As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[nsfw/56k] WIP it good [Sketchdump]

SublimusSublimus Artist.nowhereRegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Artist's Corner
Here is a bunch of stiff Ive been drawing lately. If it looks like a repeat, its probably updated.
lucha.jpg

soldier.jpg

mixed.jpg

pen_creature.jpg

dread_soldier.jpg

monkee.jpg

thumb_01.jpg

(Next three are crap photos, sorry)
cantpaint_02.jpg

cantpaint_01.jpg

guache.jpg

link.jpg

buckethead.jpg

card_vic.jpg
And these last ones are some early concepts Ive been throwing around for a story line.
copi_01.jpg

copi_02.jpg

copi_03.jpg

copi_04.jpg

Feedback in all facets is much appreciated. :D

Sublimus on

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Lets see, stuff to work on.

Colors are a *little* better than the last thing I saw, but you still need to work on your color-value relationships (the second one from the top is the worst I think, the abdomen and legs are all kinds of fucked up in terms of value)

Anatomy is hit and miss. There are a few passable figures but most of them are just wrong. Try to fit in some general muscle and anatomy studies into your routine, Loomis is a good a place as any to start.

A lot of these look like Bic pen or Pencil drawings with a layer of color splashed beneath them. It looks muddy and awful the way it is now (3rd from top is prime example). Clean up your line-art or don't be afraid to slap down values on top of your scan as well.

A lot of your pen and graphite work also has totally incoherent hatching, and hatching only in one direction on almost the entire piece is boring. Use your hatching to describe forms by having the lines follow the contour of the figure. Right now the hatching is FLATTENING the forms rather than helping describe their volume on many of these.

Best ones are probably the bottom pencil sketches, but again stronger hatching could help those a lot, along with more consistent anatomy.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Scos, thanks for the true blue crit.

In reply, yeah my color is crap, but for that, its not really done, and I was shooting for a walking out of the darkness sort of look. Needs work for sure.

Anatomy; more studies are in order, and working from reference would help too. :oops:

Bic, I like it a lot. Im still working on a method that works with it.

Hatching. Yup, it got away from me in most of these.

Good thing the last ones are the best, they are the most recent!

And two more.

First one is a prelim drawing for a final; redo something from art history and do it in your own way. (Man at the crosroads.)
    new_frontiers.jpg

And this is another sketch that I want to take to completion. Dont what medium yet. Kind of a life/death sorta thang, I guess.

life_after.jpg

Sublimus on
  • Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You have gotten better since you started posting here. So keep workin' at it.

Scos already posted most of the important stuff, but I would like to point out that a lot of your characters are fairly rigid and unnatural looking. Try and "loosen" up a bit when drawing. Think about weight distribution.

Also, just an observation, but most of your characters are facing left. Try and break into some different poses.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Your color-work seems to need a lot more contrast.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Raven, thanks for the complement. And yeah, some new poses wouldnt hurt. Loosening up is actually on the top of my agenda in terms of my art, its starting to hepppen here and there.

Nightdragon, yeah color is a tough spot for me. But Im woring on it, I swear! Haha.

Here are some figure drawings from the past week or so. Most are about ten minute drawings.
    figure_03.jpgfigure_04.jpg
    figure_05.jpgfigure_06.jpg
    figure_07.jpgfigure_08.jpg
    (once I saw wak draw on his model's face, I had to, ha ha)

And here is a media study for that man at the crossroads thing. I bought some new stuff and tried it out real quick. Im really pleased with the results. Probably spent 45 min to an hour in this. (Acrylic under-painting, and liquid acrylic wash on top).

media_gear.jpg

Sublimus on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Your figure drawings seem pretty good! And that's funny you did that to the model's face - I've got two examples in my sketchbook of doing that myself, haha :P

Again, they appear to need more contrast...try drawing something that's got DARK shadows and bright highlights, and then use a full range of values when drawing it out.

That and you may want to practice drawing hands and feet a bit more. Still, nice work!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    WIP for my figure drawing final. We have to do three master studies of the figure; one front, one side, and one back view.

I'll post the other when I start them, and the finished versions of all of them.

davey.jpg

Hmmm, heads a little small. Especially for david.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Those aren't flying rowboats are they? Man, that'd be weird. I draw those everyday for my comic concept.

This is all pretty cool Sublimus. Wish you'd finish Link, though.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, Tam. They actually are flying. But Ive seen them a few places, and its a sweet idea for sure.

Here is a typography assignment I had where you had to take a roman of phonecian character, and use the symbol, a header, and a body text, and in each design, have one be the emphasis.

XI_Text_s.jpg

XI_Title_s.jpg

XI_Symbol_s.jpg

I have another type assignment that I'll have to do tonight too, so expect that sometime before I go to bed (EST).

Sublimus on
  • Options
    (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    When we had to do Typography back at College, it sucked because we had to do it a certain way, and couldn't do anything cool like what you did.

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Oh trust me, we did the boring stuff in the beginning. We had a few assignment where we had to hand calligrapher type faces.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Did you do those in Illustrator or Photoshop?

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I used to think Illustrator was the shit, but now I hate it. Its all Photoshop.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Update one my figure drawing final assignment.

Front.
    fig_final_02.jpg

Side.
    fig_final_03.jpg

Rear.
    fig_final_01.jpg

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Here is something I started yesterday that Im kind of excited about.

life_death.jpg

I guess its supposed to be a life/death sort of thing.

I want to overlay a skull over the angels face a little better.
    I need to figure out a better robe color.
    I need to actually draw in the hands (even though they're huge)
    And then I need to detail it I guess.

Its liquid acrylic inks and I spent probably about five hours on it so far. And because I like working with this stuff, I think Im going to lay off the digital for a while. Traditional just seems so much more intuitive, I guess.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The bodies on those figure drawings are really good, but the head/faces are lacking in the amount of detail/realism.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sublimus wrote:
    XI_Title_s.jpg

I really like this for some reason.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Got a moleskin for xmas, and kind of went wild for a few days since I couldnt use my other present, my intuos! Which will be tonights batch of fun, I assure you.

moleskin01.jpgmoleskin02.jpg

moleskin03.jpg

moleskin05.jpg

moleskin04.jpgmoleskin06.jpg

moleskin07.jpg

And some other random crap.
    winged_skull.jpg

eggman.jpg

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Here is what Ive gotten done so far since last night.

reptile.jpg

Sublimus on
  • Options
    Hellbound 17 1/2Hellbound 17 1/2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm really digging the third one down a lot (The skully-spine red guy). The inking style is neat. :)

Hellbound 17 1/2 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hellbound: Thanks, I was trying to be messy with that one. Im not sure if I like it or not though.

Here are todays scribbles, and a small update on the other one.
    moleskin08.jpg
    moleskin09.jpg
    reptile2.jpg

:| needs a lot of love. Its all over the place right now. I'll get to it after first fridays!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sketch

moleskin10.jpg

Digi sketch

blushbot.jpg

Two WIPs

sp03.jpg

balance.jpg

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Just some more junk, I suppose.

moleskin11.jpg

axman.jpg

And hen just screwing around in ps (ignore smushed shoulder, I blame the end of the page it was drawn on.)

whaa.jpg

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    tribekid.jpg
    longneck.jpg
    bigguy.jpg

Sublimus on