As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Comic Thread for Friday, May 15, 2009

scsscsscsscs Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Social Entropy++
20090515.jpg

scsscs on
«13456

Posts

  • Options
    scsscsscsscs Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Meh.

    scsscs on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Haha, I like this one.

    Moriveth on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm just...

    Is this a thing that exists?

    AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    made me chuckle

    Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    dude needs a nap

    Tasteticle on

    Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    I'm just...

    Is this a thing that exists?

    Yes, its called Zune Pass and its actually really cool. I use it and have about 40 gigs of music.

    Bucketman on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bucketman wrote: »
    AMP'd wrote: »
    I'm just...

    Is this a thing that exists?

    Yes, its called Zune Pass and its actually really cool. I use it and have about 40 gigs of music.

    But will your music be obliterated?

    AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You do get an infinite amount of music though, don't you? There's that.
    Oh heck yeah I still have orange juice in my bottle!

    Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Actually this Zune Pass thing sounds pretty rad
    As an alternative to Microsoft Points, the Zune Pass is a subscription service that allows users to pay a flat monthly fee of US$14.99 (as of November 2008). Zune Pass subscribers can download unlimited music from the Zune Marketplace. Microsoft has also added some television shows from major networks such as NBC and FOX. Zune Pass downloads cannot be burned to audio CD unless purchased, and become unplayable if the subscription lapses, or if in the future Microsoft should decide to discontinue the service. The Zune pass allows for 3 Zunes to share the downloaded DRM content as well as the content to be downloaded on up to 3 computers.[53] A 14-day free Zune Pass is made available upon creating a Zune account. As of November, 2008, Zune Pass subscribers are also able to keep 10 songs per month. This is offered in the form of a 10-song credit each month that doesn't rollover. The songs can be purchased as DRM-free MP3 files, when available.

    Considering it's a buck a song for iTunes, this is pretty competitive.

    Tasteticle on

    Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah if you stop paying for it then it stops letting you play the music or use it or anything, and deletes itself off your harddrive after awhile.

    Only thing I dislike about it is that its got so much DRM that it dosen't work with Auidosurf.

    Bucketman on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Zune Pass thing seems alright

    I'd be pretty annoyed if it got shut down, though

    Moriveth on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    the 10 free songs a month thing is really nice, and also kinda new. I always forget to use them.

    Bucketman on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    10 songs a month is nice though, you get all the songs you want, and you just need to purchase one album a month.

    Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The Zune Pass thing seems alright

    I'd be pretty annoyed if it got shut down, though

    Even if it does shut down, assuming you grabbed 10 songs a month, you ultimately payed 1.50 for each of them, and on top of that had unlimited access to everything else. To be honest I stop listening to most of the shit I download a couple months afterwards. I hang on to the best ones though.

    Tasteticle on

    Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The Zune Pass thing seems alright

    I'd be pretty annoyed if it got shut down, though

    Even if it does shut down, assuming you grabbed 10 songs a month, you ultimately payed 1.50 for each of them, and on top of that had unlimited access to everything else. To be honest I stop listening to most of the shit I download a couple months afterwards. I hang on to the best ones though.

    Hmm.

    It might be worth subscribing to it if I got a Zune anyway.

    Moriveth on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Koshian wrote: »
    this service would be impractical to me, as I'm intensely paranoid about my music collection

    like, I still mostly buy cds and anything I acquire digitally is drm-free and immediately burned to a backup cd

    And then run to the window, so you can scream at the children gallivanting on your lawn?

    Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Koshian wrote: »
    this service would be impractical to me, as I'm intensely paranoid about my music collection

    like, I still mostly buy cds and anything I acquire digitally is drm-free and immediately burned to a backup cd

    And then run to the window, so you can scream at the children gallivanting on your lawn?

    Yeah, God forbid anyone actually wants to own things they pay for!

    ASimPerson on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man I can't count the number of times I forgot to back up my music before reformatting.

    Tasteticle on

    Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I decided to give this Zune thing a shot, and the link to the Zune software download is dead. This doesn't inspire me with much confidence towards it.

    Moriveth on
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    To me, paying more then once for something is mad.

    Of course I use Netflixs, and I can see how they could do the idea with music.

    Highfire on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Also it just occurred to me that this is like an MMO subscription except for shit that you will actually have a use for.

    Tasteticle on

    Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    Actually this Zune Pass thing sounds pretty rad
    As an alternative to Microsoft Points, the Zune Pass is a subscription service that allows users to pay a flat monthly fee of US$14.99 (as of November 2008). Zune Pass subscribers can download unlimited music from the Zune Marketplace. Microsoft has also added some television shows from major networks such as NBC and FOX. Zune Pass downloads cannot be burned to audio CD unless purchased, and become unplayable if the subscription lapses, or if in the future Microsoft should decide to discontinue the service. The Zune pass allows for 3 Zunes to share the downloaded DRM content as well as the content to be downloaded on up to 3 computers.[53] A 14-day free Zune Pass is made available upon creating a Zune account. As of November, 2008, Zune Pass subscribers are also able to keep 10 songs per month. This is offered in the form of a 10-song credit each month that doesn't rollover. The songs can be purchased as DRM-free MP3 files, when available.

    Considering it's a buck a song for iTunes, this is pretty competitive.

    Exactly. The 10-credit per month addition makes it a crazy deal. If you buy songs anyway, why not pay $5 to download and try out unlimited shit. You could still just buy songs on their own if you want. How is $5 more for unlimited songs a bad thing?

    Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I managed to find a copy of the zune software from a link that isn't broken, but I can't install it because the microsoft updater program isn't updated to version 3.1 or something.

    And the link to that program is broken as well.

    Moriveth on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    They should've made a comic about this shit:

    Stan Bush's "The Touch", remade for Transformers 2.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3_EXxwDpq0

    Who wants to bet this is the version Guitar Hero gets? I fucking hate marketing teams.

    Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    HOORAY

    Tasteticle on

    Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Since I have a calculator handy I was curious to see how long it would take at 15 dollars a month to reach the comparative ipod value of $30,000.

    Just a bit over 166 years.

    Blake T on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Since I have a calculator handy I was curious to see how long it would take at 15 dollars a month to reach the comparative ipod value of $30,000.

    Just a bit over 166 years.

    why would you fill your ipod entirely with music that is retarded

    Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Since I have a calculator handy I was curious to see how long it would take at 15 dollars a month to reach the comparative ipod value of $30,000.

    Just a bit over 166 years.

    why would you fill your ipod entirely with music that is retarded

    Don't ask me man ask the Zune guys.

    Blake T on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Legacy wrote: »
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    Actually this Zune Pass thing sounds pretty rad
    As an alternative to Microsoft Points, the Zune Pass is a subscription service that allows users to pay a flat monthly fee of US$14.99 (as of November 2008). Zune Pass subscribers can download unlimited music from the Zune Marketplace. Microsoft has also added some television shows from major networks such as NBC and FOX. Zune Pass downloads cannot be burned to audio CD unless purchased, and become unplayable if the subscription lapses, or if in the future Microsoft should decide to discontinue the service. The Zune pass allows for 3 Zunes to share the downloaded DRM content as well as the content to be downloaded on up to 3 computers.[53] A 14-day free Zune Pass is made available upon creating a Zune account. As of November, 2008, Zune Pass subscribers are also able to keep 10 songs per month. This is offered in the form of a 10-song credit each month that doesn't rollover. The songs can be purchased as DRM-free MP3 files, when available.

    Considering it's a buck a song for iTunes, this is pretty competitive.

    Exactly. The 10-credit per month addition makes it a crazy deal. If you buy songs anyway, why not pay $5 to download and try out unlimited shit. You could still just buy songs on their own if you want. How is $5 more for unlimited songs a bad thing?

    This is the way I look at it. Some people say its the worst thing in the world and is the biggest rip off.

    Heh, whatever dude, I just downloaded 4 whole albums on a whim from wifi while you were babbling. ;P

    Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    So I managed to find a copy of the zune software from a link that isn't broken, but I can't install it because the microsoft updater program isn't updated to version 3.1 or something.

    And the link to that program is broken as well.

    Works fine for me.

    Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, I think my computer is hosed.

    Moriveth on
  • Options
    LeviantLeviant Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    news post is awesome

    magic_cover.jpg

    Leviant on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    gabe draws a mean unicorn

    bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Microsoft's Laptop Hunter ads (one, two, three, and four) must be doing quite well, because what Microsoft started off as a price attack on Macs seems to have transcended over to the online music store business. Sure, Microsoft doesn't refer to it as the Apple Tax this time around, but the company still makes a point to use price as the main factor on its Zune Pass (Flash required) website. Microsoft has put Wes Moss, Certified Financial Planner, to work in telling everyone why the Zune Pass makes more sense than purchases from the iTunes store. Notice that the Zune Marketplace (our review) isn't mentioned at all; it's only about the Zune Pass. I've embedded the video below:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ExogURaeI&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Farstechnica.com%2Fmicrosoft%2Fnews%2F2009%2F05%2Fmicrosofts-next-apple-price-attack-zune-pass-vs-itunes.ars&feature=player_embedded

    Moss compares $30,000 for iTunes to $15 for the Zune Pass. So where does Microsoft get the $30,000 number? Well, seeing as the 120GB iPod appears in the ad, I'm thinking the company is estimating each song at about 4MB, which really isn't much of an exaggeration. Of course, it's not exactly $15 versus $30,000. The $15 is a monthly fee, so you're likely going to be paying more if you plan on playing music for more than a month. That said, it would take you 166 years and 8 months to shell out $30,000 for the Zune Pass; many of us won't be living that long.

    As of November 2008, the Zune Pass allows its users to keep any 10 songs per month. In other words, if you wanted 30,000 songs for keeps, just like the iTunes Store, you would have to wait 250 years. The cost would be a whopping $45,000, however. In other words, it's only really worth it if you're OK with the fact that you have to keep paying the monthly fee to keep access to the songs that you don't yet own. Otherwise, iTunes (or any other à la carte model) is the way to go.

    The ad does make a point, but I doubt it's going to be one that resonates with many. Those who choose the legal path tend to prefer purchasing their songs upfront, instead of paying a monthly fee. Still, the ad is straightforward enough that it will accomplish Microsoft's goal: get the word out there about the Zune Pass. It's definitely not easy to break the iPod + iTunes trend, especially when the online music store just keeps on dominating, and Microsoft is going to need a lot more than this new Zune Pass website to do it.

    Brolo on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    people pay money for music? what is this the stone age or something?

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    1) there's no zune in canada, is ther?

    2) would there be a way to transfer my itunes purchases to itunes if i should get one?

    Meissnerd on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like the second panel. He is so unenthusiastic about infinity dollars.

    Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So it's $15 a month to have access to all music and then if you stop paying you lose all that music?

    Henroid on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    it's not all that complicated

    TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Metzger Meister on
Sign In or Register to comment.