As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Mod My Xbox (or) I Need a Hobby!

akuteakute Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
Yo. I currently do one of two things, most of the time. Go to work, or go home and play 360. I have two 360s at the moment and have been dabbling in oogling at different mods on the Internet, such as adding different small LCD lights, see-through plexiglass, and whatnot. I have currently two controllers and two Xboxes.

Has anyone here dabbled in the modding hobby? Any tips on where to start, reading material, or other first steps? If you guys recommend I just jump straight into my 360 with a solder I suppose that is what I should do...or do you recommed I start somewhere smaller?

akute on

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    First let's get one thing straight. Is your 360 older than 3 years? That's how long the warranty lasts if you ever get a Red Ring of Death. You might want to put off modding it if it's still covered.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    akuteakute Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah bro my elite's warranty is almost up. I have about three more months and it doesn't matter anymore. Both of my 360s need disc drive repair, so I have just been sitting around playing arcade.

I don't advise myself to buy a modded 360 because a) I have had over five 360s breakdown from either disc drive or RRoD in the last three years, and b) personal satisfaction.

I don't mind starting small, I just don't know where TO start. Book? Tear open a controller? I'm not good with large projects, as I rarely even cook food at my house, but I believe this is something I could get into, or at best maybe start a project with my Grandfather and work on together, as he is very mechanical/carpentry tuned.

akute on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    360s are cheap enough to almost be disposable nowadays. Most of my consoles are out of warranty by the time I get them home as I like to open things up and check out what's inside. My Wii's modded, my Gamecube had a snazzy new case fitted to it, I've modded the case for my original Xbox and my 360 has been opened up to have a good play around with the innards.

Are you comfy with a soldering iron? If so then just dive straight on in, it's actually harder to break things than it seems. The first task comes in getting the 360 case open, there are plenty of guides on the internet but it can be a bit fiddly.

I wouldn't buy one of the kits, just make sure you have a set of torx screwdrivers and a really small thin screwdriver to poke the clasps off on the back with (when you come to that bit start with the power socket side, it makes things easier).

Are you going to do the case mods yourself or just simply buy a new case? If doing the mod yourself then be very careful, the 360 is easy to over-heat and you don't want to block any existing holes.

Controller modding may be a good start, why not try a d-pad replacement? Take your 360 controller apart and put in a GOOD d-pad, not only will it be good practice but it's damn useful too.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The easiest mod to do would probably be a cutaway of the case or something. You should probably buy replacement cases on eBay to practice on before you actually tear up your 360, though.

Then again, the only modding I've ever done is to drill a hole into the top of my GameCube lid and screw a metal knob in there. :lol:

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you're up for a "project" then the one I've always fancied is building myself an arcade cabinet and putting a PC inside. If your GrandFather is mechanically/carpentry orientated then he could probably get behind this much more than modding a 360.

It would, of course, cost more money.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch