Options

Making sense of Cedric Bixler-Zavala's lyrics

2»

• Options
    Dabt al-HaqqDabt al-Haqq Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I didn't recognize the guy's name, but after reading the first verse I knew it was the lead from The Mars Volta.

The creepy speech from Cassanda Gemini is my favorite:
    There was a frail syrup dripping off
    His lap danced lapel, punctuated by her
    Decrepit prowl she washed down the hatching
    Gizzard soft as a mane of needles
    His orifice icicles hemmoraged
    By combing her torso to a pile
    Perspired the trophy shelves made room for his collapse
    She was a mink handjob in sarcophagus heels

Love this speech, just wish I knew how to replicate the vocal effect...

I recently bought Frances the Mute after hearing Amputechture and De-Loused, and have been trying to figure the album out for a while now, on and off. It's been hard not simply going on The Mars Volta forum and just reading everything, but I kind of like exploring Cedric's lyrics (Though, I will admit to reading an article that disclosed the album's central theme.). It's like a puzzle that teaches me words like catafalqe.

As for Amputechture: I think the album has a central, religious theme, but one would be hard pressed to get anything concrete out of it. To echo Superunknown (I'm becoming a TMV nerd...), it seems like the album was written to be sang more than understood, if that makes sense. De-loused seems to be that way too, ("exoskeletal junction at the railroad delayed") with a few exceptions (Sun et Luminere, Televators, Take the Viel Cerpin Taxt).

I definately can level with anyone who says it's just retarded nonsense that sounds cool, though. Because honestly, it really seems that way. But one has to admit, sometimes Cedric gets his shit right and it sounds really rad and poetic.

I count the days to find
    what was left behind.
    Only these names I clutch
    will lead me to my home.

Dabt al-Haqq on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I love TMV's lyrics. I've never really tried to make sense of them, because I honestly don't care that much. To me the vocal harmonies completely rock, and that's good enough in itself. On top of that, though, the words used create a sort of texture that goes so well with the music. I couldn't imagine TMV working as well with lyrics you could understand right away.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Most of Cedric's stuff is texturing with word sounds and stuff. He does put meaning into his lyrics, though, just not every single line of every single song. Especially on Amputechture.

Snork on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well of course the Language poets are still around and they're still doing their thing, but poetry as a whole has moved away from that. Maybe you're just picking up the wrong books?

Serialist pattering I can't comment on since I don't even know what serialism is. Some kind of music theory?
    Well, most of my exposure is by way of academic journals and reviews. I know it's a limited slice of the publishing world, but in other fields it tends to be the outlook for the trend. My old roommate is teaching poetry at Johns Hopkins now, and every time we look at new shit, we're both just like, "ugh." There are clearly people doing new things, but it doesn't seem like there's a coherent trend in that. Not that there needs to be a trend at all, but the bulk of the work we see is still more language crap.

Poetry right now is pretty much all gone to hell due to a mix of cultural forces, particularly music, the internet, emo, and the general lack of literacy.

I was talking to the teacher and some of my classmates last year, about how the area basically didn't have anything going for it in the literature department. The teacher said that, unlike San Francisco, the area had lots of award-winning poets.

I just LAUGHED my ass off.

This was in an advanced writing class.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    VBakes wrote:
    PErsonally I love The Mars Volta I think they're really talented musicians whole happen to shine during improv jam sessions(of which they did an hour long one when I saw them).
    Wait, what? Their live improv is fucking terrible. It's even worse than the noise texture segments on their albums.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oh, well, its good to know you've been to every live show ever to make that assessment.

VBakes on
    Therman Murman?......Jesus.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    VBakes wrote:
    PErsonally I love The Mars Volta I think they're really talented musicians whole happen to shine during improv jam sessions(of which they did an hour long one when I saw them).
    Wait, what? Their live improv is fucking terrible. It's even worse than the noise texture segments on their albums.
    What 'noise texture' are you talking about?

Snork on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Snork wrote:
    VBakes wrote:

Minutes and minutes of frogs chirping, street noise, synth warbling, bells ringing, and other such nonsense that turned Frances the Mute from a great album into a trainwreck.
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Poetry right now is pretty much all gone to hell due to a mix of cultural forces, particularly music, the internet, emo, and the general lack of literacy.

I was talking to the teacher and some of my classmates last year, about how the area basically didn't have anything going for it in the literature department. The teacher said that, unlike San Francisco, the area had lots of award-winning poets.

I just LAUGHED my ass off.

This was in an advanced writing class.

Poetry is fine. At least in NYC it is, I don't know anything about California. There are always going to be people writing overly experimental bullshit, but there are also always people writing really good things.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Snork wrote:
    VBakes wrote:

Minutes and minutes of frogs chirping, street noise, synth warbling, bells ringing, and other such nonsense that turned Frances the Mute from a great album into a trainwreck.
    srsly
    If Pink Floyd can pull it off on Umma Gumma, if Skinny Puppy can jam on harsh noise on their brap tracks, and if Mars Volta can construct layered and decently complex compositions, they should be able to do something coherent with their noisier segments.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Snork wrote:
    VBakes wrote:

srsly
    If Pink Floyd can pull it off on Umma Gumma, if Skinny Puppy can jam on harsh noise on their brap tracks, and if Mars Volta can construct layered and decently complex compositions, they should be able to do something coherent with their noisier segments.

I don't know anything about Ummagumma, but on Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall, Pink Floyd are able to pull it off because it's integrated into the music. Snippets of conversation and sound effects augment the music, they don't just go off by themselves. It's not just four straight minutes of chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp.

Plus TMV just aren't very good with dynamics. You can't just make sharp transitions from full-on rock to ambience. A lot of post-rock like Sigur Ros, GY!BE, etc. use both ends of the dynamic scale, but they transition between them gradually. A quiet song will build up into a loud song, and then after the loud climax, instruments and layers will start slowly falling away until it's a quiet song again. You can't just go LOUD quiet LOUD quiet. It doesn't work that way.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Poetry is fine. At least in NYC it is, I don't know anything about California. There are always going to be people writing overly experimental bullshit, but there are also always people writing really good things.

Does anyone actually manage to make a living off of it without going to greeting cards or dumbing it down?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:

Does anyone actually manage to make a living off of it without going to greeting cards or dumbing it down?

I doubt it, but a lot of them teach in MFA Creative Writing programs for a living. Besides, I don't see what that has to do with the actual quality of the poetry.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I honestly can't speak for De-Loused and Frances, I haven't spent a whole lot of time on them. But Amputechture works, and the post production is a lot better than Pink Floyd.

Although Tetragrammaton is my least favorite track, and I generally only listen to it when I listen to the whole album. Every other track is incredible though.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:
    I honestly can't speak for De-Loused and Frances, I haven't spent a whole lot of time on them. But Amputechture works, and the post production is a lot better than Pink Floyd.

Although Tetragrammaton is my least favorite track, and I generally only listen to it when I listen to the whole album. Every other track is incredible though.
    I think you might be the only person in the world who likes Amputechture and doesn't like Tetragrammaton. I'm not trying to mess with you, I'm being serious.

But seriously. Spend more time on the other two records.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    It's not that I dislike tetragrammaton- it's just not as good as the other stuff on the album. Maybe I like different thigns about the band which makes me a bad fan, but whatever.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:
    You're seriously going to compare production quality on two things so wholly disparate?

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I guess it kind of makes sense that the 16-minute wankfest is the song you like the least. FTM will probably take a long time for you to get into. The average song length is like 16 minutes.

Snork on
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I first read reviews of Deloused a few years ago. Bought it, listened, went "meh", shelved it. A year or two later I decided to put in some effort. I had never done this with an album before; I invested in it. And the more "work" I put in, the more I got out of it. But after about 15 listens, I still had no idea what the fuck he was saying.

Then I found this:
    http://www.goldstandardlabs.com/marsvolta/DeLoused_storybook.pdf

And I soon realized that this album works great as a concept; it's a journey of a man OD'ing and then not really knowing if he was dead or alive. That PDF also made me realize that this is some of the creepiest shit ever. The album now invokes a sort of scary insectoid/rusty atmosphere that chills me to the bone. That's more than I can say for 95% of what I listen to. Whether it's art, whether it's actually good or not, well, I don't know. But it's interesting and that's something.

Curiously, I've never been able to get over the hump on any of TMV's other works tho.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Is it legitimate to assess lyrics when seperated from the music they're supposed to be accompanying/an intrinsic aspect of? Maybe theres some dissonance caused by such obvious wordyness being associated with loud rock music, because usually the lyrics would be along the simpler lines of 'yeah, yeah, yeah!' etc. To put it another way, maybe you're not ready for his jelly.

I'm not the worlds biggest fan of TMV (i hated their live instrumental fuckfest -- JUST PLAY THE DAMN SONGS) but I think it's cheap to write off an entire artists work as 'wank' because it's obtuse. These are some of the most evocative lyrics I've read in a long time, and are at least successful in that respect.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:
    You're seriously going to compare production quality on two things so wholly disparate?

Well what I meant was the use of sound manipulation. I think it's expanding on ideas present on Pink Floyd records rather than co-opting them.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Is it legitimate to assess lyrics when seperated from the music they're supposed to be accompanying/an intrinsic aspect of? Maybe theres some dissonance caused by such obvious wordyness being associated with loud rock music, because usually the lyrics would be along the simpler lines of 'yeah, yeah, yeah!' etc. To put it another way, maybe you're not ready for his jelly.

I'm not the worlds biggest fan of TMV (i hated their live instrumental fuckfest -- JUST PLAY THE DAMN SONGS) but I think it's cheap to write off an entire artists work as 'wank' because it's obtuse. These are some of the most evocative lyrics I've read in a long time, and are at least successful in that respect.

that seems to be a lyrical trend in general though, to be evocative of something without standing alone as solid verse.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:
    that seems to be a lyrical trend in general though, to be evocative of something without standing alone as solid verse.

So we're not complaining about TMV so much as we are all lyrics that aren't blatant? Maybe you could provide some examples of the other artists that are leaning away from the straight-forward 'i wish punk rocker with flowers in my hair' style of lyrics and leading us into a world of masturbatory nonsense.

In a way Cedrics lyrics remind me of Tychos posts; they're unnecessarily wordy, and I think he's a terrible communicator (if I have to re-read a sentence 3 times before I'm sure I've understood it, it could have been communicated in a simpler fashion). But at least Cedric seems to be working to convey a narrative full of strange visual ideas, and it probably requires all those godforsaken syllables to work. As opposed to Tychos posts which, for all their words, tend to wind up saying something along the lines of "I like game x, maybe you will too".

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I'm not complaining about the lyrics, really- as I said it's a general trend IMO, and they still elicit emotional (although with cedric it's almost purely visceral) reactions in me.

Another example of evocative but ambiguous lyrics would be Thom Yorke's. Completely differently lyrical style, but similar effects in drawing from the words through singing with the music what they don't entirely have on their own.

if that makes sense

Sam on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:
    I'm not complaining about the lyrics, really- as I said it's a general trend IMO, and they still elicit emotional (although with cedric it's almost purely visceral) reactions in me.

Another example of evocative but ambiguous lyrics would be Thom Yorke's. Completely differently lyrical style, but similar effects in drawing from the words through singing with the music what they don't entirely have on their own.

if that makes sense

Not really, but it definately evoked a sense of sense.

Hehe. No, I get you.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    EdS25 wrote:
    I first read reviews of Deloused a few years ago. Bought it, listened, went "meh", shelved it. A year or two later I decided to put in some effort. I had never done this with an album before; I invested in it. And the more "work" I put in, the more I got out of it. But after about 15 listens, I still had no idea what the fuck he was saying.

Then I found this:
    http://www.goldstandardlabs.com/marsvolta/DeLoused_storybook.pdf

And I soon realized that this album works great as a concept; it's a journey of a man OD'ing and then not really knowing if he was dead or alive. That PDF also made me realize that this is some of the creepiest shit ever. The album now invokes a sort of scary insectoid/rusty atmosphere that chills me to the bone. That's more than I can say for 95% of what I listen to. Whether it's art, whether it's actually good or not, well, I don't know. But it's interesting and that's something.

Curiously, I've never been able to get over the hump on any of TMV's other works tho.

The song where he dies creeped me out, esp (;) ) when you start getting the imagary of it in your head. Disturbing.

Aside from that hmm, I feel I can put on a Grateful Dead live album, and hear adventurous music that is easy to listen to or I can put on Francis and have my ears bleed. The only thing I hold against Francis is that it's go non stop for 70 minuets, unlike Deloused where there are quieter segments to rest your ears. But what ever, the music grabs me, the lyrics convey meaning to me so in the end they're doing their job on a level so I can be satisfied I didn't flush my money down the drain.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yeah Thom Yorke writes weird lyrics too (especially on Kid A/Amnesiac), but his I can put up with because even though they're "weird", I can make sense of them, or get a sense of what the song is about. TMV just sound like they're shooting darts at a dictionary to come up with stuff like "Transoceanic depths in this earth, in this cenotaph" and "Morgue lancet caressed your fontanelle"

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    nah they're not quite that bad. Of course if you're going to be verbose you're going to fall flat unless you're a literary genius (which Cedric isn't) but lines like "The labefaction is venal" work well in that evocative sense I was talking about earlier.

Sam on
  • Options
    Milquetoast ThugMilquetoast Thug Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:
    nah they're not quite that bad. Of course if you're going to be verbose you're going to fall flat unless you're a literary genius (which Cedric isn't) but lines like "The labefaction is venal" work well in that evocative sense I was talking about earlier.

Except when you don't know what "Labefaction" means and you've forgotten the exact definition of "venal." doesn't quite work as well when you not only have no idea what the lyrics mean, let alone know what the fucking words that compose the lyrics mean.

what the hell does venal mean again I SHOULD KNOW THIS ARG damnit I need more sleep

Milquetoast Thug on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, like I said, they have moments where the lyrics are really evocative and have some very interesting imagery, such as:

"A half-mast commute through umbilical blisters
    Spectre will lurk, radar has gathered
    Midnight nooses from boxcar cadavers
    Exoskeletal junction at the railroad delayed"

"An antiquated home afloat with engines on mute"

"Carpal jets hit the ground
    Lash of one thousand eyebrows clicking
    Counting the toll"

"Now there are those who find
    Comfort in the breathing wrong
    Is it wrong?
    It houses the watchful eyes
    They're panting in a pattern in droves
    Are they gone?"

"This face and heel
    Will drag your halo through the mud
    Ash of pompei
    Erupting in a statue's dust
    Shrouded in veils"

"And when they drag the lake there's nothing left at all"

"Avenging the lamb as bait
    In the bed of nails you made
    Who is this effigy
    Is there straw dressed in these fields?"

"One day this chalk outline will circle this city"

"It's not over 'till the tremulant sings
    These ides of march- are they so make-believe?"

"A mass of gallon sloth
    As flies have walls for feet"

Notice how they are all from De-Loused. Also they don't rely on obscure words to make interesting imagery. I dunno, whenever Cedric busts out another SAT word, it just makes me roll my eyes.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:

Except when you don't know what "Labefaction" means and you've forgotten the exact definition of "venal." doesn't quite work as well when you not only have no idea what the lyrics mean, let alone know what the fucking words that compose the lyrics mean.

what the hell does venal mean again I SHOULD KNOW THIS ARG damnit I need more sleep

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but boo hoo. I come across new words everywhere every day. Using a dicitionary isn't hard, especially not if it's an electronic/digital one like the built in OSX dictionary that can look up any word you highlight in your browser.

Sam on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You can't just go LOUD quiet LOUD quiet. It doesn't work that way.

Who made you the goddamn dynamics police?

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:
    I don't mean to sound like an ass, but boo hoo. I come across new words everywhere every day. Using a dicitionary isn't hard, especially not if it's an electronic/digital one like the built in OSX dictionary that can look up any word you highlight in your browser.

"Go to the lexicon, sluggard, if you will"

One of their most pretentious lyrics. :P
    hambone wrote:

Well, you can, but it sounds awkward and stupid.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    hambone wrote:

Just because it's not common in rock music doesn't mean it sounds awkward and stupid to all people. When I was studying in a Big Band a big deal was made of the ability of an entire 18ish-piece band to be able to go from very loud to very soft at once. Composers can and do use it, and it doesn't have to sound crap.

(*Edit for trimming of quotes)

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:

"Go to the lexicon, sluggard, if you will"

One of their most pretentious lyrics. :P
    hambone wrote:

Actually you can do so very successfully. It's just that you have to know what you're doing.

Plenty of metal songs do it.

And they're the ones that actually sound like music sometimes.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:

"the labefaction is venal" screams "I WRITE INTELLIGENT LYRICS I'M NOT LIKE THOSE OTHER BANDS GUYS LISTEN TO ME I KNOW LOTS OF WORDS"

Using obscure words for the sake of linguistic obscurity is inane, and it distances your meaning from the listener for no reason. "Labefaction" is a perfect example of a completely unnecessary, wholly masturbatory word choice.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    No, you're just picking on it for being a "big word". There are instances where this is the case, but the presence of words like labefaction don't automatically make something masturbatory. Labefaction sounds better than deterioration when sung anyway. Degradation might work too, but it's a good line, and as a rule of thumb. Bad use of big words occurs with well known words too- it's the use of diction, not the obscurity that defines whether verse is well written or awkward wanky. Cedric's is the latter quite a bit of the time, but he does write lines that work uniquely and brilliantly.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Bottom line: synonyms exist for a reason, and are not frivolous in and of themselves.

Snork on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:
    No, you're just picking on it for being a "big word". There are instances where this is the case, but the presence of words like labefaction don't automatically make something masturbatory. Labefaction sounds better than deterioration when sung anyway. Degradation might work too, but it's a good line, and as a rule of thumb. Bad use of big words occurs with well known words too- it's the use of diction, not the obscurity that defines whether verse is well written or awkward wanky. Cedric's is the latter quite a bit of the time, but he does write lines that work uniquely and brilliantly.

Yes, bad use of big words occurs all over the place. Obscurity is part of the evaluation of diction, though - if you use an obscure word, you have to have a reason, otherwise you are obscuring the clarity of your sentence for the sake of that nice big juicy word.

I, for one, have never seen the word labefaction before in my life. I have a pretty big vocabulary, but I had to look it up.

There are a number of synonyms for the word. Why choose labefaction? Maybe it suits the writer's taste. Maybe it suits his pseudo-intellectual infatuation with sounding impressive and obscure. To me, it sounds pretty awful, as do most of the lyrics from this band that I have seen posted in the thread. If you tried to use language in that way in any other form of writing, it would be laughable, but songwriting has much looser constraints for some reason. To me, it all sounds like a website full of bad angstopoetry and rotating skull gifs made by a teenager with black makeup and a thesaurus. YMMV.

"a half mast commute through umbilical blisters"? Come on. Sounds like this guy is the one naming the Splinter Cell games.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:
    Can you honestly say that you knew what it meant without looking it up? Because I have never seen that word anywhere before, ever.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif