As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Monster Hunter Freedom UNITE - Don't be greedy!

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You got a Grayburg Javelin from an Ancient stone? Which game are you talking about? I quickly collated some results from burning through all of my Rust/Ancient Stones and found one crappy weapon, one decent weapon, and one Rusted/Worn weapon in each category. I don't have the Demonlock rusted stone, so I wasn't able to test that, but I had all of the others. Here are my results (all from Freedom Unite):

1st Great Sword (Flat Ruststone) - Buster Sword, Defender, Rusted Great Sword

2nd Great Sword (AncientFlatstone) - Ravager Blade, Carbalite Sword, Worn Great Sword

1st SnS (Small Ruststone) - Hunter's Dagger, Snake Bite, Rusted Sword

2nd Dual Blades (Sm Ancient Stone) - Twin Dagger+, Odyssey (SnS), Worn Blades

1st Hammer (Large Ruststone) - War Hammer, Spiked Hammer, Rusted Hammer

2nd Hammer (Lg Ancient Stone) - Iron Striker, Iron Devil, Worn Hammer

1st Lance (Ruststone Rod) - Iron Lance, Bone Javelin, Rusted Lance

2nd Lance (Ancient StoneRod) - Paladin Lance, Knight Lance, Worn Spear

1st Bowgun (Ruststone) - Shotgun (Green), Rapidcaster (HBG), Demonlock

2nd Bowgun (Ancient Stone) - Grenade Launcher, Meteor Cannon (HBG), Island of the Gods

I'm not sure if there's an "Ultra Rare" weapon that also can be made from the stones, resulting in the Grayburg Javelin result as Iceburner says, but after about 50 polishes of each stone, I got the above results.

EDIT: After booting up one of my old saves from Freedom 2, I found out that the Ruststone for the Demonlock makes the Shotgun (Emerald) and Rapidcaster. The Shotgun (Emerald) is probably Shotgun (Green) in Unite. Also, are you sure you got a Grayburg Javelin, Iceburner? The Knight Lance is rarity 6 (Grayburg is rarity 7) and has the same attack power and green sharpness (although much less of it).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I went to 4 stores before I found a copy - I was thinking no one stocked it. The last store had 1 copy. Yay.

Now that I've done the level 1 quests, it's opened some armour and weapon crafting. That early in the game, where do I get Ice Crystals? I want that badass looking ice sword/shield.

Is it possible to go out without a quest just to scrounge for stuff like bugs or do some mining?

-Loki- on
    edited August 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I went to 4 stores before I found a copy - I was thinking no one stocked it. The last store had 1 copy. Yay.

Now that I've done the level 1 quests, it's opened some armour and weapon crafting. That early in the game, where do I get Ice Crystals? I want that badass looking ice sword/shield.

Is it possible to go out without a quest just to scrounge for stuff like bugs or do some mining?
    Once you beat the first 1 star missions at the Elder, you get access to the 2 star missions, which have some "Gathering" missions in them. They have a Paw Pass inside the Blue box, which you can turn into the Red box at any time to complete the mission. Most Gathering missions allow you to gather materials in that zone without fighting a boss, although some Gathering missions will have a boss roaming around the map (which you can just avoid).

The first few missions allow you to gather in the Snow Mountains very easily, though, because all you have to do is not complete the mission requirements until you are ready.

Ice Crystals are found in mining points inside the ice cave areas in the mountains. I find them more useful in creating the Iron Katana myself. They are also rarely found from the first mining point that you get in the Pokke Farm, and more commonly in the second mining point (Mining Point+1) which you get later in the game.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Awesome. Time to get a new pick and go mining.

-Loki- on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Awesome. Time to get a new pick and go mining.

When you go on mining runs, make sure to bring the maximum old picks and regular picks you can carry to make it worth your while. You can bring stuff to make extra picks (bones and stone for the old picks, iron for the regular picks) but the basic complement should be plenty.

Also, there's a gathering point just before the little old dude that sits in front of the beehive that has nothing but stones and ice crystals, so make sure to hit that one too.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    edited August 2009
    Is that worth it? I mean, I went out to mine those Ice Caves and only broke 1 Iron pick before the areas were out and I couldn't mine them anymore.

Question on money - is there a good way to get money outside of quest rewards? I got like 500 from selling a few fish, but it there a better way to make money?

-Loki- on
  • FroggyPFroggyP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It is worth it to bring tons of pickaxes. On a volcano run, sometimes 5 mega pickaxes will last the entire map. If your just farming one area than probably don't need the other pickaxes though. For large scale mining runs though you should definately fill up on pickaxes. Someone posted that video of top 10 BS things in monsterhunter, and yeah having your mega pickaxes and bugnets break after one use is just terrible.

The best way to make money is to sell your spare monster parts. Selling the scales and stuff is good because they can net you quite alot and if you end up needing them later on, they are common enough that you can just farm them without too much effort. Selling bugs or ore usually doesn't give alot of cash cus you'd have to sell your really rare stuff like phantom butterflies or something and those you probably want to keep.

FroggyP on
    PSN: AnalogSoul
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    You got a Grayburg Javelin from an Ancient stone? Which game are you talking about?
    I must be crazy or something. I'd swear it happened but now all I can get matches your list. I'd already made a Grayburg, so perhaps I had it equipped and just got confused? Could swear I had the damn Corn Cannon on though and wound up with a second ... ugh, losing my marbles.

Thank you for the list anyway, it's helpful. I like nearly free weapons.

MH Trivia Fun: "Grayburg" is a mistranslation of "Gae Bolg", the spear of Cu Chulainn from Irish mythology. Full item name is 竜騎槍ゲイボルグ, "Dragoon Spear Gae Bolg". The MH1 translators read 竜騎 separately as "dragon cavalry" (and therefore concluded dragon riders[superscript]1[/superscript]) instead of reading them together to get the proper meaning of "Dragoon" which is merely heavily armed cavalry. Oddly enough, it still implies that the lance is meant to be used mounted, but there are no horses, and Aptnoths aren't exactly known for bravery. Hmm ... well it's obvious; they must have been riding cats.

1: This is even inconsistent with their own work since they've always treatedas "wyvern" andas "dragon" despite being the same word "ryuu" in Japanese)

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • XanathusXanathus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Whoa, I just received a Chameleos Horn without breaking it's head, AND a BigEDragonJewel, on my first G-rank Chameleos kill.

edit: AND a Chameleos Jewel. Is it worth making Chameleos armor? It seems to only be good for killing Daora.

Xanathus on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Xanathus wrote: »
    Whoa, I just received a Chameleos Horn without breaking it's head, AND a BigEDragonJewel, on my first G-rank Chameleos kill.

edit: AND a Chameleos Jewel. Is it worth making Chameleos armor? It seems to only be good for killing Daora.

The G-Rank Chameleos armor has Dragon Wind, High grade Earplugs, and anti-frost. It is a very very useful set for all sorts of things. It does help killing Daora as well, but it's great for taking out Rathalos with a hammer or Dual Swords... or Khezu with a hammer or dual swords... or... uh... that's mostly what I use it for.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
    edited August 2009
    Dyvion wrote: »

The G-Rank Chameleos armor has Dragon Wind, High grade Earplugs, and anti-frost. It is a very very useful set for all sorts of things. It does help killing Daora as well, but it's great for taking out Rathalos with a hammer or Dual Swords... or Khezu with a hammer or dual swords... or... uh... that's mostly what I use it for.
    See, aside from Daora, the only skill that you're actually using for those monsters is HG Earplugs which are available from other sets. Those other sets will also allow you to add in damaging skills like Sharpness+1 so it seems like a waste to spend that oh-so precious BigEDragonJewel on that armor.

Xanathus on
    edited August 2009
    Dyvion wrote: »

See, aside from Daora, the only skill that you're actually using for those monsters is HG Earplugs which are available from other sets. Those other sets will also allow you to add in damaging skills like Sharpness+1 so it seems like a waste to spend that oh-so precious BigEDragonJewel on that armor.
    While the hammers have some windpress while they are charging, you can't charge your hammer all the time while Rathalos is floating about (even if you had a mega juice... you have to release your charge some time), and sometimes you want to triple pound or maneuver during a wind press. Thus, you do end up using the Dragon Wind Press on the suit while fighting Rathalos. I know I've had several occasions where the anti-Wind Press was helpful in setting up some sort of attack. There are very few good utility suits of Anti-Wind Press out there, anyway, and Chameleos armor is one of the best. You can also use the armor against Chameleos, since the tail pound is a Dragon Wind Press attack (and not negated by built-in wind protection on Great Sword charges, Hammer charges, etc.). It's a LOT of free hits, especially considering how many times he uses that attack.

Not to mention that the armor has 9 slots to play with, which pretty much lets you gem up anything you want (at least, with a weapon slot). Mizuha Shin is used in a lot of piecemeal combos as well.

I'd like to know which full endgame armor set has both HGE and Sharpness+1 natively, because I'd probably use ONLY that armor for all of my melee weapons. The only set that has Earplugs and Artisan on it without using Jewels is Dark Akantor, AFAIK. Also, another trick is to use the Gunner Extravagant Cap along with 3 other pieces of Mizuha, leaving the last armor slot to whatever you want to use. You'll probably sacrifice HGE in the process (but you don't have to, with the right jewels), but you can make all sorts of crazy armor combos with Chameleos Ward.
    Question on money - is there a good way to get money outside of quest rewards? I got like 500 from selling a few fish, but it there a better way to make money?
    For early cash, I build up all three Farm rows in the Pokke Farm. Fertilize each row with Dung or 10 Worms (or Wyvern Droppings, later), then plant some Power Seeds in there. Go to your Pokke Farm after every mission, save 3 Power Seeds from the harvest for replanting, and sell off everything else. You should get a good 2000 to 2500 zenny each time (even if you buy 30 Worms). Search the sleeping Popo in the Pokke Farm for an occasional unit of Dung.

Anything that gives you Pokke Points will give you an equivalent amount of zenny as well. So running the very first mission (Mountain Herbs) by gathering 4 Mountain Herbs, running to the red box, then gathering 20 Mountain Herbs and possibly a Khezu Whelp from area 8 (take the hidden passage, then climb two walls, turn right, and pickaxe the corpse there) will net you 900 - 1300 Pokke Points, or 750 Pokke Points if you just harvest 20 Mountain Herbs and bring them back to the red box.

I tend to repeatedly run the easiest training missions for quick early cash. The Training Kut Ku can be demolished in 30 seconds or less (my runs are 25 seconds to 50 seconds) using the light bowgun (you get 9 Normal 2 shots, which when Rapid Fired can kill very quickly) for quick Pokke Points (350ish) and money (1000 zenny) without paying a cent.

But yeah, money making mostly involves selling scrap monster parts that you aren't using anymore.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited August 2009
    I found that I made tons of money and pokke points from doing ALL of the training missions in MH Frontier 2 on my path to getting the Sword Saint Piercing. You also get good experience in fighting monsters without having to bother with finding them and dealing with minions.

Xanathus on
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dobiscus. how do you get this shit? Its all I need for Healer S, and that set look AMAZING.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    edited August 2009
    jaziek wrote: »
    Dobiscus. how do you get this shit? Its all I need for Healer S, and that set look AMAZING.
    Plant Power Seeds or any other Seeds in your garden. They will appear as one of the three "random" items that grow there (assuming you fertilize with 10 Worms or Dung/Wyvern Droppings).

EDIT: Just to clarify, I think Dosbiscus can ONLY be grown in the Pokke Farm. I haven't seen any outside gathering points for it.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited August 2009
    Plant Power Seeds or any other Seeds in your garden. They will appear as one of the three "random" items that grow there (assuming you fertilize with 10 Worms or Dung/Wyvern Droppings).

EDIT: Just to clarify, I think Dosbiscus can ONLY be grown in the Pokke Farm. I haven't seen any outside gathering points for it.

Try Red Seeds instead, I think they're more likely to result in Dosbiscus compared to any other seed.

Xanathus on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You guys are missing the most important aspect of Mizuha Shin:

The Color change option pretty much changes the entire suit.

It's not just the little bands around the arms or crap like that, it's pretty much the entire back of the suit, the arms, the bubble butt, and the hat. You can come up with some wild looks with that much flexibility. Paint the hat yellow and the rest a dark blue, and bam! Black Mage! 8-) In all seriousness, Mizuha Shin's a pretty rad set that has some good utility skills that are handy against a variety of monsters. HGE and Dragon Wind Pressure really help eliminate alot of wasted time from "indirect attacks".

Loki, one of the easiest ways to make steady cash: Dung.

Plant some power seeds in your farm, fertilize it, sell the seeds, that's about 1k per row. Once you get 3 rows, and are planting after every mission, that'll be about 3k per run, on top of the reward and loot you got from doing the quest. It might not sound like much, but it's a nice steady cashflow that doe not require much effort.

Elderlycrawfish on
    PSN/Steam - Elderlycrawfish
    edited August 2009
    I just carved off 2 heavenly scales from my 2nd G-Lao Shan kill. This has got to be my luckiest Monster Hunter run ever. Ultimate Lao-Shan Cannon here I come!

Xanathus on
  • SnackpacSnackpac Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Nice to meet you guys, been a lurker for quite a while. Started playing Freedom Unite about a month ago, was entirely new to the series. Currently HR8 and at 9* Felyne Elder, but haven't played with other people much. Now if only I could get Xlink Kai working on this laptop..

Snackpac on
    edited August 2009
    Snackpac wrote: »
    Nice to meet you guys, been a lurker for quite a while. Started playing Freedom Unite about a month ago, was entirely new to the series. Currently HR8 and at 9* Felyne Elder, but haven't played with other people much. Now if only I could get Xlink Kai working on this laptop..

I'm about to move and won't have access to my desktop for... oh... a month and a half to two months. We picked up a Timeline series laptop from Acer for the move (8 hour battery life, oh yeah) but to get that much battery life the processor is not exactly a Core 2 Quad... or even a Duo... heck, it's not even a high end celeron. In any case, I've been trying to get XLink to work with the built in Wifi and my dongle, but I can't figure out how to get both the built in wifi and the dongle to connect to seperate wifi signals. It's Vista Home btw. Gonna spend some more time futzing with it over the next couple of days (we move out of base housing into temporary living facilties on Tuesday, so I pretty much have until then) and see what I can work out. It may have to be physically plugged into the wall to work... hardline internet and wireless dongle to the PSP.

Ah, well... since it's a TOTP...

On the 26th we're going to be driving up to Seattle before we fly over to Japan on the 28th... Anyone wanna get together for some Monster Hunter Freedom Unite in person on the 27th?

Dyvion on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh man, Long Swords in Tri get better and better. At the end of the Spirit combo, if you have any remaining meter you can now add an extra sweeping strike which rushes you foward while slicing in a wide arc (it was featured very briefly in one of the trailers), then you sheath your sword (which looks silly considering it just 'clips' back into the sheath, but whatever). The interesting part is that I believe it now replaces the sm attack boost bonus, in that if you successfully hit something with the rushing slash you gain a boost of some sort - the spirit bar glows. You can do this up to 3 times, with the glow colour going from White to Yellow and finally to Purple. It's awesome anyway :D

Going back to english friendly Unite, I'm trying to clear the lower guild quests, and what the hell is up with these goldenfish missions, they're rare enough, but then they decide to throw in some goddamn Burst Arrowanas to confuse me - I kept thinking my goldenfish bait was glitchy so I tested the fish with a worm only to find out that Goldenfish are much more yellow than the murky waters would have lead me to believe :x

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Airan wrote: »
    Oh man, Long Swords in Tri get better and better. At the end of the Spirit combo, if you have any remaining meter you can now add an extra sweeping strike which rushes you foward while slicing in a wide arc (it was featured very briefly in one of the trailers), then you sheath your sword (which looks silly considering it just 'clips' back into the sheath, but whatever). The interesting part is that I believe it now replaces the sm attack boost bonus, in that if you successfully hit something with the rushing slash you gain a boost of some sort - the spirit bar glows. You can do this up to 3 times, with the glow colour going from White to Yellow and finally to Purple. It's awesome anyway :D

Going back to english friendly Unite, I'm trying to clear the lower guild quests, and what the hell is up with these goldenfish missions, they're rare enough, but then they decide to throw in some goddamn Burst Arrowanas to confuse me - I kept thinking my goldenfish bait was glitchy so I tested the fish with a worm only to find out that Goldenfish are much more yellow than the murky waters would have lead me to believe :x

I watched a stream today of someone using a longsword against the lion thing, the anglerfish thing, and then shen fen long... and he used that finishing swipe then sheathe move a lot... but it didn't look like it drained any of the bar, but that could have been the crappy resolution of the stream.

One of the guild hall quests requires you to get 8 goldenfish... in the desert. The oasis spot is the best location, because it's right next to a border, and you can run in and out and reset what's there until you get your 8 fish, shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. But until i discovered that, I failed the mission 3 or 4 times because I couldn't catch enough of the buggers.

Dyvion on
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, the Spirit bar's changed in that it doesn't drain any charge for a short while when you max it , after that infinite period it slowly drains back until you refill it to max with more normal attacks. So keep spamming that spirit combo! It will drain though if you use spirit attacks when it's not full.

I'm dreading that specific goldenfish quest really, fishing's so damn boring. One of the things I really appreciate in Tri is that the camera is not fixed while fishing - I was doing the Jungle goldenfish quest and I downed the Daimyo Hermitaur, only to have its claw block my fishing view :x

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
    edited August 2009
    So does anyone have the latest X-link Kai working? Mine just refuses to operate since I upgraded, sigh :(

Al so yes, I love that. Also, since you can go in water, you can fish from anywhere near the fishing resource point ... but if you get too close, the fish decide to split, cute touch. :)

Edit: Just found out you CAN get arena mode rewards to carry over into single player: Talk to the cat in your house and choose the 2nd option. The tokens will be transferred over then.

IceBurner on
    edited August 2009

Try Red Seeds instead, I think they're more likely to result in Dosbiscus compared to any other seed.
    Red, Green, and Yellow seeds give you a random assortment of items in the garden (all of which can turn up as Dosbiscus). I don't believe that Red Seeds have a higher frequency of Dosbiscus than the Green or Yellow seeds as their main drop, but I've never seen anyone prove that they do or don't through a large sample size.

Everything else gives you 7-9 copies of the same item along with 2-3 "random" slots that give you random garden items. In all cases, you have a good chance to get Dosbiscus in the bonus 2-3 slots.

Basically, if you've been doing any gardening at all, you should have a good supply of Dosbiscus sitting around. I garden on my Pokke Farmer every time I come back to the farm, and I've been getting around 1 Dosbiscus per run.
    IceBurner wrote: »
    So does anyone have the latest X-link Kai working? Mine just refuses to operate since I upgraded, sigh :(
    Unless a new version has recently been released, the current version should be 7.4.18, which was released last July. I've been using that all summer, ever since I got Unite. It works pretty well. Do you have port 30000 open on your firewall (both software and router)?

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    So I finally Clear!!'ed 5* Elder. I was right - Lunastra/Tower hunt was "hiding" from me. After getting my ass handed to me in training a few times it showed up and she went down without any real fight.

Speaking of training... ugh. The gunlance just is NOT clicking with me at all. I'm stuck on congalala... he's just too quick for me. Plus, I don't like how you have to strike in order to sidestep with the gunlance. What's the secret to gunlances?

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
    edited August 2009
    LCDXX wrote: »
    So I finally Clear!!'ed 5* Elder. I was right - Lunastra/Tower hunt was "hiding" from me. After getting my ass handed to me in training a few times it showed up and she went down without any real fight.

Speaking of training... ugh. The gunlance just is NOT clicking with me at all. I'm stuck on congalala... he's just too quick for me. Plus, I don't like how you have to strike in order to sidestep with the gunlance. What's the secret to gunlances?
    I'm not sure if there is a "secret" to it. It's a complicated weapon with a lot of moves (and yet... it lacks the awesome "charge" move that allows you to maintain melee range, like the lance). I typically start off with Wyvern's Fire (While guarding, press Triangle+Circle, then hold onto your butt because you're about to be introduced to Newton's laws of motion), then inch back forward while holding guard.

When I'm in melee range, I tap Triangle three times while guarding, as the up-poke while guarding is the staple gunlance attack. After three Triangles, if I can still attack (most of the time, you won't be able to), I combo it into a Circle gunlance shot, then back to the guarding up poke. It all combos together, so you can alternate up to three Triangle stabs and as many Circle shots as you have ammo. Triangle Triangle Circle Circle Triangle Circle Triangle Triangle Triangle, etc.

Alternatively, if I am at low sharpness, I just use the gunlance shots and skip the melee. It's a better use of the low end of the sharpness bar, since it always does the same amount of damage and never bounces.

There is a smoking "vent" on the gunlance that shows you when your Wyvern's Fire is ready to use again. When the vent closes, try to find an opportunity to use it.

With the gunlance, you mostly have to rely on monsters to come to you, rather than you chasing the monster. With Congalala training, I hate how you still get hit by dung odor even if you block his dung projectile with your shield. If he gets too far away, unsheathe your weapon and run. You will soon learn to anticipate when he moves away and unsheathe your weapon in response to get to his location. Sit as close to him as possible, and wait for an attack, then counter with a couple of stabs or gunshots.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited August 2009
    I was still using 7.1.7.8 until this week. It logged in but didn't connect with my PSP. It suggested I upgrade to 7.4.18, so I did, and immediately stopped working. It can't even reach the server now, UI doesn't even open, and I can't even edit the configuration. I've even tried uninstalling it.

If others have it working, then it's my problem; I'll figure it out.

Edit: I find that the short dashing gunlance attack (triangle while moving) is more than enough of a positional aid in most cases.

IceBurner on
    edited August 2009
    IceBurner wrote: »
    I was still using 7.1.7.8 until this week. It logged in but didn't connect with my PSP. It suggested I upgrade to 7.4.18, so I did, and immediately stopped working. It can't even reach the server now, UI doesn't even open, and I can't even edit the configuration. I've even tried uninstalling it.

If others have it working, then it's my problem; I'll figure it out.
    I've had this problem before, when I was first setting up Xlink Kai. I messed something up, then it stopped working entirely. I had to uninstall it, then weed out every single file on my computer related to Xlink Kai before reinstalling, since it apparently keeps a lot of config files even after the uninstall.

The main XLink Kai config is found in C:\Documents and Settings\YOURACCOUNTNAME\Application Data\Xlink Kai\kaiUserConfig.txt and you can edit the values manually. I have my kaiWebUI=0, kaiLaunchUI=1, kaiUI=kaiUI.exe, kaiSkin=!.
    Edit: I find that the short dashing gunlance attack (triangle while moving) is more than enough of a positional aid in most cases.
    Sometimes it works, but it has a long recovery time before you can guard again. If you are just going to stab twice afterwards, it's fine, but most of the time when I close position with that move, I find that I need to guard. You can also achieve the same amount of distance by turning around and pressing X to backhop, but at least you can KEEP on backhopping if you need to go further (as long as you have stamina). The lance charge move is far more useful. I guess lances need at least one advantage over the gunlance.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited August 2009
    Ah, I don't use it to close position, usually, and if I do I sidestep afterward. If I have that much ground to cover, I have time to put my weapon away, run, and flying dodge if need be. I actually use the gunlance "charge" and the lance charge for evasive positioning more so than attack.

Edit: Also thanks for the Kai troubleshooting suggestions. I will attempt repair later today.

IceBurner on
  • datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    10 potions, 10 mega potions, 1 shock trap, 3 rations, 5 hot drinks, 5 whetstones, and 45 minutes later, I finally dropped my first Kehzu. Talk about a total pain in the ass. This was probably my 5th or so time trying to fight him, this time with dual blades with a fire attribute (twin kut-ku).

He must have flown away about 10 times, I was out of hot drinks, already died once, my stamina was about as low as it could go, and I had about 1/10th of my life left when he finally went down.

I can't figure out if it's my armor, weapon, or my skills that suck but damn that took forever. And when I tried doing it with a great sword (Red Stripe) I almost always bounced when I attacked. I had been using a long sword almost exclusively up to this point, but couldn't take him down with it either, and I couldn't get the materials to upgrade to the long sword with the fire attribute (Wyvern Blade Fall).

I struggled with this quest far more than any other so far. Khezu was the first time I felt like I was hitting a brick wall where I couldn't make the armor or weapons to kill him efficiently.

datac0re on
    edited August 2009
    I took Khezu down in 18 minutes with an Iron Katana Grace. It has Green Sharpness and deals decent damage. More importantly, you can upgrade all the way to Iron Katana Gospel with only Mining point materials and no monster materials at all (you can even have an Iron Katana Gospel at 1* Elder quests, if you grind a lot). With an Iron Katana Gospel, it takes around 12 minutes for me. It's a tedious fight, but once you learn how to read him, he can't hurt you at all unless it's your own fault. He can only hurt you if you let him (even when he screams, the only way he can damage you while you are recovering is if you are standing next to him or right in front of him).

The longsword technique is basically standing at his 5 o'clock or 7 o'clock out of tailsweep range. If he does any move that doesn't hit you, you Circle poke into a Triangle-Circle slash. If he turns toward you, move back to the flanking position again. The only time you should try a Triangle -> Triangle -> Circle -> Triangle -> Triangle+Circle combo is when he's using his breath weapon. Aim for the back of his leg. If you have green sharpness, it shouldn't bounce (at least, not often). If he uses the electricity aura, time it (3 seconds) then move in and Circle -> Triangle+Circle poke him. He'll probably use the aura again, but the backhop will take you out of range.

Great Sword training for Khezu puts you in a similar situation as you had (always bouncing). It teaches you to hit him perpendicularly to his head with a great sword charge, since that's about the only attack that WON'T bounce and you never want to stand directly in front of him.

Dual Blades are normally good against him (since you can get a full demon dance combo during most of his attack recovery animations), but without Green Sharpness, it just plain sucks. Every time you hit and sparks fly (ESP kicks in and prevents you from bouncing), you are dealing 30% of your normal damage. The ESP associated with the Demon Dance prevents bouncing but does NOT prevent the damage reduction or the double sharpness damage to your weapon. Twin Kut-Kus were almost certainly not doing their full damage against him.

Still, congratulations on beating your first Brick Wall. Khezu brickwalls MANY people in this game, and you have emerged triumphant.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited August 2009
    Should I even worry about Elemental Resistances at G-rank? They're proving their worth in Tri in these early stages, but back in Unite, +20 res doesn't quite seem to cut it when reducing a fireball's damage, though that's the highest I've been able to get without gemming it (really, who gems elemental resistance??).

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Airan wrote: »
    Should I even worry about Elemental Resistances at G-rank? They're proving their worth in Tri in these early stages, but back in Unite, +20 res doesn't quite seem to cut it when reducing a fireball's damage, though that's the highest I've been able to get without gemming it (really, who gems elemental resistance??).
    Do you know what's bad? There are a lot of "fireballs" in the game that don't even deal fire damage and are mostly reduced by regular armor. :-P The only Elemental resist that seems worth it is Thunder resist, mostly because of the monsters that use it (Kirin, Khezu, White Fatty, etc.). But even then, you'd be better off gemming in Guts than elemental resists.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited August 2009
    In all games before Tri, positive elemental resistance isn't worth more than a few points of HP, however occasionally that's all that's left after a fireball or electrified spitwad. The negatives are more damning in pre-MHTri. I believe someone already posted about how elemental resistances mean much more in Tri, but if not I'll recap:

Each elemental attack can now cause a nasty little status effect. Flames can set you ablaze, electricity can leave you shocked (doubled KO damage), water leaves you super-hydrated (stamina recovery rate halved), dragon causes ... something, which makes all hits lose sharpness as if bouncing, and so on.

High enough elemental resistances negates these, though I'm uncertain of the cutoff point. Resistances also count more heavily for or against the damage received; it's been re-weighted to matter more in the damage formula.

This is one reason Jagi armor is actually not as sweet a deal as its early-game defense makes it seem; it's got -5 to all elements so it's almost like a masochist's set. Bone armor with 1 upgrade on each piece has the same defense, better resists, and far better skills besides.

IceBurner on
    edited August 2009
    You guys weren't kidding about this game. I spent most of yesterday playing this instead of my PS3 backlog. I even charged my PSP when it got low and went back to playing this. And played it while my fiance and I were watching TV. Gah.

Couple of questions - is it worth using a full set? I got Bone Armour because I liked how it looked compared to other low level armour, but the skull caps are fucking ugly. If I use say, a Hunters cap with it, am I losing anything important?

Also, just as I got my bone armour and unlocked the forest, I unlocked a new set of armour that looks a million times better. Now I'm just trying to get stuff to make that. Is this normal in this game? Am I going to constantly be chasing new armour and weapons?

-Loki- on
    edited August 2009
    You'll lose out on skill points which match the rest of the set, but the armors are very slyly designed to be mixed and matched, so long as you select carefully. Alternately select a helm you like with adequate gem slots and pop in decorations to get the extra points you need to "switch on" the Bone Armor's skills.

Also, you object to the helm but like the orange speedo? (That speedo is blue now, in Tri BTW)

IceBurner on
    edited August 2009
    Didn't notice any speedos. This is the female armour set.

-Loki- on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To an extent, you will be chasing equipment, partially for aesthetics, but more importantly for the skills they confer. They may not seem like much at the start, but you'll hear us discussing things like Sharpness+1 or High Grade Earplugs and other stuff all the time; the skills you get from armor/jewels can play a big role in how you play/what you fight against. As you fight different monsters, different sets will unlock. Then when you go from low rank to high rank, then high to G rank, you'll find the stronger versions of the same armors you're unlocking. Skills will often change, and even some of the basic look changes, but they generally get better defense/skills/slots as you go. Weapons are a little better, as you can just start something at the base form and eventually upgrade it to an end form of some sort.

Ultimately, how much chasing you do is up to you. If you like having alot of weapon and armor choices, this game will keep you busy for a long time. If you only want a few things, that's always an option as well, as you don't have to make everything in this game to survive. I fall in the former category, and still have quite a bit to do. :P

Elderlycrawfish on
    PSN/Steam - Elderlycrawfish
    edited August 2009
    Didn't notice any speedos. This is the female armour set.
    Ah! Well, you haven't lived until your manly man has bested an overgrown pink chicken while in a scaled orange speedo.

IceBurner on