As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STS-125

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The new Fine Guidance Sensor 2 has passed all functional tests from the ground. The second of the two replacement battery modules is also reporting in the green. So far, all work on this servicing mission has been successful.

Also, you'd totally hit it with a robotic arm.
    jsc2008e013387+megan+mcarthur.jpg

Weaver on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    she probably already has a dozen astronaut cocks inside of her right now though

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I just hope we come up with a way to get things into and out of orbit more cost effectively in the near future. Think space blows your mind now? Just wait until we are making daily trips up.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    So the EVA on Friday, my step-son was home from school that day, and I was tracking the EVA on NASA TV, and the free-floating astronaut was prepping equipment in the cargo bay. They had a really great, daylight view of him from one of the cargo bay cameras and I forget who it was but somebody asked him to wave at the camera, so I get my boy (who just turned six) to look and he sees a man in space "waving at him".

He gets the biggest grin possible on his face and slowly puts his hand up and waves back and oh man that is the fucking coolest thing ever

Makes me wonder what sort of attitude his generation will have towards space travel, having grown up with it in a totally different context then anyone else
    this is really something I've always wondered too. For me, space is still one of the only things that can inspire complete and utter awe from me.

but how will my children react? will they still be filled with wonder at the vastness of space? will they go "holy shit" every time a giant hi-res picture of a nebula shows up?

Especially given that the general public attitude towards space can barely be described as "permissive" and public interest/funding seems like it's at an all time low

My close pals dad is the head at Langley research center and apparently NASA is taking a 5 year hiatus from launches and all sorts of sad jazz

Supposedly we intend to be on Mars by the late 2020s, though.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Space is so scary.

If I had to do a space walk I would just be crying the entire time.

Cry and snotting so hard that the tears and snot would hang around my head and cause me to suffocate.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sissy.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    doublehawk00doublehawk00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    bueno is the best nickname

doublehawk00 on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm pretty sure knowledge of space and space travel is still pretty niche.

I'd say my 4-7 year old cousins have the same general ideas about space and what we've done there as I did when I was that age. Maybe even less.

Because frankly, in those 15-18 years nasa's been pretty much marginalized.

edit: It's not like cell phones and the internet, which they are aware of and interact with almost/every day. Where as when I was young these things were pretty big leaps.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    So the EVA on Friday, my step-son was home from school that day, and I was tracking the EVA on NASA TV, and the free-floating astronaut was prepping equipment in the cargo bay. They had a really great, daylight view of him from one of the cargo bay cameras and I forget who it was but somebody asked him to wave at the camera, so I get my boy (who just turned six) to look and he sees a man in space "waving at him".

He gets the biggest grin possible on his face and slowly puts his hand up and waves back and oh man that is the fucking coolest thing ever

Makes me wonder what sort of attitude his generation will have towards space travel, having grown up with it in a totally different context then anyone else
    this is really something I've always wondered too. For me, space is still one of the only things that can inspire complete and utter awe from me.

but how will my children react? will they still be filled with wonder at the vastness of space? will they go "holy shit" every time a giant hi-res picture of a nebula shows up?

Especially given that the general public attitude towards space can barely be described as "permissive" and public interest/funding seems like it's at an all time low

My close pals dad is the head at Langley research center and apparently NASA is taking a 5 year hiatus from launches and all sorts of sad jazz

Supposedly we intend to be on Mars by the late 2020s, though.

:|

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Are you making that face at me or the five year hiatus

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    can't it be both
    the hiatus

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I like being able to occasionally get the inside skinny on whats going on around NASA. I got my bud to ask him about all the bullshit we saw in that secret space film where I learned about the goddamn space serpents, too, and evidently he just looked at him, deadpan, and said "I sure haven't heard anything about UFOs."

And I know this got announced but he got my friend pretty stoked about the new shuttles, apparently they're going to be wingless and traditional rocket-that-sheds-pieces style

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Every time that Atlantis passes over the northern coast of Madagascar, I'm all

"SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING!"

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've developed such an emotional attachment to this crew; if something goes wrong during landing I am going to be completely inconsolable.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    This entire mission really deserves a lot more respect and recognition than it has been receiving.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    This entire mission really deserves a lot more respect and recognition than it has been receiving.

fine, fine, I'll post in your thread some more

dang, no need to be so pushy

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    wide field camera 3, along with the HSTs newly restored infra-red spectrum ability, is going to bring us the best pictures of deep space ever

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

To be honest if it wasn't for SE I wouldn't have even really known anything was happening.

It seems like NASA doesn't really get much press attention. I don't think I've even heard any mention of it on the news here at all, aside from one or two articles in the online paper. But I don't really watch the news, so I can't say if it's been shown or not.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Space missions aren't really attractive to the press anymore unless they're exploding space missions.

Which is a real shame.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    My point is, no-one seems to care that holy fucking shit there are dudes in space.

That makes me :(

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, we should put a man on mars like we did with the moon.

Like soon

Fucking Obama should be all "We choose to go to mars this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy but because they are hard."

Too bad we have the stupid economy to fix...

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ah shit Pony signal has been lit

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    FUCK

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    There is an attractive white lady in space. CNN should be all over this.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
  • Options
    edited May 2009
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    outstanding thread

good show, weaver

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks. It saddens me that the next time we'll see a launch vehicle dock with the HST will be to drop it into an atmospheric burn. Especially when it has given us, before the upgrades of this mission, such images as:
    hs-2003-28-a-large_web.jpg
    hs-2004-28-b-large_web.jpg
    hs-2004-45-a-large_web.jpg
    hs-2004-46-a-large_web.jpg

Weaver on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I had no idea they were going to finish off Hubble

I grew up in Orlando, watching space shuttle launches with my naked eye every time they happened, so I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the space program

I'm sad :(

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks. It saddens me that the next time we'll see a launch vehicle dock with the HST will be to drop it into an atmospheric burn. Especially when it has given us, before the upgrades of this mission, such images as:
    hs-2003-28-a-large_web.jpg
    hs-2004-28-b-large_web.jpg
    hs-2004-45-a-large_web.jpg
    hs-2004-46-a-large_web.jpg

What is the first image of?

Is that a galaxy with like a dust ring or something?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

This is so sweet. Awesome, Weaver.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    won't there be a more powerful telescope to replace hubble after it's done anyway

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    cramcram Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The James Webb telescope is scheduled for ~2014, but it's an infrared telescope.

cram on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    s20_5e006592.jpg

More great photos from the mission here.

Weaver on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Looks like boobs have funny properties in space.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Meiz wrote: »
    Looks like boobs have funny properties in space.

They don't seem to be doing much of anything

Other then being perky

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Atlantis has released Hubble and is now 14,000 feet from the telescope. In one hour the orbiter will conduct an orbit adjustment burn to lower its altitude to 160 nautical miles. NASA TV will have video from the shuttle again in about five minutes.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Holy fuck those photos.

Man.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    also, an astronaut is twittering as it happens - his username is astro_mike

That's Mike Massamino, who will also be filming the landing of Atlantis from inside the flight deck, and was given special dispensation from his Catholic priest to miss church yesterday.

The priest said it was ok because Mike was

8-)

getting closer to God.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Holy fuck those photos.

Man.

But as usual, the comments make me angry.
    Sure it looks cool, but at what cost? I wonder how many generations of countries living in disgusting poverty could have been fed in exchange for one NASA launch. To me, this isn't proof of American "superiority", but more so arrogance. Pretty good look at how America prefers to spend millions to reinforce its image of technological superiority in the world rather than help those in need.

Ugh why am I still reading them?

Tweaked_Bat_ on