As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Violence may be the last refuge of the incompetent, but right now I could stab a man

AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was RightGates of SteelRegistered User regular
edited May 2009 in Social Entropy++
Columbia Pictures (Sony) successfully bid for the screen rights of the Foundation trilogy on January 15, 2009, and have contracted Roland Emmerich for direction. Emmerich and Michael Wimer will produce the screen adaptation.
Why is this man even allowed near the movie adaptation of one of the greatest science fiction trilogies‽

Antimatter on
«13

Posts

  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't know what any of that means.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This man is working on the movie adaptations of these books by Isaac Asimov

    Antimatter on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    after the debacle that was the I, Robot movie I will probably not see anything else 'based' on Asimov's works

    Usagi on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    who even knows what those books are

    ascot on
  • Options
    washoutwashout Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Haha, take the man who made independence day and give him Foundation? I can only imagine something like I Robot happening. Taking bets that he'll put Will Smith in it.

    washout on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Putting Will Smith in anything can only help really.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    who reads books

    Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    man, Independence Day is like, one of my favourite films

    ascot on
  • Options
    washoutwashout Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Usagi wrote: »
    after the debacle that was the I, Robot movie I will probably not see anything else 'based' on Asimov's works

    How the fuck do you even get from A to B. It is really difficult for me to understand. The movie had zero relevance to the book. It was really astounding.

    washout on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ascot wrote: »
    man, Independence Day is like, one of my favourite films

    god yes

    Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Guys, it's ok. He made this movie, too.
    affiche_Universal_Soldier_1991_1.jpg

    deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    washout wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    after the debacle that was the I, Robot movie I will probably not see anything else 'based' on Asimov's works

    How the fuck do you even get from A to B. It is really difficult for me to understand. The movie had zero relevance to the book. It was really astounding.

    I am Legend hardly followed the book and it was pretty good.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    was michael bay busy?

    lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This summer ... Will Smith as Hari Seldon

    JoeUser on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    washout wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    after the debacle that was the I, Robot movie I will probably not see anything else 'based' on Asimov's works

    How the fuck do you even get from A to B. It is really difficult for me to understand. The movie had zero relevance to the book. It was really astounding.

    I am Legend hardly followed the book and it was pretty good.

    I enjoyed the film version of I, Robot as a movie but it had almost nothing to do with the novel, except that it included robots, the three laws and Dr. Calvin

    if it had been called anything else I wouldn't be all nerdrage about it, to me it the title was more about marketing

    Usagi on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2009
    this guy has done some decent film work whats the big deal

    Unknown User on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »
    This summer ... Will Smith as Hari Seldon

    If anybody, Will Smith would be that guy who got Hari to build the Foudnation in the first place.

    Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Usagi wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    washout wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    after the debacle that was the I, Robot movie I will probably not see anything else 'based' on Asimov's works

    How the fuck do you even get from A to B. It is really difficult for me to understand. The movie had zero relevance to the book. It was really astounding.

    I am Legend hardly followed the book and it was pretty good.

    I enjoyed the film version of I, Robot as a movie but it had almost nothing to do with the novel, except that it included robots, the three laws and Dr. Calvin

    if it had been called anything else I wouldn't be all nerdrage about it, to me it the title was more about marketing

    I haven't seen or read I, Robot but I did both for I am Legend and I can pretty much say the same with regards to "it had almost nothing to do with the novel". It had the setting but that's pretty much it. The movie's basis in the novel is loose at best.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    this guy has done some decent film work whats the big deal

    Yeah I was looking at his films on wikipedia and thought the same thing.

    Eight Legged Freaks was really fun.

    Stationary on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »
    This summer ... Will Smith as Hari Seldon

    If anybody, Will Smith would be that guy who got Hari to build the Foudnation in the first place.

    Look, as long as I get a top 40 rap song about psychohistory, I'll be happy.

    JoeUser on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2009
    Independence day and Stargate too.


    the day after tomorrow was directed well, but it had such a crappy plot

    Unknown User on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    Independence day and Stargate too.


    the day after tomorrow was directed well, but it had such a crappy plot

    ehh, for me its because 10,000 BC was one of the worst movies i've ever sat through, ever. and this is coming from a guy with the lowest expectations in the world. i mean, i find wayans bros. movies entertaining.

    lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Usagi wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    washout wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    after the debacle that was the I, Robot movie I will probably not see anything else 'based' on Asimov's works

    How the fuck do you even get from A to B. It is really difficult for me to understand. The movie had zero relevance to the book. It was really astounding.

    I am Legend hardly followed the book and it was pretty good.

    I enjoyed the film version of I, Robot as a movie but it had almost nothing to do with the novel, except that it included robots, the three laws and Dr. Calvin

    if it had been called anything else I wouldn't be all nerdrage about it, to me it the title was more about marketing
    see, that was my reaction at first
    I was determined not to see the film because I felt it bastardized the work of a fine author

    then I realized it's just a movie and that his work is still just as good as it ever was, whether you're talking about the collection or the titular short story
    I enjoyed the film

    went through a similar reaction with Constantine
    I was all pissed off that they cast Reeves as Constantine and refused to see the abomination because I was sure they'd fuck everything up
    then a friend talked me into watching it and just appreciating it for what it was, and yeah I had fun watching it even if they butchered the character

    I just don't see the point of getting all up in arms about this shit anymore

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2009
    i didnt see 10,000 bc so i guess i dodged a bullet with that one

    Unknown User on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yeah, pretty much what Dru said

    I'll stop whining

    Usagi on
  • Options
    washoutwashout Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    washout wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    after the debacle that was the I, Robot movie I will probably not see anything else 'based' on Asimov's works

    How the fuck do you even get from A to B. It is really difficult for me to understand. The movie had zero relevance to the book. It was really astounding.

    I am Legend hardly followed the book and it was pretty good.

    I am Legend with the alternate ending followed it pretty well though.

    washout on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    lostwords wrote: »
    robothero wrote: »
    Independence day and Stargate too.


    the day after tomorrow was directed well, but it had such a crappy plot

    ehh, for me its because 10,000 BC was one of the worst movies i've ever sat through, ever. and this is coming from a guy with the lowest expectations in the world. i mean, i find wayans bros. movies entertaining.
    it was SO BAD

    good god



    antimatter, if it helps, Ridley Scott is making The Forever War.

    Faricazy on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Usagi wrote: »
    yeah, pretty much what Dru said

    I'll stop whining
    hey now, I never said you were whining ma'am
    respect knuckles, dig?

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    i didnt see 10,000 bc so i guess i dodged a bullet with that one

    killer ostriches

    its like they saw that part of dude, where's my car and decided to make a 15 minute action sequence based on it.

    also, the plot and acting of 10,000 BC was basically a stinky poop

    lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    yeah, pretty much what Dru said

    I'll stop whining
    hey now, I never said you were whining ma'am
    respect knuckles, dig?

    knuckles it is my homie


    the upside is now I have the urge to read Foundation again

    Usagi on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Usagi wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    yeah, pretty much what Dru said

    I'll stop whining
    hey now, I never said you were whining ma'am
    respect knuckles, dig?

    knuckles it is my homie


    the upside is now I have the urge to read Foundation again
    aw yeah, Asimov is the man

    I remember a few years back I was talking to this dude that claimed he really enjoyed reading sci-fi and I mentioned Asimov and dude was all, "who?"
    what the motherfuck?

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    washoutwashout Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    lostwords wrote: »
    robothero wrote: »
    i didnt see 10,000 bc so i guess i dodged a bullet with that one

    killer ostriches

    its like they saw that part of dude, where's my car and decided to make a 15 minute action sequence based on it.

    also, the plot and acting of 10,000 BC was basically a stinky poop

    Oh shit, he made 10,000BC too? That movie ranks up there as one of the most terrible ever. Wolly Mammoths in the desert building the pyramids? I mean COME ON!!

    washout on
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i saw angels and demons last night

    it was the worst movie ive seen in a theater

    Kovak on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    yeah, pretty much what Dru said

    I'll stop whining
    hey now, I never said you were whining ma'am
    respect knuckles, dig?

    knuckles it is my homie


    the upside is now I have the urge to read Foundation again
    aw yeah, Asimov is the man

    I remember a few years back I was talking to this dude that claimed he really enjoyed reading sci-fi and I mentioned Asimov and dude was all, "who?"
    what the motherfuck?

    how does that happen?

    I always though Asimov was sort of the gateway drug of sci-fi authors

    Usagi on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kovak wrote: »
    i saw angels and demons last night

    it was the worst movie ive seen in a theater

    Had you read the book?

    JoeUser on
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Kovak wrote: »
    i saw angels and demons last night

    it was the worst movie ive seen in a theater

    Had you read the book?

    no

    Kovak on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    why would you watch that crap kovaks? it was obvious it was terrible

    also now I want to reread Caves of Steel, Naked Sun, and Robots of Dawn
    relive Olivaw's antics

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    all my friends that were still in town were going to see it

    and it was like

    sit around and do nothing all night

    or go see a shitty but hopefully mildly entertaining movie

    it wasnt even mildly entertaining

    Kovak on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2009
    how much of 10k bc can be blamed on the director though, sounds like he was handed a pile of poop to begin with.

    Unknown User on
  • Options
    washoutwashout Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Usagi wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    yeah, pretty much what Dru said

    I'll stop whining
    hey now, I never said you were whining ma'am
    respect knuckles, dig?

    knuckles it is my homie


    the upside is now I have the urge to read Foundation again
    aw yeah, Asimov is the man

    I remember a few years back I was talking to this dude that claimed he really enjoyed reading sci-fi and I mentioned Asimov and dude was all, "who?"
    what the motherfuck?

    how does that happen?

    I always though Asimov was sort of the gateway drug of sci-fi authors
    I think it happens when someone is just full of shit and has no idea of what sci-fi even is. Basically they just read a bunch of science fantasy, Bio of a Space Tyrant or something.

    washout on
Sign In or Register to comment.