As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vegetarian Packed Lunches

SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi guys.

I'm really tired of the lunches I've been bringing to work - usually involving some combination of a noodle bowl, a piece of fruit, Cliff Bars and leftovers.

Anyone have any awesome packed lunch suggestions?

Speaker on

• Options
    EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What about bean fajitas? They keep really nicely in the fridge if you make a couple more for the days ahead and are delicious!

Edilith on
  • Options
    PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Grilled veggie wrap.

Portobello burger.

It's BBQ season baby!

Precursor on
    Quashdom.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hummus is your friend. Either make a sandwich/pita wrap, or just bring a container of hummus with some carrots/crackers/dipping implement of choice.

Similarly, cheese and crackers work great.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    wallabeeXwallabeeX Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In the land of vegetarians, salad is king.

Baby spinach greens, walnuts, goat cheese, strawberries, and some vinagrette.

wallabeeX on
  • Options
    DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There are a million ways to do pasta. If you are just using canned tomato sauce you are doing it wrong. That aside....

Here's 4 really easy 4 ingredient salads that I enjoy (add salt or some vinaigrette for seasoning if you most)

Chopped Fennel, thinly sliced Vidalia onions, fresh orange slices, extra virgin olive oil
    Shredded beets, yogurt, chopped scallions, minced dill
    Chopped boiled potatoes, avocado, yogurt, minced chives
    Sliced tomatoes, Mozzarella or parmesan, Basil, Extra virgin olive oil

Doxa on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Doxa wrote: »
    There are a million ways to do pasta. If you are just using canned tomato sauce you are doing it wrong. That aside....

Here's 4 really easy 4 ingredient salads that I enjoy (add salt or some vinaigrette for seasoning if you most)

Chopped Fennel, thinly sliced Vidalia onions, fresh orange slices, extra virgin olive oil
    Shredded beets, yogurt, chopped scallions, minced dill
    Chopped boiled potatoes, avocado, yogurt, minced chives
    Sliced tomatoes, Mozzarella or parmesan, Basil, Extra virgin olive oil

This should be a no-brainer, but a tip: if you're packing a salad for lunch, pack the liquid ingredients (vinaigrette, oil, yogurt, whatever) separately and combine right before eating unless you want a nasty-ass sogfest.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My mostly vegan/vegetarian room mate used to consume peanut butter and sliced banana sandwiches with the occasional honey quite frequently. They'd also sometimes make vegan/vegetarian risotto and cycle it in as lunch during the week, assuming you have access to a microwave or toaster at work.

The Veganonmican cook book also has a teaser list of vegan sandwiches here. My room mates seemed to like most of what they made from that book, so maybe it'll help you in your search?

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • Options
    NPNP Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Indian food

NP on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Hummus is your friend. Either make a sandwich/pita wrap, or just bring a container of hummus with some carrots/crackers/dipping implement of choice.

Hummus + Tabbouleh + Pita = DELICIOUS!

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    akuteakute Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Egg salad with bits of celery and a dash of curry.

Best. Sandwich. Ever.

akute on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How vegetarian are we talking, here? Like, vegan? Or are eggs, milk, and cheese okay? What about fish?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm also not entirely sure if you're asking about things that you can make yourself, pack in tupperware and bring to work only, or if you don't mind frozen food suggestions.

Easy things to make and bring in yourself:

Spaghetti and some sauce.

Cous cous. The thing about cous cous is that you only really need to boil water and then dump it in. So, say in the morning, if you boiled some water with some frozen spinach or broccoli, then put in the cous cous and brought it to work, then it's ok.

Beans and Rice. You can always bring in some beans and rice to go with your sides or whatnot. Zatarain's can be pretty good.

Frozen Dinners:

Celentano It's frozen vegetarian/vegan Italian food. The vegan eggplant rollettes are awesome.

I don't have a link for this, but there is some Pad Thai made by this Indian frozen food company (that makes horrible frozen Indian food, mind you) that is pretty good for frozen Pad Thai. The brand name it used to go under is Green Guru. I think they've changed packaging and is now under Tandoor Chef.

Amy's has a lot of frozen dinners. I don't remember any vegan ones, so I haven't really tried any, though.

There was this company that made frozen Indian food that was ok, but I can't remember the brand off the top of my head.

Also, you can bring taquitos. Those little frozen rolled taco/burrito kind of thing.

I haven't bought any frozen dinners in a while, but this thread makes me want to revisit them.

I'm also stuck in a lunch rut, so if you guys have any vegan suggestions I'd also appreciate those.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like to eat those Morningstar frozen veggie patties, just chopped up with some pasta or by themselves with a little mango pickle on top. Works for me, protein+carbs.

grungebox on
    Quail is just hipster chicken