As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Selling laptop on ebay -- potential scams!

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Quick question for those well versed with ebay: I'm selling my macbook pro, and I want to list it on ebay. Local services turned up a lot of false positives with buyers, most wanting to low ball to about half my price.

What are some of the potential scams that sellers need to be on the lookout for on ebay? I will be accepting payments by paypal only, and shipping only to verified addressed. I will also ship with tracking. Anything else I need to do/look out for?

Is it possible for a buyer to pay with paypal then file a claim that they did not receive the laptop? I know paypal sides with the buyer in most cases, so how do I protect myself from this?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
Figgy on

• Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One thing you can do is state in your ad that you will only sell to people with 100% feedback and 10 or more transactions. This will probably lower your final selling amount though.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, I'd rather not do that.

What's the problem if I have someone with only a few positives win and pay? I mean, once the money is in my paypal, is there no sure fire way for me to cover my bases and be able to prove without a doubt that the item was shipped?

Would paypal ever side with the buyer if I shipped and had a tracking number that confirmed delivery? I suppose they could say the laptop was broken, but why would someone buy a laptop off ebay, break the laptop, then send it back and get a refund?

I'm also a bit cautious because I believe CanadaPost's maximum insurance amount is $1000, and I'm aiming for $1300-$1500 for it.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's no way that you can make it 100% safe when paypal is involved. If you're nervous about it I would consider using an escrow service. Escrow.com would cost between $40 and $80 if the laptop sold for $1300.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    What are some of the potential scams that sellers need to be on the lookout for on ebay? I will be accepting payments by paypal only, and shipping only to verified addressed. I will also ship with tracking. Anything else I need to do/look out for?

Is it possible for a buyer to pay with paypal then file a claim that they did not receive the laptop? I know paypal sides with the buyer in most cases, so how do I protect myself from this?
    Personally, I would never sell or purchase any used electronics online if they were worth more than maybe $50. There's just too much potential for something to go wrong. All it takes is a transistor popping during transit to turn the entire thing into a giant nightmare of blame.

But, if you insist on it...

1. If Canada Post will only insure for up to $1000, use FedEx or UPS, and make sure you have the original receipt for the laptop proving its initial value and a printout of the completed auction.

2. Only ship to the buyer's Paypal verified address, no exceptions.

3. Get a tracking number, and provide it to the buyer as well.

4. Require delivery confirmation / signature.

5. Pray.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    There's no way that you can make it 100% safe when paypal is involved. If you're nervous about it I would consider using an escrow service. Escrow.com would cost between $40 and $80 if the laptop sold for $1300.

I would never ever ever buy anything from someone requiring the use of an escrow service.

Also, I'm assuming you used craigslist or whatever is equivalent in your area already. How long did you have it on there for? You'll always get low ballers and scammers replying on there, just ignore them. I would keep it on there for a couple weeks at least before resorting to ebay.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    saltiness wrote: »
    AtomBomb wrote: »

I would never ever ever buy anything from someone requiring the use of an escrow service.

eBay's approved escrow service (www.escrow.com) is fine. There's no reason to be paranoid about that.

Don't touch any other escrow site, though.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/escrow.html

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My father tried to sell a laptop on ebay last year. Just constant scam attempt after scam attempt, so I just took the auction down for him and we never sold it.

I would not recommend eBay, obviously.

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You're trying to sell a Mac laptop on eBay, this has to be linked...

P-P-P-Powerbook!

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    proXimity wrote: »
    You're trying to sell a Mac laptop on eBay, this has to be linked...

P-P-P-Powerbook!

Oh man, I'm laughing so hard right now I can't click the button to go the next page to see the result of the story. This is priceless!

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    I recommend Craigslist. Macs hold their value very well, and if you're anywhere near a major city you'll almost certainly get reasonable offers.

Organichu on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm going to actually contribute now. One thing to be wary of is that, if you sell it to someone in the U.S., you either have to lie about the value or the buyer gets to pay crazy taxes and you get to pay ridiculous shipping charges. I made that mistake once. It was not pleasant.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    From everything I've heard, it's really hard to sell a laptop on eBay these days, because as soon as you post it, some scammer uses "buy it now" to end the auction and you get an email about how you will get a check for $X+500, and you should wire the rest back. Put it back up, and the same shit happens again.

Doc on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was going to say that you should just sell it to me through penny-arcade, but then I realized i'm a brokeass motherfucker, so unless you want to sell it for like $3.50 I'm out of luck.

But yes, I agree with people saying to try craigslist, cause EBay really is just a gigantic shithole these days.

First it was the greatest place in the world to buy and sell stolen goods. Now those thieves have realized it's much easier just to steal from you, than to walk into Walmart, steal a laptop, and sell it on Ebay.

Also, you may put an add in your local paper.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I sold my iBook on eBay about 2 months ago. It didn't sell the first 7 days but it sold within like 6 hours when I relisted it. Got about $300 for it which was the average going price for my laptop on eBay and I shipped it insured and with delivery confirmation.

Also: Make it very clear that this is an as-is sale.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is what i do for expensive items on eBay:

1. as is sale - no returns whatsoever
    2. no "Buy it Now" option to avoid the scammers
    3. set a very low minimum bid to entice a bidding war
    4. set a high enough reserve to not lose money
    5. accept only paypal and ship only to a verified address (and only sell within your country... fuck foreigners)
    6. withdraw the money from paypal BEFORE YOU SHIP... paypal will lock your account and take your money if the buyer decides to be a dick and file a claim... once you have the money in your external account, however, they can't do dick
    7. ship only via UPS or FedEx... postal services don't care about your package and won't help you when it's lost

i sell and buy lots of stuff there (including expensive cell phones and car parts) and haven't had issues

illig on
  • Options
    ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for those tips illig! That's valueble info.

Also, the powerbook story is awesome!

Chalkbot on