As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MMA] 3 - Punching dicks for half an hour!

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Again, we have a reason.

There are 100's of heavyweights in the US who undoubtedly auditioned, have a better record, and are more legitimate fighters than him, and could beat him up.

For the record kimbo is REALLY bottom tier. He was starting to show a little promise when he was working with a good team, but right now as a heavyweight I rank him basically right above the sulky kid from Never Back Down

JohnnyCache on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Again, we have a reason.

There are 100's of heavyweights in the US who undoubtedly auditioned, have a better record, and are more legitimate fighters than him, and could beat him up.

One of the reasons was also that you don't want the sport to become a spectacle, right?

Remind me who it was again that brought in an ex-WWE star who basically immediately got a title shot against opponents while he had a huge weight advantage?

Just like Dana White, that argument is full of shit. Like it or not, it's about the draw, and Kimbo brings the fans.

Still not worth hating him for, because it's not his fault. Blame Dana White and the UFC.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    Again, we have a reason.

One of the reasons was also that you don't want the sport to become a spectacle, right?

Remind me who it was again that brought in an ex-WWE star who basically immediately got a title shot against opponents while he had a huge weight advantage?

Just like Dana White, that argument is full of shit. Like it or not, it's about the draw, and Kimbo brings the fans.

Still not worth hating him for, because it's not his fault. Blame Dana White and the UFC.

That's a good point. Brock Lesnar hasn't been criticized anywhere and is universally beloved
    amongst penis-on-chest tattoo enthusiasts
    and except for being a much better fighter and athlete with a much better amateur resume they're the same guy.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited September 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Again, we have a reason.

That's a good point. Brock Lesnar hasn't been criticized anywhere and is universally beloved
    amongst penis-on-chest tattoo enthusiasts
    and except for being a much better fighter and athlete with a much better amateur resume they're the same guy.

You'd have to be crazy to say that they're the same.

Brock Lesnar is worse.

The point though is that your "anti-spectacle" argument holds no water.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok people need to stop with the "Brock can't help winning, he's so much heavier than his opponents" nonsense. If weight were the only thing that mattered, Bob Sapp would be the most feared man in MMA. You've still got to have skills and you've still got to be a phenomenal athlete to win fights, period.

Got Fight kind of sucked after all. It started out well but dissolved into Forrest's ramblings about whatever. Actually, it started heading downhill shortly after my last post. Read it if you're a Forrest fan, skip it if you're not.

EDIT: Kimbo is 100% worse than Brock Lesnar. Brock was a phenomenal college wrestler, he was the last guy cut from an NFL training camp after having not played football since high school, and he's beaten a bunch of legit guys. Kimbo's a literal nobody who gained fame from youtube videos of him beating down guys smaller and weaker than him, who's shown no real aptitude for any aspect of mixed martial arts aside from swinging really really hard.

Peen on
    edited September 2009
    EDIT: Kimbo is 100% worse than Brock Lesnar.

Really? Brock is an ex-WWE star, has a chest-penis, and flips off the fans and the sponsors and acts the heel.

I doubt ANYTHING Kimbo can do will make the UFC more "spectacle" than what Brock has been doing. Kimbo has shown that he's a nice guy.

Edit: Oh you're trying to turn an argument about the spectacle into a non-related argument about skills, which has no bearing on the current situation. Please read the arguments next time and realize what people are talking about.

edited September 2009
    No, what I was trying to do was say that there are reasons that I'm willing to overlook Brock's douchey behavior.

Kimbo is 100% spectacle. That's it. He's a draw because he's a known entity, that's it. It's the only reason he's on TUF, it's the only reason anyone pays attention to him at all. If Brock had no game I'd say that same thing about him, but he's playing the heel after he wins. If Kimbo wins I'll take him seriously, but until than all he's doing is undermining the legitimacy of a sport that struggles to prove it's more than the WWE with blood or the dreaded "human cockfighting."

Peen on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So this morning I am watching cartoon network as I am often want to do and cut to a commercial.

Three kids standing in a mostly white room loafing about and guess who the fuck walks into the room?

Bas Rutten.

He yells "PUSH UPS!"

And some weird timer starts and at this point I am both laughing hysterically and terrified. I guess Cartoon Network is saying get the fuck off of your couch or they are sending Bas after you kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-uE_WaRDmE

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    No, what I was trying to do was say that there are reasons that I'm willing to overlook Brock's douchey behavior.

Kimbo is 100% spectacle. That's it. He's a draw because he's a known entity, that's it. It's the only reason he's on TUF, it's the only reason anyone pays attention to him at all. If Brock had no game I'd say that same thing about him, but he's playing the heel after he wins. If Kimbo wins I'll take him seriously, but until than all he's doing is undermining the legitimacy of a sport that struggles to prove it's more than the WWE with blood or the dreaded "human cockfighting."

So you're saying as long as Kimbo wins, everything is peachy keen?

Okay, we're in agreement there.

Edit: Hahah, oh Bas.

He was a cool guy when I met him last month. Got a signed Liver Shot shirt. :lol:

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    omg
    i cannot stop laughing
    help

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited September 2009
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    omg
    i cannot stop laughing
    help

There is only one cure:

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/evans-jackson-postponed-until-early-2010-19568

Rampage to star as B.A. Baracus in remake of A-Team. Won't fight Evans at TUF10 Finale.

:lol:

o_O Is this a joke? Wouldn't it be easier to move shooting schedule around for a movie than to break a contractual agreement for a headliner fight?

I'm not in any way opposed to MMA fighters showing up in acting roles, even when they seem to make MMA look bad as some sort of stupid underground illegal cock fight if it proves to be entertaining, like say that funny juxtaposition in that Jet Li movie Cradle to the Grave.

Damn it, if anything, if it is real, Rampage should take Evans with him, force them to write in a role for him so BA gets a buddy, that might make up for it.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Rampage to star as B.A. Baracus in remake of A-Team. Won't fight Evans at TUF10 Finale.

o_O Is this a joke? Wouldn't it be easier to move shooting schedule around for a movie than to break a contractual agreement for a headliner fight?

I'm not in any way opposed to MMA fighters showing up in acting roles, even when they seem to make MMA look bad as some sort of stupid underground illegal cock fight if it proves to be entertaining, like say that funny juxtaposition in that Jet Li movie Cradle to the Grave.

Damn it, if anything, if it is real, Rampage should take Evans with him, force them to write in a role for him so BA gets a buddy, that might make up for it.

Shooting movies takes a lot of hours, Rampage will probably have to take a lot of time off from training.

Also they will also have specific deadlines because of investors, producers, other actors, locations needed etc. etc. Moving a movie shoot around for 1 actor is much more involved than moving a fight around.

GogoKodo on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Brock is a very talented fighter. He's got superb (real) wrestling credentials. He's got a dedicated fight team and he's an excellent athlete as he's proven with both his tryouts in NFL and the aforementioned wrestling.

But, the dude is huge. He had a 50+ weight advantage when he took the title from Randy Couture, and Couture was competitive right up until that knockout.

The argument that "well if weight matters then Bob Sapp would be king of the world lol" is not valid, because Bob Sapp is a very very poor fighter with barely any skills at all relevant to the elite. This became painfully obvious as soon as people figured him out and as soon as he stopped fighting tiny asian men.

It's when you add 'weight advantage' + 'skill' that this issue gets a bit controversial. And, it seems like Brock got both of these elements. Not to take anything away from Brock, but if it was any other division than HW, he'd be around 1-2 weightclasses above many of his opponents.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So this morning I am watching cartoon network as I am often want to do and cut to a commercial.

Three kids standing in a mostly white room loafing about and guess who the fuck walks into the room?

Bas Rutten.

He yells "PUSH UPS!"

And some weird timer starts and at this point I am both laughing hysterically and terrified. I guess Cartoon Network is saying get the fuck off of your couch or they are sending Bas after you kids.

This is why we can have nice things.

By the way, who's tried out the BAS?

http://www.bodyactionsystem.com/

I know it's automatically legit and awesome because it was made by El Guapo, but I would like to know and see if this is a real break through in terms of training equipment, or just something that falls just slightly short.

doug_grammar on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009

Considering Rampage's duckage of Machida I wouldn't say that fighting is his highest priority.

Dynagrip on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    EDIT: Kimbo is 100% worse than Brock Lesnar.

Really? Brock is an ex-WWE star, has a chest-penis, and flips off the fans and the sponsors and acts the heel.

I doubt ANYTHING Kimbo can do will make the UFC more "spectacle" than what Brock has been doing. Kimbo has shown that he's a nice guy.

Edit: Oh you're trying to turn an argument about the spectacle into a non-related argument about skills, which has no bearing on the current situation. Please read the arguments next time and realize what people are talking about.

It's not an unrelated argument. If you have skills, you can get away with more attitude. Brock's greater achievements before UFC also make it (marginally) less preposterous to jump him to the top. Of course, making it through TUF auditions isn't the same as making it straight into the top 5 in your weight. TUF has had a history of picking a few "characters" each season.

Did anyone see the "Tap out job" episode of Leverage? It's on Netflix if you haven't.

It was interesting to me for several reasons - it correctly depicted the payouts for MMA.

Besides having quite a bit to say about MMA as a sport, the episode opened with an MMA sequence where a guy goes for a takedown and a kimura and they felt no particular need to explain what is going on.

this tells me MMA is achieving some cultural penetration.

JohnnyCache on
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bas Rutten is great. He is supposedly a bit of a dick really, but he's fricking hilarious when it comes to his self defence videos and his general attitude towards fighting.

Johannen on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That BAS machine looks like it would provide a good workout while training strikes. I fucking want one.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    that thing looks like a great way to break your hands and/or feet.

Dynagrip on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Only having seen the video, I really like it. Looks like a great way to practice striking.

Inquisitor77 on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That machine is hilarious. I'd rather have a heavy-bag I think.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited September 2009
    kimbo on the machine is funny too
    too bad you can't do ground work with the machine
    eh? eh? m i rite?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited September 2009
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    That BAS machine looks like it would provide a good workout while training strikes. I fucking want one.

For what it costs you could easily buy a heavy bag, a speed bag, and a double-end bag and a decent stand for them. It doesn't look like a bad product but I can't see myself buying except maybe for an apt.

Also fuck dummy-slams yesterday was OK but I HURT today.

JohnnyCache on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

Same here, but sadly, it'll have to cost you around five hundred liver shots.
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Yeah, because of the metal sticks, right? You'll think if it costed that much at least it would be covered up more or something.

I think the real problem with it is that it doesn't move, and that means the chances of it replacing the heavy bag is zero. However, it really comes off as some new and improved version of those standing dummies because those were totally flawed in the first place, so having this is much better than "Bob" easily.

doug_grammar on
    edited September 2009
    I would like bobs if they were posed better, had stiffer heads, and weighed more.

JohnnyCache on
    edited September 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »

teakdummycomplete.jpg

edited September 2009
    that's a wing chun dummy. It's safe for them to hit solid surfaces, because of how limply they hit.

JohnnyCache on
    edited September 2009
    that's a wing chun dummy. It's safe for them to hit solid surfaces, because of how limply they hit.

well sometimes it even wins

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited September 2009
    I know this is going to get locked, but before it does:

Couture vs. Vera to headline UFC 105

Is that the cruddiest headlining fight ever? It's the worst one I can remember, that's for damn sure.

Peen on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Is that the cruddiest headlining fight ever? It's the worst one I can remember, that's for damn sure.

Two heavyweights drop down because they can't compete with the Superheavyweights.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    GogoKodo wrote: »
    Shooting movies takes a lot of hours, Rampage will probably have to take a lot of time off from training.

Also they will also have specific deadlines because of investors, producers, other actors, locations needed etc. etc. Moving a movie shoot around for 1 actor is much more involved than moving a fight around.
    Not to mention the long term symptoms of lactose intolerance he'll be experiencing once he drinks all that drugged milk.

GungHo on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    HEY FOLKS WHO MAY LIVE IN THE TORONTO AREA

I live in Toronto and my girlfriend and I are planning to go to a bar this saturday for UFC 103.

Is anyone interested in coming with?

PM me and we'll work out details!

Pony on
    edited September 2009

Two heavyweights drop down because they can't compete with the Superheavyweights.

The superheavyweight is what you mean

JohnnyCache on
    edited September 2009

The superheavyweight is what you mean

Guys. What I'm trying to say is, can this fight possibly be competitive? Vera's looked sluggish as hell in his LHW fights and even though Randy may have lost a step, I don't see any way he doesn't grind Vera down into mush. It's a joke of a main fight and I don't see why they'd promote it to headline a card.

Peen on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, sadly, sweet ass striking gear in the comfort of my own home is not feasible for years and years. At least I have access to a gym with heavy bags. Not much else in there though.

Also, tonight was low kick night. My night!

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fight night tomorrow.

I'm curious to see if Huerta still got it. Also interested to see if Nate can sub Guillard or if Guillard is going to be able to avoid the submission like in the last fight he had.

Overall I think it's a pretty good fight night

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Vera had to drop down because he couldn't compete at the top in a totally mediocre heavyweight division at the time. He's 3-3 in his last 6 fights.

At least Coture is losing to good fighters, Vera has been pretty uninspiring recently.

UFC 105: Watch an old man beat the hell out of some guy who couldn't even hold Machida's jock!

Snarfmaster on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Vera had to drop down because he couldn't compete at the top in a totally mediocre heavyweight division at the time. He's 3-3 in his last 6 fights.

At least Coture is losing to good fighters, Vera has been pretty uninspiring recently.

UFC 105: Watch an old man beat the hell out of some guy who couldn't even hold Machida's jock!

Well I was thinking of going to 105 but I am gonna pass now. I do think Hardy v Stun Gun and Wilkes v Brown will be great fights (as well as Taylor v Hathaway) but between Bisping Kang and this I can do more with £100.

I miss the Bisping of TUF3 with his flying knees, chasing a jab decision is boring as all hell even if you win.

Venkman90 on
    edited September 2009
    Seeing the events in person is pretty cool. If it won't break the bank it's worth checking out for sure.

Dynagrip on
This discussion has been closed.