As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

StarCraft II beta sign-ups open

PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
http://www.blizzard.com
May 6th, 2009
StarCraft II Beta Test Opt-in
The StarCraft II beta-test period is coming in the months ahead! If you'd like a chance to participate, now's the time to let us know. Simply go to the "Beta Profile Settings" page in Battle.net account management to go through the new beta opt-in process and upload a snapshot of your system specs. During this process, you'll also have the opportunity to opt in to future betas for other Blizzard Entertainment games. Please note that even if you've opted in to our betas previously, you'll need to complete this new process and upload your current system specs to have a chance to be invited.

For more information, see the FAQ -- or create a Battle.net account to opt in now. If you have an unused beta code from BlizzCon 2008 or WWI 2008, visit this site to enter your code.

I'd like to sign up myself, but I get a 403 error when I try to get to battle.net. I hope you guys have better luck with it.

If you're in Europe, you have to use eu.battle.net to access the website.

Peewi on

• ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Excellent. Just did the test and opted in.

Thanks for the info.

Zerokku on
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I got it working. Thanks for the notice.

Tertiee on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What seriously?! I can't get anything besides this, no matter how much I refresh:
    28bwpjl.png
    The weird thing is that I don't have any problems with any other Blizzard websites.

Peewi on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wait, there's a test? I'm guessing it means system test. Guess I'll need to do this from home then.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I made an account and downloaded the opt-in program but it keeps telling me that it can't send the information.

Perhaps it is a serious logjam of activity.

metaghost on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    According to your location, you're in Europe.

Europeans have to manually type in "eu.battle.net". Simply "battle.net" will not redirect to the EU version of the site, unlike the NA version. Why? I have no clue.

Edit: To Peewi.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    korodullin wrote: »
    According to your location, you're in Europe.

Europeans have to manually type in "eu.battle.net". Simply "battle.net" will not redirect to the EU version of the site, unlike the NA version. Why? I have no clue.

Edit: To Peewi.

That's fucking retarded. I'll put it in the OP.

Peewi on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    quick, someone with a good rig upload their system specs
    // damnit, it's not a dxdiag file uploading like usually

Fuga on
    edited May 2009
    I'm officially opt-in'd.
    (Secretly I'm more interested in a Diablo beta...)

metaghost on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Unless they need to beta-test shitty integrated/laptop GPUs I'd better run this from home. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man that site is gonna go down starting at 3PM EST

And I don't get out of class until 5PM

fffffffffffff

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    I get an error when trying to send my system info.

bombardier on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm signing up for a Battle.net account just for this. I have no regrets.

SirUltimos on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You have to have a Blizzard Game to sign up for the beta?

Lame...

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gracias!

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wooo, signed up.

I'm hoping that since I own every Blizzard game, I'll be in some sort of awesome VIP club.
    I'm well aware that this isn't the case at all. :(

Kami on
    edited May 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Lame...

I think it's assumed that if you're the kind of person who pays enough attention to them to know when their betas are and be eager to sign up for one that you're also the kind of person who owns at least one of their games already.

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Maybe it's time for me to buy some Blizzard games, heh...

Impersonator on
    edited May 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Lame...

Huh? No you don't..

Fuga on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, won't let me send my system specs.

SirUltimos on
    edited May 2009
    It's worth it to get a Blizzard battle.net account anyways. I have my old Diablo 2 discs bit they're scratched to hell. I registered my cd key and was able to just download it instead. I have all my blizzard games registered for that reason alone.

This beta opt in is just icing on the cake.

Zerokku on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I keep getting the forbidden message even though I'm definitely in the US. Oh well.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wonder what the odds are of getting in. I feel like this is as useless an exercise as entering the Powerball, maybe more useless.

Still, I guess it's free. I may sign up if I can work up the enthusiasm.

BloodySloth on
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, all you need is a valid CD key for the account to be valid and it lets you play those games without the CDs, so if your problem is old scratched CDs/missing CDs and you still have the case for some reason, you're good.

Alas, my Starcraft I CDs are broken and I misplaced the case, so no go for me on that.

Arkan on
    edited May 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    Yeah, all you need is a valid CD key for the account to be valid and it lets you play those games without the CDs, so if your problem is old scratched CDs/missing CDs and you still have the case for some reason, you're good.

Alas, my Starcraft I CDs are broken and I misplaced the case, so no go for me on that.

When I get home I'll check. I might a code for you. I had lost my original Starcraft CD and had ended up buying the battle chest again, and ended up finding the original, but I'm not sure if I still have it. I'll check for you though.

Zerokku on
  • ProxyProxy regular
    edited May 2009
    Yippie, I'm stuck at work. :x

Proxy on
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    People who can't send their system specs:

Manually allow the exe in the Windows firewall. Should work fine then.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • algorhythmalgorhythm Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Voro wrote: »

this applied to me even though Windows Firewall was disabled

algorhythm on
    terrible.jpg
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks Peewi. I really want to try starcraft 2. I hope they "borrow" chris taylors command queuing like supreme commander.

Viscountalpha on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My battle.net account shows me as already opted-in for all WC, SC, and Diablo products. I did run a system scan thing, which sent them my system specs. Other than that I don't see anything different on their site.

Lucascraft on
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    My battle.net account shows me as already opted-in for all WC, SC, and Diablo products. I did run a system scan thing, which sent them my system specs. Other than that I don't see anything different on their site.

Says you have to send in system specs to even be eligible for getting in any betas.

Jutranjo on
  • MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    algorhythm wrote: »
    Voro wrote: »

this applied to me even though Windows Firewall was disabled

:( still not working for me

EDIT: tried again randomly and it worked!

Mangaroo on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Says you have to send in system specs to even be eligible for getting in any betas.

What I'm saying is, I was already opted in from whenever I created my battle.net account a couple months ago. Today all I did was download their system spec thing and send in my system specs. But my account already had WC, SC, and Diablo all 3 checked as being beta programs I am interested in.

If there is something else I'm missing, please let me know. But from what I saw on the site today, I'm already covered (with the spec update from today).

Lucascraft on
  • CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    opt-ed in! Thanks for letting us know about this op.

Camui on
    edited May 2009
    I wonder what the odds are of getting in. I feel like this is as useless an exercise as entering the Powerball, maybe more useless.

Still, I guess it's free. I may sign up if I can work up the enthusiasm.

Well, I got into the WoW lich king beta. With an account that had been inactive for a year+. So maybe I'm going to get lucky again!

What I'm saying is, I was already opted in from whenever I created my battle.net account a couple months ago. Today all I did was download their system spec thing and send in my system specs. But my account already had WC, SC, and Diablo all 3 checked as being beta programs I am interested in.

If there is something else I'm missing, please let me know. But from what I saw on the site today, I'm already covered (with the spec update from today).
    Yeah, without completing the system spec you wouldn't be eligible for the beta.

Fuga on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I never get in to betas :( .

rayofash on
    edited May 2009
    Anyone know if there's a way to indicate that one is able to Beta on either OSX or Windows?

metaghost on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for the heads up!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • cha0spilotcha0spilot Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    OMG Head Esplode. Thanks for the heads up. Sucks to be stuck at work behind a mean proxy.

cha0spilot on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hell yeah opted-in. Thanks for the info Mr. OP <3!

SJ on