Options

Rocky Balboa

124»

Posts

  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sceptre wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:
    vrempire wrote:
    wow! there are quite a number of good review on Rocky Balboa.
    I still trying to figure out how Sylvester will play this part in his late 50.
    do they use CGI in this film? hope his body still fit enough.
    All the best to Stallone in his career.
    It's 100% Stallone. The guy's a fucking machine.

    It's pretty evident how much work he put into training his body for the movie. He's still built like a tank.

    He's recovered quite a bit. one of the reasons he stopped doing action movies was he severely tore one of his pectorals a few years back.

    nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sceptre wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:
    vrempire wrote:
    wow! there are quite a number of good review on Rocky Balboa.
    I still trying to figure out how Sylvester will play this part in his late 50.
    do they use CGI in this film? hope his body still fit enough.
    All the best to Stallone in his career.
    It's 100% Stallone. The guy's a fucking machine.

    It's pretty evident how much work he put into training his body for the movie. He's still built like a tank.

    He's recovered quite a bit. one of the reasons he stopped doing action movies was he severely tore one of his pectorals a few years back.

    I didn't know that. I wondered why he disappeared from the movie scenes.

    These opinions just make me want to see it more. I love Rocky films. I believe I shall corral my cousins and force them to see it with me. They likely don't even know who Rocky is or, worse, might only remember V. A re-education is in order I think...

    Underdog on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sceptre wrote:
    [spoiler:551497b8e4] Was anyone else disappointed by the lack of some Eye of The Tiger? I really was expecting them to whip it out, seeing as it's probably the most widely known Rocky tune, other than the theme. [/spoiler:551497b8e4]
    Seriously. What the fuck, man?

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Who plays his son?

    Shinto on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Also, I hated the other boxer's name. Mason "The Line" Dixon? Fucking retarded.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Also, I hated the other boxer's name. Mason "The Line" Dixon? Fucking retarded.

    I thought it was Mason "The Lion" Dixon, which is marginally less stupid.

    Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Also, I hated the other boxer's name. Mason "The Line" Dixon? Fucking retarded.

    I thought it was Mason "The Lion" Dixon, which is marginally less stupid.

    But it doesn't make sense.

    YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    YodaTuna wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Also, I hated the other boxer's name. Mason "The Line" Dixon? Fucking retarded.

    I thought it was Mason "The Lion" Dixon, which is marginally less stupid.

    But it doesn't make sense.

    Vaguely. A lion is powerful and dangerous, much like a heavyweight champion.

    However, a line is nothing like a boxer. Perhaps they are referring to him as a line which you will not cross, because past that line is the title belt, and he is standing on the line, punching you.

    They're both weak, but at least people have been named after animals before.

    Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    WillyGilliganWillyGilligan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    YodaTuna wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Also, I hated the other boxer's name. Mason "The Line" Dixon? Fucking retarded.

    I thought it was Mason "The Lion" Dixon, which is marginally less stupid.

    But it doesn't make sense.

    Vaguely. A lion is powerful and dangerous, much like a heavyweight champion.

    However, a line is nothing like a boxer. Perhaps they are referring to him as a line which you will not cross, because past that line is the title belt, and he is standing on the line, punching you.

    They're both weak, but at least people have been named after animals before.

    You've seriously never heard of the Mason-Dixon Line?

    It's sort of weird to me that it's a black guy using the name, but it might be one of those things that's working on a level I'm not processing. Or something.

    WillyGilligan on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    YodaTuna wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Also, I hated the other boxer's name. Mason "The Line" Dixon? Fucking retarded.

    I thought it was Mason "The Lion" Dixon, which is marginally less stupid.

    But it doesn't make sense.

    Vaguely. A lion is powerful and dangerous, much like a heavyweight champion.

    However, a line is nothing like a boxer. Perhaps they are referring to him as a line which you will not cross, because past that line is the title belt, and he is standing on the line, punching you.

    They're both weak, but at least people have been named after animals before.

    You've seriously never heard of the Mason-Dixon Line?

    It's sort of weird to me that it's a black guy using the name, but it might be one of those things that's working on a level I'm not processing. Or something.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason-Dixon

    It all makes so much sense now. *slaps forehead*

    gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ...how does it make sense?

    Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    gundam470 wrote:
    YodaTuna wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Also, I hated the other boxer's name. Mason "The Line" Dixon? Fucking retarded.
    I thought it was Mason "The Lion" Dixon, which is marginally less stupid.
    But it doesn't make sense.
    Vaguely. A lion is powerful and dangerous, much like a heavyweight champion.

    However, a line is nothing like a boxer. Perhaps they are referring to him as a line which you will not cross, because past that line is the title belt, and he is standing on the line, punching you.

    They're both weak, but at least people have been named after animals before.
    You've seriously never heard of the Mason-Dixon Line?

    It's sort of weird to me that it's a black guy using the name, but it might be one of those things that's working on a level I'm not processing. Or something.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason-Dixon

    It all makes so much sense now. *slaps forehead*
    :lol:

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    ...how does it make sense?
    His nickname being "The Line" makes sense, provided you've heard of the Mason-Dixon Line; it's just fucking stupid.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    oh

    so his name is

    Mason Dixon?




    that's hella lame

    Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    oh

    so his name is

    Mason Dixon?




    that's hella lame
    You're pretty quick on the pickup, there. :P

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I haven't seen the whole movie

    I had assumed that "Mason the Line Dixon" was his entire nickname, and that he had another, real world name.

    Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    Who plays his son?
    Peterpetrelli.jpg

    Peter Petrelli from Heros, or for his real name, Milo Ventimiglia.

    So anyway, last night I caught the 7 PM showing of this. Got to the theater around 6:30 PM, so it was a lot of fun watching previews and trivia questions (well, not really.)

    Once it got to the movie, I was pumped, mainly because I really liked the previous Rocky movies (mainly IV.) The thing that struck me really quick is how much the movie is like Rocky 5. Also, didn't Rocky get knocked real fucking hard in Rocky IV and in Rocky V ended up having some brain condition that would kill him if any more severe trauma would occur around his head?

    Anyway, even though it played out much like Rocky 5 with Rocky walking around for 90% of the movie and the other 10% being a fight (or, rather, 5% training and 5% fighting,) it plays out so much better than Rocky 5 ever did, and it doesn't have that fucking Tommy Gunn character, but damn Stallone is looking old. I don't think I will catch the next Rambo movie, because he will probably have wrinkles, but i'm not sure how hardcore you can go with plastic surgery.

    Sanius on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Animelee wrote:
    During the last week, I watched all the Rocky movies for the first time, and saw Rocky VI earlier today.

    I'm just gonna say that the first three movies were flawless, and I loved all of them.

    IV was okay too, but that damn robot kind of ruined it for me, and took away from the realism. Okay, I know there's most likely no way someone could punch with the strength of over 2000 pounds per square inch (was it that?), but that damn robot looks like it was stuck in there by movie executives in order to get the interest of younger kids, as well as sell toys, or something. But the rest of the movie was just awesome.

    Rocky V was okay too. I didn't like how he lost everything, though. He worked his ass off, and then everything was lost in a flash. No justice for against the accountant at the end, nothing. And although that street fight with Gunn at the end was satisfying, it was just cheesy with the crowd and everything like that. Not to mention Rocky's brain condition and all. It wasn't as bad as people make it out to be, but it was pretty unsatisfying all around.

    Rocky VI was just awesome, and if I could, I would delete the robot from IV, delete V all together, and have Balboa come after IV. Rocky Balboa definitely fits in with the first three movies, definitely. Just perfect. I'm satisfied, but I want more Rocky... I'm sure Stallone will make another one in ten years, I'm sure of it... Well, I'm hoping.

    It's not unusual for a boxer to hit with 1000 pounds of force. It would be remarkable for someone to to double that, but I would say it's possible

    JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sanius wrote:
    Once it got to the movie, I was pumped, mainly because I really liked the previous Rocky movies (mainly IV.) The thing that struck me really quick is how much the movie is like Rocky 5. Also, didn't Rocky get knocked real fucking hard in Rocky IV and in Rocky V ended up having some brain condition that would kill him if any more severe trauma would occur around his head?

    Anyway, even though it played out much like Rocky 5 with Rocky walking around for 90% of the movie and the other 10% being a fight (or, rather, 5% training and 5% fighting,) it plays out so much better than Rocky 5 ever did, and it doesn't have that fucking Tommy Gunn character, but damn Stallone is looking old. I don't think I will catch the next Rambo movie, because he will probably have wrinkles, but i'm not sure how hardcore you can go with plastic surgery.

    Come on, don't compare it to 5. It's much much better than that. I'd say the pacing is more like the original Rocky.

    YodaTuna on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, this movie is great. It feels like it could have come directly after Rocky II if not for a few continuity errors. It barely mentions Mr. T or Ivan Drago.

    Great movie. Finally, a movie that returned to the style Rocky I and II set. From Rocky III onward, the movies took a drastically different tone, with rocky being this big hero guy who could speak well. Rocky I and II were all about how rocky wasn't that. He was an underdog. He wasn't the guy selling Delorians. He wasn't the guy who represented the USA. He was a fuckup, who nobody gave a chance in everything he did.

    Rocky VI feels a lot like Rocky I and II. Great movie.

    TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    AnimeleeAnimelee Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    OMG, an answer to why there was that damn robot in Rocky IV!

    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31002

    6. Dear Sly,

    I'm shocked no one has brought this up. Big fan of your flicks, but there's one character in Rocky IV that makes one eternally go "Huh?" (but in kind of an awesome way). That character is, of course Sico the Robot. How did Sico come about?

    M. Boyle,
    Stillwater, OK

    I saw this ridiculous robot at a party and was charmed by its mechanical manners. I thought, “Wow, I’d love to share this with the world.” And like a man obsessed with a new toy, I did. In retrospect, it’s also a candidate for the Morons Hall of Fame. What was I thinking? A talking dishwasher, a sexy trash compactor, maybe even a wise toaster… but an oversexed robot? Xanax, please.

    Maybe now I can take Rocky IV a little more seriously.

    Animelee on
    universeah3.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 4081 1995 6825 (If you add me, let me know! :D)
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Saw the film this weekend and it was fun. Great way to end a series. I have way more respect for Sylvester Stallone than most folk in Hollywood now. He made a film they way he wanted without Hollywood execs ruining it. He is up there with Peter Jackson IMHO.

    LondonBridge on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Animelee wrote:
    OMG, an answer to why there was that damn robot in Rocky IV!

    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31002

    6. Dear Sly,

    I'm shocked no one has brought this up. Big fan of your flicks, but there's one character in Rocky IV that makes one eternally go "Huh?" (but in kind of an awesome way). That character is, of course Sico the Robot. How did Sico come about?

    M. Boyle,
    Stillwater, OK

    I saw this ridiculous robot at a party and was charmed by its mechanical manners. I thought, “Wow, I’d love to share this with the world.” And like a man obsessed with a new toy, I did. In retrospect, it’s also a candidate for the Morons Hall of Fame. What was I thinking? A talking dishwasher, a sexy trash compactor, maybe even a wise toaster… but an oversexed robot? Xanax, please.

    Maybe now I can take Rocky IV a little more seriously.
    Holy crap how many rounds of questions are they doing?

    bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
Sign In or Register to comment.