As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cheaters (sic) Prospher! [Star Trek: D-A-C]

akuteakute Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
This is EPIC. It is the equivlent of a supreme court ruling. You know what I mean, it happens in the supreme court and then all cases or instances later down the road have the same rules applied.

Now, we have Exhibit A: Star Trek DAC, a downloadable game for the Xbox Live Marketplace, and TBA for the PlayStation Network and PCs.

Exhibit B: "Kobayashi Maru," an achievement, is unlockable only by supposedly entering a secret code. So for all those completionists out there--especially painful for the purist, or legit, completionists--you must enter a secret code.

Currently this code is still unknown, and the game was launched four days ago today. It is still currently speculation as to whether the code is simply a code, or a "cheat" code. If, however, this code is a "cheat" code, then this will make all future achievements ruled as "okay to cheat."

For example, there were cheat exploits for Guitar Hero III achievements, as well as an "intentional bug" entered for Fable II: Pub Games. These "glitches" were patched and those that cheated were even punished. If we are now going to be forced to cheat, and Microsoft allows an achievement of this nature, then all future cheaters should also be celebrated, not criminalized. Call it a Pavlov's Dog effect.

akute on

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Solo many unsupported generalizations and assumptions in your post. If I wasn't waiting or my friend to show up at a bar, I'd quote. For now, suffice to say that there's no reason this sets any "precedence", nor just because the only way to get this achievement is by ntering a code does it make it OK to cheat elsewhere

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Could hardly parse the OP here, but I will just say that I cheated the hell out of the Fable Pub games and was never "punished".

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    kaliyama: Morally okay, no. But how can Microsoft justly punish a cheater on one game if they are rewarded on another?

ChewyWaffles: Sorry if you cannot parse. While I do intend to have points when I speak, I generally have trouble getting to them. Peter Molyneux stated that he planned on punishing those that exploited the intentional Pub Games glitch in the retail version of Fable II. I suppose my reply to kaliyama should have been my thesis.

akute on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There is a difference between a button code to get an achievement (and you are meant to get it this way) and abusing exploits in a game.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's an achievement called Kobayashi Maru and you can only get it by cheating?

That's pretty awesome

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You should not be surprised that Peter Molyneux of all people said something that did not come true.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think I heard in the GiantBombcast that there are console commands to award the achievements in the PC version of Fallout 3.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yes there are. You can even award yourself the DLC achievements without owning the DLC.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The OP seems to be confusing two different meanings of the word 'cheat'.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    There's an achievement called Kobayashi Maru and you can only get it by cheating?

That's pretty awesome

Zxerol on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would be less concerned that you have to put in a code for an achievement based around a joke (does the OP know anything about Trek?), and more that "D-A-C" is kind of a cop-out for a movie-based action game.

It's fun, but I still don't know if it's 10$ worth of fun.
    Imagine a Mass Effect style Trek game. God, the idea makes me cry with joy.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    There is a difference between a button code to get an achievement (and you are meant to get it this way) and abusing exploits in a game.

Well supposedly the code makes your ship faster as well, but this is all just speculation I believe. I confess I do not own this arcade game, because it looks quite sub-par. I'm not even pissed off. I'm just trying to report a crazy "If, then..." relationship.

The Guitar Hero III "exploit" was done by entering in game cheat codes in an in game cheat menu.

I do think it pisses me off when developers put stupid shit in their games. Stupid shit as in coded information that we are supposed to know but we have no clues to find out. Another example of this is the ultimate weapon on FF12 that you got only by NOT opening certain chests. But I will stop here because that is a story for another thread.

Edit: 043, no I'm not a Trek fan. Not because I choose to be or because I think it's stupid or anything like that. I just never really got into it. Unfortunately I gave Star Wars my attention. That bitch Lucas sure fucked me on that one. Only thing I really can think I am a fan of ATM is The Office.

akute on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    akute wrote: »
    Edit: 043, no I'm not a Trek fan. Not because I choose to be or because I think it's stupid or anything like that. I just never really got into it. Unfortunately I gave Star Wars my attention. That bitch Lucas sure fucked me on that one. Only thing I really can think I am a fan of ATM is The Office.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The Kobayashi Maru is a test in the fictional Star Trek universe. It is a Starfleet training exercise designed to test the character of cadets in the command track at Starfleet Academy. The Kobayashi Maru test was first depicted in the opening scene of the film Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and also appears in the 2009 film Star Trek. This provided context for how the main character, Ensign (later Admiral) James T. Kirk, deals with the possibility of unwinnable situations in general, and death in particular.

Kirk "cheats" the test, and gets an commendation for "tactical thinking". You "cheat" the game and get an achievement named after the simulation.

;) It's a pretty awesome little joke.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

That's the best thing ever.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Movie-based game follows in the style of something of the movie.

This is not a bad thing at all.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wish there was an option for reporting posts that miss the fucking point in spectacularly hilarious ways.

How did you put together such an air tight prosecution without even researching the Kobayashi Maru?

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    OP needs to watch Star Trek 2.

protip:
    Kirk cheated to pass it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Or he could watch the new Star Trek, which has the same thing.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    I wish there was an option for reporting posts that miss the fucking point in spectacularly hilarious ways.

How did you put together such an air tight prosecution without even researching the Kobayashi Maru?

I read it and linked it.

If the solution for this achievement HAS SOMETHING to do with the history it is named after then that IS FINE.

If the solution for the achievement is SIMPLY a button combo that makes you fly faster, then why can nobody understand this is wrong to include in games?

Maybe you could pay more attention to this point and stop quizzing me on Star Trek and my grammar.

I play Xbox. I don't watch TV. Cut me some slack.

-OP

akute on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Developers can have achievements for anything

Microsoft only bans if you modify the console or the developer bans you for boosting achievements if they really feel like it. the achievement banning is just the tip of the iceberg, they're really banning for other things

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It would have been better if you gained the achievement by using a Gameshark or some other cheating device to fly through the game (do they even have cheating devices any more?).

slurpeepoop on