As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC Comics Solicitations - August 2009

KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Graphic Violence
Brought to you by IGN

Peter & Max: A Fables Novel HC
dc-in-august-2009-20090518001019547.jpg
Written by Bill Willingham
Art and cover by Steve Leialoha

Set in the imaginative realm of the award-winning comic book series FABLES, PETER & MAX is a stand-alone prose novel – the first ever published starring FABLES characters!

Long ago, in the deepest dark of The Black Forest, two brothers – Peter Piper and his older brother Max - encountered ominous forces that changed them both irreparably. Thus begins an epic tale of sibling rivalry, magic, music and revenge that spans medieval times to the present day, when their deadly conflict surfaces in the placid calm of modern day Fabletown.

PETER & MAX: A FABLES NOVEL features the deft prose of award-winning comic book writer Bill Willingham and lush ink spot illustrations from FABLES artist Steve Leialoha. The novel also reveals secrets of some of the regular FABLES series cast members including Bigby Wolf, Frau Totenkinder and Bo Peep. Included as well is an 8-page bonus sequential comic story by Willingham and Leialoha that serves as a bridge to the FABLES graphic novel collections. And don't miss the special FABLES #1/PETER & MAX PREVIEW on sale in July!

Advance-solicited; on sale October 7 - 400 pg, 6" x 9", B&W, $22.99 US
MATURE READERS

KyleWPeterson on

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lots of huge events:

-Blackest Night kicks into full swing, and the tie-ins all start
    -A new Superman cross-over between 5 books, that runs only for the month (wonder how they'll collect it?)
    -The initial arcs for the new Bat series start to wrap up.

I do find it odd that there are almost no trades or hardcovers coming out.

All in all, looks good but expensive.

HadjiQuest on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, the new Animal Man mini sounds like crap.

Robos A Go Go on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fables novel...

OH MY GOD!

Newsarama link. Because IGN sucks balls.
    FINAL CRISIS AFTERMATH: RUN! #4
    Written by Matthew Sturges
    Art by Freddie E. Williams II
    Cover by KAKO
    In this issue, someone dies! Actually, in this issue, tons of people die! If you thought RUN! was full of trashy humor and unnecessary violence before this issue – you ain’t seen nothing yet! We cause more property damage and hideous disfigurement in the first half of this issue than any other comic you’ll read this year (besides RUN! #5 and #6, because those are pretty ridiculous too). Join in the fun!
    On sale August 5 • 4 of 6 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
    Jesus Christ. Why?
    FINAL CRISIS AFTERMATH: DANCE #4

... All-new t-shirts are 110% bio-friendly; meaning that they actually leave the environment better than it was before you bought the shirt. Can the JLA say that about their merchandise?
    hahaha. Nice touch.

I'm interested in Doom Patrol. After Annihilation and Reign In Hell I'm willing to give anything Giffen writes a shot.

Finally, this:
    fabl_cv87.jpg

Crimsondude on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, the new Animal Man mini sounds like crap.

Come on, don't you want to read an Animal Man story where he cheats on his wife with Starfire and fights Bloodrage and Prismatik, two villains guaranteed to be the sensational character finds of 2009? And to top it off, Animal Man's powers are acting weird! That's totally innovative and fresh!

Munch on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is that a foreshadow of Bufkin kicking Baba Yaga's ass? Damn right it is

That Fables Novel sounds tits. But that reminds me, when is the Cinderella mini coming out? That's one I'm really looking forward too, because Cindy is one of the best Fables out there.

Also, the cover to Booster Gold #23:
    boog_cv23_solicit_r1.jpg
    Awesome.

TexiKen on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If there isn't a cut-out application form to join the real fan club I will be pissed off.

Wildcat on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's a solicit for Titans issue something or other, and apparently, someone is going to die. Shocking, I know.

Fencingsax on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Ha ha. I like the new Flash: Rebirth cover. Girdered!

DMAC on
    edited May 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    There's a solicit for Titans issue something or other, and apparently, someone is going to die. Shocking, I know.

DC really needs to learn how to tell new stories with some of its characters.

Munch on
  • LilithiumLilithium __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't know, DC is doing better in character development than Marvel in some regards..

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lilithium wrote: »
    I don't know, DC is doing better in character development than Marvel in some regards..
    I think what Munch means is that it's better to tell a story with a character than to use the character for a cheap, pointless, meaningless death.

Fencingsax on
    edited May 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I think what Munch means is that it's better to tell a story with a character than to use the character for a cheap, pointless, meaningless death.

Well, yes, but I was also referring to the fact that DC seems to endlessly retread a lot of stories with its characters.

How many times have we seen Batman disappear, with others struggling to fill his shoes? I can think of three off the top of my head. How many times have we seen the classic New Teen Titans roster come together to form a new team? How many times have Animal Man's powers gone crazy and stopped working correctly? How many times have we seen a Titan die? How many times has their roster been shattered and rebuilt with a recruitment drive? How often has Superman fled Earth for one reason or another?

Etc.

Does Marvel do it too? Sure. Look at One More Day. Or Mighty Avengers. Or even Planet Hulk which, while good, was retreading old ground, albeit in a new way. But I feel that, generally speaking, Marvel's better about trying to bring their characters to new places and situations.

Munch on