As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fly me to teh [moon] DS and let me blow away the bots.

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
So this is about a wonderful little game called Moon

I know that we have strong and well versed pallets on PA so I won't mince words and cut corners.

This is a FPS on the ds and its done well. You control with the d pad and move the stylus around the touchscreen to look around.

Overall, the gameplay is a lot like Metroid, but broken into different "hatches" (read dungeons) and a light little vehicle section in between a few of them. The story is not as bad as some other things we have seen but the boss fights have a good deal of thought and care put into them. two bosses in and I can't put it down.

On its own merits Moon is a fun game and well worth the money, definitely a cross country game to play and then play again for time trial.

Comparing to many of the other FPS fanfare on the ds and how well it does it, its a remarkable piece of software. Honestly, its the closest thing to Metroid I have found thats actually fun. The mini rover probe is not just a cliche mini game quest item but is an actual weapon to help you with blind corners, something I wish I could have had more often in Half Life 2 and wish it wasn't so lame in Deus Ex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXBNfNiVxRs

X-Play's review

RoyceSraphim on

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, I watched this before it came out and thought it looked awesome but it's been pushed aside for other gaming...

Maybe I should fix that. It looks like they really tried hard on this one.

And then there's CORE, the one with great online multiplayer that is supposed to be like Quake.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, I got this when it came out and it is pretty good. It's just a shame that there's not more to do beyond the bonus challenges once you've beaten it. Multiplayer would have been really nicce.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I picked this up when I heard it got cut to only $20. I was pretty impressed. I was worried about limited controls; keep forgetting that the touch screen can have context-sensitive "buttons."

There's actually a decent amount of V/O work here. Anyone know how much storage there is on a DS cart? I'm fairly certain it's quite a bit smaller than that on a PSX CD, am I right?

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There is a bug on the first level after you move to the second hatch; don't drive to the garage, just park it by the spires.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Isn't this by the guys who did that other survival horror game? I forget the name, but it really pushed the system and it pleases me to see them doing quality work.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Isn't this by the guys who did that other survival horror game? I forget the name, but it really pushed the system and it pleases me to see them doing quality work.

Dementium.

Good-ish game...not great, but definitely an interesting effort, and Moon improves on it in any way, I'll be sure to give it a spin.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have Moon coming this week from Goozex, been itching for some good DS fps action lately.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ha, I got a glitch really early on, although I just loaded up the save close by.

Don't run away from the uh killorbs when you make them spawn, I guess.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Been playing this on and off in the past few weeks, and I've got to echo the sentiments that this is a really solid shooter on the DS. I haven't played Metroid so I don't know if its better, but it's definitely entertaining. Hurts my hands nearly as much as Geometry Wars though

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png