As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 5/20/09: Someone dies tonight....

• Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Invincible
    Oh Cecil, will you ever learn?

This as usually was pretty good. My only complaint would be it felt extremely light. I feel like it was only like 19 or 20 pages of story, unless I'm just being incompetent, and that's leaving aside no few of those pages were devoted to one or two punches each.

As far as Conquest
    Since Kirkman keeps hyping him up, I wonder if he's the Viltrumite version of Allen, going from planet to planet trying to get the various agents up to par. He seems to be spending a lot of time trying to egg Invincible on, above and beyond the crazy villain who likes to fight shtick.

As to your spoiler
    Cecil is still the only stereotypical government asshole I've actually agreed with. The Invincible world has been over run something like a half dozen times in the last 2 years. At that point you really do have to do anything you can to defend yourself, pleasantries be damned.

werehippy on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    Invincible
    Oh Cecil, will you ever learn?

This as usually was pretty good. My only complaint would be it felt extremely light. I feel like it was only like 19 or 20 pages of story, unless I'm just being incompetent, and that's leaving aside no few of those pages were devoted to one or two punches each.

As far as Conquest
    Since Kirkman keeps hyping him up, I wonder if he's the Viltrumite version of Allen, going from planet to planet trying to get the various agents up to par. He seems to be spending a lot of time trying to egg Invincible on, above and beyond the crazy villain who likes to fight shtick.

As to your spoiler
    Cecil is still the only stereotypical government asshole I've actually agreed with. The Invincible world has been over run something like a half dozen times in the last 2 years. At that point you really do have to do anything you can to defend yourself, pleasantries be damned.
    Oh, I don't blame Cecil at all, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Mark kill him after what he's done this issue.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Did anyone pick up Herogasm? I saw it on the shelf in my local comic book store and rifled through it. It was exactly what I thought it might be and decided not to pick it up.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I finally picked up my books this week. Supergirl was good again. I'm really enjoying this new team on the book.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    kfrooster wrote: »
    Did anyone pick up Herogasm? I saw it on the shelf in my local comic book store and rifled through it. It was exactly what I thought it might be and decided not to pick it up.

I read it, it was interesting. I like the concept that all the heroes lie to the world about a global threat so they can go off and have a weekend of unbridled hedonism. It really banks on the idea that superheroes, dressing the way they are and doing what they do, are all really huge deviant perverts.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Alan Moore did it better in Top Ten, and if you go over to S_D they have an issue that is so much better than Garth Ennis' (now annoying) take on superheroes.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Alan Moore did it better in Top Ten, and if you go over to S_D they have an issue that is so much better than Garth Ennis' (now annoying) take on superheroes.

It's hard to get excited about Alan Moore's take on it after Ennis has spent years beating the concept into the ground.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Top Ten in general is very very good, the best thing I think Moore has written outside of "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"

And Moore timewise did it first, unless Ennis started taking the piss out of the Marvel characters in Punisher before that.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I prefer Tom Strong, personally, but the whole ABC line was just fantastic.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Can we talk about how awesome the new Wolverine book is?

Because it is so awesome.

Furu on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited May 2009
    the one with lightsaber-claws?

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Gadzooks, really?

What book is this? Weapon X?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Gadzooks, really?

What book is this? Weapon X?

Yes, really. And yeah, Weapon X. Jason Aaron is a madman.

Furu on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's been pretty great so far, but if you were to explain the concept to someone who hasn't read it... it would sound pretty fucking lame.

LAZER CLAWS!

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wait, you guys are serious? Lightsaber claws?

desc on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    and ray guns that give people cancer.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    and ray guns that give people cancer.

Those were just bullets that give people cancer.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's cool. In Thunderbolts Black Widow II has an AMR that fires cancer-curing bullets.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Someone has to name all the villains in the last page of Punisher.

Those are
    all of the villains killed by Scourge in the 80s.

What I've got to wonder is, where did the Hood find 12 guys willing to get dusted to bring them all back?

And why would the Hood prefer 12 Z-listers to the dudes he had?

Of course I know the real reason is so they can have Frank killing a bunch of dudes in costumes in the next few issues without worrying about killing off any characters they care about.

Scooter on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So Punisher is back doing 616 things, fighting costume schmucks and being fun, instead of being really dark and full of black humor?

I'm tempted...

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    So Punisher is back doing 616 things, fighting costume schmucks and being fun, instead of being really dark and full of black humor?

I'm tempted...

He's doing both, actually. The 616 Punisher is just Punisher, whereas the Ennis one turned into Punisher: Frank Castle MAX.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

I'm tempted...

He's doing both, actually. The 616 Punisher is just Punisher, whereas the Ennis one turned into Punisher: Frank Castle MAX.

Is Ennis still writing MAX?

It just seemed to be that you can only do so much with those stories.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No. Gregg Hurwitz followed Ennis' run with an arc set in Mexico, and Duane Swierczynski's Philly arc just ended. The next one is going to be Victor Gischler, and then in September Jason Aaron takes over the MAX title.

There's also going to be a Punisher Noir mini starting in August.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Scooter wrote: »

Those are

What I've got to wonder is, where did the Hood find 12 guys willing to get dusted to bring them all back?

Of course I know the real reason is so they can have Frank killing a bunch of dudes in costumes in the next few issues without worrying about killing off any characters they care about.

that's probably why The Hood's doing it too.

Furu on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Scooter wrote: »

Those are

Because 12 Z list super villains beats 12 regular thugs?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    And because it might have an effect on the morale of his current friends once they realize the Hood can bring back criminals killed by a vigilante.

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So the Hood is actually resurrecting people now?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Probably more accurate to say
    Dormammu
    is doing it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    He, or should I say "it", can do that?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    He, or should I say "it", can do that?
    Not in the past, but it makes somewhat more sense than Hood himself being able to do it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    He never raised the dead in the past?

That's surprising, since necromancy is fairly basic stuff for a malevolent, mystic entity of his caliber.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

That's surprising, since necromancy is fairly basic stuff for a malevolent, mystic entity of his caliber.
    I believe that he was too busy trying to fuck up Strange to get involved with such a ritual, but you may be right.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No. Gregg Hurwitz followed Ennis' run with an arc set in Mexico, and Duane Swierczynski's Philly arc just ended. The next one is going to be Victor Gischler, and then in September Jason Aaron takes over the MAX title.

Jason Aaron as in Scalped Jason Aaron?

Fuck yeah.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Yea, especially since they did go the route of having one (voluntary?) sacrifice for each one. At least it's not like he's just waving his hand and every corpse gets back up.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    BigDes wrote: »

Jason Aaron as in Scalped Jason Aaron?

Fuck yeah.

Aaron has already done a Punisher MAX annual issue, and Holy Shit was it brutal.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The moment of my week: finding my Starman Omnibus Volume 2 and devouring it.

My moment of the weak: finding Captain America: America First and actually reading it. Chaaaaaykin

Wildcat on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My moment of the week: Finding The Irredeemable Ant-Man trades at Half-Priced Books. Has Kirkman ever done wrong?

Slagmire on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Slagmire wrote: »
    My moment of the week: Finding The Irredeemable Ant-Man trades at Half-Priced Books. Has Kirkman ever done wrong?

Blocked his Ultimate X-Men run out of your mind, have we?

Furu on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My moment of the week - Finding the Punisher: Born MAX 4 issue set for $7 (CAD) at my local used book store.

SCORE

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I didn't know Marvel released trades for Kirkman's Ant-man. They are releasing the whole thing next month for 35 bucks retail but I don't know if I want to pick it up.

wirehead26 on