As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm wanting to learn how to play the piano

2»

• Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    He wants to learn how to play some tunes. It's perfectly possible without lessons.
    he also says he wants to learn notation and theory. that's possible without lessons but not "perfectly"

Sam on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sam wrote: »
    He wants to learn how to play some tunes. It's perfectly possible without lessons.
    he also says he wants to learn notation and theory. that's possible without lessons but not "perfectly"

I, uh, think this would be the easiest part for him to learn on his own. Even pick up and play instruments will use notation and theory. You can learn it from the Internet, and there's not really a wrong way to learn it that will screw up your cerebral cortex or anything. If you did get something wrong, it wouldn't be difficult to unlearn.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Jesus christ, you people sometimes.

I want to learn how to fly an airplane, I mean, I don't need anything big, I don't feel like doing loops and tricks, I just care about flying a little bit under a bridge, can I learn with teh internetz?

There are many advantages to having a teacher. One of the most important besides the obvious, is that most will have little recitals at the end of a teaching circle. Those are great, since they give a deadline so you focus your training instead of just learning whatever (which happened to me during my first years of self-though drumming). Some teachers may charge a fee for the right to play in those recitals, believe me, it's worth it

But you also get to improve your public skills: playing in front of a crowd, even if they are friends and family for the first time is a tough experience and I bet that even if you nail a piece on the comfyness of your home, playing in a Grand Piano in front of everybody is sure to make a dent into your performance. You don't get that by playing just at home.

You also get to know other like-minded people, most of them beginners like you and start making acquaintances and sharing experiences.

Theory is the easiest part. But there is just so much of it, that if you try to learn it all in one go, it's going to explode your head. I once tried to help a self-thought bass-player friend all in one go as a form of punishment, even though he is an engineer and can get his way around numbers, once we hit 7th half diminished chords he just stopped breathing. I decided to call it quits hehehehe

hectorse on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think this is getting a little bit ridiculous.

Guy wants to learn piano. He doesn't want to be some piano prodigy.

"YOU'RE FINGERS WILL FALL OFF WITH IMPROPER TECHNIQUE"
    "YOU'LL HAVE NO EMOTION AND BE USELESS LIKE AN ASIAN"
    "YOU'LL NEVER AMOUNT TO ANYTHIIIIIING"

Calm the fuck down.

Right, he just wants to learn the basics of the instrument, I assume correctly.

So he should take lessons.

Because if you don't take lessons you'll learn the instrument wrong. Is this really so hard to comprehend? Is it such an alien idea that someone who has devoted their entire life to learning an instrument and many years to teaching has some special insight in to how to play and teach the instrument that your average joe doesn't?

Khavall on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yes. Learning the piano is like flying an airplane.

I didn't say lessons wouldn't be beneficial, I just said you were over reacting. Which you just again demonstrated a perfect example of.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Of course not.

Flying an airplane is worlds easier, it's barely even comparable.

Khavall on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just an update, I'll be contacting someone to teach me to play the piano after I buy a new apartment. Which will hopefully (fingers crossed) be sometime in June. That's the reason why I was reticent about paying for lessons, I'm saving up for a deposit on a mortgage which I've now pretty much got enough for.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Awesome, good luck :)

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Just an update, I'll be contacting someone to teach me to play the piano after I buy a new apartment. Which will hopefully (fingers crossed) be sometime in June. That's the reason why I was reticent about paying for lessons, I'm saving up for a deposit on a mortgage which I've now pretty much got enough for.

Nice, I am also taking classes soon! It's awesome learning stuff again

hectorse on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    hectorse wrote: »
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Nice, I am also taking classes soon! It's awesome learning stuff again

I can't wait to laugh behind teachers back and leave pins on her seat! :D

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Of course not.

I'm sigging this.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Immortalised. Yes.

Never get tired of pretentious musicians.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    theconductor221theconductor221 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey,
    I have been playing Piano since roughly the 3rd grade, but it has been off and on and somewhat sketchy for a long time, I got serious my sophomore year of high school. So I would say about 5 years total of actual playing here. That being said, you have to practice, A LOT. You must take lessons, to form correct habits. That being said, it will be slow going for the first six months, just because your hands aren't used to doing two complicated things at once. I practice about a hour a day, sometimes more, just going over old songs I have learned to keep my fingers fresh. It will take a while to get your hands used to it, but it is a very pretty instrument to have under your belt, but it isn't very forgiving, if you screw up, everyone can hear it. You can do it, its just gonna be a uphill battle for a long time. Also, learn your chords, your basic Majors and Minors, Augmented and Diminished chords can be learned later. Know how to read notes etc, I'm horrible and keeping time by reading it off the sheet, but I have a very strong ear for rhythm and tempo thanks to playing drums. Just remember that when practicing, take it VERY SLOW with both hands, and then put them together. I know I'm rambling, but, you can do it.
    Enjoy the Piano.

theconductor221 on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vater5B wrote: »
    Of course not.

I'm sigging this.

honestly? it's true

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Vater5B wrote: »
    Of course not.

I'm sigging this.

honestly? it's true

It is true

hectorse on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It is true, and that's why I was sigging it. It was a great response.

I can play four mallet vibraphone and marimba pretty well, and put out what I think are some fairly complex four-limb independent beats on drum set, but playing any piano music with 4+ voices is a huge struggle for me even with years of practice.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

But you also get to improve your public skills: playing in front of a crowd, even if they are friends and family for the first time is a tough experience and I bet that even if you nail a piece on the comfyness of your home, playing in a Grand Piano in front of everybody is sure to make a dent into your performance. You don't get that by playing just at home.
    The trueness of this is astounding.

Anecdote: I started taking piano lessons in Kindergarten. I was pretty good for a kid my age. I picked up music quickly, could memorize well and learned to read music (at least you know, simple one or two line grade school stuff) well. But I never applied myself. I spent way too much time playing video games or reading. I went to an Arts magnet in middle school and highschool and basically coasted. I'm sure I frustrated my high-school teacher. She loved the heck out of me, personality-wise. But as a student I was terrible, and I'm sure she couldn't figure out why my sister was so awesome and I was so lazy. Finally, my senior year, after 3 years of playing dinky ass pieces, I decided to buckle down and play something good my senior year. I was sick of having people several classes below playing pieces much better than mine. (Advantage/drawback of going to an arts magnet, is you get to meet some awesome musicians. Most of whom are awesomer than you(well, me) )

So I took it upon myself to play Brahms' Rhapsody #2 for our recital as a big going out. It's one of my favorite piano pieces, and I studied the hell out of it. She was so proud. My parents were proud. I was proud. I learned it. Could play it note for note. Could listen to a recording from the internet and tell when they left a note out of a chord (doubly impressive since I've always been pretty bad at ear training and playing by ear). What I'm saying is that in one semester I did my damndest to make up for 7.5 years of being worthless.

Then I fucking bombed the recital because even after 12 years of being in recitals I still suffer from crippling stage fright. I barely made it through the piece and was nearly in tears by the time I sat down. My only the consolation was the people who I really cared about hearing it done well, had already heard it in rehearsal.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The trueness of this is astounding.

Anecdote: I started taking piano lessons in Kindergarten. I was pretty good for a kid my age. I picked up music quickly, could memorize well and learned to read music (at least you know, simple one or two line grade school stuff) well. But I never applied myself.

Sucks huh? I know, I made that mistake
    Then I fucking bombed the recital because even after 12 years of being in recitals I still suffer from crippling stage fright. I barely made it through the piece and was nearly in tears by the time I sat down. My only the consolation was the people who I really cared about hearing it done well, had already heard it in rehearsal.

I, otherwise was constantly put on the limelight just shortly after 3 months of playing. I don't remember ever having play anxiety. I would be tense and nervous because I didn't have enough practice but otherwise I feel right at home in a stage

hectorse on