As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Portable Google Calender

MishraMishra Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So We'd like to get a better calendar program at work than outlook. The issue is people don't like maintaining personal calendars and division calendars. I suggested to my boss that something similar to Google calendar where you can simply check the boxes next to peoples names and overlay the calendars would be very useful. The problem is our systems are a completely internal network. We have no access to the outside and Google's servers. So any suggestions for good stand alone calendar software?

"Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Mishra on

• Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If your business has the budget for it you can purchase google app servers I believe to run on an internal network
    A google appliance if you will.

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/collaboration.html

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Possible, but unlikely, I'll look into that though, hardware's probably out of the question a software solution would be best.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm guessing you know they can add multiple calenders in Outlook?

The easiest way is to create an AD account for the dept/division; "Accounting Calendar," then when somebody in Accounting wants to use it, they just invite Ms. Accounting Calendar. You can add the calender to Outlook by File -> Add Calendar. (something like that).

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I'm guessing you know they can add multiple calenders in Outlook?

The easiest way is to create an AD account for the dept/division; "Accounting Calendar," then when somebody in Accounting wants to use it, they just invite Ms. Accounting Calendar. You can add the calender to Outlook by File -> Add Calendar. (something like that).

It's a pain in the next when creating an entry to have to invite 4 different calender's, Plus my boss wants something that is people independent and that they don't need to think about. In addition when you bring up two monthly calender's it brings them up side by side, so you can't really see what's going on in either calendar.

Mishra on
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Moses555Moses555 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    In addition when you bring up two monthly calender's it brings them up side by side, so you can't really see what's going on in either calendar.

Right click the calendar name on the left and choose "View in Overlay Mode."

Moses555 on
    Bear down, Chicago Bears!