As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gay Marriage: In striking it down it shall become more powerful than you can imagine

• Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    zilo wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that people who support civil unions are 90% of the way to supporting gay marriage, they just haven't heard the separate-but-equal argument yet.

I've given people that argument. Doesn't sway them.

Wish it would, though.

I find that amazing. One imagines that such a conversation can only follow one track, leading inevitably to the conclusion that marriage is a civil right and it can't be denied to one group because God said gays are icky.

zilo on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Both Governors who only went as far as Civil Unions were persuaded by redundant additions that covered the churches, so it can't take people that much to get on board the whole way.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    You think ruling against Prop 8 would have been throwing democracy out the window?

Was there anything in Prop 8 being put into law that made it an invalid law? It was put to vote by the people, and the people decided to pass it. I don't see how saying "Well... that was stupid so fuck the voice of the people" would be ok.

This is correct but not because it's the "voice of the people" but rather because the California Constitution says the people can do this.

The ruling should have been upheld because well, it's constitutional. I'm not sure if the people who were protesting against this don't realize this is the case or simply don't care.

Of course that doesn't make the California constitution right, and certainly the majority is not right in this case (and historically often isn't), which is why under a well crafted constitution you would need a super majority to make things like prop 8 actual law.

So first, get another proposition on the ballot to overturn this and then take a stab at fixing California's schizo constitutional amendment process.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »
    I think upholding Prop 8 was the right decision.

I think Prop 8 was without a doubt the wrong decision.

But breaking down the idea of democracy would've been a horrible idea.

I don't want to see any restriction on gay rights, I can't understand anyone who has anything against it, even though I try to, but man, throwing democracy out the window is also bad idea.

Really this makes me respect the california courts while continuing to have very little respect for what apparently are the majority of the californian citizenry.

The whole idea behind American Democracy is Majority Rule with Minority Rights. The decision today just eliminated that last part and said to go at it with a Tyranny of the Majority. Fuck those homoqueers. If anything I'd say that the decision today broke down the idea of Democracy further than if they had ruled that Prop-8 constituted a Revision and was thus invalidated. As thing stand a majority of the populace in California are now legally capable of undoing any Democratically made decision previously ensuring that majority rule is not sacrosanct.

Tyranny of the Minority is just as bad as Tyranny of the Majority, if not worse.

Obs on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You never fail to disappoint.

Glal on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Obs bomb! Everyone head for the logic shelters!

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    Tyranny of the Minority is just as bad as Tyranny of the Majority, if not worse.

You're absolutely right. But in this case the tyranny of the majority strongly affects the minority (denying them equal rights), but the "tyranny" of the minority... has no effect on the majority at all.

Even if it did (like, say, desegregation), how does treating people equally benefit the minority over the majority? It can't, by definition.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Obs, have you ever written a post that was longer than three sentences?

You know, something that shows that you're capable of stringing together words into longer, more complex thoughts than nonsensical talking points?

Have you ever had to write an essay for school, or anything like that?

Qingu on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As I live in a country where same sex marriage is legal, can someone from The America tell me why people are having such a hard time with it?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    As I live in a country where same sex marriage is legal, can someone from The America tell me why people are having such a hard time with it?

Gay people are icky. There's also some vague, ill-defined fear of "changing the definition of marriage" that no one can really articulate the effects of, but that just boils down to "gay people are icky" as well.

EDIT: Note, for the easily confused, that I am saying the prevailing cause of gay marriage opposition is homophobia. I am not myself stating that I personally think gay people are icky. I'm sure some of them are.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »

Religion and ignorance.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So if I'm understanding this right, California has civil unions which provide the same rights as marriage?

If this is the case, I'm fine with Prop 8. Don't give a shit about the word "marriage". If religious people care that much about the word in a legal context, them voting to protect it is cool with me, as long as it doesn't infringe on any actual rights.

Was this the case from the beginning? If so, what was all the fuss about?

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    So if I'm understanding this right, California has civil unions which provide the same rights as marriage?

If this is the case, I'm fine with Prop 8. Don't give a shit about the word "marriage". If religious people care that much about the word in a legal context, them voting to protect it is cool with me, as long as it doesn't infringe on any actual rights.

Why should religious people get to define a word that predates their stupid religion?

Qingu on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

There are a couple issues:

1. Separate but equal...
    2. Marriage, in the context of the states, is a civil contract, not a religious contract.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

So far as I can tell, this wasn't how Prop 8 was intended to work, but it seems that the court interpreted it this way. They seem to be saying that since the only difference between the two institutions is the name, that Prop 8 doesn't actually effect the equal protection clause. I'm not entirely certain I agree. Separate being inherently unequal and all that. But the fact remains that 3 years ago, gay couples couldn't get any form of marriage, and now they can get a domestic partnership and get all the same benefits and rights and everything that a straight marriage gets, so all in all this is a step forward I think.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Does the difference between a domestic partnership and a marriage affect how the union is recognized by other states?

Bama on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

1. Separate but equal...

Point is, is there any practical difference at all from the legal perspective? Even if the whole "separate but equal" thing applies here, is it a battle worth fighting right now?
    2. Marriage, in the context of the states, is a civil contract, not a religious contract.

Clearly, they believe otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but they see it as interfering with their religious rights. On this forum, we typically talk about separation of church and state in the context of keeping religion out of government, but remember that it's supposed to go both ways. I don't see this as the government sticking its hands in the religion cookie jar, but I can see how they might feel that way, regardless of when the term "marriage" originated.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    How the hell might they feel that way? I mean, rationally.

Bama on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

1. Separate but equal...

Point is, is there any practical difference at all from the legal perspective? Even if the whole "separate but equal" thing applies here, is it a battle worth fighting right now?

Clearly, they believe otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but they see it as interfering with their religious rights. On this forum, we typically talk about separation of church and state in the context of keeping religion out of government, but remember that it's supposed to go both ways. I don't see this as the government sticking its hands in the religion cookie jar, but I can see how they might feel that way, regardless of when the term "marriage" originated.

and religions that are fine with gay marriage? what of them?

the catholics and mormons don't own the word marriage.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Bama wrote: »

I think I found your problem.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Beginning from what? In re Marriage Cases provided the larger victory of noting that you couldn't have statutes or any legal governmental service of marriage being denied to a couple based on their sexual orientation as the institution of marriage was a basic human/civil right. Unfortunately, Proposition 8 was enacted at about the same time so you had both that case set down its ruling while the proposition took away the name 'marriage'.

It wasn't until this decision that the court outlined the extent of Prop 8's influence, which is to say, only a semantic one due to a number of legal reasons.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    MalyonsusMalyonsus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It seems pretty clear to me (again, I obviously have an opinion on the whole issue) that if legalizing gay marriage is the state putting its hand in the church's cookie jar, then having a legal institution of marriage at all is the state putting its hand in the church's cookie jar.

But I mean, yeah, you're right, that's how a lot of them feel. I've had numerous people try to use exactly that argument, Orem.

Malyonsus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I think I found your problem.

Right, right, I was just trying to understand Orem's sympathy.

Bama on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For those interested, this is a map detailing the recognition of same sex marriage in the U.S.

and there is a similar one for Europe.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Because marriage has so often been tied to the church throughout United States history? Because within our traditions as a country, they are related? I don't regard this as a basis for law, but as I said, I can understand the perspective of those who do. Understanding does not signify agreement.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I just think that "feeling" dissolves so quickly under even casual scrutiny as to be disregarded. It's like if I said "well I can understand how some people might feel like the CIA has implanted a microchip in their brain that records their thoughts and transmits them back to a field agent." I understand that it's because they're fucking crazy.

Bama on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "It's tradition" is not an excuse for standing in the way of equality.

Tach on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Does the difference between a domestic partnership and a marriage affect how the union is recognized by other states?

To my knowledge, no. Even if it did, aren't there only one or two states which recognize out-of-state gay marriages but don't grant their own? It's kind of a non-issue. Especially since neither is going to be recognized federally, either.
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    So far as I can tell, this wasn't how Prop 8 was intended to work, but it seems that the court interpreted it this way. They seem to be saying that since the only difference between the two institutions is the name, that Prop 8 doesn't actually effect the equal protection clause. I'm not entirely certain I agree. Separate being inherently unequal and all that. But the fact remains that 3 years ago, gay couples couldn't get any form of marriage, and now they can get a domestic partnership and get all the same benefits and rights and everything that a straight marriage gets, so all in all this is a step forward I think.

Well, the odd things is that when you're talking about a legal contract/construct you truly can make them "separate but equal." Unlike water fountains or schools, which will be inherently different (being discrete...things) and which will almost certainly become quite unequal (the entire intent being discrimination), it's possible to make two contracts exactly alike except for the name at the top ("Partnership" versus "Marriage"). And to grant the exact same rights to both. To the point that there is literally zero functional difference between the two. Unlike, again, schools/water fountains/bus seats/whatever.

I personally still oppose it ("it" being separate civil partnerships) on principle, and because I think the religious opposition is being fucktarded (despite being religious myself), but I think comparing it to other past forms of "separate but equal" fails due to the above.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

1. Separate but equal...

Legally, there are something like 800-1500 rights and privilages accorded to marriage but not to civil unions across the united states. Most are pretty minor, but some are pretty serious. Some can be duplicated via special legal contracts that married people do not have to spend the time, effort and money to acquire. Some simply cannot be replicated.

And there's a very real sense that it's a self-destructive compromise, since it de factor acknowledges the intolerant view that gay marriage isn't "real marriage." Basically the symbolism is important and can't be ignored.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »

Well, the odd things is that when you're talking about a legal contract/construct you truly can make them "separate but equal." Unlike water fountains or schools, which will be inherently different (being discrete...things) and which will almost certainly become quite unequal (the entire intent being discrimination), it's possible to make two contracts exactly alike except for the name at the top ("Partnership" versus "Marriage"). And to grant the exact same rights to both. To the point that there is literally zero functional difference between the two. Unlike, again, schools/water fountains/bus seats/whatever.

I personally still oppose it ("it" being separate civil partnerships) on principle, and because I think the religious opposition is being fucktarded (despite being religious myself), but I think comparing it to other past forms of "separate but equal" fails due to the above.

I think this may in part be why the court ruled as it did, after taking the stance of the previous cases as well as outlined the extremely limited effect of Prop 8.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Probably not. If Alabama won't recognize or grant same-sex relationships any rights, a same-sex couple from California that moves to Alabama is out of luck regardless of whether they were married or in a domestic partnership in California.

Brian888 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Legally, there are something like 800-1500 rights and privilages accorded to marriage but not to civil unions across the united states. Most are pretty minor, but some are pretty serious. Some can be duplicated via special legal contracts that married people do not have to spend the time, effort and money to acquire. Some simply cannot be replicated.

This is important, because even if California were to create an exactly equal construct within their borders, it wouldn't mean jack shit across state lines. So if a gay couple were to travel to (or through) Idaho, or Alabama, or really any other state and one were to wind up hospitalized (accident, whatever) they could well be fucked on that front...because they're not "married."

Of course, even "married" they might well be fucked if the backwards-ass state they're in doesn't recognize the marriage.

But whatever.

It matters. Which kinda contradicts what I said above, but I was thinking from a strictly in-state perspective.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

1. Separate but equal...

In California, this isn't the case, at least according to the Attorney General. Domestic partnerships offer the same substantive rights as marriage.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited May 2009

1. Separate but equal...

But does that have anything to do with California's ruling? I understand that this is the case federally, but is there any difference in how the state of California treats civil unions and marriages? That's the main question I was asking earlier.
    And there's a very real sense that it's a self-destructive compromise, since it de factor acknowledges the intolerant view that gay marriage isn't "real marriage." Basically the symbolism is important and can't be ignored.

That's kind of the point, for many religious people. To them, it's not real marriage and it never will be. And I fully support their right to believe that and say that and whatever else the fuck they want as long as they don't actually infringe on the rights of others.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Aegis wrote: »

I think this may in part be why the court ruled as it did, after taking the stance of the previous cases as well as outlined the extremely limited effect of Prop 8.

Even in this example, however, "separate but equal" may not always be equal. Say someone in a domestic partnership gets sick and his partner wants to visit him in the hospital, said hospital having a policy that states that only spouses may visit. A hospital employee who was feeling dickish theoretically could deny the domestic partner the right to visit, on the grounds that he's not a spouse. Now, if "domestic partnership" was defined as "marriage in all but name," a court would strike down that policy right quick. It's a pain in the ass, though; the partner would actually have to sue the hospital, which takes time and money, and in the meantime he still wouldn't get to see his partner. There is simply no good reason beyond some vague sense of religious offense (and hence no good reason at all) to deny the status of marriage to homosexuals.

Brian888 on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

No, DOMA invalidates any right to reciprocity regardless of what the 'Constitution' might tell you.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That's kind of the point, for many religious people. To them, it's not real marriage and it never will be. And I fully support their right to believe that and say that and whatever else the fuck they want as long as they don't actually infringe on the rights of others.

I don't. Because that's silly, and a piss-poor standard to hold laws to.

Regardless, is there some reason you don't support the rights of the various churches that are willing to marry two consenting adults to have their marriages recognized like any other? Mainstream Christianity (plus Mormonism) is not the only religion in this country, so why should they alone get to define the institution of marriage?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    moniker wrote: »

No, DOMA invalidates any right to reciprocity regardless of what the 'Constitution' might tell you.

DOMA is irrelevant. Since time immemorial, the states have been free not to recognize marriages from other states.

Brian888 on
  • Options
    DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009

Which ones can't be replicated?

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

In the abstract, yes this is true. However marriage rights don't exist in some void where ignorant human beings and institutions cannot get to them. Very much like water fountains or schools, someone with a perfectly valid claim to the same discrete things as a married person can and will be denied them due to the inability to legally claim that the guy in the ER who you don't realize is allergic to penicillin is their spouse. Given the time sensitive nature of a lot of the rights and responsibilities granted by marital status, simply having the power to win your case in court several months after the fact does not really enhance the argument, either.

Plus the whole, Civil Unions have yet to actually perfectly mirror Civil Marriage rights so it's still an academic distinction to claim that it is theoretically possible to make the two the same. Because at the moment the two institutions are separate and unequal.

moniker on
This discussion has been closed.