As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Justice Society Returns...Again!

• Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Talk about strong relaunch! I got the first two issues on Wednesday and just read them today. I will be continuing picking it up!

They need to give Hourman a lot more screen time.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I also have slight misgivings about the large roster as it makes me worry that my favorites won't get much time in the forefront.

And TWO cute teenage girl heroes? How long can that last?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I got the first 2 issues and y'all are right, this shit is sex.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    And TWO cute teenage girl heroes? How long can that last?

Hopefully not for long! :roll:

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Because it needs to be done...

justicesocietyofamericalk9.th.jpg

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bad Karma wrote:

Awesome.

And its Sandman now, right? No more of this Sand nonsense?

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Bad Karma wrote:

Awesome.

Yep, good ol Sandy is Sandman, and he finally ditched the ball cap.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I was finally able to pick up number two, now that I'm back at school.

I have to say, this serious is off to an amazing start.

Skullo on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey Geoff Johns, way to be a furry.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Hey Geoff Johns, way to be a furry.

Mark Waid and Alex Ross did it first.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    Mark Waid and Alex Ross did it first.

Yeah but that was an Elseworlds and non-intrusive.

Plus, that one could've been cat-man all the time and not whenever he chose.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Or it could have been a guy who loves the silky feel of feline fur and a ball pouch.

Get your sick fantasies out of my head Keith.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sandy is a total bad-ass right now.

Also, you know, lol furries

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The scene at the Steel family picnic was one long :-( from me. Poor kids.

Marathon on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Know what I like about the new Sandman? He provides his own moody entrances courtesy of the whole, "Ooh, I can make parts of myself waft away as smoke," thing.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Know what I like about the new Sandman? He provides his own moody entrances courtesy of the whole, "Ooh, I can make parts of myself waft away as smoke," thing.

My only problem is that his coat looks fucking retarded. Why are the corners, like, pinned to his shoulder or something?

I can't even tell what is going on with that thing

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

you know in the February or March edition of Wizard they were talking about the slow solidification of Kingdom Come into a very probable future.

Some of the strongest evidence is the charectors that have started to appear, like Offspring, Zatar, Cyclone looking exactly like Red Cyclon(it was commented that she is actually the you version of Red Cyclon), Starman in the current of course and my others.

Hell Swastika is in Justice Society of America #3 and the bad guy that Damage was fighting in issue #1 was supposed to be another villain form Kindom Come, Von Bach, but they decieded to change him to red and blue with some other name i cant remember.

So what does everyone else think of the possibility of Kindom Come becomming a very likely, is not very possible future.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just as long as no more attempts to revisit Kingdome Come are made along the lines of The Kingdom. They would never be as good.

There are already several incongruities between the stated past of Kingdom Come and the current state of the DCU, though, namely the absence of prominent characters that were only recently invented and the preaence of characters who have been phased out or are dead.

Legitimizing KC as a possible future would force all kinds of changes (like bringinig Ted and Jade back, and returning Wally to the position of Flash), and I'm not sure it's worth it when it'll only be a year or so before the modern DCU again has veered off the path towards Kingdom Come.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote: »
    Just as long as no more attempts to revisit Kingdome Come are made along the lines of The Kingdom. They would never be as good.

There are already several incongruities between the stated past of Kingdom Come and the current state of the DCU, though, namely the absence of prominent characters that were only recently invented and the preaence of characters who have been phased out or are dead.

Legitimizing KC as a possible future would force all kinds of changes (like bringinig Ted and Jade back, and returning Wally to the position of Flash), and I'm not sure it's worth it when it'll only be a year or so before the modern DCU again has veered off the path towards Kingdom Come.

Well, everyone and their mom knows DC is doing COUNTDOWN plus another major event after that. So maybe this all leads to it.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I hope they don't make Kingdom Come the definite future

There shouldn't be any definite future.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    My guess is that some of the KC stuff on incorporated into New Earth or whatever they call it.

It's obvious there is going to be some explanation, judging from the back of JSA 1

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I hope they don't make Kingdom Come the definite future

Plus, at least in the comicbook world, you cant have a definitive future.

It won't happen. I think people are reading too much into shit they have no idea about.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    There is a new interview up at Newsarama with Frank Tieri on moving on to DC with a two issue JSA Classified arc starring Wildcat.
    FT: Why Wildcat? Wildcat’s the baddest motherfucker in comics, that’s why. There… I said it. Wolverine, Batman, Punisher… all pussies in comparison. And while some of those characters may be stronger or more skilled or could take Wildcat in a fight, certainly none are tougher—and this from a guy who’s written his fair share of tough guy characters. Ted Grant throws on that crazy-ass cat costume of his and goes out there to fight the good fight in the DCU with no powers or claws or guns or utility belts or whatever—but with his fists.

Think about that. That’s totally nuts. You have to have stones the size of casaba melons to even consider doing what he does. And consider this other little tidbit-- he’s been doing it since the days of ducktails and Ozzie and Harriet.

I say..awesome. JSA Classified has been a really good book, and it's what JLA Classified should be, a companion book to the regular title that features closeup stories on one or two members.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This might be better served in the ask whoever thread, but regarding JSA #5:
    Can someone explain to me which Legion of Super Heroes version this is all referencing? I tried wiki, but there are like 10 different versions. Which one did Superman hang out with? I'd like to try to catch up on who they are. Are they worth reading?

JoeUser on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think it's all been tied together now?

It certainly seems to be referencing characters in the current Legion book (the one with super-girl and fiff-dee too).

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, this issue was like ten times more satisfying than the JLA issue. It probably doesn't hurt that Cyclone is such a cute character.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »
    I think it's all been tied together now?

It certainly seems to be referencing characters in the current Legion book (the one with super-girl and fiff-dee too).

While some of the character names might be the same, I don't think it's meant to be the same group.

The reference
    of Star Boy killing Kenz Nuhor seems to come from a book from 1966.

Adventure Comics No. 342 (March 1966) "The Legionnaire Who Killed"

In 2966, Nura rejected an adamant suitor named Kenz Nuhor, who in a fit of jealousy went after Star Boy with the intent to kill him. Star Boy was forced to kill the man in self-defense, and to protect Dream Girl from the rogue's jealous rage. Although cleared by the Science Police, Star Boy was put on trial by his comrades. Brainiac 5 prosecuted and Superboy acted as his defense "attorney". It was a close vote, but Thom was found guilty 10:9 and expelled from the Legion. Dream Girl had foreseen this event and joined the Legion of Substitute Heroes just prior to the trial and invited Star Boy to join that team, which he did.

stolen from here

Plus, now
    Superman did spend time with the Legion as Superboy now, which had been removed from continuity, I think.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I loved the look on Superman's face when he talked about them all being able to fly.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    Bad Karma wrote:

Awesome.

Yep, good ol Sandy is Sandman, and he finally ditched the ball cap.

I like Sandman and all, but what the hell is he wearing?

Is he wrapped up in some trenchcoat-like blanket with two pointy shoulders? I can't figure that thing out.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Sandman for me will always be Morpheus.

This "dude in a gas-mask" thing does not sit well with me, for this reason.

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yeah, well, who came first?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yeah, well, who came first?

Booyah.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, but in my personal chronology Dream was my first exposure to the character.

Just sayin'

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2007

sure there should, as long as it's vague enough not to interfere with stories but cool enough to be totally badass, i.e.:
    DCOneMillion4.jpg

I dare anyone not to at least think about shedding a manly tear at that one page.

Anyway, about JSA: I approve of this product and/or service. Which is surprising, since Johns' Captain Yesterday tendencies have never worn too well on me before, but I'm continually impressed at the dexterity with which in this book he's a) introduced a large cast and got me to at least feel like I sort of know them all, even the ones who haven't had much to do, b) had an interesting story begin, develop, and conclude in a reasonable number of issues, and c) made me care.

At any rate it's certainly instructive to compare what Johns and Meltzer have managed to accomplish, respectively, in the same number of issues.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »

sure there should

But you can't have one.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Interview with Dale Eaglesham on drawing JSofA.

I missed him on issue #5, but I thought Pasarin did a good job as a fill in. Hell, if Eaglesham had to leave the book I wouldn't mind Pasarin taking over. My only problem was that he draws every male in the book with the exact same torso.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Pre-Crisis Legion I believe. And yes, I think they are worth reading.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well, I figured I'd try and resurrect this thread before Tach makes a new one.

We're almost finished with Year One, and this book is still my favorite month after month.

The 'Thy Kingdom Come' arc has just started with issue ten (issue nines last few pages set it up) and surprise surprise, we finally get to what was teased way back in issue one

obs7.jpg

Here's an interview with Geoff Johns on the current arc.

Coming up in issue twelve, we finally see the return of Jakeem Thunder (in this book anyways) and a whole new slew of legacy heroes.

If you havent picked up the book yet, you fail. Pick up the Justice Society of America - The Next Age Hardcover.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Who is the girl

Geoff Johns said "you might recognize her from Kingdom Come"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Who is the girl

Geoff Johns said "you might recognize her from Kingdom Come"

I checked the comments. She's supposed to be the young version of some shapeshifter named Trix, or something.

Also, Mid-Nite's cough may signify that he's transforming into his Kingdom Come self, which was comprised entirely of smoke.

I'm always happy to have the newsarama posters do the nerd footwork, so I don't have to.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg