As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Conspiracy Theories - I mean, shit.

• Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    The greatest trick the Jews ever pulled was convincing the world that they weren't involved.

<3

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oi! Just remembered... I used to work with this girl who swore that GWB and his administration of evil plotted to force the colored folk out of New Orleans by destroying the levies when Katrina came. I forget what her proof was, but it certainly involved dynamite and lots of crazy.

Edit: Oddly enough, the Jews weren't involved.

You should have pointed out that if they did try that, surely they would have missed and accidentally blown up the Superdome instead.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Weren't most of the Katrina victims among the poorest in the city? If "they" really wanted rid of them couldn't they just colluded to raise rents or something?

Duffel on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Weren't most of the Katrina victims among the poorest in the city? If "they" really wanted rid of them couldn't they just colluded to raise rents or something?

That would have been too pedestrian. Seriously, if there's anything we've learned in this thread it's that secret groups of Jews and rich white men have a penchant for constructing elaborate, inefficient schemes. They're basically Bond villains.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

That would have been too pedestrian. Seriously, if there's anything we've learned in this thread it's that secret groups of Jews and rich white men have a penchant for constructing elaborate, inefficient schemes. They're basically Bond villains.

Robot Devil: My ridiculously circuitous scheme is now 25% complete!

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    By the way, unless Obama was in on 9/11 from the beginning, why hasn't he released all the secret damming documents that he as president of the United States now has access to?

Oh right, secret america-hating gay Muslim hippie.

Khavall on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    By the way, unless Obama was in on 9/11 from the beginning, why hasn't he released all the secret damming documents that he as president of the United States now has access to?

Oh right, secret america-hating gay Muslim hippie.

Because Obama and every single person in his administration is part of the same massive freedom-hating jew world order conspiracy as G.W. Bush was, and it's only the brainwashing media that makes you sheeple think any differently!

If only you voted for Ron Paul!

Squee!

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Conspiracy theorists/ 9-11 truthers think that damn near everybody above the position of a local mayor or small-town sheriff is "in on it", so I'm sure they assume that any potential administration from now on is fully initiated into... whoever it is they claim is responsible, so their iron grip remains firm and resolute.

All the partisan bickering and power struggles in washington are just for show, I assume.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    See, that's the thing. Secretive, guarded meetings between lots of influential leaders go on all the time, but it still doesn't seem plausible that they do anything there.
    I always imagined stuff went on, but it was of the "hookers and blow" variety.

"You know what's funny, Mr. President?"

"What's that, Mr. Chairman?"

"POOR PEOPLE!"

And there's a hearty laugh all around before returning to the cigars and brandy.
    Ed321 wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    In my experience most of the anti-Zionist conspiracy theorists are Christian.

You're more likely to hear the extreme anti-zionist stuff from either the really far left (i.e. anti-globalization nuts), or Muslims, or leftist fringe parties appealing to Muslims (i.e. the Respect party, whose leadership is pretty much dominated by unreformed working-class and/or bookish/academic communists, but relies upon large urban communities of Muslim immigrants for votes) here in England. That's my experience anyway. We don't exactly have a giant kooky right-wing Evangelical or militia movement like in the U.S.

In the United States, the Zionist conspiracies are usually Christian in nature--and predominantly Evangelical, though you'll get plenty of other Protestants and a few aggressive Catholics too. In this day and age, there are very few Muslim political organizations of any sort, meaning there aren't that many ways for them to espouse their conspiracy theories (then again, I'm in the Bible Belt, where Mosques are about as common as nuclear power stations or flying submarines). The few that are publicly known, are ridiculously moderate by design.

I imagine it's quite different in the UK, of course. I could be mistaken, but there aren't as many Evangelicals in the UK, right? Over here, you've got the Jesus Camps which are anti-Zionist brain trusts, and, coincidentally, love conspiracy theories about everyone, including themselves. The Megachurches are not quite there--as consistently--but still spout the rhetoric of conspiracy, while walking the thin line of "not quite saying Jews rule the world"--they may have crossed that recently, though.

Evangelicals and born-again christian groups exist in Britain, but their influence - at least as a single, unified, well-organized political force - is virtually zero, to my knowledge. In fact I think Christian religious groups are a significantly more potent force in several European countries than they are here in England, although things are slightly different in, say, Northern Ireland & the Republic of Ireland, where the Catholic Church is very important for a number of communities. That's not to say that a strain of Social Conservatism U.S. Americans would be familiar with isn't a major player across all the three main parties, but the religious aspect exists mostly as an unspoken undercurrent, barring people occasionally saying things like "For God and Country" etc. Off the top of my head there's nothing as crazy as Creationism/Intelligent Design doing the rounds here, at least not among Christians.

In terms of conspiracies etc. the U.K. just doesn't seem to have that weird sub-culture of NWO/Alex Jones/UFO/Kennedy Assassination shenanighans. Not saying lots of people don't believe in similar shit, there just doesn't seem to be a conspiracy theorist theorist community like the one in the U.S. This might partly be to do with the fact that American conspiracies and CTs understandably get a lot more coverage. Also, personally I think there's actually a hell of a lot of anti-americanism here - even well before Bush - that doesn't take the form of riots or anything (well, except for fringe anti-Israel/anti-Globalization stuff, but a lot of that's organized by international groups), but rather a kind of smarmy superiority. Maybe I've just been going to the wrong parties all my life but people of all ages seem to love talking about anything that helps perpetuate the 'Ugly American' stereotype. For example, I remember in College politics classes there would be two or three blatantly anti-U.S. declarations (straightfoward stuff like "I fucking hate Americans. They're so stupid and racist") made by different students per lesson, followed by half the class laughing or clapping. So I think a lot of people here, and probably abroad, like focusing on the creepiness of American conspiracy sub-cultures to make them feel more sophisticated. Hence for this and other related reasons, people are primarily familiar with U.S.-centric theories.

America's still batshit insane though.
    I kid, I'd like to move there eventually, after travelling for a few years :P

Ed321 on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    See, that's the thing. Secretive, guarded meetings between lots of influential leaders go on all the time, but it still doesn't seem plausible that they do anything there.
    I always imagined stuff went on, but it was of the "hookers and blow" variety.

"You know what's funny, Mr. President?"

"What's that, Mr. Chairman?"

"POOR PEOPLE!"

And there's a hearty laugh all around before returning to the cigars and brandy.
    Organichu wrote: »
    In my experience most of the anti-Zionist conspiracy theorists are Christian.

You're more likely to hear the extreme anti-zionist stuff from either the really far left (i.e. anti-globalization nuts), or Muslims, or leftist fringe parties appealing to Muslims (i.e. the Respect party, whose leadership is pretty much dominated by unreformed working-class and/or bookish/academic communists, but relies upon large urban communities of Muslim immigrants for votes) here in England. That's my experience anyway. We don't exactly have a giant kooky right-wing Evangelical or militia movement like in the U.S.

In the United States, the Zionist conspiracies are usually Christian in nature--and predominantly Evangelical, though you'll get plenty of other Protestants and a few aggressive Catholics too. In this day and age, there are very few Muslim political organizations of any sort, meaning there aren't that many ways for them to espouse their conspiracy theories (then again, I'm in the Bible Belt, where Mosques are about as common as nuclear power stations or flying submarines). The few that are publicly known, are ridiculously moderate by design.

I imagine it's quite different in the UK, of course. I could be mistaken, but there aren't as many Evangelicals in the UK, right? Over here, you've got the Jesus Camps which are anti-Zionist brain trusts, and, coincidentally, love conspiracy theories about everyone, including themselves. The Megachurches are not quite there--as consistently--but still spout the rhetoric of conspiracy, while walking the thin line of "not quite saying Jews rule the world"--they may have crossed that recently, though.

Evangelicals and born-again christian groups exist in Britain, but their influence - at least as a single, unified, well-organized political force - is virtually zero, to my knowledge. In fact I think Christian religious groups are a significantly more potent force in several European countries than they are here in England, although things are slightly different in, say, Northern Ireland & the Republic of Ireland, where the Catholic Church is very important for a number of communities. That's not to say that a strain of Social Conservatism U.S. Americans would be familiar with isn't a major player across all the three main parties, but the religious aspect exists mostly as an unspoken undercurrent, barring people occasionally saying things like "For God and Country" etc. Off the top of my head there's nothing as crazy as Creationism/Intelligent Design doing the rounds here, at least not among Christians.

In terms of conspiracies etc. the U.K. just doesn't seem to have that weird sub-culture of NWO/Alex Jones/UFO/Kennedy Assassination shenanighans. Not saying lots of people don't believe in similar shit, there just doesn't seem to be a conspiracy theorist theorist community like the one in the U.S. This might partly be to do with the fact that American conspiracies and CTs understandably get a lot more coverage. Also, personally I think there's actually a hell of a lot of anti-americanism here - even well before Bush - that doesn't take the form of riots or anything (well, except for fringe anti-Israel/anti-Globalization stuff, but a lot of that's organized by international groups), but rather a kind of smarmy superiority. Maybe I've just been going to the wrong parties all my life but people of all ages seem to love talking about anything that helps perpetuate the 'Ugly American' stereotype. For example, I remember in College politics classes there would be two or three blatantly anti-U.S. declarations (straightfoward stuff like "I fucking hate Americans. They're so stupid and racist") made by different students per lesson, followed by half the class laughing or clapping. So I think a lot of people here, and probably abroad, like focusing on the creepiness of American conspiracy sub-cultures to make them feel more sophisticated. Hence for this and other related reasons, people are primarily familiar with U.S.-centric theories.

America's still batshit insane though.
    I kid, I'd like to move there eventually, after travelling for a few years :P

Well, the UK did spawn David Icke. That has to count for something right?

Oh and can we make a rule that anyone who uses the word "sheeple" seriously gets put in the 'Probably Mad' category?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    From what I've read, the UK seems to have a hard-on for Princess Di conspiracy theories. I suppose it's like your JFK.

But really I have no idea how widespread it is other than a few things I've read and a few shows that have mentioned.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Pfft, in the past England has probably been responsible for only slightly less anti-semitic conspiracy theories than France and Spain. Also, such famous depictions of perfidious Jews as Shylock and Fagin originated with our most celebrated writers :D. For a while back then, we cornered the shit out of that market.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oi! Just remembered... I used to work with this girl who swore that GWB and his administration of evil plotted to force the colored folk out of New Orleans by destroying the levies when Katrina came. I forget what her proof was, but it certainly involved dynamite and lots of crazy.

My wife and I went down to NOLA about 1.5 years after the storm, to help with some of the reconstruction. I heard alot of local people tell variants of this story. The most common version was not that they were trying to force the poor people out, but that they were trying to save the wealthy and touristy parts, and decided that, if there's going to be a flood no matter what, it would be better for everyone if it was in the Lower Ninth and not Bourbon Street. Put that way, it almost seems to make sense...minimizing the impact of an unavoidable tragedy.

Well, maybe not make sense, but at least it's somewhat less crazy.

Also, I would recommend "The David Icke Guide to the Global Conspiracy," purely for the wacky insane bullshit/cost ratio. It's basically all his theories thrown into a single book. Katrina? Yup. Skull and Bones? Indeed. 9/11? Oh, hell yeah. Annuaki? Tons. The fact that we're all worshipping some Babylonian sun god named Tammuz. Ancient secret societies that hide their presence by arranging Washington DC so that you can connect buildings and find their symbols. Flouride. Hillary Clinton's mind-controlled sex slaves. Some wacky ass stuff about how our minds are holographic computers. There's nothing really NEW here, but if you enjoy Mr. Icke, either as the fearless crusader for truth or as a good laugh, it's worth it.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, given that at the time Shylock created, the Jews had all been kicked out of England, it wasn't like Shakespeare would've known any personally with which to form a proper impression of.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well, given that at the time Shylock created, the Jews had all been kicked out of England, it wasn't like Shakespeare would've known any personally with which to form a proper impression of.

Successive English monarchs had an utterly ridiculous method of screwing over Jewish moneylenders in that day - what they'd do was borrow as much money as they could, realize there's was no way they could pay it back, then immediately threaten the Jews with (extra) persecution and expulsion from the country. The Jews would take the hint and cancel all the Monarch's debts with them, and the Monarch would sudden decide to show his wisdom and benvolence by forgiving the Jews for being...Jewish. This was repeated ad infinitum, but as you can imagine wasn't really the most stable basis for an economy. I read a couple of journal articles on this when I was doing TMOV as an undergrad, but I never explored it in any detail. One of those "It'd be hilarious if it didn't involve people getting murdered" stories.

EDIT: Actually I just remembered that might have been a slightly earlier practice, but whatever. Same principle.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I think "sheeple" needs to be the new Godwin - use it and you instantly lose. It kind of is anyway but it'd be nice if it was actually codified.

Duffel on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Off the top of my head, the only conspiracy theory that I believe is that Oswald was not the only one involved in the JFK assassination.

I find conspiracy theories about things like aliens, ancient civilizations, religion (Masons, Knights Templar, etc) to be interesting enough to watch or read things about from time to time, as long as you don't take it too seriously. I don't think being interested in these ideas hurts anyone, though I definitely wouldn't say I believe any of the mainstream conspiracies surrounding them.

Some conspiracy theories do drive me nuts, though. See: 9/11, lizard people, etc.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just came back from a group tour trip in Italy, filled with mainly old people, but there were 2 young people on the trip, one of which was big into conspiracy theories. I learnt how it was Bush who planned the JFK assassination, and was behind 9/11, and how they always got america into wars to lose so they could make money and that in 10 years there will be another Bush as president. Also he was saying how Obama will get assassinated soon, probably by the CIA.

Of course when asked for what the proof was, he would spout off what he could remember from the video he watched, which you could tell he had learnt nothing else about the subjects they were talking about cept what the video showed. Whenever you try to refute what he is saying he always went back to saying "Man just watch the video and it explains everything perfectly! The government is just covering everything up!!"

I guess it doesn't help that he is turning 20 and still needs one more credit to finish highschool. :P

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh, god. David Icke has a well-populated forum. This will be awesome for later.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ...Bush planned the JFK assassination? Really?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    ...Bush planned the JFK assassination? Really?

Bush senior, or one of them, all I know is that he kept on blaming a Bush for everything. :P

Also one of the Bush guys had millions of Nazi money too, or something.

As for the David Icke forums, I looked at the big thread in the 9/11 section and people were talking about how this new video they have will prove that they are not conspiracy theory nuts! I think this place will be a gold mine for laughs.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My dad believes all of this crap. His most recent claim is about how the jet contrails are actually the government spraying secret chemicals in the sky to alter the weather.

Yeah :(

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think "sheeple" needs to be the new Godwin - use it and you instantly lose. It kind of is anyway but it'd be nice if it was actually codified.

this is exactly what a brainwashed, jewish-controlled sheperson would say.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    GrombarGrombar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My dad believes all of this crap. His most recent claim is about how the jet contrails are actually the government spraying secret chemicals in the sky to alter the weather.

Ask if he also believes in the magical cloud people from Jupiter who clean the evil contralis up.

Grombar on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Yeah, the whole con trail/chem trail thing is about as retarded as the woman who thought the rainbow in her sprinkler mist was due to poisons in the air.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I just remembered that there are some awesome conspiracy theories involving Israel coming out of the Middle East. My favourite is the one about the IDF tipping their bullets with AIDS. :D

Ed321 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sigh I found this. About the secret jupiter business. You know it said "visual proof" so I had to click it. But yeah he doesn't believe in that thank god.

http://educate-yourself.org/cn/transmutationchemtrailsintosylphs23jul08.shtml

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A friend of mine thinks there's a massive neo-nazi conspiracy in the US. He thinks many of them are now hiding their beliefs ostensibly, and subtly bringing in more racist and separatist influence to whatever institutions they infiltrate.

I tried to glare at him hard enough to make him hang his head in shame, but it didn't work.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sigh I found this. About the secret jupiter business. You know it said "visual proof" so I had to click it. But yeah he doesn't believe in that thank god.

http://educate-yourself.org/cn/transmutationchemtrailsintosylphs23jul08.shtml

"Educate yourself" is the phrase I hear most often from CTs, right before they link to some insane fringe website. I wonder if that's coincidence or they're explicitly invoking that site.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I think they just think that they're brilliant and enlightened.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Don't know if this one's been mentioned yet, but here's an ancient conspiracy from the Netherlands (and possibly other countries too):

Lightbulbs are ever-lasting. They don't ever burn out. The reason they do burn out is because the manufacturers, being profit-driven, want to keep selling light-bulbs and so run a massive electrical surge through each and every bulb so that they weaken and will eventually burn out.

The Soviet Union isn't a capitalist nation, so their light-bulbs really do last forever because over there the manufacturers don't see the need to sabotage their own products in the name of profit.

Yeah, I believe this one didn't survive the fall of the Iron Curtain.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I don't know about in the Netherlands but lightbulbs in the US are specifically designed to last only so long. Like, if I replace every light bulb in my house and leave them all on for the same lengths of time, every single one of them will burn out within a few days of each other.

Not to say they could make "eternal" light bulbs if they wanted to but the whole planned obsolescence thing is really noticeable here.

Duffel on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've heard that, due to differences in voltage, a light bulb designed for use in Europe will last much longer when plugged in to a US light fixture. Never bothered to check it out, so that could be bullshit.

That "sylphs" thing is one of the best examples of Pareidolia I've ever seen. Absolutely nuts.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Don't know if this one's been mentioned yet, but here's an ancient conspiracy from the Netherlands (and possibly other countries too):

Lightbulbs are ever-lasting. They don't ever burn out. The reason they do burn out is because the manufacturers, being profit-driven, want to keep selling light-bulbs and so run a massive electrical surge through each and every bulb so that they weaken and will eventually burn out.

The Soviet Union isn't a capitalist nation, so their light-bulbs really do last forever because over there the manufacturers don't see the need to sabotage their own products in the name of profit.

Yeah, I believe this one didn't survive the fall of the Iron Curtain.

I've never heard that one, but it's pretty cool.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Well, if you're going to have three dozen people using the same damn light bulb, it had better last awhile.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    GrombarGrombar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The day of 9/11, not six hours after the attack, a street bum came up to me and started raving about the End Times. More to the point, this guy had it all figured out; Bush did it — for the popularity —*and not only that, but the bad guys had twenty more planes in the air right at that moment, ready to strike within the day.

I didn't bother asking what his source was.

It's amazing what people can convince themselves of. If it sounds good, they don't care if they made it up themselves. And if you question them, well, who are you to criticize the story they spent so much time on?

Grombar on
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's a guy at my work who believes the end of the world is coming in 2012 for some reason - I think something to do with the illuminati (I have to admit I faze out and am not really paying attention when he starts in on it) - and that he personally needs to go find Atlantis to save us all.

and he's serious about this. Dead fucking serious. He was planning on quitting work and going on a worldwide trip to find it, starting in Europe.

Although he has a girlfriend now so perhaps he's given up on it.

BladeX on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Damned Illuminati seductresses will be the end of us all!

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Actually I think you can make a lightbulb that pretty much goes forever, but it won't be very bright. If I recall correctly it's the large wattage in today's lightbulbs that burns them out. The Centennial Light in the Livermore Fire Department in California has been burning for some 100 years.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    BladeX wrote: »
    There's a guy at my work who believes the end of the world is coming in 2012 for some reason - I think something to do with the illuminati (I have to admit I faze out and am not really paying attention when he starts in on it) - and that he personally needs to go find Atlantis to save us all.

and he's serious about this. Dead fucking serious. He was planning on quitting work and going on a worldwide trip to find it, starting in Europe.

Although he has a girlfriend now so perhaps he's given up on it.
    I'm pretty sure this is grounds for being committed to an institution.

Also, is he absolutely loaded? How was he going to finance his world-saving expedition?

Duffel on