As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

North Korea Nuclear Test (round two!)

12346»

• SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    i'm just hoping hes the a fun loving rockstar of a dictator that most 24 year olds aspire to be. Though the megalomania might be genetic.

Doesn't have to be. If you're the 26/7-year-old head of state, even symbolically though not in reality, of a country as militarized as North Korea, you're going to be a megalomaniac. Think of it as a requirement. Or better yet, think of it as this: at the age of 26, you are appointed governor of a state in New England. Except that this state has thousands of tanks, more than a million men under arms, and one of the world's tightest air-defense networks.

And your neighbor is Rhode Island. Just regular Rhode Island. Except they have some tanks, and really love Starcraft.

You're going to be at least somewhat of a megalomaniac, even if your people are starving in the meantime. The real question will be how he compares to his father, and when he'll actually secure power for himself.

Yeah, but to complete this analogy...

Your other neighbor is New York. You used to get along reasonably well with New York. New York didn't really like your people running across the border and collecting food stamps, but you guys still had some trade going. But now, New York is mad you are getting uppity right all up alongside its borders. And while you have your tanks, and a million men at arms and an air defense network, New York has you outclassed in every manner.

What I am saying is, hopefully New York will help curb his crazy.

Saammiel on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    An update:

After the May bomb test, the UN adopted a resolution authorising member states to stop and search any North Korean ships "with the flag country's consent". North Korea promptly said that it would regard any such searching as a 'declaration of war' (it goes without saying that consent is not given).

So... time to decide whether to call its bluff. The Kang Nam left North Korea on Wednesday and is heading to either Singapore or Myanmar. "Another defense official said the North Korean ship was one of a group of vessels previously linked to illicit missile-related cargo."

In either case it has to pass through waters heavily patrolled by the US Navy. The destroyer USS John McCain (auspicious name, mirite) is apparently shadowing it, already.

I don't think anything will happen - yet another step in a long series of attempts to attract some attention - but it's an important step, anyway.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i'm just hoping hes the a fun loving rockstar of a dictator that most 24 year olds aspire to be. Though the megalomania might be genetic.

Doesn't have to be. If you're the 26/7-year-old head of state, even symbolically though not in reality, of a country as militarized as North Korea, you're going to be a megalomaniac. Think of it as a requirement. Or better yet, think of it as this: at the age of 26, you are appointed governor of a state in New England. Except that this state has thousands of tanks, more than a million men under arms, and one of the world's tightest air-defense networks.

And your neighbor is Rhode Island. Just regular Rhode Island. Except they have some tanks, and really love Starcraft.

You're going to be at least somewhat of a megalomaniac, even if your people are starving in the meantime. The real question will be how he compares to his father, and when he'll actually secure power for himself.

The South Korean war machine is far, far more powerful than North Korea's. They also have one of the most advanced Navies in the world too and would put NK to the sword rather easily.

Problem is, North Korea have 10,000 artillery pieces pointed at Seoul and could elimate the entire city in a matter of minutes if ordered to...

Docken on
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Saammiel wrote: »

Your other neighbor is New York. You used to get along reasonably well with New York. New York didn't really like your people running across the border and collecting food stamps, but you guys still had some trade going. But now, New York is mad you are getting uppity right all up alongside its borders. And while you have your tanks, and a million men at arms and an air defense network, New York has you outclassed in every manner.

Only New York is totally prissy in dealing with you because otherwise all the New England assholes will run into New York, and I mean who the fuck wants a zillion fuckers from Boston suddenly coming into your state and wanting food and shit because they're starving?

Invariably they'd be Pats and Celtics fans, too, the cunts.

Wait what are we talking about?

Duki on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Duki wrote: »

Only New York is totally prissy in dealing with you because otherwise all the New England assholes will run into New York, and I mean who the fuck wants a zillion fuckers from Boston suddenly coming into your state and wanting food and shit because they're starving?

What's Japan in all of this?

Delaware or something?

DarkCrawler on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Duki wrote: »

What's Japan in all of this?

Delaware or something?

Well Delaware does complain that New England keeps kidnapping its citizens. :P

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.