As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help with my Receiver!

BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I just got Onkyo's HT-S6100 Home Theatre package. I love it a lot. I'm having a small problem though.

It is supposed to upconvert any source to HDMI but I cannot figure out how to do it with Component cables from my PS3 to Receiver and HDMI from Receiver to TV. Here is a picture of the back of the receiver.

HT-S6100-B-R.jpg

I tried putting the component cables in the DVD component slot and the Audio Cables in the DVD slot under the S-Video like it suggests in the manual, but this did not work. Under any combination of Source with Component cables I could not get anything to output of the HDMI cable.

Am I missing something here?

P.S. This isn't a huge problem as I should be receiving two HDMI cables tomorrow with my 14g speaker wire(to replace the 22g that came with the system), but I really want to watch Terminator 2 Tonight on Blue-Ray with this setup.

P.P.S. What kind of cable do I need to hook up my Macbook Pro to this receiver?

P.P.P.S. You think Diablo 3 will install on both PC and Mac with one CD when it comes out next decade? One can hope, right? I don't want to have to choose between playing on my giant plasma and making my roomates watch or playing in my room whenever I want. Maybe I will buy both.... sorry for the rambling, im just excited about all my new stuffz.

Buddies on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You need to go into the menu system and be all "hey component 2, come out of HDMI 1"

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That is awesome, by the way, how much did it cost you?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You'lll need either an adapter (DVI or mini displayport) to HDMI, Or a cable that's terminated with HDMI on one end and DVI/mini displayport on the other. Did the system not come with an adapter/cable?

Djeet on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's a pretty obscure need for most people at this point, I'd be surprised if it came with that adapter. www.monoprice.com.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    That is awesome, by the way, how much did it cost you?

$702 shipped from Amazon. I've seen it as low as $549, but not in the last couple weeks. The receiver is basically the Onkyo TX-SR606 but outputting 130 watts per channel, 2 less HDMI Inputs but HDMI Upconverting. The speakers aren't the greatest, and the speaker wire that comes with it sucks, but those can be upgraded cheaply. IMO it is about the best all in one package you can get at the price range.

It's Paired with a Samsung PN58B650. Im happy with the setup, but the I am noticing the Buzz that plagues the large samsung plasma's.

Djeet wrote:
    You'lll need either an adapter (DVI or mini displayport) to HDMI, Or a cable that's terminated with HDMI on one end and DVI/mini displayport on the other. Did the system not come with an adapter/cable?

Is this in reference to my Macbook Pro? I'll have to check my packages for any cables that came with the system, but off the top of my head it didn't come with any. I could be wrong though as I was really excited and just started ripping the box apart and nailing the speakers to the wall as soon as I got home.

Buddies on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Buddies wrote: »
    Djeet wrote:
    Is this in reference to my Macbook Pro? I'll have to check my packages for any cables that came with the system, but off the top of my head it didn't come with any. I could be wrong though as I was really excited and just started ripping the box apart and nailing the speakers to the wall as soon as I got home.
    It's highly unlikely your receiver or MBP would have come with any such adapter, but they're dirt cheap at monoprice.com. Use the mini display port to DVI adapter that came with your MBP, connect a DVI to HDMI adapter to it, then run an HDMI cable from that to your receiver. I'm using a DVI to HDMI adapter to connect a home theater PC to my new TV, works great. Some quick googling tells me other people have done the same with their MBPs, so I doubt it will be a problem.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Very Cool, now I just need to get a wireless keyboard and mouse for the Macbook and we're in business.

Buddies on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Buddies wrote: »
    Very Cool, now I just need to get a wireless keyboard and mouse for the Macbook and we're in business.
    MBP's got Bluetooth support, yeah? I'm using this one for my HTPC currently. Works great for me, since I don't really want a separate mouse cluttering up the living room. If you're aiming to do some big-screen gaming, though, you'll probably want something different since gaming on the trackpad would probably be substandard. Also, I have no idea how much of an issue not having the Apple and Option keys would be. Anyway, I'd recommend looking for Bluetooth wireless keyboards and mice generally, they've got much better range than most of RF-based units out there.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer