash also has a cool avatar.

Verr on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Should I be worried that a bunch of chasm monsters just got named by my dwarves for apparently no reason? Well, maybe not no reason, I think 4 of my dogs were killed by them.

Also, the stupid Dwarf Liason fell into my moat and we're slowly filling it with water by the buckets. Muhuhaha! We should be done in 10 years!

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Do dogs breed once their owned/trained?

Edit: Yay! They do!

rayofash on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Do dogs breed once their owned/trained?

Yes to both.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Where do I get iron ore from? The smelter thingy says I need something melt designated but I can't designate anything to be melted.

rayofash on
  • Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I got 11 dwarfs, how many should I have in the military? I currently have two, they weren't doing much prior to there draft, and i've yet to be attacked by anything worse then a kobold.

also, how do I merge two squads?

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Where do I get iron ore from? The smelter thingy says I need something melt designated but I can't designate anything to be melted.

See that earth? Strike it.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My dwarfs are putting the food into barrels.

Couscous on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ugh ok this is a retarded issue but I can't seem to figure out how/whats causing it.

Basically any regular command requires you to hold SHIFT for no damn reason. Without holding SHIFT for things as simple as q or d, nothing happens. It's like the commands became inversed for some fucking stupid reason, and I just put in a clean version and got rid of all my old ones.

Any solution to this? There's nothing that I found from googling or the df wiki.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Capslock of some sort? Do you need to press the shift button for commands that are supposed to require a capital letter?

Couscous on
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    oops
    <.<
    >.>

This is why you build a room for the hammerer and wall him in. If I'm feeling nice I'll dump food and drink in through a channeled dumping zone above him and reclaim them for him to survive. If I'm not, I dump a few goblins in with him if I have any.

Edit
    As a bonus, this keeps his grubby mits off my forges and lets my real smiths work.

Woggle on
  • Options
    EndlessInfinityEndlessInfinity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Iron bars can be smelted from Hematite, Limonite, or Magnetite. The melt designated thing refers to the ability of smelters to melt down metal objects to get (correct me if I'm wrong) 1/3 of the bar value back. To do that, you have to select an item either through k or though z -> stocks and then hit m to set it to meltable.

Woot! found the magma. It's now slowly moving toward my forge/smelter complex...
    Migrants? Oh shit... beds! We need beds 10 min ago!
    Hells yes peasants - everyone seems to hate you, but I love having dwarves with whom I can assign all the jobs that have no quality levels. You will begin smelting immediately!

...a furnace operator? F___ YES! PRAISE BE TO ARMOK!

So what the heck music does everyone listen to while playing DF? I'm a big fan for anything with a psychadelic/prog-style to it, be that Justice (Stress in particular), nine inch nails, infected mushroom, king crimson, or... really whatever music comes next on my playlist...

EndlessInfinity cancels post: Interrupted by cheap wine

Edit: ARGH! a miner? I already have two legendary miners... hmmm... but having 3 would get shit done super fast... but I don't *need* more than two, especially with most of my fort mined out already... INTO THE MILITARY YOU GO!

EndlessInfinity on
    MH3 ID : Gernot 92TE9P
    SC2: Zwillinge
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I had a mayor like that once... pissed me off. The hammerer kept killing people who didn't make adamantine items.

The mayor of my new fortress is much easier to please. He requests socks.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    Sorry, I vote for dwarfbucks. I just can't say dimdums and not feel like I've lost a few IQ points.
    Which is ironic, because I swear it's you who started using the term...

Dwarfbuck sounds so generic.

I've mostly just not used any term and simply used a dollar sign where appropriate. It's certainly a lot less typing.

I did use d*md*m once or twice, but just can't move myself to say it anymore.

Dwarfbucks is barely palatable, I certainly would prefer something else, but not d*md*ms.

Dwarfeuros? Dyuros? Dwollars? Drubles? dYen?

Nevermind, those are stupid. Please stop listening to me.

EDIT: List of fictional currencies for inspiration. I vote for dollops and sments.

EDIT x2: Ooo, maybe carp scales? Those have to be worth a lot.

EDIT x3: Again, please stop listening to me. I need therapy.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Sorry, I vote for dwarfbucks. I just can't say dimdums and not feel like I've lost a few IQ points.
    Which is ironic, because I swear it's you who started using the term...

Dwarfbuck sounds so generic.

I've mostly just not used any term and simply used a dollar sign where appropriate. It's certainly a lot less typing.

I did use d*md*m once or twice, but just can't move myself to say it anymore.

Dwarfbucks is barely palatable, I certainly would prefer something else, but not d*md*ms.

Dwarfeuros? Dyuros? Dwollars? Drubles? dYen?

Nevermind, those are stupid. Please stop listening to me.

EDIT: List of fictional currencies for inspiration. I vote for dollops and sments.

EDIT x2: Ooo, maybe carp scales? Those have to be worth a lot.

EDIT x3: Again, please stop listening to me. I need therapy.

I say Drubies. Dwarf Rubies :P

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EndlessInfinityEndlessInfinity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I had a mayor like that once... pissed me off. The hammerer kept killing people who didn't make adamantine items.

The mayor of my new fortress is much easier to please. He requests socks.

My mayor likes bismuth bronze, which, while findable, is going to be a real pain in the ass later... time to stock up on it. He also likes eating quarry bush leaves... I didn't think that was possible.

EndlessInfinity on
    MH3 ID : Gernot 92TE9P
    SC2: Zwillinge
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Woggle wrote: »
    oops
    <.<
    >.>

This is why you build a room for the hammerer and wall him in. If I'm feeling nice I'll dump food and drink in through a channeled dumping zone above him and reclaim them for him to survive. If I'm not, I dump a few goblins in with him if I have any.

Edit
    As a bonus, this keeps his grubby mits off my forges and lets my real smiths work.
    Are you confusing the hammerer and the dungeon master? Heh, I strongly dislike the way the dungeon master butts in on important jobs as well.

Quarry bush leaves are the item you process from quarry bushes that are used for cooking. So it is not only possible but desirable to like those.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    oops
    <.<
    >.>

Edit
    Are you confusing the hammerer and the dungeon master? Heh, I strongly dislike the way the dungeon master butts in on important jobs as well.

Quarry bush leaves are the item you process from quarry bushes that are used for cooking. So it is not only possible but desirable to like those.

Ah yes, it is the dungeon master. I haven't gotten a fort to noble status in quite awhile now. Bastard gets his own isolation chamber, or the hammerer gets dumped in with him depending on how much space I've got.

Here's one recent adventure.
    This is the main intersection of my newly dug fort. The dining room/miscellaneous stockpile is right next to the food making/temporary workshop area. The stairs lead down to my food stockpiles and up to the farms and seed piles. On the left is my newly dug bedroom complex.

dorffort.png

I designate the next level down of my bedrooms to make sure I planned it out right and...

dammit.png

Gorrammit dwarf fortress. :x What I didn't get a screenshot of was the smoke (and fire) everywhere as the fire imps wrought havoc on my poor kittens.

And I'm pretty sure it's possible for dorfs to like almost anything in the game. Not sure about tentacle demons though.
    :winky:

Woggle on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    And I'm pretty sure it's possible for dorfs to like almost anything in the game. Not sure about tentacle demons though.
    :winky:
    They can, in fact, like tentacle demons. For their "corrupt intentions."

Look it up in the RAW folder, in creature_standard.txt.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I never keep nobles around. My latest noble disposal device is a couple of raising bridges up on a one-column thick tower about 15-20 levels high linked to a lever. Set the profile to only allow the nobles to pull the lever, wait for a noble to get flung off into oblivion, and reset the bridges with another lever. Repeat until noble infestation subsides.

The best part is that the nobles get flung clear of the upper open-air statue garden so I don't even have to worry about cleaning up body parts. The hammerer is always up first so I don't have to worry about a baron whipping out a mandate right away and losing an important dwarf if I forget to kill the nobles.

Oh yeah, and you think inadvertently digging into the magma pool sucks? Try managing to to randomly place the zig-zagging anti-goblin ballista firing range hanging over a giant pit and directed by multiple levers and bridges directly over a glowing pit. Dig through on the last level down you need (so falling goblins die and splatter if knocked off the walkway above) and BAM! Spirits of fire for everybody! Made me so mad. I just outright cheated by reloading the save before the breakthrough and marking the area to be avoided until I was ready to deal with it.

You can spend all this time digging out different floors just to find those stupid adamantine veins, but of course the glowing pit is located directly beneath a very time-consuming piece of work in a clear effort to get me to murder my computer. As a bit of revenge, I later breached the pit with a selection of murder machines and killed every spirit while only losing a single hammerlord.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Capslock of some sort? Do you need to press the shift button for commands that are supposed to require a capital letter?

well that helped, ugh. one problem of spraypainting your keyboard i guess, but thanks.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    FendallFendall Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Don't you guys ever set up prisons? I hardly ever have a dwarf sentenced to the hammer for a broken mandate, but then I always have a bunch of Justice assigned chains in my forts. I tried cages once but had a dwarf refuse to sleep and go nuts and I had to deal with a foaming at the mouth dwarfinacage.

Fendall on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fendall wrote: »
    Don't you guys ever set up prisons? I hardly ever have a dwarf sentenced to the hammer for a broken mandate, but then I always have a bunch of Justice assigned chains in my forts. I tried cages once but had a dwarf refuse to sleep and go nuts and I had to deal with a foaming at the mouth dwarfinacage.

You made him into a zoo, right?

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Fendall wrote: »
    You say that like the hammerer only hammers people when there's not enough chains. The gore splattered all over my cells says otherwise!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I never keep nobles around. My latest noble disposal device is a couple of raising bridges up on a one-column thick tower about 15-20 levels high linked to a lever. Set the profile to only allow the nobles to pull the lever, wait for a noble to get flung off into oblivion, and reset the bridges with another lever. Repeat until noble infestation subsides.

You can also eliminate nobles by capping your population at 79.. they trigger at 80 dwarves. You might have to turn off births though, there's quirks with the way the game allows babies when you're under the population cap.

I just cap my forts at 50 dwarves, is more than enough to run a fortress.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    SleepInterrupted.png

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
This discussion has been closed.