As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nightlife for One Person?

milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So basically I just finished finals and have taken some vacation from work (24 y/o). My good friends all took off on a camping trip I couldn't be a part of due to scheduling conflicts and my girlfriend is out of town with family. I've been enjoying doing absolutely nothing but video games and lounging around the last two days but somewhat feel going somewhere and being social tonight. I'm in Denver for the record.

So basically I'm looking for recommendations that wouldn't be awkward if I'm by myself. I'm strongly considering a club as there is a pretty good DJ playing downtown tonight and I could pretty well meld into a crowd there. I am however open to suggestions and all are appreciated 8-)

milehigh on

• ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Clubs are always great. Bars are a little iffy because depending on the bar it can be hard to not seem out of place by yourself, especially bars that target our age group (20 somethings). At least at the club if you felt awkward you could say your friends are up at the bar or took off early or something, if anyone was to ask.

Other than that, there isnt much else. I mean, i take it youre not out trolling for girls since you mentioned you have a girlfriend. You could try a coffee shop or something but it might be kind of hard to strike up conversations there depending on the atmosphere. If theres a poetry reading or an open mic or something it can be pretty easy as theres already a conversation peice.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Hmmm, even when I was single I found the club scene not much fun. If you're looking to hook up try online dating instead.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't see the point. Maybe one of those coffee shops where people like to talk about philosophy wouldn't be bad, but generally clubs are for people looking to hook up OR just be in a fun environment with their friends/both.
    Bars are also for people who either come with someone else or are regulars at the place and know other regulars who show up at the same time.

If there's a DJ I guess you'd have a good time if you like his work, and you might meet some new people but if you're there by yourself...I wouldn't count on it or consider if your reason for going.

Sam on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    If you're confident enough to go to a club alone and have a good time, do it. Absolutely do it. A lot of people aren't so confident and will suggest that this isn't a great idea, but if you're good at meeting people and you're up to the task, go nuts.

Usually if my normal circle of friends aren't around I'll see if anyone that I sort of know are up to anything like hitting a club or whatever. You know, the people you meet at parties and add to your facebook just 'cuz. Sometimes it's a good idea to branch out.

Nothing wrong with a night in either, but worst case scenario, if the weather's nice, it can be nice to just take a walk if you live in an area where there's a bit of a night life going on.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH