AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh, Sali, omelette du fromage

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZuelZuel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    According to the Spanish Coach. I speak Spanish on a 2nd grade level. I really don't think this is true.

Zuel on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I took a semester of Japanese my Freshman year in High School but then my family moved and my new High School didn't have Japanese so I took two years of Spanish instead

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I had English, Latin and Italian in school. The latter two were such a waste of time.

I really hope that as globalization goes on we'll just replace all other languages with English one day.
    Would make life so much easier.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    man, I wish I could have taken Latin in school

Latin is badass

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can speak, read, and write natively my language of Tagalog/Filipino. I can also use the Bisaya dialect natively, which despite being called a "dialect", is really an entirely different language with entirely different construction. Also, I know how to use English, and been complemented that I use it like a native, so I guess there's that too.

Currently studying Japanese. Been at it for the past...2 years, I guess?

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It was incredible boring. And unlike 20 years ago, you don't need it for any jobs any more.

It is totally unnecessary to teach it in schools.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    you seem to think that something has to be necessary in order for it to be taught in a public school

which makes me think you are pretty dumb

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Things taught in school should have at least a minimum of relevance in real life.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Runx3, meet most public school subjects.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Runx3, meet most public school subjects.

Having basic knowledge in a broad field of subjects is useful.

That's why kid's are taught both numerous social and scientific subjects.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Run, out of curiosity, did you opt to take Latin or was it a requirement? And was this in high school or college, or what?

While I believe that my three years of Latin at a university level helped me when it came to my grasp of linguistic development and my comprehension of English and the Romance languages, I'm not sure there's a justification for it being a required course at a high school level or below. Relevance is the key word - it's actually the crux of my problem with the U.S. approach to history curricula, as well. If you're going to teach a subject as a requirement, make sure it's taught in a way that brings home the importance of it in their own lives and in today's world.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Run, out of curiosity, did you opt to take Latin or was it a requirement? And was this in high school or college, or what?

It was either three years of compulsive Latin or French.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Zuel wrote: »
    So the family and I are about to drive 6 hours out to Abingdon, VA for a family reunion. On the way I'm going to play Spanish Coach on the DS. Given the 12 hour round trip, I'm sure I'll be bilingual at the end.
    Anyone out there speak more than one language?

Yoo-hoo.

sarukun on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Koshian wrote: »
    I speak 2nd generation immigrant cantonese

read: bad cantonese

Cantonese is a mind-fuck.

sarukun on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In many European countries Latin is offered in secondary schools. In some countries, it's compulsory, but in most it's optional. I took six years.

Platy on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't know if I'm jealous or cringing. Do you feel like you took something worth while away from your years of Latin? Or was it just something to fill a requirement?

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited May 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am rosetta stonin the shit outta French, and I am gonna take it for my 2 required "language credits" at you bee cee

french owns

I was just gonna ask. Does that actually work?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited May 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I don't know if I'm jealous or cringing. Do you feel like you took something worth while away from your years of Latin? Or was it just something to fill a requirement?

At my school, you could either take Latin or French as a third language. I took Latin as the third and French as a fourth.

I think Latin was worthwhile. It gives you a better understanding of grammar and language in general. It's also a requirement for the degree I'm aiming for, most of my fellow students have to take courses in college.

But I should probably have taken it as a fourth language (four years) instead of a third (six years). I perhaps would be better at speaking French.

Platy on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kwe:Kwe.

Hat'skwi wenniseri:io non:wa.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Conversational Spanish and a few Japanese and Korean phrases, mostly because I spent a lot of time studying their cultures.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    German I tried to take once, back-to-back with my third year of Latin, and after one week I was pretty sure my tongue was disconnected from my mouth and my brain was disconnected from everything.
    Aw, come on. German is basically like English - only spoken underwater, by a shark, into a walkie-talkie.

It's also one of the few languages whose name doesn't denote some kind of sexual act.

Platy on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    its pretty intuitive and i enjoy it

it owns doubly so if you've a mic

Us Francophones are going to grill you on this

See if your fancy learning software can really help you

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]