As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tony Hawk: Ride - Giant Skateboard Peripheral of Doom

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 was great. I bought it on the Dreamcast which is arguably the best port of the game available.

There were others? THPS2 was so good I didn't realize I needed to move on any more from there.

;)

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    They can use whatever peripherals and inputs they like, but if you have performing typical THPS 'zany' antics at the behest of Bam Margera and the Jackass crew, then no. Bad.

Hell, the thought of trying to pull of a THPS combo on this, assuming it's meant to function like a skateboard at all, is a nightmare.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    3 was my favourite by far. It was my Gamecube Launch game.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So Activision basically tells those dudes who ported THPS2 to the iPhone they don't want people getting it confused with this.

WITH THIS!

Also, what was the name of that arcade skateboarding game that had a board and you did left and right movements to pull off tricks?

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm now expecting the next Madden game to ship with a giant plastic linebacker who smashes into you every time you get tackled.

Dear Activision: The reason I play skateboarding games is not to learn how to skate, it's because there's no way in hell an unco-ordinated spastic person such as myself can stay balanced on a rolling hunk of wood and plastic for more than a second and a half.

It's the same reason I play Call Of Duty instead of joining the fucking Army.

I do predict that the price markdowns on this clusterfuck will put those for Guitar Hero Aerosmith to shame.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Poor Tony. Suffering from an identity crisis again.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    This is an exceptionally impressively terrible idea.

Cosigned. I feel like it should be an article from the Onion.

I'm pretty sure we all made "olol Tony Hawk shipping with giant plastic skateboard" jokes two years ago when Activision started ramping up its Guitar Hero action, and look where we are today. :|

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    what the fuck activision

like we need another hunk of plastic to store

it is playable with out the board right? not that it matters, proving ground sucked so hard i have pretty much given up on the whole franchise

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    This has the Steel Battalion Syndrome written all over it.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    So Activision basically tells those dudes who ported THPS2 to the iPhone they don't want people getting it confused with this.

WITH THIS!

Also, what was the name of that arcade skateboarding game that had a board and you did left and right movements to pull off tricks?

Ollie King? It was the one by sega which was JSRF with skateboards.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm clearly in the minority but I really dig this. I think the best part of it is its not Neversoft, who went from a Tony Hawk farm to one of the 3 or 4 Guitar Hero farms.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Shady3011 wrote: »

WITH THIS!

Ollie King? It was the one by sega which was JSRF with skateboards.

Top Skater was actually what I was thinking about.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I guess it could be good. I just don't get how it works. If anyone jumps on that thing it's going to snap. if they don't want people to jump on it they're crazy. I need to see it in action.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    And apparently, GTTV just confirmed that you can only play the game with the skateboard controller. I ... don't know about all this.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tony Hawk games starting suffering once they became Bam Magera Presents Tony Hawk's Jackass!

Cristoval on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    And apparently, GTTV just confirmed that you can only play the game with the skateboard controller. I ... don't know about all this.

another great example of them doing it wrong

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Corbius wrote: »
    No. Wrong Answer. Exactly what I DON'T want with a Tony Hawk game.
    I'd lime just about every response in this thread, but this one pretty much captures my thoughts to a tee.

It seems like they figure "welp, we can't out-Skate Skate, so we'll go in a completely different direction". Too bad, really. The guys at Neversoft really did have a solid product there for a while. THPS 1-4, THUG and Project 8 were all really solid games. The rest were Jackass-infused garbage.

Oh well, looks like I'll be holding on to my copy of Skate for a long time to come.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tony Hawk-

a once-great franchise that has lost its way. Like much of the rest of Activision's lineup.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It really is a shame - I remember the feeling I got when I played the first THPS on a demo station at a Target years ago. It was like a light bulb went off in my head; "holy shit, why didn't anyone think of doing this sooner?" The gameplay was genius, but more importantly, the controls were absolutely spot-on.

They spawned plenty of knock offs, but THPS was the reigning king for so long. It's just sad to see such a once-proud franchise turned into liquid shit like this, jesus. The guys at Black Box must be laughing their balls off right now.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    All these years and there still isn't a real ollie animation in Tony Hawk games.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, if nothing else Activision has balls. Like others have said, this is either going to be really good or really, really bad.

I know some people compare this to Guitar Hero/Rock Band, but at least the transition from real to plastic could sort of be envisioned with little difficulty. This thing though? How are you going to do jumps, grabs, grinds, etc?

And damn, this part is going to make me sound like a cliche gamer, but I'm not sure I want to do that much work. It's going to have to walk a really fine line between making you feel like a skater, and making you feel like you should just go out and skate.

How far in development is the game? The graphics aren't that impressive so far.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

Activision learned exactly the wrong lesson from the success of Guitar Hero/Rock Band/Wii Fit.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    like I said in the other thread

I may be the only person on earth interested in this and wanting to learn more.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh, I'm definitely interested, albiet morbidly.

I honestly stopped playing Tony Hawk games at around 3, so this isn't exactly a deal breaker for me. But I would like to see how they plan on making it work.

But really, this whole peripheral craze has just got to stop.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    they need to release it bundled with the peripheral at 59.99.

they might take a hit on it, but that would be the best way to get it into homes, and at that point you could use it for other games, and those games would be more likely to sell to people that have the board already.

that said, they're probably not gonna do that.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Incidentally, the DS version of Proving Ground is actually pretty good.
    Much more like the old PS1 games.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It seems that Activision is hellbent on making sure every game in your entire library is accompanied by some sort of special peripheral.

By the end of it we'll all have a dozen plastic guitars, three sets of drums, twenty microphones, four turntables, two skateboards and, probably, at least one large inflatable woman.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I only need two turntables and a microphone.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I only want two turntables and a microphone.

Because that's where it's at, you see.

goddammit.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    These are the jokes.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cristoval wrote: »
    I only need two turntables and a microphone.

Thanks to DJ Hero, you'll get at least one.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ugh.

How do you push/Mongo? Do you have bend over and put your hand on the board to do any sort of grabs, like the video suggests?

And what the fuck happens when the inevitable mission occurs when there's a character standing off to the side, yelling out complicated combos for you to try and pull off on a pipe, on a time limit?
    A god damn lot of broken peripherals, that's what.

This'll be a big mistake.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Whoa what

Suddenly I'm interested in a DS Tony Hawk game.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Whoa what

Suddenly I'm interested in a DS Tony Hawk game.

I mean, there's still some stupid story tacked-on, but it has a timed mode with different objectives in various areas exactly like THPS2.

No free-roaming cities, off-board sections, random stunts or anything like that.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I really wish they would just reach back and put THPS4 on the PSP.

God, I would buy it so hard.

On a lighter note, with Activision's current trend with Guitar Hero, DJ Hero and now Tony Hawk: Ride, I for one cannot wait for Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 3.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Unrelated: Man, the THPS2 soundtrack was so great.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Visti wrote: »
    Unrelated: Man, the THPS2 soundtrack was so great.

All four of the first THPS games were guilty of having amazing soundtracks.

In fact, licensed soundtracks on extreme sports games in general were pretty damn amazing in the PS1/PS2 era.

Also with kickass soundtracks: Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX, Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2, MTV Sports: Pure Ride, Thrasher: Skate and Destroy, and finally Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 1, which has the best licensed soundtrack of any non-music game as far as I'm concerned.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I really wish they would just reach back and put THPS4 on the PSP.

God, I would buy it so hard.

On a lighter note, with Activision's current trend with Guitar Hero, DJ Hero and now Tony Hawk: Ride, I for one cannot wait for Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 3.

Then EA will see the ridiculously high sales from their competitor's games, figure the peripheral is what's doing it (which it kind of would be, but more from morbid curiosity than actual playability), and release something for the Fight Night series that punches you in the face. In fact, they could make a combination peripheral, so you have the punch-to-face action from Fight Night, studs-to-shins from Fifa, stick-to-the-gut from NHL, and the giant plastic linebacker for Madden that was mentioned earlier...

To any staff at EA who happen to read this : NO. Just NO. Don't even THINK about doing this.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Except EA backed Harmonix, who went on to do Rock Band to compete with Guitar Hero.

And Rock Band wipes the fucking floor with Guitar Hero and pisses all over its remains.

So I would probably check out these injury peripherals from EA.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MandresMandres Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I for one cannot wait for Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 3.

Me either!

smartcyclePA0807_468x363.jpg

Mandres on