As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HP Desktop memory distrobution

skyboxskybox Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have one of those nifty HP Pavilion A6550F's. Works great, but things like WoW are jumpy beyond any point I can handle. I'm thinking I need to move some of my 6gigs of ram to work for the on-board memory card, but I can't seem to find out how. I've checked the Setup menu during POST with no luck. All HP manuals on their website are useless, and any search via Google either turns up "No result", or tells me how I can buy more memory. Anyone else have this PC and know of a trick?

Any and all help is much appreciated.

skybox on

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm not aware that there is any way to allocate more system memory to your integrated video than what it would take by default. Perhaps something the in the BIOS? Do they have any fancy driver/control panel tools to download for it?

You may have to suck it up and buy an actual graphics card for it.
    That or turn down your settings. My wife's 3 year old laptop stutters in Dalaran and 25-mans, but otherwise is pretty useable on lowest settings.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can't do this. A dedicated graphics card is what you'll need.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Count FunkulaCount Funkula Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    On board graphics chips are not good for gaming, even for WoW, which isn't very demanding. Even a modest dedicated graphics card would make everything work 100% better. 6GB of ram is way overkill for anything you would be doing with your pc. Plus, if you are running anything less that 64-bit Vista, your PC can't use more that 2GB.

Count Funkula on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    On board graphics chips are not good for gaming, even for WoW, which isn't very demanding. Even a modest dedicated graphics card would make everything work 100% better. 6GB of ram is way overkill for anything you would be doing with your pc. Plus, if you are running anything less that 64-bit Vista, your PC can't use more that 2GB.
    Win XP 32 bit can address 3.5 gigs just fine.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Count FunkulaCount Funkula Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok, fine, 3.5 GB. Anyway, 6GB is still way overkill on ram, particularly if you are running a 32-bit OS. A dedicated graphics card will do much more to solve this problem. That was my point.

Count Funkula on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You have a PCI-E 16x slot, spend maybe $65 on a Radeon HD 4670 and it should handle it no problem.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png