As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm bringing sexy [CHAT]

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I hate to say it, but we're still using a sample of one.

How many other people has this really happened to?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Glee, contact person I'm working with at company just called me and told me she was looking to see what other projects could use me after the one I'm working on is done! :D

I like it when other people who know my work talk me up to other people, because then I feel like less of a fraud! :o

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    i've got a new job. hotel clerk. 9pm to 5 am. 40 hours a week but at minimum fucking wage. bittersweet.

I told myself once I'd never work a minimum wage job again
    then i told myself I'm going back to school for art in september

so I'm enjoying a salary and full benefits while they last.... :(

yeah, i've yet to get a job that's worth half of a shit. I was a gamestop assistant manager for a handful of years, and they tried to get me to take some store manager positions, but were offering sucker and bitch pay, so i let the suckers and bitches take it instead as i finally re-enrolled in school and eventually quit that motherfucker.

living off of student loans, but i'm going to need this to build up the funds to get me overseas after i graduate.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited May 2009
    I like it when other people who know my work talk me up to other people, because then I feel like less of a fraud! :o

Knowing people :P

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I wonder how Moss got his stuff in the New Yorker? Could it be because he submitted artwork to threadless.org, a design-focused t-shirt company which places the designer in an unparalleled level of exposure, eventually becoming one of 'threadless select', a group which is known for being good at design? Nah.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited May 2009
    Fine a sample of two then.

Look, I'm not saying its impossible. But, Moss got into purely peer voting site, had consistent designs and publicity because the site as whole became popular. That is a lucky chain of events. Say the whole internet shirt thing never took off, then Moss would have had to find another way to make his art accessible in such a way.

Nappuccino on

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Seriously Bacon, you're way better than you give yourself credit for. You're one of the few people on this site that should have a regular gig by now.

Mustang on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Look, I'm not saying its impossible. But, Moss got into purely peer voting site, had consistent designs and publicity because the site as whole became popular. That is a lucky chain of events.

the important factor that you're leaving out is that he is good at what he does. there were lots of shitty designers on there when moss made his debut. moss shone above all the rest and was rewarded for it.

beavotron on
    edited May 2009

Look, I'm not saying its impossible. But, Moss got into purely peer voting site, had consistent designs and publicity because the site as whole became popular. That is a lucky chain of events.

Lisl Ann Auerbach, a prominant fine artist right now, got famous because she distributed zines and got her work out there. gredavin, a writer in the WB, got into the comics biz because he wrote a comic, got someone to illustrate it for him, and got his work out there. How'd Chris Onstad make money from achewood? He got his work out there, and had a business structure in place to capitalize on his readership. Same thing with PA. They got their work out there, going through quite a few distribution models before finally finding the one that was right for them.

That, and they were good.

Shit, man. I don't know why you're arguing against self-promotion.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited May 2009
    beavotron wrote: »

the important factor that you're leaving out is that he is good at what he does. there were lots of shitty designers on there when moss made his debut. moss shone above all the rest and was rewarded for it.

I'm not forgetting it. But being good has nothing to do with being popular I hate to say. You still have to get your name out there some how and you need the people there to like what you do. he was lucky he was able to have such a great way to do it and be in a place people liked his work.

@self promotion: I'm not arguing against it. You've convinced me that pure talent can with over anything and I'm going to just shut the fuck up because apparently, all the other people who tried self promotion, and failed sucked terribly.

Nappuccino on

edited May 2009
    Or he jumped on an opportunity.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited May 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Seriously Bacon, you're way better than you give yourself credit for. You're one of the few people on this site that should have a regular gig by now.

Eh, I've had regular gigs. Trick now is getting the regular gigs that are the hella-nuts dream jobs and less casual space market stuff. And that means bustin' up the ol' skill set to the required hella-nuts level and not resting on ma' butts.

I'll give myself the hella-nuts credit when I've got the hella-nuts skills. Not there yet, not even close.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, there's an element of luck to it, but a lot of that "luck" comes from a lot of hard work finally catching the right person's attention. Pretty much all of my freelance gigs have come through word of mouth and a bunch of stuff I did for free/cheap back in university and then one thing leading to another.

DMAC on
    edited May 2009
    Or he jumped on an opportunity.

Is an opportunity self promotion?

Look, my main point was that luck was a large factor. Like DMAC says, the longer you work hard, the more likely your percentages "align" and someone notices you and it builds from there.

However, if you "know people" from the start that battle is so much easier.

Nappuccino on

edited May 2009
    Look, Napp. Either you can believe that working your butt off will make a difference, or you can believe that it won't. Personally, I'll wait to get disillusioned until I'm a pauper living on the streets.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited May 2009
    I'm not disillusioned... I edited that post to be a little clearer in what I'm trying to say...

Its about a millions times easier to get a gig when you already know the people instead of having to prove to them the difficult way.

The other way can work and if you work hard enough its possible. but the chance is slim and its a difficult road.

edit: I can't believe this all spawned from my suggestion of having a back up plan, a good idea for any major/ career you want to have....

Nappuccino on

edited May 2009
    Man, if it being a slim and difficult road dissuades you.. I'm not sure you'd be in the right business.

(note that's a general you, not you specifically napp)

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited May 2009
    fair enough, that's just why i plan on working with what I love while holding down a steady job so I can actually devote time to what I love without having to worry about how I'll feed myself at the same time.

Nappuccino on

• LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thats actually kind of why I dont intend to take any classes asides art after this semester. Seriously I knew it was a mistake taking english, it didn't help my grammar at all, it didn't really do anything I took it because they said that its required. But seriously, fuck whats required. I'm going to focus all my energy on art and if I collapse and become a homeless bum. Then oooooh wellllllll.

Schools wasted wayyy to much time on me trying to tell me not to do art and focus on "important" things. It's pretty much time to screw it and focus everything I can on art. I can do taxes and I am kind of elligible in writing. And I've written the same way for seven years, so just no I'm not going to improve anymore any time soon.

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited May 2009
    fair enough, that's just why i plan on working with what I love while holding down a steady job so I can actually devote time to what I love without having to worry about how I'll feed myself at the same time.

You think you're going to have a lot of free time to work on other things if you go into nursing? If my aunt is any indication, RNs are extremely overworked and underpaid.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited May 2009
    rawarararar

Loomdun on
    splat
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    what you need to do, loom is get a shitty job and pay rent for a few years. it does wonders for that "if I collapse and become a homeless bum, then oh well" attitude.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited May 2009
    I'm not going into nursing... yet.

And I have about... 8 relatives who are in the nursing biz. They work 3-4 12 hour shifts a week and then are free to do whatever else they please. You'd be amazed at all the things my Aunt Sharon does with her time off.

Seriously, I'm surprised she hasn't died yet. (she also works at my uncles Nursery and my Grandmother's farm depending on which needs the most help on a particular day edit: not to mention looking after her grandchildren whenever she can= she loves those little buggers)

I think the problems is they don't have convenient free time for hanging out with people and such but they have plenty of personal free time.

Nappuccino on

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

You think you're going to have a lot of free time to work on other things if you go into nursing? If my aunt is any indication, RNs are extremely overworked and underpaid.

if you become an RN, you won't be able to lift an eyelid when you get home

All the way down to CNAs are overworked

Tam on
    edited May 2009
    My aunt's a nurse, and she's usually on call. I mean, she does work with organ donation, but still. Working a 48 hour week in 4 days isn't going to leave you feelin' like working, particularly when you get asked to do overtime.

I mean, if you want to do it, go for it. Just don't go in there blind.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited May 2009
    Tam wrote: »

if you become an RN, you won't be able to lift an eyelid when you get home

All the way down to CNAs are overworked

I think it depends on a) your hospital and b) your personality for how you deal with the work load.

Nappuccino on

edited May 2009
    what you need to do, loom is get a shitty job and pay rent for a few years. it does wonders for that "if I collapse and become a homeless bum, then oh well" attitude.

As soon as I bring my friends back to fucking life and give back all my money to everyone who has died while trying to support me to gain a fucking normal life I'll maybe change my attitude to what I give a shit if I become a homeless bum towards what i'm trying to do. But right now, no.

edit: seven years wasted by being lied to people, I don't need to hear something like that from you.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm studying for my genetics final, and it's starting to hit me.
    such-and-such a process is turned on by an enzyme, which is itself regulated/activated by a different enzyme, which is regulated/activated by a different enzyme, on and on. I mean I'm looking here at terminators, then antiterminators, then antianti terminators...
    It's fucking turtles all the way down, man. They were right.

lyrium on
    edited May 2009
    lyrium wrote: »
    I'm studying for my genetics final, and it's starting to hit me.
    such-and-such a process is turned on by an enzyme, which is itself regulated/activated by a different enzyme, which is regulated/activated by a different enzyme, on and on. I mean I'm looking here at terminators, then antiterminators, then antianti terminators...
    It's fucking turtles all the way down, man. They were right.

everything affects everything else and the system works

it's freaking beautiful

Tam on
    edited May 2009
    I say we all stop arguing about what the best way to get famous is / work done and talk about something we all like.

Like ninjas...

on fire...

who are also pirates!

Nappuccino on

edited May 2009
    ninjas...

on fire...

who are also pirates!

Hmm, hmm...

Cliche, kid. Don't quit your day job.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited May 2009
    ninjas...

on fire...

who are also pirates!

Hmm, hmm...

Cliche, kid. Don't quit your day job.

Don't people like cliches?

I was banking on that.

edit: I got it! Flaming ninja pirate mummies

eh? :D

Nappuccino on

edited May 2009
    I propose we talk about hats

Tam on
    edited May 2009
    That's cool too.

I hear bacon's got a sweet hat.

Nappuccino on

edited May 2009
    I propose we talk about hats

k.

Hat TOTP
    skimask.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited May 2009
    That's cool too.

I hear sometimes you mix up plurals and possessives.

if777q.jpg

Tam on
    edited May 2009
    zZz

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited May 2009
    That's cool too.

??

"That is cool too. I hear bacon has got a sweet hat."

What's wrong with it aside from the meaningless "got" of course?

Nappuccino on

edited May 2009
    That's cool too.

??

"That is cool too. I hear bacon has got a sweet hat."

What's wrong with it aside from the meaningless "got" of course?

The post before that one. The one you ninja-edited.

Tam on
    edited May 2009
    I don't think Bacon's goes to has but goes to a object, such as Bacon's delicious bacon sandwich

Loomdun on
    splat
This discussion has been closed.