Options

Pre Fight Debate Thread: Bracket 10

• Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Spider-Man snuck in early in the Fantastic Four's career. Not too many horrible enemies and very little need for lasers. Then Spidey breaks in with the greatest of ease, which would obviously make Reed beef up the security.
    Not necessarily to the point where it reaches lethal measures, though, especially since the person who broke in was Spider-Man and not an actual villain.

Whenever anyone's broken in, the FF has always relied on their powers to stop them.
    Sentry wrote:
    Didn't those recent Franklin books, the ones that looked like Calvin and Hobbes, show all the misadventures franklin got into messing with Reed's shit that left lying around?
    He clones himself, shrinks himself, and accidentally turns his classmates into fruit.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Did I read this right? Did someone actually suggest you could hack into the building's security system through a tourist kiosk?

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Did I read this right? Did someone actually suggest you could hack into the building's security system through a tourist kiosk?

Pretty much.

Marathon on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006

If Reed makes it, you could probably hack NORAD.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spider-Man snuck in early in the Fantastic Four's career. Not too many horrible enemies and very little need for lasers. Then Spidey breaks in with the greatest of ease, which would obviously make Reed beef up the security.
    Not necessarily to the point where it reaches lethal measures, though, especially since the person who broke in was Spider-Man and not an actual villain.

Whenever anyone's broken in, the FF has always relied on their powers to stop them.

The FF aren't always home, and Reed is too smart not to put in a security system.

Furthermore, the lasers aren't lethal. Not to the people they would be used on.

I have said this numerous times, but you keep ignoring it. The lasers would only be used on the intruders who, through defeating the other safety measures, have been deemed durable enough to get shot at by lasers without getting killed. Reed can build computers that can decide things like that.

Old ladies would not get lasered. Unless they broke through the blast doors, out of the immobilizing foam and shrugged off the gas. Obviously an old lady like that could take a laser.

If Lex hacked the security system, though, he'd be able to say "fuck it, I'm lasering you now" rather than having to imprison Ra's in a corridor, foam him and gas him first.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:

Yeah, to be fair the kiosk would probably be more powerful than it needs to be because that's just the way Reed is. Besides, at the very least it has to give out information for regular people to get safely when Kang or Super-Skrull show up which means it has to be connected to some security information.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

Yeah, to be fair the kiosk would probably be more powerful than it needs to be because that's just the way Reed is. Besides, at the very least it has to give out information for regular people to get safely when Kang or Super-Skrull show up which means it has to be connected to some security information.

Why would Reed build the tourist kiosks? And there's a big difference between getting security updates and having access to security systems.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Old ladies would not get lasered. Unless they broke through the blast doors, out of the immobilizing foam and shrugged off the gas. Obviously an old lady like that could take a laser.

I am sigg-ing this.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

Why would Reed build the tourist kiosks?

Because he's freaking Reed Richards? The idea of someone else programming computers on his property would bug him to no end.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Malkor wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

Because he's freaking Reed Richards? The idea of someone else programming computers on his property would bug him to no end.

So I guess Reed designed everything in the building then? Maybe even atomic-powered ovens for the kitchens and closets with shrink rays installed so he can claim they're all "walk-in"? I would think even Reed would have better things to do with his time than program what is essentially an electronic brochure. And even if he did, if getting into the mainframe was as easy as hacking the fucking computer in the lobby, why bother with all the defenses in the main labs? The security is compromised already.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Malkor wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

So I guess Reed designed everything in the building then? Maybe even atomic-powered ovens for the kitchens and closets with shrink rays installed so he can claim they're all "walk-in"? I would think even Reed would have better things to do with his time than program what is essentially an electronic brochure. And even if he did, if getting into the mainframe was as easy as hacking the fucking computer in the lobby, why bother with all the defenses in the main labs? The security is compromised already.

he's reed richards

he is exactly the kind of person who would build seven and a half pocket sized space fighters and then accidentally leave them in the lobby when he thinks of a better way to scrub graffiti off ben's back, and then twenty minutes later he might not even remember he invented the space fighters

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:

I have said this numerous times, but you keep ignoring it. The lasers would only be used on the intruders who, through defeating the other safety measures, have been deemed durable enough to get shot at by lasers without getting killed. Reed can build computers that can decide things like that.

That's stupid. Lasers are designed to kill. So, either they kill or, in the case of invulnerable people, they do absolutely nothing. There is no middle ground where a laser knocks you unconscious like knockout gas would.

Deadly or nothing are both poor scenarios for a Reed Richards security system, so he isn't going to use it.

And actually there are tons of ways to break through security measures without being invulnerable to laser fire. Kitty Pryde like phasing, busting through walls with telekinesis, excetera. Hell, you could be part of a team that includes a guy who is durable enough to take laser fire while you yourself are not.

Blah blah blah.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

That's stupid. Lasers are designed to kill. So, either they kill or, in the case of invulnerable people, they do absolutely nothing. There is no middle ground where a laser knocks you unconscious like knockout gas would.

Deadly or nothing are both poor scenarios for a Reed Richards security system, so he isn't going to use it.

And actually there are tons of ways to break through security measures without being invulnerable to laser fire. Kitty Pryde like phasing, busting through walls with telekinesis, excetera. Hell, you could be part of a team that includes a guy who is durable enough to take laser fire while you yourself are not.

Blah blah blah.

Oh, right, lasers only kill, especially in comics.

That's why people never get injured by lasers. They ponly either die or they survive without a scratch. There is never any middle ground.

You're basically ignoring some sixty years worth of comics history claiming that lasers never knock people out.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

Blah blah blah.

That's why people never get injured by lasers. They ponly either die or they survive without a scratch. There is never any middle ground.

You're basically ignoring some sixty years worth of comics history claiming that lasers never knock people out.

I've mostly seen people dodge lasers.

At the very least, you have to admit that they're designed to kill for the most part and, when they aren't, it'd be extremely difficult to calibrate them so that they never kill as you'd have to account for people like the elderly Destiny who accompanies the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants along with all the phasers, telekinetics, and teleporters who may not know what they're getting into or be in peak physical condition (when anyone can get powers, it's a concern).

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

Blah blah blah.

sounds like reed needs more than just some lasers then

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

At the very least, you have to admit that they're designed to kill for the most part and, when they aren't, it'd be extremely difficult to calibrate them so that they never kill as you'd have to account for people like the elderly Destiny who accompanies the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

no, because reed richards

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

Blah blah blah.

I've mostly seen people dodge lasers.

At the very least, you have to admit that they're designed to kill for the most part and, when they aren't, it'd be extremely difficult to calibrate them so that they never kill as you'd have to account for people like the elderly Destiny who accompanies the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

No, because Destiny would not get shot by the lasers. Why? Because she's not a tough old lady who can break through blast doors, immobilizing foam and shrug off the effects of gas.

You really don't read my posts, do you? It's fairly obvious that you don't since you constantly ignore anything I say that proves you wrong.

The Baxter Building has had lasers in at least one canon storyline, and it's logical for them to have lasers. Because of their powerful enemies. Stop trying to debate this, it's completely useless, you lost before you even started.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:

No, because Destiny would not get shot by the lasers. Why? Because she's not a tough old lady who can break through blast doors, immobilizing foam and shrug off the effects of gas.

You really don't read my posts, do you? It's fairly obvious that you don't since you constantly ignore anything I say that proves you wrong.

The Baxter Building has had lasers in at least one canon storyline, and it's logical for them to have lasers. Because of their powerful enemies. Stop trying to debate this, it's completely useless, you lost before you even started.

And like I said, that same canon storyline was terribly conceived and I'm convinced they just turned the Baxter Building into a deathtrap for the hell of it without regard for what would be reasonable.

You're assuming the security systems are keeping track of who does what as a group breaks in, and I guess that's feasible though it is by no means enough. Crossfire is still a factor, as is the fact that I doubt a computer can distinguish between someone tearing through a wall via telekinesis and someone tearing through a wall via super-strength (it happens on the other side of the wall, where there is no surveillance).

Take Nico from the Runaways. She could get past a wall, get past foam, and get past gas. Without enhanced agility or senses, though, a laser could easily tag her and, as a teenage girl with a normal physiology and a poor diet, probably kill her if she's tagged in the wrong way.
    no, because reed richards

It's worth noting that arms manufacturing and security aren't Reed's areas of expertise. There's a reason the FF doesn't carry magic guns with them everywhere. Reed doesn't make them, nor lasers.

And as I've said before, it's not as if Ra's can't spot portholes hiding lasers in the ceiling anyway or dodge the surveillance technology Luthor has to use to find him. Furthermore, knowing exactly where Luthor is heading towards, Ra's would be on top of Lex by the time he jacked the security system anyway.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Shut up, please, you're obviously ignoring everything but your own poorly thought-out opinions.

I am done with this discussion, because you are being dumb.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Were Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends in danger of being killed when they fought the Baxter Building's security system?

Yes.

If you buy Maximum Carnage, then you buy the idea that Reed Richards would install a security system that is incapable of distinguishing between hero and villain and also unable to distinguish between the enhanced physiology of Spider-Man and Captain America's mere peak physical conditioning and use appropriate force accordingly.

Instead, it's just something that shoots lasers and robots everywhere is a bizarre attempt to kill New York and America's greatest heroes.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    i don't know why it should distinguish between hero and villain. it should be designed to stop intruders, period. i don't want my friends breaking into my house, and i especially wouldn't if i lived in a world where it was routine for evil organizations to kidnap and brainwash my friends and get them to try to kill me

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    i don't know why it should distinguish between hero and villain. it should be designed to stop intruders, period. i don't want my friends breaking into my house, and i especially wouldn't if i lived in a world where it was routine for evil organizations to kidnap and brainwash my friends and get them to try to kill me

By the same token, it's just as likely for the Fantastic Four to be taken over and therefore require the intervention of outside heroes. There isn't a strong telepath among them, so it'd actually be easy for someone like Cassandra Nova.

And even though the heroes breaking in are unwanted, you sure as fuck would not want to kill them (or anyone, for that matter, heroes code and all).

It just doesn't make sense to me for them to use measures that are lethal to even a small percentage of people in the smallest percentage of scenarios (and require expertise in arms design that Reed just doesn't have) when other, completely non-lethal under any circumstances (though nonetheless effective, having been designed by Reed Richards) tools are readily available for use instead.

But then, it also doesn't make sense that Lex can hack into the Baxter Building so easily even though he'd have to do so without his own computer or hacking tools.

Nor does it make sense to me that a stealth expert like Ra's, who knows where Lex is going and can probably even get there before Lex gets there (Ra's could end up being teleported directly to the location while Lex is given a long walk, and at the same distance away Ra's would get there faster because he has an enhanced physiology) wouldn't be able to stop Lex before Lex can do any hacking at all.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    marvel doesn't stick quite as much to the 'hero's code' as dc does. a lot of major marvel characters have killed people. they don't like to, but sometimes it happens

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    marvel doesn't stick quite as much to the 'hero's code' as dc does. a lot of major marvel characters have killed people. they don't like to, but sometimes it happens
    Using murder as a last resort is different from programming your security system to kill and, at that, not even bothering to tell it not to kill your best friends.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    he DOES tell it though

it's an escalating system

you really HAVEN'T read anything spex wrote, have you?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    he DOES tell it though

it's an escalating system

you really HAVEN'T read anything spex wrote, have you?
    Spex suggested an escalating system, but I don't think anyone has proven that that system exists in the comics. I would think it would myself, though I would not expect it to ever escalate to the point where lethal force is shown (Reed is too smart to ever run out of ideas in regards to stopping intruders without murdering them).

In the case of Maximum Carnage, meanwhile, I don't recall there being an escalating system nor even an attempt on the part of the system to identify Spider-Man as friend or foe and, following that, use force appropriate for combating a frequent dinner guest.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    but that force wouldn't be appropriate, because he's breaking in

(i haven't read maximum carnage so i'm not sure what the exact specifics here are)

i mean, i wouldn't want to be gentle with wolverine when he's been brainwashed by hydra just because i hang out with him at avengers tower sometimes

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    but that force wouldn't be appropriate, because he's breaking in

(i haven't read maximum carnage so i'm not sure what the exact specifics here are)

i mean, i wouldn't want to be gentle with wolverine when he's been brainwashed by hydra just because i hang out with him at avengers tower sometimes

It's more likely to be Spider-Man than it is to be a brainwashed Wolverine.

In the case of Wolverine, though, lasers aren't going to stop him anyway so why even bother? Reed would be much better off going non-lethal by using high pitched sounds and knockout fumes that

a) Put down normal humans without killing them.

b) Would be even more effective against Wolverine due to his enhanced senses which have caused him to be brought down by sonic screams in the past.

And I'm not even a fucking comic book genius, now am I?

Lasers are the kind of shit you find in a goddamned army base or when the Fantastic Four or their building are written by the offensively unimaginative. Reed, meanwhile, is a goddamned genius who would recognize the potential for an improperly designed security system to kill and, beyond that, find a way to design a security system that is effective in every imaginable instance without ever having to resort to killing.

But then, even the best security system depends upon finding intruders. Ra's is good enough to skulk around without anyone even knowing he's there (he deduced Batman's identity and broke into the Batcave, right?), and that's assuming he doesn't get to wherever Lex is going before Lex can successfully take over the security system.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:

Well when you're the most advanced technological mind that they know and they are constantly in need of your help, it seems a bit foolish to design a security system to kill your friends.

At least with alarms in a house, you can tell the police "No I won't press charges. He's my dumbass friend."

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    On the flip side, the last time my buddy needed to borrow 10 bucks, he didn't fucking break-in at 3 in the freaking morning.

One would think that any superhero attempting to break into the Baxter Building would fully appreciate the risks they were taking.

I seriously do not understand how this discussion has gone on for this long.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sentry wrote:
    On the flip side, the last time my buddy needed to borrow 10 bucks, he didn't fucking break-in at 3 in the freaking morning.

One would think that any superhero attempting to break into the Baxter Building would fully appreciate the risks they were taking.

I seriously do not understand how this discussion has gone on for this long.

I KNOW RIGHT

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    And it's kind of a moot point too since Ra's is bound to lose with the way votes are going. Just chalk it up to nerds with nothing better to do.

But after having acted so mentally offensive that I literally drove Spectre away, I'm guessing it'll fizzle out shortly since he's the lifeblood of every debate thread.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    man, I am agreeing with Spectre here, so you have to know how wrong you are, robo.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    the fact is, reed has a SHITLOAD of dangerous technology laying around, and designs security to appropriately defend it. that security sometimes gets bypassed by people like wolverine (who has about a hundred years of combat and infiltration experience), but it doesn't make his security any less valid. i mean, hydra had to fucking kill wolverine and brainwash him to get access to reed's files

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    man, I am agreeing with Spectre here, so you have to know how wrong you are, robo.
    Agreeing that Lex would win or agreeing that the Baxter Building's security system was designed to steadily escalate in force to the point where it could kill somebody?

Because I'm a bit more flexible on the second point than on the first. Based on what I know of the characters and on comic book morality in general, I wouldn't expect the second to be true though it very well could be if proven true in more than one instance (Maximum Carnage being something I refuse to accept, because of other claims it makes).

In the case of the battle, though, I don't think there's any way Lex could be winning in the majority of scenarios due to Ra's having physical advantages and not requiring Lex's prep time. Both Ra's and Lex are racing to point B (where Lex needs to go and where Ra's knows Lex is going to go), and Ra's is just more physically fit.

The building's security systems don't even matter, as far as I'm concerned, but were rather a separate argument that I chose to participate in because I just don't think it's appropriate for superheroes to use lethal force (or what may constitute lethal force in some, but not all circumstances, unless of course they're there to determine appropriate force).

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    and lex has a gun

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    and lex has a gun
    Ra's would win a quick draw contest easily.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    whatever, you voted for ra's, i voted for lex

let's be done with this shit

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I fail to see why everyone is just focusing on the lasers arguement. Many other defenses have been named that Lex could use to stop Ras just as effectively. People just threw out "lasers" because it's a lot easier to say than "any part of Reed's multitude of defense mechanisms used to stop intruders from infilitrating the Baxter Building".

So, ok, let's go with some non-laser options. Lex puts up some forcefields around Ras, fills the entire area with immobilizing foam, lets Ra's smother to death. Lex puts up forcefield and uses the exhaust system (unless you want to argue there isn't a ventilation system) to suck the air out of the area and Ra's suffocates. Lex covers the entire area that Ra's is in with immobilizing foam, starting a good distance away from Ra's and working towards him so that it will be harder to avoid then Lex comes and shoots Ra's. Lex fills the area around Ra's with knock out gas and comes and shoots Ra's. I'm sure you guys can come up with more and more fun ways to do this.

Point is, the security system is on Lex's side, the security system is greater than Ra's. Lex doesn't fucking need lasers, any of those things will work on Ra's since he is just a human.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    And it's kind of a moot point too since Ra's is bound to lose with the way votes are going. Just chalk it up to nerds with nothing better to do.

But after having acted so mentally offensive that I literally drove Spectre away, I'm guessing it'll fizzle out shortly since he's the lifeblood of every debate thread.

I did not go away, I merely stopped debating you because you were being completely retarded.

Spectre-x on