As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metaplace Open Beta

peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
Raph Koster's new community building social MMO metaplace went Open Beta yesterday. You could call it a 2d Second Life that runs in your browser or a Habbo Hotel with more freedom and customizability. There aren't that many subscribers yet, so you get to hang out with the devs listening to live streaming concerts. 8-)

The build tools are really user friendly. If you've played the Sims or Transport Tycoon deluxe (it does terrain deformation), you'll feel right at home. You can import images from the web, render isometric sprites from Google warehouse models or upload images from your hard drive. You get your own world of a limited size to build in for free, unlike SL.

If anyone joins up, feel free to add peter_devore as a friend, that's me. I would upload some pictures if photobucket wasn't such a dick. I've created a little Penny Arcade place here, maybe you'll catch me on there tomorrow.

peterdevore on

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Have furries ruined it yet?

This is a serious question.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It's only been in Open Beta for a day, not much chance for it. No cat ears or fox tails spotted yet, just the default avatars. It's not one continuous big world, but a lot of small worlds run by players, so if it really bothers you you could hole up in your private castle and never meet anyone. Shall I PM Cynic for some expert opinion?

peterdevore on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It's only been in Open Beta for a day, not much chance for it. No cat ears or fox tails spotted yet, just the default avatars. It's not one continuous big world, but a lot of small worlds run by players, so if it really bothers you you could hole up in your private castle and never meet anyone. Shall I PM Cynic for some expert opinion?

You shouldn't tell him or any of his kind about this thing.

Those people basically ruin every online environment ever.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    okay, so I am trying this thing out

Haven't figured out how to add you as a friend, Peter.

Pony on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Perhaps you could start off the Furry Invasion, and by doing so, seek to control it? You could be the Pack Leader

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So, I was thinking this thing was sort of a lame SL knock-off.

But I'm going through the tutorial and there's a video of stuff you can do with it and one of the things is "fight zombie hordes"

Hmmmmmmmmm

Pony on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    To add friends you can meet them in-game or search for their profile name on the metaplace portal site and click 'add friend'. I'm currently at the concert here. There is no limit on how many worlds you can be in at the same time by the way.

The funky lounge music Dutch guy has stopped playing, now Raph is setting up a DJ stage for an other act. Some nice music was played and now the act is over.

peterdevore on