As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mini-Phalla] Day 6 -- Blink: Trinity

• WhodWhod Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That countdown clock is really helpful, cool. We need that in every phalla!

Whod on
    Co-lead, Hello Kitty Pretty Princess Guild
  • iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    We should probably arrange a way for non overlapping watches.

The fairest I can think of is either watch the person above you or below you in the list.

Either way doesn't matter since if there are two weepers in a row, one will be protected either way, so lets just go with watch the person below, just because that means I get to watch Kime.

And then tomorrow to alternate it so that different people watch the same targets. This seems like the most optimal way to stop Weeper kills from going off.

iamtheaznman on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sounds like a good way to start.

Nocturne on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You're forgetting that most of the time we'll blink. And we don't spot them kill, we stop them from killing.

At least this should cut down on kills by almost 50% each night.

Kay2 on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ok! this is gonna be interesting...

Dunadan019 on
    edited May 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    You're forgetting that most of the time we'll blink. And we don't spot them kill, we stop them from killing.

At least this should cut down on kills by almost 50% each night.

That's true but we'll be informed if we blink which is why we can switch next days lookers pending on whether people blinked or not.

iamtheaznman on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Blink blink AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited May 2009
    ... but the mafia are going to lie about wether or not they blinked....

this is a game where each good person has a 45% chance of clearing someone from causing any deaths that happens that night.

so if i don't blink while watching you and then 3 people die, i know you are not responsible for any of those 3 deaths.

i don't really think its a great idea to declare who your watching either just because there might be mechanics that take advantage of that.

Dunadan019 on
    edited May 2009
    Eh, it's not like we have anything to go by on Day 1, otherwise I would agree with you Duna.

Nocturne on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, unfortunately all the brilliant ideas I've had to abuse this mechanic have holes in them. I was going to say we have groups of 3 or 4 target people, and then when there's a variance in kill counts, we'll know it was one of the people they targeted, kinda like the way the group seer worked in the suikoden-phalla and think pokephalla. The problem is that if that's all public, they could probably just withhold kills or something to make people look suspicious.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    edited May 2009
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Yeah, unfortunately all the brilliant ideas I've had to abuse this mechanic have holes in them. I was going to say we have groups of 3 or 4 target people, and then when there's a variance in kill counts, we'll know it was one of the people they targeted, kinda like the way the group seer worked in the suikoden-phalla and think pokephalla. The problem is that if that's all public, they could probably just withhold kills or something to make people look suspicious.

yeah i thought of the same things.

thats why i think its better if everyone keeps it secret or maybe secretly coordinates with only 2 or 3 people if they feel like it.

even that has some downsides though.

Dunadan019 on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »

yeah i thought of the same things.

thats why i think its better if everyone keeps it secret or maybe secretly coordinates with only 2 or 3 people if they feel like it.

even that has some downsides though.

Secret co-ordination is probably the best method, but it is still rather dangerous.

Oats on
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, all it takes is 1 person in a secret group being a gargoylemafiathing to throw all the results.

Nocturne on
    edited May 2009
    Looking at the person below you may not necessarily grant someone as innocent or guilty BUT at least it should cut back on about half the kills.

Also I doubt evils would hold back kills due to the possibility of being watched, they have a 55% chance of their kill going off, I know if I was being watched I'd still do it, since it doesn't let people know I killed someone just that it prevents it.

We can't necessarily use it as an indicator of whether someone is guilty or not but preventing half the kills while somewhat knowing stuff seems better than having all the kills go off and people in secret not knowing whats going on. The village benefits from public knowledge, and having a list of all the people who were watched/blink/how many kills go off each night seems like the best way to deduce who are evil in the end game.

iamtheaznman on
    edited May 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Yeah, all it takes is 1 person in a secret group being a gargoylemafiathing to throw all the results.

Or killing those involved.

Oats on
    edited May 2009
    ok, with 9 groups of 2, that means we still have a 70% chance of neither person blinking.

that means 6 people will be cleared of all killings. now assuming there are 3 mafia, at most 3 of those groups will only have a 45% chance of clearing someone.

so you will have 4 or 5 people cleared each night meaning a likely reduction of the mafia kill by 1/3 or 2 people. which probably furthre reduces it to 4 people actually cleared and 1 person falsly cleared due to lying mafia.

i think.

Dunadan019 on
    edited May 2009
    I don't quite understand what you mean by "clearing" people. To my knowledge all not blinking does is stop the person you're looking at from killing that night.

Nocturne on
    edited May 2009
    I don't quite understand what you mean by "clearing" people. To my knowledge all not blinking does is stop the person you're looking at from killing that night.

clearing as in 'they couldn't have caused those deaths'

a spread sheeter should be able to tear this game up.

Dunadan019 on
    edited May 2009

clearing as in 'they couldn't have caused those deaths'

a spread sheeter should be able to tear this game up.

Actually that's a good point.

Also makes me think that everybody should make their results public. We know that the mafia will lie, but it will still give us something to plug in that should eventually be helpful. Especially if the mafia tie themselves together by covering for one-another.

Nocturne on
  • RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, are there no good specials in this game then, since everyone has that staring ability?

Meanwhile, RNG says to go with Monkeyfet

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
    edited May 2009
    How would you know WHICH 6 of the 9 are going to be cleared?

Trying to find out if someone is or is not mafia from day 1 is going to be HIGHLY difficult. You have to think long term.

9 groups of 2 may work, but all it takes is a group of 2 lying Mafia and every result is skewed. You just have to remember that its going to be very unlikely to clear anyone.

In any case, public information is best as people dying and taking their secret information to the grave is dumb as hell.

iamtheaznman on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Damn, it looks like the odds are really kind of against finding any definite information. Guess it wouldn't be a proper Phalla if it were easy, though.

Silas Brown on
    edited May 2009
    The way I see things.

First night, we're not going to know shit. We're not going to know how many kills the mafia gets, we're not going to know how many we stopped (though I guess we know if we didn't stop a possible kill), all we'll know for sure is how many people died that night - which may or may not be the full number.

The only way we'll know how many mafia we're looking for (assuming each one gets a kill) is to not watch anyone, and that's a stupid idea, even if it gives us some valuable information.

I guess as we narrow down suspects, multiple people watching the same suspect is a good idea, though you know for certain that the Weeping Angels, the Lonely Assassins, and whatever else they're called are going to lie about whether or not they saw someone blink.

Makes you wonder, that they can act when they're observed, just not kill. That's not like it was in the episode!

Kay2 on
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Makes you wonder, that they can act when they're observed, just not kill.

What do you mean by this? :P (Trying to make sure there's not any rule misunderstandings floating around.)

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    edited May 2009
    They're posting and pretending to be people. They were just statues in the show, that's all I mean.

As in, we're not watching statues that can kill people when unobserved. We're watching people that can kill people when unobserved. Sending in a watch order doesn't stop someone from posting, it just stops their kill, if we don't blink, and we don't know they tried to kill someone, do we?

Kay2 on
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh.

That's correct.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, also, we have no idea how many kills they get, I'd imagine one each.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • SpectralSporkSpectralSpork Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think we've all forgotten a time honored tradition. Kime!

SpectralSpork on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Noooooo!

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • SpectralSporkSpectralSpork Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    kime wrote: »
    Noooooo!

Bwhahahah!

SpectralSpork on
    edited May 2009
    It's quiet.

I blame Kay.

Oats on
    edited May 2009
    oh yeah... voting...

i'm gonna go with Rainfall as the only person whose name i don't recognize.

Dunadan019 on
    edited May 2009
    Whatever we do we need to decide as a public group.

My vote is for just seering the person below you for today, prevents the most amount of kills, is easy to coordinate, and if we all post who blinked and who didn't can narrow down our suspects a little bit more.

Honestly anything secret is shady as hell and people who support it are not for the benefit of the village.

iamtheaznman on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, I can see the benefits of groups of 2-3 getting together and all staring at one person, and deciding their target privately. They shouldn't keep their targets and the results a secret after close, though.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    edited May 2009
    I think for day 1 that's as good of an idea as any.

I don't agree with your last sentence aznman, as networks and secret groups are the way Phallas are won, but on the first day I like the idea of everyone watching the person below them and posting results. It gives us some information to start with.

Nocturne on
    edited May 2009
    I think for day 1 that's as good of an idea as any.

I don't agree with your last sentence aznman, as networks and secret groups are the way Phallas are won, but on the first day I like the idea of everyone watching the person below them and posting results. It gives us some information to start with.

For most games yes, I'm not saying all the specials come out and say who they are. What I am saying is that if we all have secret information and carry it to the grave its dumb. But if everyone has information that does NOT hurt the villages chance of victory by exposing and instead that by combining our information the village can have greater analysis then it only makes sense to make the information public.
    kime wrote: »
    Well, I can see the benefits of groups of 2-3 getting together and all staring at one person, and deciding their target privately. They shouldn't keep their targets and the results a secret after close, though.

I can see the benefit of this as well, the only problem is that this will not reduce the kills as much, but it does get us closer to finding out who may or may not be good. The only problem is we don't know how many kills there are (unless narration says we prevent some) and thus I think day 1 should be about mitigating as many kills as possible.

iamtheaznman on
    edited May 2009
    oh yeah... voting...

Rainfall.

She's always evil.

Oats on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    oh yeah... voting...

Yeah, I'm gonna go with !Dunadan019 as he's clearly too new to Phalla to be cool.

Oh thanks, Oats.

Rainfall on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    !Dunadan019, as that was the last vote that appeared when I posted.

Zandracon on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ugh. Whoops. Let's try that again.

!Dunadan019

Zandracon on