Rolo's art thread of digitalness and non-digitalness

BroloBrolo BroseidonLord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hey all, I've been working on a new website:

http://www.japong.net

None of the work there is particularly new, but this is the first time I've had everything together in one place. I would like a little feedback on my current portfolio and where its strengths and weaknesses are. Not all of these pieces are entirely new, but I have re-touched a lot of them significantly.

rain1.jpg

portrait1.jpg

vert.jpg

Speed painting - not sure if it should be here. I might try working it up to the quality of some of the other images here.

main.html

riot.jpg

jamaica.jpg

old.jpg

engraved.jpg

chained.jpg

Any thoughts or advice, AC?

Brolo on

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like where you are going with these pieces, I'm feeling a little Alice in Industrial Land plus some Shadow of de Morte Arthur Collosus.

You have a spark of talent, most definately in the lighting and colour choice department.

My only advise is that the poses, I'm looking at the first picture really, feels very wooden, there is no fluid motion of the body, no comfortable positioning. I recommend getting a model, not a paid nude, just a friend and have them stand about for you. They'll naturally pose in a way that feels right.

The final piece is striking, a real proffesional piece of artwork, worthy of some gallery, some place. But you must know that so fuck ya.

Endless_Serpents on
  • MustangMustang Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I know you a) want to protect your work from those that would steal or b) want to advertise your site, but watermarks are ugly as shit and fuck up every bit of art you've posted here.

The last one is miles ahead of the rest, is it your latest?

Mustang on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    I know you a) want to protect your work from those that would steal or b) want to advertise your site, but watermarks are ugly as shit and fuck up every bit of art you've posted here.

The last one is miles ahead of the rest, is it your latest?

The watermarks I'm still a little unsure about - I've recently found someone who had reposted *all* of my work as their own on deivantart along with a bunch of stuff from other artists, which has made me a little paranoid about putting my work up online.

And yeah, the last piece is one of the latest, and it uses heavy photo and model referencing (I had a model posing for me for the majority of it), which has a lot to do with the change in quality from the other pieces posted here. I also used some photo texturing, which is something I still struggle with.

Serpents - thanks dude! I'm trying to do more work with live models, my work is quite a bit stronger when I have one to work with, but trying to schedule models or friends can be pretty difficult! For most of these I've had to settle for a combination of figurines and photoreferences, and the results are not always as good as I'd like them to be.

Brolo on
  • MustangMustang Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    They always get caught out eventually, I remember one dude trying to pass off Greg Horn's stuff as his own. Oh my how we laughed.

Mustang on
  • PojPoj Registered User
    edited May 2009
    I like all of these, but something about the style contrast in "engraved.jpg" seems really forced and unnatural... like you just copy-pasted something from another unrelated drawing on top of a backdrop. The colors are amazing in the sunrise/sunset one. I think the way you painted that one really takes advantage of your tools well. It's almost impressionistic, or something.

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Stop watermarking your stuff its really distracting and makes me want to stop looking at your work.

Just put a tagline in the black border you are putting around all your images if you must have all that info..

You could do with a lot of study on form and basic value relationships. As far as that goes your most successful piece is the speed painting as far as the shapes and value relationships holding together.

The anatomy is rather poor in most of these as well.

Anyone stealing a low rez jpeg cant really do shit with it. and if they are claiming it as their work, that shit will bite them in the ass the second they get asked to replicate it.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited May 2009
    Stop watermarking your stuff its really distracting and makes me want to stop looking at your work

Anyone stealing a low rez jpeg cant really do shit with it. and if they are claiming it as their work, that shit will bite them in the ass the second they get asked to replicate it.

I might just cut the watermarks altogether. As annoying as it is to have people masquerading as me, if they're not looking at my actual work when I host it then there's not much gain for me.
    You could do with a lot of study on form and basic value relationships. As far as that goes your most successful piece is the speed painting as far as the shapes and value relationships holding together.

Can you expand on this? I'm not sure what you mean here.

Brolo on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    loving your concepts.

With this one, i think its a little hard to read the background. The flame is the same contrast level as the light reflections on the running water. Did you work in greyscale? It shouldnt be too hard to adjust. Perhaps adding some darker tones to the foreground might help?
    riot.jpg

This is my favorite. Beautiful colours.
    jamaica.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
    edited June 2009
    pencils1.jpg
    Using a variety of photo references for the tentacles, girl, bathroom and water

pencils2.jpg
    From some garlic I had laying on my desk (it made my room smell for a few days)

pencils3.jpg
    From a photo, with some exaggeration

pencils4.jpg
    From a mirror

Brolo on
    edited June 2009
    Oh, and not sure why I didn't post this originally:

ranger.jpg

(the watermarks are going! I just need my original files once my desktop is back up!)

Brolo on
  • SequoiaSequoia Registered User
    edited June 2009
    I like the painterly effect that you manage to achieve with most of your pieces. Oftentimes digital painting just looks too digital, too cold. I think that you use of light and light placement is the strongest part of your work. Some of the textures and lighting are very interesting in your standing nude, but it is a bit overwrought for my taste. If you are still working on it, I would work with the front foot, it is strangely placed. Is is supposed to be weight bearing? Even if you choose not to adjust I think it is still a strong piece. It is just trying so hard to emote that it feels trivial. I find your self-portrait above to be much more compelling.

Sequoia on
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User
    edited June 2009
    the girl in the bathtub is great. The way you portrayed the water using pencils is fricken awesome

Leggraphics on