As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tournament On] Blood Bowl

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    bamjo wrote: »
    Ok, so this game is hard. The tiniest mistake will have the other team scoring while your guys are all on the ground. It felt like a real accomplishment to fight the AI to a tie. I forsee many an ass-kicking in my online future. Once I learn the rules better, I can see this game being really fun.

That's awesome.

Do you happen to know how close the rules are to the table top game? Cause if they are similar to the board game I want to read those rules to see if I will like the real game.

It's pretty much the exact same rules. You want to find the Living Rule Book version 5 and read that for the rule set the PC game is using.

Ketar on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Never played the tabletop but this has looked like fun, I'm picking up the game here to check out.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh, quick note to whoever set-up the unofficial PA league: consider upping the time limit for turns given the number of newer BB players signed up. 2:00 per turn is fine for folks who are used to the game and have a good idea in advance of how to set up their blocks and where each player can move to, but for the folks who are learning how to play 3 or even 4 minutes would be a lot better.

Kind of a drag, yes, but still probably worth doing initially to not make things too crazy for the new folks.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I have to say, after getting deep into a single player competition, this game is fucking great. I just wish the dice weren't against me so terribly sometimes. I lost 7 of 12 players in one game as Skaven vs. Dwarves. Ended up fielding 5 players and I think I might have even lost another by the end, it was ridiculously awesome and shitty at the same time.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was going to be strong! I was going to wait for wider retail release! I was going to play some of my vast backlog rather than buying new games!

#sigh# Downloading now.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    So I have to say, after getting deep into a single player competition, this game is fucking great. I just wish the dice weren't against me so terribly sometimes. I lost 7 of 12 players in one game as Skaven vs. Dwarves. Ended up fielding 5 players and I think I might have even lost another by the end, it was ridiculously awesome and shitty at the same time.

I lost one game tonight after missing 3 straight Go for it!'s. Which is impressive, since you only need to roll a 2 or better.

Then in my last game, while I held on for a 2-0 win, I whiffed three 2-die blocks in a row preventing an easy score and skill-up for me. It's a minor consolation that the mf'ing skink that took down all of my beastmen ended up winning the MVP for the enemy team, instead of a lizard they would actually want a skill on.

But yeah, BB's an awesome game, even when the dice just flat out hate you.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    After playing alot of the Single Player mode as Chaos, and a little bit as Orcs, I'm getting the feeling that for learning the game when starting out you may want to go Human.

Human have dedicated pass/throw, as well as dedicated runner types, and dedicated brawler types.

As much as I love my Chaos, I just can seem to find the niche for Beastmen, or the Chaos Warriors. Which is pretty much the whole army/team.

The campaign mode is a little stupid though... most of my guys are trying to hit level 2, maybe 1 or 2 are close to level 3, and the enemy team has level 6 guys. (this is on easy).

Overall, hella lot of fun. Cant wait to start playing other people in our Leagues and get Vent going etc.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Apart from atrocious load time to get into a game (serious go off and boil the kettle for a cup of tea jobs, is everyone getting this or is my system lacking?) this is pretty damn keen so far. The single player seems surprisingly meaty.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    so are all of you playing this on "classic" or their new fangled real time ?

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm on classic yeah. Also Man, i get the idea that chaos is not a good team to start with as well.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So what's the story with the 2 PA leagues? Are there different rulesets or something? Should newbs join a certain one?

Regarding chaos, I get the impression that a team starts out as a blank slate. As players level up, you can choose which position they play. I can't see them ever being an offensive powerhouse. My most effective strategy so far in my chaos campaign has been to turtle up in a big blob around the ball, bash the other team's brains in when they swarm the blob, and then hope my guy can make it to the endzone. Obviously this works better against the squishier teams, you will have a hard time out-blocking dwarves. Note that I have yet to win a game, though I do tie most of them, so the strat still needs work

EDIT: And yes loading times are ridiculous. I really hope they patch that.

bamjo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    As chaos and without a minotaur i have the best luck against dwarven teams actually. I can't seem to handle skaven at all though.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm on classic yeah. Also Man, i get the idea that chaos is not a good team to start with as well.

Well the thing about chaos teams is that at the start, they are somewhat weak but they have the best access to skills in the game.

All of their players have access to all of the tress, including the awesome mutation tree. You can give players move arms to carry the ball better, terrifying gazes to scare opponents or tentacles to hinder people from moving around you. The mutation tree is FULL of goodies.

So if you have a chaos team, stick with them and mutate them as the players level. They'll get better and better (or so i'm told. Total noob here.)

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh right fair enough. Yeah after the first tournament you can hire level 5 players and such and while they generally have an ass-retarded unfocused bunch of skills they're still pretty cool.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah the load times are ridiculous. You have to watch it individually load each player for the game. I hope to god they try and patch it. Beyond that though, it's only that long time at the beginning, and the rest of it is smooth sailing.

Humans are a good start in that they are a middle of the road playstyle. Not super great at any one thing, but super terrible at any one thing either. Whereas Skaven are weak as hell, but have crazy movement.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    bigbadbobbigbadbob Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just had an extremely violent game with my goblin team vs Choas team:
    The ref got hauled of in the beginning
    3 deaths on my side, 1 rezzed, 1 regnerated (the troll got hit by a rock), 1 dead for good
    2 injured, 1 just badly, 1 smashed hip

Killed one of his beast men
    hurt 2 more, one smashed collar bone and one badly

and we had a draw 1-1
    twas an interesting game.

bigbadbob on
    soldersig.jpg
    Candy Is dandy, But liquor Is quicker
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ok. I've applied for our league but i'm waiting for my application to get approved? Who does the approving?

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gobbos make for some hilariously violent games. Even if their not winning, some of ridiculous moments make up for it.

Yesterday versus a pretty vet Skaven.

First move of the game has my chainsaw taking out one of his gutter runners. Leaving him permanently taking one more wound dice for the rest of his career.

Later one of my trolls stomps a lineman, taking him out for the next game.

Sure he was running the ball with impunity down the holes in my line, killing a couple of my dudes, but it was fun anyway.

The highlight of the match definitely goes to one of my gobbos during the second half.

His gutter runner makes a break for the goal line but fails the go for it test one square from scoring.

Fumble!

My ambitious little git sprints over to pick it up, but can't run much further afterward.

He proceeds to survive getting ganged on by 2 more gutter runners and their thrower, with one or two linemen in the vicinity. Feeling reckless I tell him to run for it, and he proceeds to make six dodge rolls in a row to break their whole group.

Sure my troll turned stupid the next turn and failed to set up any defense, leaving him to get curbstomped out off the pitch, but it was awesome anyway.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I wouldn't recommend Chaos for beginners - they're not a bad team, but I believe they were intended to be a bit more difficult to play than the standard teams. Mutations are nice, but they're slow compared to any of the finesse teams and they aren't as strong as someone like Orcs.

Humans and Orcs were the only teams you could choose in the multiplayer beta, and I think they do make the two easiest teams to learn with. Orcs will force you to learn smash-mouth Blood Bowl, and humans can do the "form a cage, run the ball up the field slowly" thing, or they can actually develop a passing game.

Ketar on
  • Options
    LogicReasonLogicReason Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, playing the singleplayer game as Chaos, and my first game with a Skaven team, I kill 1, hurt 5, and knockout the other 5. The final turn? They had no one on the pitch. Still only won 2-1, but it was fun at least.

A minotaur with claws who fouls a guy on the ground with 7 assists and not nice. :lol:

LogicReason on
  • Options
    WIckedkarmaWIckedkarma AustinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So what's the story with the 2 PA leagues? Are there different rulesets or something? Should newbs join a certain one?

Regarding chaos, I get the impression that a team starts out as a blank slate. As players level up, you can choose which position they play. I can't see them ever being an offensive powerhouse. My most effective strategy so far in my chaos campaign has been to turtle up in a big blob around the ball, bash the other team's brains in when they swarm the blob, and then hope my guy can make it to the endzone. Obviously this works better against the squishier teams, you will have a hard time out-blocking dwarves. Note that I have yet to win a game, though I do tie most of them, so the strat still needs work

One is turn based the other is real time.
    Un official is turn based
    normal pa league is real time

WIckedkarma on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Foamy Beards are up and running, sort of. I sent an app to the unofficial PA league. Tried to play single player and it crashed to desktop.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

One is turn based the other is real time.
    Un official is turn based
    normal pa league is real time

I deleted the old real time league, and recreated another turn based league, since the Unofficial one is at 9/10 teams last i checked.

Still trying to figure out how to let teams into the League, since I cant even seem to find where the applications go, they arent in my Mail.

edit: NM... found it.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ok I've pretty much been playing this game non stop. Its incredibly deep when you start adding skills and developing a long term team. My only gripe besides loading times is that it takes too long for players to level up. I've played about 10 games with my Chaos team and only have 3 players at level 2. The fastest way to level for chaos seems to be to cause casualties for 2 points a pop. Maybe other races/playstyles level faster. I can see a skaven or wood elf team with lots of scoring potential leveling pretty fast.

bamjo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    By the way, my name on Blood Bowl is

Chadwich

You guys should add me to your friends list so we can find and challenge one another easily. What are you guys names?

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    and dying really fast.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think I'm going to pick this up tomorrow. What's the general consensus, worth the $50?

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Whats the deal with real time mode? How is it implemented vs turn based?

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I think I'm going to pick this up tomorrow. What's the general consensus, worth the $50?

I am having a ton of fun with it. I do not regret my purchase at all.

Lots of polish, flashy, easy to get in to and learn...even if you've never played the table top (like myself.)

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I am having a ton of fun with it. I do not regret my purchase at all.

Lots of polish, flashy, easy to get in to and learn...even if you've never played the table top (like myself.)

I guess I know what I'll be playing then!

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    online name is wickedk4rm4 feel free to add me to friends.
    I added it to steam via add non steam game so feel free to msg me in steam if you wanna game I'm doing some off line mode to get used to it.
    Steam name is wickedkarma for those of you who don't already have me on your friends list.

Its worth the purchase, I never played the table top and I'm having a blast.
    Few things for those of yo have have never played:
    1. your mans will die get used to it.
    2.when your mans die it sucks but its all part of the game learn appreciate the little things.
    3. killing you mans is a valid strategy kill the other teams mans first to win!
    4. Gobbos and Skaven and elves are not meant to block learn to move your guys to create running/passing lanes and exploit them.
    5.the die DO HATE YOU most of the time.

WIckedkarma on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As much as I love my Chaos, I just can seem to find the niche for Beastmen, or the Chaos Warriors. Which is pretty much the whole army/team.

I've got a young Chaos team going, and the thing I like about them is that, because you start out with good stats and no skills, you can create your own niche players. I have a Beastman who I gave an Extra Arm and Pass, another has new Claws, and two have Block so far. I figure I'm making my own positional players, and the mutations will help. As for the Warriors, I figure the usual basher skills: Block, Guard, maybe Tackle or Wrestle or Mighty Blow.

A strategy article on the main board had an interesting idea, which I think I'll try...make one Beastman a "utility" player, with something like Kick, Leader, Dirty Player and Sneaky Git. Which actually leads me to a question...is there any way to choose which player on your team kicks?

The bummer is that my Chaos Warriors aren't getting many SPP's because they're so slow I can't score TD's with them. They basically stand there in a group and pound anyone who gets close, and are doing a decent amount of Casualties, but not enough to level up. I love playing against Skaven so far, if they slip Gutter Runners through I can have one of my Beasties blitz one to oblivion, get a couple others to mark the other Runner. It doesn't matter if my Warriors get outmanned elsewhere on the field because of the 4 strength.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can see a skaven or wood elf team with lots of scoring potential leveling pretty fast.

Yep, but you have to balance that against their shorter lifespans. Because of low Strength and Armor, they'll get hurt more, meaning more time out of the game, more likelihood of stat-reducing injuries and, of course, death. That Wood Elf catcher with 4 skills who can catch a ball thrown within 10 feet of him and can dodge bullets can still fall prey to Mr. Deathroller.

That said, I do want to try a Wood Elf team, as a contrast to my Chaos guys, partially because Wardancers are so amazing. Even though I know my Dancers will get fouled to death.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ok I've pretty much been playing this game non stop. Its incredibly deep when you start adding skills and developing a long term team. My only gripe besides loading times is that it takes too long for players to level up. I've played about 10 games with my Chaos team and only have 3 players at level 2. The fastest way to level for chaos seems to be to cause casualties for 2 points a pop. Maybe other races/playstyles level faster. I can see a skaven or wood elf team with lots of scoring potential leveling pretty fast.

When you get more used to the game you'll get better at leveling players faster. I have two games in with a chaos team online, and I have 1 player at level 2 and I think 2 other players at 5 spp and 2 at 3 spp. Next game I'll put two of the guys with 5 spp back anytime I'm receiving, and try to use them to recover the kick-off and complete a (very) short pass to get the 1 spp needed for a skill up. I'll also make it a point to set up anyone with 3 spp as my ball-carrier so they can get the 3 spp they need for a skill up if I do make it down the field for a TD. Any time you come to the end of a half and have the ball, but can't possibly score, make sure to go for the easiest pass you can complete to try to pick up the extra spp.

Yeah, racking up points can be easier with a speedy, agile catcher, but as was pointed out they tend to break fairly easily. Still, I had one hell of a human catcher in the beta. Got him to blodge as quickly as possible (block+dodge is a great combo for receivers/ball-carriers), and then added +1 movement, fend, and I think side-step. It was absurdly hard for opponents to bring him down at times, and he usually ended up scoring 2-3 times a game for me.

Ketar on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Which actually leads me to a question...is there any way to choose which player on your team kicks?

as long as your player is on the field and not in the wide zones or on line of scrimmage you get to use the skill.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    *sigh* You guys win, I'm not even sure why I tried to resist it.

*purchases*

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm in the penny arcade 2 league chan if anyone wants to play a game. I will hang out for about 10 mins or so before I go play a pubbie league game.

WIckedkarma on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I can't figure out how a lizardmen team can be successful. Skinks are made of paper, and the big lizards aren't mobile enough to keep up and block for your runners. Playing against the lizards is child's play. I usually KO a good chunk of their team before halftime, and with a couple blockers my ball carrier is invincible. I guess they are a bit like Chaos, in that they start as a blank slate. I just don't see any player living long enough to skill up to a worthwhile level.

bamjo on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can't figure out how a lizardmen team can be successful. Skinks are made of paper, and the big lizards aren't mobile enough to keep up and block for your runners. Playing against the lizards is child's play. I usually KO a good chunk of their team before halftime, and with a couple blockers my ball carrier is invincible. I guess they are a bit like Chaos, in that they start as a blank slate. I just don't see any player living long enough to skill up to a worthwhile level.

I'm still downloading the game but, based on their online description it sounds like their big player (The Kroxigor) doesn't suffer from stupidity or some other type of harmful roll check, so that could be an advantage for them.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No, all big guys suffer from some form of stupidity, unless that changed in the lrb5thed. but really with lizardmen your saurus smash thing and your skinks dance in and out of tackle zones . Just keep them away from anything other then a blitz and they should be fine, also dont hang out on the side lines, you can and will get murderd that way.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."