Options

Pre Fight Debate Thread: Bracket 10

12346»

• Options
    NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Also, how the fuck does Ra's know where Lex needs to go? How do you know where Lex needs to go for that matter? Lex needs to go wherever there is a fucking computer. There are computers all over the building, he could be at any one of them. The time it would take for Ra's to check EVERY computer is more than the time it will take for Lex to figure out a way to make the security system work for him. The Baxter Building is rather large and I refuse to believe that any of these fights start with the combatants facing each other as that would make the majority of them rather boring and one-sided affairs. My guess is they are at least one floor seperated from each other.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I still don't know why 'full access' means 'needs to dodge laser robots'.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I fail to see why everyone is just focusing on the lasers arguement. Many other defenses have been named that Lex could use to stop Ras just as effectively. People just threw out "lasers" because it's a lot easier to say than "any part of Reed's multitude of defense mechanisms used to stop intruders from infilitrating the Baxter Building".

So, ok, let's go with some non-laser options. Lex puts up some forcefields around Ras, fills the entire area with immobilizing foam, lets Ra's smother to death. Lex puts up forcefield and uses the exhaust system (unless you want to argue there isn't a ventilation system) to suck the air out of the area and Ra's suffocates. Lex covers the entire area that Ra's is in with immobilizing foam, starting a good distance away from Ra's and working towards him so that it will be harder to avoid then Lex comes and shoots Ra's. Lex fills the area around Ra's with knock out gas and comes and shoots Ra's. I'm sure you guys can come up with more and more fun ways to do this.

Point is, the security system is on Lex's side, the security system is greater than Ra's. Lex doesn't fucking need lasers, any of those things will work on Ra's since he is just a human.

Ra's and Lex, after being deposited in random locations, look for maps and determine the best location for Lex to break into the security system. Ra's and Lex then make a mad dash to that location (Point B). Now, what happens is determined by where the two are deposited in the building. There are 3 basic possibilities.

1). Ra's has been dropped in closer to Point B than Lex was. Ra's shoots Lex while he attempts to break into the security system.

2). Lex is dropped in closer to Point B than Ra's was. Now, what happens depends on how much further away Ra's was deposited. If it was slightly further away, then Ra's sneaks in before Lex has a chance to make use of the security and a gun/sword fight ensues. Ra's wins because he's a better fighter.

If Ra's is too far, however, then he needs to make it past an advanced security system to get to Point B. Depending on just how good Ra's is at evasion and stealth, he may or may not make it into Point B to fight Lex man to man. Might as well give it to Lex, though.

3). Ra's and Lex are dropped into the building and happen to be the same distance from Point B. Ra's makes it there faster because he's in better physical condition, and Ra's manages to kill Lex before he makes it through the door.

So you see, Ra's wins in the majority of cases.

This is all, however, dependent upon you accepting that Ra's knows Lex well enough to know where Lex is headed. I think he would since Lex is both a well known figure and responsible for framing Bruce Wayne for murder on top of having a strong connection to Talia Al Ghul, but maybe you disagree that the strength of the Luthor/Al Ghul connection would motivate Ra's to investigate Luthor and become somewhat well-versed in Luthor's habits.
    So, how the fuck does Ra's know where Lex needs to go? How do you know where Lex needs to go for that matter? Lex needs to go wherever there is a fucking computer. There are computers all over the building, he could be at any one of them. The time it would take for Ra's to check EVERY computer is more than the time it will take for Lex to figure out a way to make the security system work for him. The Baxter Building is rather large and I refuse to believe that any of these fights start with the combatants facing each other as that would make the majority of them rather boring and one-sided affairs. My guess is they are at least one floor seperated from each other.

Good point, but it's been brought up that there aren't computers connected to the security system littered all over the place. Second of all, I'm sure that of the locations on a map of the Baxter Building from which the security system can be hacked there will be one that is clearly strategically superior to the rest. That'll be the one Lex heads too, because using one in the middle of a hallway that leaves your back open isn't going to cut it.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Point B is any of the terminals in the Baxter Building that are used for central communications and other functions.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Point B is any of the terminals in the Baxter Building that are used for central communications and other functions.

And that do not leave Lex open to attack from every side. Like I said, I imagine one will be better suited than the rest in terms of providing a defensive advantage.

Or maybe it'll be the one closest to what Lex assumes will be the armory, since you also stated that he'd take apart Reed's inventions and build a death ray from them. If you think Lex is going to do it, then Lex is going to do it. And if you think Lex is going to do it, Ra's would too.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't think R'as has the technical expertise that Lex has, and that is needed to build a "deathray" from the parts and items one would find in the Baxter building. He would be able to make some fun things from the chemicals sure, but that's in a different area entirely, and is also the location Ra's would be most likely to go to first.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I don't think R'as has the technical expertise that Lex has, and that is needed to build a "deathray" from the parts and items one would find in the Baxter building. He would be able to make some fun things from the chemicals sure, but that's in a different area entirely, and is also the location Ra's would be most likely to go to first.

You missed one of my points.

Ra's is going to Point B to kill Lex, not to build a Death Ray. He's trying to get to Point B at the same time as or before Lex gets there because he knows he can beat Lex in a one on one fight, but could lose if Lex spends enough time at Point B to hack the security system and construct armor and a Death Ray. So long as Ra's gets there before Lex does (2 out of 3 scenarios), he'll win. If he doesn't (1 out of 3 scenarios), there's a slim chance he'll win if he can get past the security system by evading the cameras Lex must look through in order to find where Ra's is (Ra's would naturally evade security cameras since that's just what he does) and subsequently attack him.

Stopping at the chem lab would put Ra's at a disadvantage, so he won't do it.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    Furu wrote:
    Malkor wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Did I read this right? Did someone actually suggest you could hack into the building's security system through a tourist kiosk?

If Reed makes it, you could probably hack NORAD.

Yeah, to be fair the kiosk would probably be more powerful than it needs to be because that's just the way Reed is. Besides, at the very least it has to give out information for regular people to get safely when Kang or Super-Skrull show up which means it has to be connected to some security information.

Why would Reed build the tourist kiosks?

Because he's freaking Reed Richards? The idea of someone else programming computers on his property would bug him to no end.

So I guess Reed designed everything in the building then? Maybe even atomic-powered ovens for the kitchens and closets with shrink rays installed so he can claim they're all "walk-in"? I would think even Reed would have better things to do with his time than program what is essentially an electronic brochure. And even if he did, if getting into the mainframe was as easy as hacking the fucking computer in the lobby, why bother with all the defenses in the main labs? The security is compromised already.

he's reed richards

he is exactly the kind of person who would build seven and a half pocket sized space fighters and then accidentally leave them in the lobby when he thinks of a better way to scrub graffiti off ben's back, and then twenty minutes later he might not even remember he invented the space fighters
    I'll accept that the initial design might work that way, but then one of their countless enemies would exploit the mindbogglingly stupid vulnerability of letting tourists access computers connected to the security system and Sue would bitch out Reed until he fixed it. If the system actually worked in the way you suggested, the entire team would be long dead.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The next fight should be who's super-hero base would be hardest to infiltrate.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    plus, i don't know what's supposed to be so hard about breaking into the batcave. a 12 year old kid did it for god's sakes. bruce's security seems to be limited to hoping nobody looks in his basement.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    plus, i don't know what's supposed to be so hard about breaking into the batcave. a 12 year old kid did it for god's sakes. bruce's security seems to be limited to hoping nobody looks in his basement.

Heh. Remember "Tower of Babel"? All you have to do to infiltrate the freaking JLA Watchtower without setting off alarms is have a long hair, gold braclets, and a Wonder Woman sized rack.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG