Options

Graphic novel recommendations?

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oh, good call on Grendel and Mage (well, the first one anyways). I always forget those books when this topic comes up.

Hensler on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If it hasn't been said yet, let me be the first: Maus

You savages.

naporeon on
  • Options
    GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Finally read "Pride of Baghdad" last night since it was recommended in this thread.

Wow... just wow.

I'd go into everything I liked about the book, but I think I'd rather just read it again.

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • Options
    BruanBruan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So I just read Kingdom Come. Where do I go from here to learn more about Superman?

I've read Birthright and For All Seasons; and I heard JLA was good. Is there anything else, that covers Superman's time between his arrival and joining JLA?

Bruan on
    Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bruan, though it's not strictly a Superman story, Secret Identity deals with a Superman-like character on an Earth with no superheroes, and is basically awesome. It really made me fall in love with the idea of Superman.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Cool. I'm kinda all over the place with comics. I'll check it out.

So far i'm a big fan of anything Kirkman, but I've started falling in love with Superman's character since JLA on Cartoon Network.

Does anything exist that tells the story of superman from like, birthright til wherever kingdom come would be?

Also; have any of you read Frank Miller's 300? It looks neat, but you guys know more than i do, so i ask you guys first :)

Bruan on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Marvel Boy is a really awesome book, but it might take a person familiar with comics to really appreciate it. I imagine it would be overwhelming otherwise.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hellboy.

Like, let's stop fucking around here.

august on
  • Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bone counts right?

Did anyone mention Bone.

klok on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Punisher: Welcome Back Frank is really good.

Uh, i think everything else i've read/liked has been mentioned already.

I saw a collection of all the Marvel Team Up books for like 25. I've never read any of them, but i flipped through a bit. Some of them looked really goofy so i decided against it. Was i wrong?

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Flight Vol 1 2 and 3
    Justice

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I saw a collection of all the Marvel Team Up books for like 25. I've never read any of them, but i flipped through a bit. Some of them looked really goofy so i decided against it. Was i wrong?

Marvel Team-Up by Kirkman is kind of lighthearted, but there's still some down moments and unhappy twists and turns here and there. I highly reccommend the League of Losers arc if nothing else.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    How do you guys feel about Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman?

i'm going to take advantage off Buy.com's deal with google checkout; so i wanna know what's worth it :)

Bruan on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It is tremendously goofy.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Bruan wrote:

i'm going to take advantage off Buy.com's deal with google checkout; so i wanna know what's worth it :)

it's so fucking good is how i feel

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bruan wrote:

12 Trillion x YES!

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hm, looking for a good, self-contained trade.

I'm thinking 1602, because I never got around to it.

But you know if you guys have any other ideas, I'm totally up for getting something else.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    1602 isn't too bad. good art, falls apart a little plot-wise at the end.

the first authority trade isn't too bad. two good action stories featuring fun analogues of the jla.

any of the punisher max trades are self contained stories and aside from kitchen irish, they're all worth picking up

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I don't read Fables because I suck.

Is 1001 Nights of Snowfall dependent on the rest of the series, or does it stand on its own?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    1602 is awesome.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    you'd probably only care about what was happening if you'd read the rest of the series

i can't really judge, i guess, since i read it after everything else. it's mostly origin stories for a bunch of characters. it might work well as an introduction to the series, actually

edit- god. fables, i mean.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    all of the marvel essentials and dc showcase presents are great, too

get the first superman one if you're in the mood for hilariously fantastic adventures starring the strangely awkward superman.

my favorite bit from that book (which my friends and i talk about all the time) is that, in the fortress of solitude, superman has a bowling alley. but instead of the more normal 10 pin bowling, superman must play 100 pin bowling because regular bowling is merely a trifle to the Man of Steel.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ihopius wrote:
    And for those who wish to read a GN about GNs, 'Understanding Comics' by Scott McCloud.

That was our textbook for one of my classes this semester.

Skullo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I fucking hate Scott McCloud's books so much. "Shucks, when you draw one thing happening in a panel, and then draw what happened right after, it creates the illusion of movement!" Gee Scott, no fucking shit huh? I mastered that idea back when I was making little flipbooks out of index cards in the second grade.

Don't even get me started on his thing about hieroglyphics being a precursor to sequential art, and the infinite goddamn canvas. The dude clearly enjoys comics, and that's great, but Christ, some of his ideas are so conceptually innovative while being completely retarded from a practical standpoint.

Oh, and that Marvel Monsters trade, with a cover by Eric Powell, that Marvel put out a while back is awesome. Devil Dinosaur, Fin Fang Four, and more. Really cool old school monster fun.

Munch on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Hey, don't talk about Scott McCloud that way. He is rad.

Also, if you are looking for a graphic novel that is super cool and not superheroes, American Born Chinese is fantastic and great and really neat.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    If Munch ever made comics, they would probably be called 'Grumpy Comics', because it seems like he is always grumpy.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I swear to god I'm going to read this whole thread and if nobody mentioned Kraven's Last Hunt, I'm stabbing you all in the eyes.

edit: projectmayhem saved you all.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    august wrote:
    Hellboy.

Like, let's stop fucking around here.

I don't know. The early stuff is really good, but pretty soon it becomes clear Mignola has no idea where the hell to go, so things just kind of meander along, until now he's decided he's tired of the whole thing and he's rushing to wrap it up.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, since I know a lot of people love it, and when it's good it's good, but I really felt burned after I got trough the early stuff.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    I don't know. The early stuff is really good, but pretty soon it becomes clear Mignola has no idea where the hell to go, so things just kind of meander along, until now he's decided he's tired of the whole thing and he's rushing to wrap it up.

I don't agree with a single thing in this paragraph.

Yeah, Hellboy hasn't been about a strong forward plot, but now that it does you're complaining about it? And he's "rushing to finish it off?" Is that why it's almost years between Hellboy projects? Is that why Mignola hasn't done a signle Hellboy issue since Third Wish?

I mean, what the fuck are you talking about?

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    august wrote:
    werehippy wrote:

I don't agree with a single thing in this paragraph.

Yeah, Hellboy hasn't been about a strong forward plot, but now that it does you're complaining about it? And he's "rushing to finish it off?" Is that why it's almost years between Hellboy projects? Is that why Mignola hasn't done a signle Hellboy issue since Third Wish?

I mean, what the fuck are you talking about?

Well, he did The Island and Makoma earlier this year, although he only actually drew one of them.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    If Munch ever made comics, they would probably be called 'Grumpy Comics', because it seems like he is always grumpy.

Every issue would just feature every character in the story flipping off the reader, no matter what action they were taking in the story otherwise. Also, every issue would explode after the last page was turned, killing the reader instantly, and preventing open-casket funerals. Issues of Grumpy Comics would then be distributed to the families of the deceased at no charge.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Munch wrote:
    hughtron wrote:

Every issue would just feature every character in the story flipping off the reader, no matter what action they were taking in the story otherwise. Also, every issue would explode after the last page was turned, killing the reader instantly, and preventing open-casket funerals. Issues of Grumpy Comics would then be distributed to the families of the deceased at no charge.
    So basically Mark Millar's Wanted.

Ba-zing

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I swear to god I'm going to read this whole thread and if nobody mentioned Kraven's Last Hunt, I'm stabbing you all in the eyes.

I recommend Kraven's Last Hunt. :D

In all seriousness…this book was fantastic and everyone should own it.

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Has anyone mentioned Fell? I don't think it's in tpb form yet, but at $2 a pop and only 6(?) issues so far, it's well worth it. Excellent writing, excellent art, and I really enjoy the back matter - 3 or 4 pages of Warren Ellis just talking about the creation of the comic.

You might also enjoy Ashley Wood's Lore. It's a very unique and messy art style that I happen to love.

Both of these have very dark stories and atmospheres. Fell specifically concerns itself with Feral Cities - like feral children, only, you know, cities. Lore is a bit more Neil Gaimanish in terms of drawing upon mythology and faeries and old legends like that. I heart them both.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006

Shoe, I read Kraven's Last Hunt

it sucked

it was pretty good, yeah

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The Kree-Skrull War is classic if you like the Avengers, and is supposed to be a big part of Marvel storylines after Civil War. Pick it up if you've never read it.

Hensler on
  • Options
    ihopiusihopius Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Munch wrote:
    I fucking hate Scott McCloud's books so much. "Shucks, when you draw one thing happening in a panel, and then draw what happened right after, it creates the illusion of movement!" Gee Scott, no fucking shit huh? I mastered that idea back when I was making little flipbooks out of index cards in the second grade.

I respectfully disagree Munch. Though 'Understanding Comics' is by no means perfect or complete, it is one of the only attempts I know of to formalize what makes comics work. I basically see it as a deconstruction of the medium and an examination of the variety of storytelling techniques available to an artist or writer doing comics. Just for that it's useful and interesting.

Will much of the material seem obvious to those of us who read a lot of comics? Absolutely. Is Scott a bit 'overly enthusiastic' at times? Sure. But to get down on him for the attempt is like admonishing early chemist-alchemists for not knowing what the hell oxygen was.

[ Wait, thought of another one. 'Understanding Minicomics - The art and Science of Stick Figures' by Matt Feazell. It's also a funny parody of 'Understanding Comics'. ;) ]

ihopius on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bruan wrote:
    Cool. I'm kinda all over the place with comics. I'll check it out.

So far i'm a big fan of anything Kirkman, but I've started falling in love with Superman's character since JLA on Cartoon Network.

Does anything exist that tells the story of superman from like, birthright til wherever kingdom come would be?
    Like... the whole story? They're still writing it.

Man of Steel (the post-crisis Superman restart) is supposed to be pretty good. I don't know how it relates to Birthright, though, as I haven't read it. (Yet.)

All I know is that "Superman for All Seasons" and "Superman: Up, Up, and Away are pretty awesome."

The Death and Return of Superman are more important than they are good, though Return is KIND OF enjoyable.

Most of the other cool Superman stories I can think of are out of continuity (like Kingdom Come). "Red Son" is really good but slightly overrated, except for the ending which is the best thing ever. "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" is an awesome ending to the silver age version of Supes.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Cool, cool!

i am trying to get a bunch of invincible trades. what's the difference between 1st and 2nd printings? not much, right?

My girlfriend bought me Superman: The Dailies 1939-1942
    it's cool to see that super old school stuff :)

Bruan on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    ihopius wrote:
    I respectfully disagree Munch. Though 'Understanding Comics' is by no means perfect or complete, it is one of the only attempts I know of to formalize what makes comics work. I basically see it as a deconstruction of the medium and an examination of the variety of storytelling techniques available to an artist or writer doing comics. Just for that it's useful and interesting.

Will much of the material seem obvious to those of us who read a lot of comics? Absolutely. Is Scott a bit 'overly enthusiastic' at times? Sure. But to get down on him for the attempt is like admonishing early chemist-alchemists for not knowing what the hell oxygen was.

Yeah, I think that's fair. To a layperson who's never picked up a comic, McCloud's books may be pretty enlightening, but to me they were just sort of old hat, and I had to force myself to read through them. I do kind of think it's cool that McCloud has basically carved a niche out for himself, and his entire job is basically just talking about comics all the time.

Munch on