As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mother is getting a Blu-Ray player...should she just get a PS3?

DarwinsFavoriteTortoiseDarwinsFavoriteTortoise Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so my mother recently bought a 60inch 1080p HDTV. Shes been enjoying it, but for some reason if refusing to take advantage of the increased resolution with a Blu-Ray player.

We were at the store the other day and she finally saw a Blu-Ray movie (Bolt) in motion and was amazed. She says she's going to get one soon.

Is the PS3 still the best Blu-Ray player? Of course, I wouldn't mind the PS3 for the games as well, but I'm just wondering if its still a good deal.

Thanks.

P.S. I was reading in a review of the PS3 that it upconverts normal DVDs. Firstly, is this true, and secondly, is this a feature of all Blu-Ray players? I would LOVE to see the LOTR extended trilogy upconverted on the HDTV.

DarwinsFavoriteTortoise on

• SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok, so my mother recently bought a 60inch 1080p HDTV. Shes been enjoying it, but for some reason if refusing to take advantage of the increased resolution with a Blu-Ray player.

We were at the store the other day and she finally saw a Blu-Ray movie (Bolt) in motion and was amazed. She says she's going to get one soon.

Is the PS3 still the best Blu-Ray player? Of course, I wouldn't mind the PS3 for the games as well, but I'm just wondering if its still a good deal.

Thanks.

P.S. I was reading in a review of the PS3 that it upconverts normal DVDs. Firstly, is this true, and secondly, is this a feature of all Blu-Ray players? I would LOVE to see the LOTR extended trilogy upconverted on the HDTV.

Fairly sure they all upconvert. I know mine does, and it was one of the first Sony's on the market that wasn't a PS3.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like my PS3 better than the blu-ray player my grandmother has. It's just easier to download the latest updates and mess with the settings. Plus it has a built in hard drive so you can use a lot of the additional features found on Blu-Ray movies (like Live and track/scene saves). Also the PlayStation store has downloadable trailers and movies/tv-shows (in hd and sd) for rent/sell.

Plus built in wireless, which is always great. It's what $150 more than most Blu-Ray players, but it also has so many more features.

Invisible on
  • RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It depends.

We're geeks, technically minded; we care about the ability to update to the latest software versions, wireless connectivity, etc.

Your mom just wants to watch movies in HD, and would probably want the ability to upscale DVDs to her HD display and compliments whatever sound system she currently has (although she probably doesn't realise it). Just get her a cheaper player that has the above features, and she'll be happy. Probably happier than she would be paying extra for whatever essentially the same thing that has a torrent of extra features that she will never, ever touch.

Rohaq on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Also, remember that your Mother's eyesight might not be all that great anymore. My Dad was super into getting his home theatre setup, he spent months reading all the magazines, finding exactly the right kit to buy for his budget. I am almost certain he doesn't notice the difference when he is watching a upscaled DVD vs an HD transmission.

Shit, I have great eyesight, and I find it pretty hard too.

So I guess what I'm saying is, more expensive and more features doesn't necessarily mean you'll get more out of it.

Lewisham on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    There's really no point in her spending an extra $150 to get a PS3 instead of a blu-ray player.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you think she or you will make use of the other features (games/music/video/Web), then yeah, a PS3 is a great choice. You will have to get the remote, only $25 so not a big deal, but does add to the cost.

If it's going to be 99.9% BR player, a good networked one might be an easier option.

MichaelLC on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rohaq wrote: »
    It depends.

We're geeks, technically minded; we care about the ability to update to the latest software versions, wireless connectivity, etc.

Your mom just wants to watch movies in HD, and would probably want the ability to upscale DVDs to her HD display and compliments whatever sound system she currently has (although she probably doesn't realise it). Just get her a cheaper player that has the above features, and she'll be happy. Probably happier than she would be paying extra for whatever essentially the same thing that has a torrent of extra features that she will never, ever touch.

Unless you have any reason to believe she would use the PS3 there is no reason for her to get one.

VisionOfClarity on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    From a personal, technical point of view, the easy of which the PS3 can update BD-ROM player profiles makes it worth it - that could change in the future though, so who knows.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Blu-Ray spec is still malleable and may be upgraded again in the future. For example, this week an announcement went out that digital 3D movie technology is being integrated into the Blu-Ray spec, and it’s safe to assume that the PS3 will get a free upgrade. Other players might not.

And yes, the PS3 is one of the best upconverting DVD players out there, especially for black-and-white.

supabeast on
  • MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I want a PS3, but only for the Blu-Ray Player really. Are the updates and upgrades really that big an issue with other BR players?

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MC Mystery wrote: »
    I want a PS3, but only for the Blu-Ray Player really. Are the updates and upgrades really that big an issue with other BR players?

If you end up with a lot of "50 hours of extra content!!!!" types movies, it can be. Iron Man, Transformers, and others try to download extra stuff, so you need somewhere to put it, either on USB stick, or on a HD (PS3).

You may remember a lot of players shit a brick when they tried playing IM the first time because the content severs got overloaded and the players didn't know what to do. PS3s worked fine, as did other players that were programed to give up/prompt on the d/l process.

MichaelLC on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's that, plus as BR updates their formats subtly the PS3's automatic updates will keep it functioning flawlessly. Other BR players...not as easy to upgrade.

Spend the cash, it'll save you and her headaches wondering why her fancy new Blu-Ray movie won't play.

Iceman.USAF on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I think some of you guys are nuts. My Samsung BR player, I select Update and it updates. Simple as that. It's no harder or easier than the PS3 and I saved about 200 bucks.

And besides, if you're gonna network the PS3, that means you have the capability to network the BR player too. Just save your money and get a BR player.

JustinSane07 on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Older Blu-Ray players don't have network capabilities, thus to update you have to download the firmware, burn it, then put it in.

To be honest, it really sucks. Newer Blu-Ray players don't have this problem though.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • RazielRaziel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If your mom's not a gamer, why get a gaming system? BRD systems these days are more than adequate, now that the format is more established.

Raziel on
    Read the mad blog-rantings of a manic hack writer here.

Thank you, Rubacava!
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, I've got a PS3 and Play TV, its brill. I bought a 40gb one, upgraded the hard drive (well, Lewie did, but it was easy) and I have shed loads of Dr Who to watch now. I've ditched the DVD player and video recorder totally, I recird straight onto the PS3 hard drive, I can download stuff to my PC, stick it on a pen drive and watch it on the TV instead of my tiny PC monitor.

And I can play some games if I want to.

I love it!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    edited May 2009
    [Being awesome, as usual.]

And my mother still doesn't have a DVR.

Have you tried streaming from your PC to the PS3? It's supposed to connect to WMP pretty well.

MichaelLC on