As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

friends departure

Portugal.TheMarkPortugal.TheMark Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My best friend is leaving for ohio today. It came without warning to me, and his girlfriend who he was living with. He lost his job, and couldn't afford to live on his own anymore so he had to move back in with his parents who live in Macedonia about 40 minutes from clevland. We live in Ypsi Michigan which sets 4-5 hours away from him. I shouldn't be as broken up as I am over this, but honestly he's really the only friend I have left. The only other people I have left are my girlfriend whom I adore and love, and his girlfriend. I just feel so alone now. I feel like I have no one left, and mostly feel like it's all my fault. I don't know if how I'm feeling is even right since it's not like he died or moved to China. Am I completely crazy for being this upset, or is this normal?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Portugal.TheMark on

• Options
    xeviqxeviq Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You gonna visit him? 5 hours twice a month isn't that bad.
    I wanna know can't his gf support him for a bit while he finds a new job?

xeviq on
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You're not crazy, it's hard to lose a friend. It's just as hard to move too. The fact that he moved in with his parents may be a good thing though, since he won't have signed a lease. If he can get back on his feet maybe he can move up there with you guys again. His GF still lives up where you live, I am fairly sure he will come visit.

Things will change, and it sucks, but your friendship isn't going to end. Who knows where things will be in a couple of years.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You have the internet too, and you're on a gaming forum so I'm assuming you play at least a few. One of my best friends and former college roommate lives 900 miles from me, but we still play L4D or CoD a few nights a week and chat online.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That and well, looks like you are going to be spending a lot more time with your GF. That's a good thing though, right? :)

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    ElrosstElrosst Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Two of my best friends live 16 hours away. You'll learn to get by with gaming, phone calls, emails or you'll lose touch. It sounds like you're really going to miss your friend, so if you both are dedicated enough to keep in touch, you shouldn't have a problem.

Elrosst on
  • Options
    SebbieSebbie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you feel like you don't have anyone to hang out with join a recreational volleyball league where volleyball can be any other summer sport (ultimate frisbee, softball, ball hockey, uugh... horse shoeing). It can help you meet new people and get your mind off things.

My other advice would pretty much just mirror what everyone else has said.

Sebbie on
    "It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pretty much just going to echo playing games together that you both enjoy. My best friend lives in St Louis, MO and I love near D.C.. We play COD5, Halo Wars and a few other games together online 3 or 4 nights a week. Certainly not as nice as living right by each other, but you learn to deal with it after a bit.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    TinuzTinuz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That sucks, but the way you feel is normal. After a while you'll get used to it, make do with what you have and start feeling normal again.

Also, maybe it is time to find a few other friends? From your post it seems that he is your only friend...of course depending on your definition of friend, that is not that much. Especially in today's environment where moving is rather commonplace (I used to live in an International Dormitory, this stuff would happen every 6 months).

Tinuz on
  • Options
    Portugal.TheMarkPortugal.TheMark Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    those are all really good ideas. It makes me feel better knowing that we have those things we can do to stay in touch. It just kind of sucks knowing that one of my only guy friends that I had any real life contact with is gone. I feel like the walls are closing in, and there is nothing I can do about it. I should get out there and find other friends.

Portugal.TheMark on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Have you considered moving?

I mean, it depends upon where you live, but if you're in one of those tiny little dead-end towns, this is what people do: they get the fuck out as soon as they can.

It took me a long time to do, but once I did, I knew that it was the best decision I ever made. Now, I go back to visit, and I'm bored to tears. I have no idea how the hell I put up with it for as long as I did.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    kharvelankharvelan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    one of my best friends lives in hollywood CA, and I live in Cbus OH, we still talk at least once a week on the phone and see eachother a couple times a year.

the world is not that big.

kharvelan on
    go fuck yourself PA forums