As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

St. Louis: Where will I have the smallest chance of being murdered?

DioltasDioltas Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, so this morning I found out that I was accepted to Teach for America in St. Louis. Huzzah! Now comes the hard part - I have to find accommodations in St Louis starting mid July. However, I have never been there and thus have absolutely zero clue where I should be looking for apartments. This is where the brain bank of you, the PA forums, comes in.

Necessary facts:
-I have no idea where within the city I will end up being placed, so I need to be somewhere that is just more or less accessible to everywhere.
-I will, through some dark magic or another, have acquired a car by the time I move down there, so the place has to have parking but does not necessarily have to be near any public transportation.
-I enjoy dense urban areas more than suburbs and have a weakness for beautiful architecture and trees.
-I will be in St Louis from June 1-5 to scope things out (and possibly sign a lease?).

And my questions as they stand right now:

-What neighborhoods are the nicest? Most fun to live in? Best for a young 20-something to be living alone in?
-I'm looking for a 1br or a studio, although it may come to pass that I have to get a roommate and a 2br or something. What can I reasonably expect to pay for this?
-Utilities - rape-tastically expensive there or reasonable?
-On a similar vein, internets: what providers are there and who is the lesser evil?
-I hear that St Louis is fond of its murder. Where in the city should I be least/most worried about this?

I think that's all I have right now. Of course, if you have any tips on teaching science to high schoolers, I am all ears.

TIA

Dioltas on

• Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dioltas wrote: »
    -I have no idea where within the city I will end up being placed, so I need to be somewhere that is just more or less accessible to everywhere.

Anywhere in the city is ten minutes from anywhere in the city if you take a car. St. Louis doesn't have viable public transportation (the Metro system is a novelty, and a relatively dangerous novelty at night), so a car is a must.
    -I will, through some dark magic or another, have acquired a car by the time I move down there, so the place has to have parking but does not necessarily have to be near any public transportation.

Not a problem, parking in STL is dirt cheap compared to most metro areas.
    -What neighborhoods are the nicest? Most fun to live in? Best for a young 20-something to be living alone in?

Downtown, Central West End, U. City, and The Garden District, in that order.
    -I'm looking for a 1br or a studio, although it may come to pass that I have to get a roommate and a 2br or something. What can I reasonably expect to pay for this?

$500 to $650 in the Garden District, $750ish in the CWE, $800 to $1,100 for a decent little loft downtown.
    -Utilities - rape-tastically expensive there or reasonable?

Depends on what you're used to. Not prohibitively expensive or anything, but bear in mind that we have weather all year. 104f summers, 12f winters. Air conditioning and reliable heating are both mandatory.
    -On a similar vein, internets: what providers are there and who is the lesser evil?

I understand FiOS is available in some neighborhoods (be sure to double-check). Even if not, I've had both AT&T DSL and Charter cable internet, and both have been fine.
    -I hear that St Louis is fond of its murder. Where in the city should I be least/most worried about this?

Stay out of East St. Louis, and try to avoid the north side (anything north of Delmar). While there's honestly nowhere in St. Louis I wouldn't stop for gas or anything, I'll come right out and say it; the crime rate is only especially high in the black neighborhoods.

Also, you didn't ask, but:
    + Coffee Cartel is the best coffee place in the CWE
    + The Missouri Botanical Gardens are the best place to walk around
    + The St. Louis Zoo is arguably second only to the San Diego Zoo
    + Pointers is the best pizza place (and don't trust anyone who likes "St. Louis Style" pizza)
    + Almost anyplace on The Hill is the best place to eat
    + Cicero's is a great "first date" restaurant
    + The Amtrak station is the best place to get mugged
    + Don't rent from The Byron Company
    + When someone says "Farty", they mean "Forty", it's an accent thing
    + Familiarize yourself with a band called "The Urge", it will come up, trust me.
    + I'm moving back there this summer, and will buy you a beer if you'd be so inclined.

Good luck!

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    RenegadeSilenceRenegadeSilence Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    words

Pretty much this

East/north St. Louis are pretty much responsible for the "most dangerous US city" title.

The crime in the Delmar Loop isn't too bad, pretty much just robberies and muggings. Although a cop was murdered there last year.
    I have friends that live there, but they're students so the conveniences for the outweigh the risks for them. I believe an apartment for them was like <$700.
    A lot of students live around there so you would have a lot of people in your age group.

RenegadeSilence on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yes, north st.louis and east st. louis (which is across the river and techinically in the Illinois side) are the places you should definately steer clear of at night. Other than that, there are some randome neighborhoods around that are a little unsavory (sometimes just 2-3 blocks from a safe one) but that is becoming much less common with all the renovation going on.

Just be prepared like you would in any other major city and take the proper precautions.

Also, you'll learn to love the weather here. It sucks 9 months out of the year.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »

HAH, no worries there, I hail from St Paul. We understand the suck. Though I do have to ask - does it snow much there? I have also heard unsettling things about earthquakes - confirm/deny?

And Wasted Pixels, you are my hero. That is a crapton of useful information there. I would definitely be game for a beer once I get settled in. Would you mind if I PMed you later on down the line if I come up with any more pressing questions? You seem to know the area pretty well.

Dioltas on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yes, we get snow, the two recent winters, I've been in college in souther missouri so I'm not 100% sure about the extent of how bad it was in St. Louis. I know they did get some snow but if it was like most years, it was cleared up fairly quickly. Main roads are usually clear that day unless the snow is very heavy, but that's rare, side roads are more iffy. I have to admit, I live in Illinois but my dad drives into St. louis everyday for work. I don't remember the last time he missed work due to snow.

The earthquakes are minor- I've never actually felt one.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Though I do have to ask - does it snow much there?

Depends on the year. Sometimes we get three or four light dustings, sometimes we get a solid foot of global warming. I wouldn't say we get heavy snow, but we do get frequent snow during the winter months.
    I have also heard unsettling things about earthquakes - confirm/deny?

Deny, so far. We get a little 4.0 rumbling every now and again, but there hasn't been a major earthquake since the late 1800s (I think!). That said, we ARE right on the New Madrid fault, and that one back in the day was pretty hardcore. It could happen someday, but nobody here loses sleep over it.
    And Wasted Pixels, you are my hero. That is a crapton of useful information there. I would definitely be game for a beer once I get settled in. Would you mind if I PMed you later on down the line if I come up with any more pressing questions? You seem to know the area pretty well.

I was born and raised in the area (Metro East represent, ha), so while it isn't the most exciting place to be from, I know a lot about it, and I'm always happy to bitch and moan -- err -- provide insight about the city. PM me any time. :)

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    We've had one earthquake that I know of in the past like.. 5 to 10 years (probably more, i've only had one my whole life and it was the one 2-3 years ago that was roughly a 2 or something)

HOWEVER there is a fault nearby and there was that really fucking huge one in 1812, but no worries.

As for snow, it is probably not as bad as what you're used to. Sometimes we get hit decently, but lately its all about the ice storms knocking out power and whatnot.

In closing: Saint Louis style pizza is boss, haters to the left.

Fabricate on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Fabricate wrote: »
    In closing: Saint Louis style pizza is boss, haters to the left.

You are fundamentally wrong, sir. You do not put fucking Velveeta on a pizza, and that's what Provel ultimately is.
    Oh, and OP? If you want to blend in with the locals, keep in mind that everyone under 30 drinks Schlafly, not Budweiser. Schlafly Pale Ale is good, but their seasonal Scotch Ale? Stuff of legends.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, even though Bud is brewed here, everyone is pissed because it is now owned by people out of the country. It was our beer bastards.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Protip: South Grand and Lindell (located in South City) are not very safe streets despite their proximity to St. Louis University, SLU Hospital, and the Fox Theater.

cytorak on
  • Options
    DasBootDasBoot Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

HAH, no worries there, I hail from St Paul. We understand the suck. Though I do have to ask - does it snow much there? I have also heard unsettling things about earthquakes - confirm/deny?

I'm from KC and when it comes to weather, you don't have to worry about the snow as much as you have to worry about the annual apocalyptic ice storm that makes life hell for a while if you're unlucky.

I'm not so pessimistic on the weather. January-February are definitely the apex of bleak winter misery. If you have a thing against outrageous humidity, Missouri is not a place for you to live in.

I would be more worried about accidentally having your car spontaneously explode in E. Saint Louis than earthquakes. I think my grandma felt a tremor once in the 1970s.

Also, don't believe anyone who says Imo's Pizza is "good."

DasBoot on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Little Game Blog - http://profundospielen.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Imo's Pizza is good :(

It's just expensive as fuck :cry:

Nappuccino on

• Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    wasted pixels covered pretty much everything you probably need to know, except for one thing:

The City Museum is an amazing way to burn an afternoon.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DasBoot wrote: »

I'm from KC and when it comes to weather, you don't have to worry about the snow as much as you have to worry about the annual apocalyptic ice storm that makes life hell for a while if you're unlucky.

I'm not so pessimistic on the weather. January-February are definitely the apex of bleak winter misery. If you have a thing against outrageous humidity, Missouri is not a place for you to live in.

I would be more worried about accidentally having your car spontaneously explode in E. Saint Louis than earthquakes. I think my grandma felt a tremor once in the 1970s.

Also, don't believe anyone who says Imo's Pizza is "good."

Kansas City here as well. The weather in this part of the midwest works like this:

Summer: Unbearably hot and humid. Highs will range from 90-110 with 100% humidity. You will start sweating as soon as you get out of the shower.

Fall: The two weeks of fall are really nice. Pleasantly cool and crisp.

Winter: Lasts from November through when it decides to be done. We had a snow storm that dropped 6 inches during the last weekend of March. Depends on the year on how bad the precipitation is. Sometimes you'll get lots of snow accumulation and other years you'll get frequent dustings that don't do anything. Be prepared for people to drive like assholes because they don't know how to drive in bad weather.

Spring: The two weeks of spring are really nice. Warmish and not humid. Lots and lots of rain.

Also, just be prepared for people to drive like assholes all the time. Folks in these parts like to concentrate on everything other than driving while they're driving.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    JHunz wrote: »
    wasted pixels covered pretty much everything you probably need to know, except for one thing:

The City Museum is an amazing way to burn an afternoon.

Holy hell, yes!

And, before you think "man, that looks like a kids place" They have live music at night (edit: I remember going atleast once when they had live music, but I don't see that listed on their site) and beer served there.

edit 2: someone should verify this. I just realized I haven't been to the city museum in about 7 years things may have changed or I could be remembering them wrong.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There is also a Mc. Donalds on a boat there which I always found amusing as a kid. I didn't go to St. Louis much though. I had the misfortune of being born in Sedalia...where the most interesting thing is the state fair.

DAMN I am SO glad not to live there anymore after hearing you guys talk about weather. The first apartment I got the AC and Heater would ALWAYS break. I was so cold in the winter I had to carry my space heater from room to room and sit next to it while covered with a blanket. And my hand would be so cold it would hurt when I'd stick it out to use with my computer mouse.

In the summer it was so hot I felt like I was going to die. I would have to take cold showers periodically to cool off, but the water wouldn't even get cold because the water tank for the building was on the top of the roof and made of tin and would warm up.

Run while you still can OP.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thylacine wrote: »
    DAMN I am SO glad not to live there anymore after hearing you guys talk about weather.

Hey now, there are some nice things to be said about our unique climate.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'll also add that I live in the Tower Grove neighborhood which is just south of the Garden District referenced above. It's an up and coming neighborhood, and rents are pretty good. Lots of students and young families are moving in and it's becoming much safer. My two bedroom apartment that's newly renovated is $650. It's an older part of town, so things like outlets in every room and central heat/air become very important. Don't let some sleazy landlord tell you that open windows and a fan are sufficient cooling in the summer.

It's a good city, and I'm in a part of it that actually feels like living in a city, so that's nice. Plus, I'm a block away from the Royale and right across the street from Tower Grove Park, so lucky me.

kilroydos on
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I had lots of great times at the City Museum when I was a kid, but there was a ton of stuff for adults too. Its definitely recommended along with the Zoo.

Burgu on
  • Options
    Project MayhemProject Mayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would echo that living near Grand and Lindell is not the best of ideas, I lived there and hated it. I live in Chesterfield now, love it, but it's definitely suburban, and a little pricey depending on the area (compared to other areas, esp. in the southern counties). Just stay out of east saint louis and northern saint louis and you'll be fine. Get as many friends as you can, because there aren't really any good touristy things to do.

BUT - City Museum is a lot of fun, the zoo and Forest Park are really nice. Get some Ted Drews frozen custard, explore the loop.

And really compared to other cities it's not that expensive, so you should be ok with going out, etc.

You'll be fine.

Project Mayhem on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pi is some of the best pizza in St. Louis, also the Black Thorn Pub on Grand has some pretty good pizza.

I agree with most of what others have said; stay out of East St. Louis (unless you want to visit a strip club, in which case, I recommend The Hustler Club), and north st. louis.

Central West End is probably the best place to live, but it IS expensive.

Fun places:
    City Museum
    Forest Park / Zoo
    Botanical Gardens are pretty cool

There is lots of fun to be had in Soulard, especially after Cardinals games. Bars you'll want to visit Patti-O's, Hraboskys, Big Daddys, Harry's. There are some cool bars on Washington Ave, but the douchebag quota is pretty high (you'll run into a lot of people who probably make about 50k a year, trying to live like they make 6 figures).

Oh, and the weather sucks here.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thylacine wrote: »
    DAMN I am SO glad not to live there anymore after hearing you guys talk about weather.

Hey now, there are some nice things to be said about our unique climate.

I'm inclined to say that is a booby prize for having to live there.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Do you mean Mardi gras?

I've never been to the one in town so... that prize may not exist :P

Nappuccino on

• Options
    Caliban42Caliban42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I lived in Hi-Pointe/Dogtown from 2000-2007, and that neighborhood is fine, especially since you can walk to the Zoo or Art Museum if you're so inclined. Richmond Heights shouldn't be expensive, it's close to Wash U and lots of college kids live there. My wife lived off the Delmar Loop and says that wasn't bad, either. She says to stay away from the Barron Company, but she rented from Byron for years without problem.

Wasted Pixels: I've got to know, why would you suggest living in either Downtown or by the Botanical Gardens? Unless things have changed drastically over the last couple years, downtown is dead as dead can be (there's not even a grocery store anywhere remotely close) . I guess they had the lofts go up on Washington, but they're really expensive and unless you just really want to go to the City Museum like every day, there's not a whole lot of reason to live there. I also had some friends that lived near the Garden and that place was most certainly a block by block neighborhood.

Caliban42 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Caliban42 wrote: »
    Wasted Pixels: I've got to know, why would you suggest living in either Downtown or by the Botanical Gardens? Unless things have changed drastically over the last couple years, downtown is dead as dead can be (there's not even a grocery store anywhere remotely close) . I guess they had the lofts go up on Washington, but they're really expensive and unless you just really want to go to the City Museum like every day, there's not a whole lot of reason to live there.

The loft district downtown is about the only part of the city right now with modern housing. If you want an apartment with luxuries like grounded outlets and water pressure, it's the place to be -- $800 a month is only "expensive" by St. Louis standards. And come on, if you're living in Metro St. Louis, you're hitting the burbs no matter what for groceries and shopping, it's just a question of east or west. I was clear from the get-go that St. Louis isn't a "car optional" city.

As for the garden district -- we're talking about the same neighborhood, right? South of 44, north of Arsenal, east of Kingshighway, west of Grand? I lived down on Russel for a bit, and it was fine. I can't speak for anything south of Tower Grove, but the gardens and the hill are both pretty good neighborhoods. Frankly, I worried a lot more about violent crime when I was living in the CWE -- you get a lot of unpleasant stuff coming down Kingshighway. The CWE Metrolink stop is the most compelling argument I've ever seen for concealed carry laws. :P

edit:
    She says to stay away from the Barron Company, but she rented from Byron for years without problem.

Re: Byron -- your mileage may vary, I guess. In my case, they went well out of their way to conceal serious problems with the apartment (tossing three-prong covers over GFCIs, concealing mold with paint and furniture, and telling me that AT&T was the phone provider -- but not mentioning that the phone jacks throughout the apartment were known to be non-functional). Pretty nearly went to court with them over terminating the lease. Horrible experience.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    Caliban42Caliban42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    $800 a month is only "expensive" by St. Louis standards. And come on, if you're living in Metro St. Louis, you're hitting the burbs no matter what for groceries and shopping, it's just a question of east or west. I was clear from the get-go that St. Louis isn't a "car optional" city.

That's fair enough about the $800. My cousin used to have a loft there and for some reason I thought it was a lot higher than that, but like I said, my info is at least a couple years old. But as far as the grocery store goes, yeah you need a car, but living downtown means quite a longer drive than if you live anywhere else in the city. Also, there were new apartments and townhouses going up in Dogtown and at the old Arena site when I left town, so those should be modern and closer to shopping and probably work, unless the OP is working for AG Edwards.
    As for the garden district -- we're talking about the same neighborhood, right? South of 44, north of Arsenal, east of Kingshighway, west of Grand? I lived down on Russel for a bit, and it was fine. I can't speak for anything south of Tower Grove, but the gardens and the hill are both pretty good neighborhoods. Frankly, I worried a lot more about violent crime when I was living in the CWE -- you get a lot of unpleasant stuff coming down Kingshighway. The CWE Metrolink stop is the most compelling argument I've ever seen for concealed carry laws. :P

Yeah, we're talking about the same place, though I've never heard anyone call if the garden district, everyone I knew, including the friends that lived there, just called it Tower Grove. The friends I was talking about lived on Shenandoah (I think, it's been a while) and their block was fine, but the next block over was full of condemned buildings. Admitedly, I didn't investigate the neighorhood that much, but just driving to their place, it looked like that was pretty much the norm for that area. But, that area should be much better now since they've basically torn down all the neighborhood north of 44 and doen a lot of work south of it, too.

Caliban42 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Alright this is kind of a big request, but I must be a moron and cannot find this dogtown area on googlemaps Would anyone out there be able/willing to throw together a map with reasonable-to-live-in areas highlighted? You would be my hero.

A more reasonable request - does anyone have a good recommendation for a mechanic in the St Louis area who, at the very least, will screw me gently? As I said I am buying a car to take down there and at my price range, I guarantee I will need the mechanic sooner rather than later.

Dioltas on
  • Options
    stlWillstlWill Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    Soulard and Central West End are both pretty awesome areas, but as with any city I'd double check the area around any potential rental that you're looking at. Both provide some great community events but CWE can be a bitch as far as parking is concerned.

Creve Coeur is one of the pricier areas, but you'll be hard pressed to find a better maintained and safer (while still affordable) area in St. Louis.

Pixels and I have some friends who live in Webster Groves, and most of the people I know who've lived there say it's all rainbows and unicorns. I know nothing of it personally except that I've never really heard anything bad about it.

Downtown is unnecessarily expensive, if well-located.

As mentioned earlier, avoid north St. Louis (most of the area north of Delmar) and east.

Someone earlier mentioned the Metrolink: Funding's been cut recently, so it's running less often than it used to, but the areas immediately surrounding most stations are usually pretty sketchy. The metrobus is less this way, but still worth watching out for.

--- edit ---
    Removed section on Dogtown, I'll defer to the more knowledgeable individual in the next post.

stlWill on
  • Options
    BoneKinBoneKin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dogtown has Hampton as its eastern edge, so I don't know what the previous poster was referring to. I work in Dogtown, btw. Lots of smaller, brick homes in the area, and I think a bunch of apartments along Oakland or Clayton. I wouldn't mind living there at all.

There's a cluster of shops in the center of the neighborhood where you will find the Seamus McDaniel's Pub. Very good food, my office orders lunch there quite often.

Also, if you decide to live there, I hope you like partying on St. Patrick's day, because you'll have a hell of a time leaving. It took me 30 minutes to go two miles that afternoon. :(

If you don't necessarily need to live in the city limits, Maplewood and Richmond Heights both have many apartments available and shouldn't be too expensive. I'm in Maplewood in an older 2 bedroom apartment for $540, but that's on the low side.

BoneKin on