Options

Rocky Balboa

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    White working class man uses nothing but heart and reclaims American sports from all teh darkies and their damn genetic superiority.

Yar on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    deowolf wrote:

There was no Rocky V. Rocky beat communism and retired. That's it. Move along.

Rocky V didn't happen. It was never a movie. Also, there is no Highlander 2, X-men 3, or Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

And i'll kill anyone of you assholes who thinks otherwise.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    3lwap0 wrote:
    deowolf wrote:

Rocky V didn't happen. It was never a movie. Also, there is no Highlander 2, X-men 3, or Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier was bad but not that bad.

Row, row, row your boat,
    Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
    Life is but a dream.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    3lwap0 wrote:
    deowolf wrote:

There is also no Die Hard 2. Spread the word.

And no, LondonBridge, Star Trek V is the definition of "that bad."

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    3lwap0 wrote:
    deowolf wrote:

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier was bad but not that bad.

Row, row, row your boat,
    Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
    Life is but a dream.
    Yeah... the interplay between Spock, Kirk and McCoy was the one saving grace for that movie.

Edit: no, that would be Nemesis.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yar wrote:
    I remember the ads for Foreman's last fight. It showed him jogging around in sweats like Rocky, but instead of people joining in to jog with him, they were handing him hot dogs and cotton candy and stuff. Funny.

Also, after he won, he just kept saying "buy my grill, buy my grill." Classic.

I would totally watch a Rocky 6 where Stallone comes back all fat and bald.

Especially if the character had 8 kids and named them all Rocky.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    no you guys, don't you remember your Rocky math?

Rocky II + Rocky V = Rocky VII: Adrian's Revenge

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    i don't really understand what you're trying to say here ragg
    About the race stuff? Well, I don't pull out the race card often, but for a poor black inner city kid in the 80s watching Rocky fight Creed (and despite being young realizing that Creed was based on Ali, even if I didn't know who Chuck Wepner was) and beating him definitely had some racial implications to it. They became even more apparent as I grew up.

Now remember, I've never seen Rocky. Just Rocky 2 for the most part, and parts of the other ones.

(If anyone wants to discuss it further, let's take it to PM. I'm don't want to derail the thread.)

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Raggaholic wrote:
    About the race stuff? Well, I don't pull out the race card often, but for a poor black inner city kid in the 80s watching Rocky fight Creed (and despite being young realizing that Creed was based on Ali, even if I didn't know who Chuck Wepner was) and beating him definitely had some racial implications to it. They became even more apparent as I grew up.

Now remember, I've never seen Rocky. Just Rocky 2 for the most part, and parts of the other ones.

(If anyone wants to discuss it further, let's take it to PM. I'm don't want to derail the thread.)

no, i just couldn't really make sense of your post.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2006
    Raggaholic wrote:
    Was Rocky V the one with him fighting some guy named Tommy "Machine" Gunn or something like that?

I was never a big fan of the Rocky movies, and I never understood why people did like them when I saw part of that one.

If your name is "Tommy Gunn" you don't need no stinkin nickname.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    chickenmaniachickenmania Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    Raggaholic wrote:
    Was Rocky V the one with him fighting some guy named Tommy "Machine" Gunn or something like that?

I was never a big fan of the Rocky movies, and I never understood why people did like them when I saw part of that one.

If your name is "Tommy Gunn" you don't need no stinkin nickname.

You do if you're as big a pussy as Tommy Gunn was in that movie.

I didn't know about that George Foreman fight (don't know too much about boxing) - that's pretty great. Suppose I shouldn't ever underestimate the will power of guys that make a living out of getting the crap beaten out of them every once in a while.

This is pretty interesting - according to wiki, Stallone had originally written the first Rocky so that Rocky would throw his fight against Apollo Creed after realizing he didn't want to be part of the boxing world. Weird.

Finally, Space Balls is cool, good idea to "disappear" Rocky V, just say no to communism.

chickenmania on
    Nerds.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2006
    I never saw any racial implications in Rocky. I mean, for a start, Rocky loses. Second, Rocky only beats Mr T because Apollo trains him. I mean, sure, Apollo ends up getting killed by an Aryan poster boy, but the white dude was clearly the dick. I guess if you don't want people to be offended no black person can ever be beaten by any white person at anything ever. The black guy can't win either, or it's too pc. The film should have ended with them both realising that violence is never the answer.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    The film should have ended with them both realising that violence is never the answer.

I should kill you for saying that.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Rocky in Smithsonian

"These objects could not be better in conveying the interplay of sports and entertainment in American film history, but more specifically they could not better convey the importance of Sylvester Stallone to the film industry," said Dwight Bowers, a curator at the National Museum of American History.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Raggaholic wrote:

While I do accept the race card being thrown for the time Rocky came out, one must admit that it no longer holds any validity in todays heavyweight boxing scene. Unless you throw the ethnicity card in place of the race card. :wink:

Everybody stop bashing Rocky V, I can name two good things that came from that movie; Measure of a Man and the theme that played during the street fight. (Which will hopefully be on the "Best of Rocky" CD )

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I did not have any hope for this movie. But those interviews really helped. I might go see it now.

Also all those guys who were all "Mel Brooks sux teh cok" are dead to me.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Raggaholic wrote:

[realspoiler:73e4da5cb5]Creed beats Rocky in the first one. II was sort of a comeback story.[/realspoiler:73e4da5cb5]

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Raggaholic wrote:

[realspoiler:4311ecf040]Creed beats Rocky in the first one. II was sort of a comeback story.[/realspoiler:4311ecf040]

[spoiler:4311ecf040] I thought it was a draw in the first? [/spoiler:4311ecf040]

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Heir wrote:
    Raggaholic wrote:

[realspoiler:4fc8d56ac1]Creed beats Rocky in the first one. II was sort of a comeback story.[/realspoiler:4fc8d56ac1]

[spoiler:4fc8d56ac1] I thought it was a draw in the first? [/spoiler:4fc8d56ac1]
    [spoiler:4fc8d56ac1]Nope, but it was some sort of a moral victory because he lasted all 12 rounds (or 15, or however many there are) when everyone expected him to get knocked out almost immediately.[/spoiler:4fc8d56ac1]
    Also, why are we using spoilers?

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    I have no nostalgia attached to the Rocky franchise so I probably won't watch this any time soon.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    [spoiler:e8c8ab2bd2]Nope, but it was some sort of a moral victory because he lasted all 12 rounds (or 15, or however many there are) when everyone expected him to get knocked out almost immediately.[/spoiler:e8c8ab2bd2]
    Also, why are we using spoilers?
    [realspoiler:e8c8ab2bd2]To clarify, Rocky lost in the first one by decision. It was a loss, but he went the distance...which was his only goal. So for him, it was a victory.[/realspoiler:e8c8ab2bd2]

And we're using spoilers because at least one person in this thread has stated they have not seen the first one, and expressed interest in seeing it.
    Dynagrip wrote:
    I have no nostalgia attached to the Rocky franchise so I probably won't watch this any time soon.

You fail at America.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    mcdermott wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

You fail at America.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    mcdermott wrote:
    And we're using spoilers because at least one person in this thread has stated they have not seen the first one, and expressed interest in seeing it.
    If that person is me, you all don't have to use the spoilers (though I appreciate it). I know how the first one ends.

Growing up, I saw the end of two and thought it was the end of one. I only knew bits and pieces of the movies, and I'm still a little unsure what happened in what (for instance, until this thread, I thought Drago was in part 3, was sure what part of 2 Mr T was in, and am still unsure if Mr. T and Hogan are in the same one).

I do, however, know that Mr T plays Clubber Lang. I also know that he did not have to call Miss Sylvia to get a prediction. He made it himself, and it was pain.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Raggaholic wrote:
    If that person is me, you all don't have to use the spoilers (though I appreciate it). I know how the first one ends.

Yeah, I figure better safe than sorry. Also, we generally use spoiler tags unless the thread title has a spoiler warning, which this one doesn't. Doesn't matter if it's freakin' Star Wars, and everybody on the planet has seen it, we're supposed to use them.

And this whole thing, combined with seeing multiple commercials for the new two-disc edition of Rocky, puts me in the mood for a serious Balboathon. I may have to watch all four of the movies in a row this weekend.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited December 2006
    3lwap0 wrote:
    I’m actually thinking of making RAMBO IV a musical, and for the big finale every evening he blows up the entire audience.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I remember watching an interview over a decade ago or so, when Stallone did a terrible movie like Oscar or some such, and the interviewer asked him how he felt about the poor movie sales.

Stallone said that he was working on getting his acting prowess into other genres, and away from the typecasting that he's been stuck in for so long (and the legendary friendly rivalry going on between him and Schwartzenegger), and he was basically broadening his horizons, and was trying to be a different type of leading man. The poor ticket sales was becasue the general populace was confused about Stallone not being in an action film.

Near the end of the interview, the interviewer asked him if there'd ever be another Rocky movie.

Stallone said no, that part of his career was over, but if his career started to tank, or he was broke, all it would take to get him "to strap on the gloves or the bandanna" was a big payday.

This is kinda what I'm seeing with this movie. I'm also hearing rumors of a Rambo movie, so I'm assuming Stallone's just wanting some quick cash.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Near the end of the interview, the interviewer asked him if there'd ever be another Rocky movie.

Stallone said no, that part of his career was over, but if his career started to tank, or he was broke, all it would take to get him "to strap on the gloves or the bandanna" was a big payday.

This is kinda what I'm seeing with this movie. I'm also hearing rumors of a Rambo movie, so I'm assuming Stallone's just wanting some quick cash.

It's possible. On the other hand, I can actually buy not wanting the series to end with The Rocky Movie Which Shall Not Be Named. And this one really doesn't look so bad, at least by Rocky movie standards.

Another Rambo movie....fuck, I dunno. I can't imagine that being any good whatsoever.

EDIT: I also fail to see how any big-name actor could ever be broke, considering they generally make more for one movie than I'll make in a lifetime...often many times more. But that's just me. Unless "broke" for them means having to buy used Ferraris. And not even classic ones.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MrBigmusclesMrBigmuscles Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

I liked Rocky V AND Spaceballs.

:cry:

MrBigmuscles on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    mcdermott wrote:

It's possible. On the other hand, I can actually buy not wanting the series to end with The Rocky Movie Which Shall Not Be Named. And this one really doesn't look so bad, at least by Rocky movie standards.

Another Rambo movie....fuck, I dunno. I can't imagine that being any good whatsoever.

EDIT: I also fail to see how any big-name actor could ever be broke, considering they generally make more for one movie than I'll make in a lifetime...often many times more. But that's just me. Unless "broke" for them means having to buy used Ferraris. And not even classic ones.
    It's pretty easy to lose all your money if you're used to having a huge income which then gets progressively smaller.

It happened to Rocky.

Snork on
  • Options
    WylderWylder Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This thread has brought it to my attention that I have only seen rocky 1,2&4. Perhaps I should remedy this.

By watching 3.... obviously I'm not talking about 5 here.

Wylder on
    No sig for you!
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Rocky Balboa has had some really good reviews. You may not believe this but in Empire magazine they said that Stallone will be in the Oscar line-ups for next year!!! :shock:

When's rocky going to go find the WMD's? :lol:

Johannen on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Johannen wrote:
    Rocky Balboa has had some really good reviews. You may not believe this but in Empire magazine they said that Stallone will be in the Oscar line-ups for next year!!! :shock:

"But Rocky, you can't fight the Martians! There's no air on Mars!"

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Dominic DragonDominic Dragon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I really want to see this movie. I've always liked the stories where an old and retired champion comes out of retirement, even though they're really, really old, like in Return of the Dark Knight. I wish more movies and games would have stories like these because they fascinate me for some reason.

Dominic Dragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    mcdermott wrote:
    Two words. Mike Tyson.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'll echo some of the sentiment here, I wasn't really looking forward to the movie but after reading those questions and how sly answered them, I'm actually interested in it now.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I really want to see this movie. I've always liked the stories where an old and retired champion comes out of retirement, even though they're really, really old, like in The Dark Knight Returns. I wish more movies and games would have stories like these because they fascinate me for some reason.
    Fixed and I agree.
    I had this crazy idea when I read DKR. I want to see them make a movie about it (in the vein of Sin City) only Clint Eastwood plays Bruce Wayne. I know I'm nuts but I like that idea.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Johannen wrote:

"But Rocky, you can't fight the Martians! There's no air on Mars!"

"Nothing is over, just gimme somethin' to drink!....gulp, gulp, gulp....That's Brisk, baby!"

God, someone shoot me, please.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I really want to see this movie. I've always liked the stories where an old and retired champion comes out of retirement, even though they're really, really old, like in The Dark Knight Returns. I wish more movies and games would have stories like these because they fascinate me for some reason.
    Fixed and I agree.
    I had this crazy idea when I read DKR. I want to see them make a movie about it (in the vein of Sin City) only Clint Eastwood plays Bruce Wayne. I know I'm nuts but I like that idea.

This would be mankind's greatest achievement.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    mcdermott wrote:
    I wonder if the fight between Apollo Creed and Ivan Drago, with the huge flashy intro and what not, was intended to be a statement on how America's hubris could very well lead to our end. I mean, it's otherwise a "rah rah go America" flick, but that part always struck me as having a deeper message.

Then again, maybe I just see it that way because I hate our freedom.

Late to the party, but I agree as well. Growing up in Ireland during the economically depressed 80's, Creed's entrance was just... "Wtf are they doing here?" It just seemed so over the top and resolutely American. Everyone smiling and enjoying themselves as James Brown rises onto a stage bursting with the colours of the flag... even at the tender age of thirteen, I saw it as ridiculous and arrogant, the "pride before a fall" arc, especially with Creed's grinning confidence. When you knew what would happen.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    9. Sly:

No bigger fan here, and I am curious. What was your max on the bench press, squat, etc.? Back in the late 1980s-early-1990s you appeared to look the biggest/most massive.
    I used to be able to bench press around 385-400 lbs. and then I severely tore my right pectoral so under my arm I have 160 stitches and I had to have a window cut into my shoulder bone, and cable laced through the damage, and muscle pulled back to the bone where it was attached. That’s why I’m so vascular on one side. It might be interesting to note that I received this injury, I was stupid enough to get into a bench press contest with former Mr. Universe, Franco Columbo, who was considered one of the strongest men in the world. The accident happened in his garage, which was inhabited, believe it or not, by this demented-looking one-winged spotted owl. I couldn’t make this up. When my muscle exploded, I fell onto the floor. Franco pulled the weights off of me and all I could see was my arm turning black and that friggin goofy, one-winged, mouse-munching motherfucker flapping around in tight circles. By the way, my best squat was 550 lbs.

This caused me to laugh.

Also, if you guys haven't read Interview #6, you're missing out. Pretty damn funny stuff.

3lwap0 on